The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

21mm lens option questions

dmabry2010

Hello!

As I had posted earlier, I took a bunch of lenses with me on our 20th anniversary cruise. I also converted from an M8 to an M9.

Now that I am back, I have been reconfiguring my lens kit to reflect what I learned and adjust for the M9.

I took with me a WATE 16-18-21. Of the three settings on the M9, I prefered the 21mm. Especially for interior shots. But, the f4 was slow, especially where flash was not allowed.

Since returning, I sold the WATE and am now looking for a faster 21mm, probably the f2.8.

I am trying to get feedback to compare the Elmarit-M and the Zeiss Biogon. In reading the literature, the Zeiss Biogon gets great reviews and has been complimented for minimal distortion.

I will be shooting interiors (where I think distortion matters) and landscape (where perhaps distortion is not as much an issue).

Thank you for any insight you may offer.

Michael

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The 21 Summilux is outstanding for interiors and low light (obviously). I find that I use my WATE for landscapes mostly but the 'lux rocks. As it should!

Double Negative

Not Available
The 2,8/21 Biogon ZM is a great lens. I'm currently using the 4/18 and 2,8/25 combo at the wide end, but am considering a move (or addition) to this one.

The 21 Lux is no doubt a great lens as well, but expensive and large - and personally, I don't know if I care for the bokeh.

Just stay away from the slower 4,5/21 Biogon C ZM on the M9.

hdrmd

If the price is no object , then the Summilux is a special lens; F1.4 is hard to beat when you need it. DR

ashwinrao1

Agreed with Graham and HDRMD...the 21 lux is special...huge but special, and of course, bokeh is very subjective. I agree with Double Negative that the bokeh can be a bit geometric, but to me, the images from the Lux, including some of Graham's totally pop and have a certain amazing Leica charm. If it weren't so big, I'd have gone for it, but I settled on a 24 lux instead...

dmabry2010

The 2,8/21 Biogon ZM is a great lens. I'm currently using the 4/18 and 2,8/25 combo at the wide end, but am considering a move (or addition) to this one.

The 21 Lux is no doubt a great lens as well, but expensive and large - and personally, I don't know if I care for the bokeh.

Just stay away from the slower 4,5/21 Biogon C ZM on the M9.
Thanks to everyone with suggestions.

It looks like I am following the path described by Double Negative. I just purchased a 2.8/25, and I am looking for a 4/18.

No doubt I will pick up a 2.8/21 eventually.

So many choices.

Thanks again, to all.

Michael