The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M8 Abstracts...

gero

Any thought is an abstraction so we ARE abstraction. What I find chalenging about fotography is that 99% of us (humans) think we have the monopoly on it and still think that a picture is true to its subject (or it represents it).

I guess it is just a really big lie.

gero

So here is an abstraction of an abstraction. Just bein really presumtious.

Earth abstract

Last edited:

gero

I read the other day that the Incas didn't leave any writing documents because did it through knitting and the documents where in the end cloth that rot.
I am wandering how this things looked? where they beautiful?

A digital document is just that; information. Can you wright a poem in an image file? can you tell your life story through images?

gero

I read the other day that the Incas didn't leave any writing documents because did it through knitting and the documents where in the end cloth that rot.
I am wandering how this things looked? where they beautiful?

Last edited:

gero

We generally think of abstraction as of form (into geometric shapes, a shape or group of shapes that we can't figure out) these "abstract" form can trigger our imagination.

But it can be, also, of space (a place) or of time or both. This sometimes is cataloged as nostalgia or kitch (cursi) but it might be a grate place to experiment. Or maybe formal abstraction is related to the Avantgard art (where it was at some time experimental) and therefor it's "cool".

I guess they are just tools that we can use to express, be more literal or discrete etc... but the most literal can be the most discrete.

so there

Last edited:

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
In spite of all the narrative, I like that last shot of the people with the sky behind them. Maybe not for the reasons you selected it as an example of abstraction, but I like it nonetheless.

gero

thank you Mr. Smith

but I'll try to prove you wrong:

In terms of time;
1-the two girls are sisters and the small one look's very much the same as the big one in pictures of her when she was the same age.
2-there is also the age reference in the background of the mother and child. this reasures the pairs.
3-It is just simply a digital snap of time,place and event which just changes in relevance to where and when you see it again. (in 2,000 years when we all live in mars?)

In terms of space;
1- for anyone that looks at it they know that it is outside, day etc... (in this earth)
2- for me, It remanids me of Veracruz (which I like) but that feeling would change if an earthcuake would hit that place.
3- and you like the sky but that would change if I told you it was shot in las vegas inside a large hotel

In terms of form;
You might like the abstract definition of the edge of the sky or the high shadow definition where you can hint the eyes of the small girl that I got by lowering the contrast in the M8 RAW file.

Last edited:

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Well, umm, ok. If you say so. I like the way the girls' hair is blowing around in the air. The sense of evening light. A comfortable group, happy to be together.

Whether any of that is true doesn't change how I feel about it. Your words do not add or detract from the photo in any way.