The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEW LENS ALERT - Cosina Voigtlander 75 mm f/1.8 in M mount

Mike Woods

Hi all,

Just wanted to alert you to a new 75 mm lens on the block, the CV 75 mm f/1.8 Heliar:

http://translate.google.com/transla...gt/v-lens/v-l-m/75-1.8/index.html&sl=ja&tl=en

Looks interesting. Bigger than the 75 APO-Cron and smaller than the 75 lux, 10 blade aperture. If the prior 75 f/2.5 is any indication, this could be a really nice lens at a price point, 0.9 m close focus (not too shabby), f1.8!!! and it looks pretty well built
Hi Ashwin,

Don't you just love Google Translate...."taste sweet bokeh" - sounds positively yummy :D

Anyway, my used 75 f2.5 arrived this morning to round out my CV collection so I don't expect to be jumping on this anytime soon, but certainly nice to see further additions to the range.

Have a good weekend.

Mike

Double Negative

Not Available
FYI, this lens is being called "dreamy" wide open and a "portrait lens." So if you're looking for sharp wide open performance, this may not be the lens for you.

I know I was excited initially, but it's rating a full-on "meh" now. I do enjoy the 1,2/35 Nokton tremendously and am considering the 1,1/50 Nokton now that I have an M9. But it looks like they'll be without further company.

ashwinrao1

Yeah, looks like Cosina may be targetting the look of the 75 lux, like they did with the Nokton 35 f/1.4 targetting the look of the pre-aspherical summilux. I think the strategy is interesting, create a niche producing new lenses that render a look quite different than Leica's crusade for perfection by making lenses essentially 1 generation or 2 behind what Leica's doing. Probably means easier manufactur, less exotic or cutting edge elements, cheaper production and manufacture.

I was laughing too, Mike, about the sweet yummie bokeh! HAHA...AWESOME! I do hope it's sweet and yummie for real, maybe a winner. We'll see.

My guess is that it will fall in line with the Nokton 35 Nokton or 50 nokton 1.5 for performance. I think they should make a 90 f/1.8 and have something truly unique next...hahah...

Might be interesting. I had trouble focusing 75 Lux because of its long focus-throw, so I use a Summicron. But I get some less-than-fortunate (sour?) bokeh with it & find it too 'clinical' except at widest apertures. Perhaps this will be the porridge that's just right for me.

Kirk

etrigan63

I have the CV 75mm 2.5 which has pretty nice bokeh if used correctly. Let's hope that Mr. Kobiyashi will keep his word with this lens.

henningw

Tom Abrahammson has posted some pics taken with this lens...big sucker. More test shots and shots of the lens:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rapidwinder/tags/voigtlanderheliar75mmf18/
I shot some photos with Tom's lens (which he's had since about April) last week and it has indeed close to 75 Summilux rendition. It's called 'Heliar classic', and apparently uses a formula similar to those portrait lenses of the 50's. It actually looks quite sharp, but it's forte is portraits, especially wide open. If I didn't have the Summilux I would be very interested in this lens.

In my opinion the .9m minimum focussing distance is unfortunate, but Mr. Kobayashi has calculated once again that making it focus closer would a)cost more and b)show up poor performance at closer distances. I would still prefer it that way. Build quality is quite good, with a rather fiddly two part hood. Focus throw is quite short.

Henning

Paratom

Might be interesting. I had trouble focusing 75 Lux because of its long focus-throw, so I use a Summicron. But I get some less-than-fortunate (sour?) bokeh with it & find it too 'clinical' except at widest apertures. Perhaps this will be the porridge that's just right for me.

Kirk
the 75 Summarit could also be the right lens for you.

jonoslack

Kirk
Oh Kirk
My 75 'cron is rarely off one of my M9 bodies - I think the bokeh is definitely yummie - and it's sharp too. I've got a Nocti and a 24 'lux, but I still think that the 75 'cron is my all time favorite M lens. . . . . I guess it just goes to show that good bokeh is in the eyes of the beholder.

all the best