The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X1 + external viewfinder: any best practices?

carlosecpf

Hi all,

I bought a X1 3 days ago and I am liking it A LOT. The IQ is out of this world.
I am using Leica's 36mm Viewfinder as I don't like composing on LCD and hope this will help me to save battery by not using the LCD at all.

Yesterday it was my first day using this setup and I was able to get 330 shots (DNG+S.Fine Jpgs), 30% than the reported official battery life. Not bad.

However, the only caveat that I had was focusing efficiently and accurately on on the subjects. I used the 1 AF Center point as I thought it would be easier to lock focusing and recomposing through the external viewfinder. When I got back home and check the pictures on my 24" screen, I noticed that several of my subjects where OOF to my surprise.

Does any of you guys uses an external finder with your X1? If so, is there any best practice or tip regarding focusing precisely you could share with me?

Thanks!

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I use the the VF too, and centre point focus. I simply make sure that I half-press the shutter to lock focus with my subject right in the middle of the VF, and then recompose to shoot.

Sometimes it's hard to gauge exactly where the middle of the VF is so I check the shot on the screen if I'm in doubt. So far, no problems.

But it would have been helpful for Leica to have provided a dot right in the middle of the VF!

Hope this helps,
Bill

Paratom

I have to say that I only occasionally tried an external viewfinder on the x1 and had the same problem.

Thats why I still use mostly the display. I also prefer the size of the x1 without external viewfinder. Setting the display to bright helps and while the display isnt great I feel its good enough.
Even with the display I sometimes feel the need to switch to spot-focus when I do shallow DOF things, for example want to focus exactly on the eyes on a close person.
I shoot a lot in the closer distances and there you just got the parallax problem when using an external viewfinder.

carlosecpf

Thanks Bill!

I am still trying to get the AF right by focusing in the middle of the VF. I am becoming better at this and I guess with more practice, it won't be a problem.
I am also trying to master manual focusing with my X1 by estimating distance of the subject to a given aperture value.

carlosecpf

I shoot a lot in the closer distances and there you just got the parallax problem when using an external viewfinder.
Thanks! Missing a couple of good shots was enough to learn about parallax problems! It would be great if X1 had a built-in OVF like the one in my Leica CM.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

The X1 VF does have markings for parallax correction but of course they're not as good as the screen. The primary reason I use the VF is simply for avoiding camera shake. It's very difficult to hold a camera still at the end of one's reach!
Bill