The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

how often you shoot yourNoctilux or your 35/1.4 wide open???

Paratom

Ok, I am debating with myself - wanting lenses like a 50/1.0 or 0.95 or a 35/1.4asph or 21 and 24/1.4 - how much is lust and how much would one really have an practible advantage?

How much difference do we see in an image from using a 35mm lens at f1.4 and at f2.0 full frame? Browsing through the 35mm images in LFI I realized they were nearly all from the Summicron and Summarit. Even with a crop sensor and f2.8 of the x1 one can still generate some shallow DOF.

I do know that I like having f1.4 in my 24mm lens though and do use it quite often.

I also do know that I am quite happy with f1.4 in my 50mm lens - occasionally I think I would shoot f0.95 but seldemly and the price of the Noctilux is just too much for me for those 5 images a year.

But I am "fighting" with myself if I should add the new 35/1.4asph, or keep the 35/2.5 (I like its drawing a lot, I like its size, what I dont like is the longer minimum distance), or maybe the in between the 35 Summicron....

Anyways, how do you guys feel. How much is lust for speed, and how much do you really shoot wide open, maybe also some images ....

TOM

jonoslack

Hi Tom
Well, I have the 35 lux and the nice summarit, and the 'lux gets the lion's share of the use - but it's more to do with the minimum focus than the f1.4. But then the size of the 35 'lux isn't that great (especially without the lens hood).

I have had a Noctilux, and I did like it - but in the end the times I wanted to use it (bars mostly) was the time I was most scared of losing/dropping it, and also the time I most appreciated something small. So it went. I do sometimes miss it in theory, but I can't ever remember thinking 'I wish I had a Noctilux' when I was actually out shooting.

I'd also like a 75 'lux . . . . but having tried Cam's this week I know I don't want the extra weight (and I love my 75 'cron anyway).

I'm actually equivocal about the 35 'lux (lovely though it is) - on the other hand you couldn't prise my 50 'lux off my camera.

So, for me, I'm pretty happy the way I am right now, and my real criteria is a mixture of speed / minimum focal length / size.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Jono's experience seems to match mine pretty well. In the end I used the 50mm lux pre-asph as my main lens unless I was using the 28 cron.
My main issue with the 50 nocti was that razor thin dof and an open loop focsing mechanism in dark situations with my far from perfect eyes ended up disappointing more often than not.
-bob

Paratom

Hi Tom
Well, I have the 35 lux and the nice summarit, and the 'lux gets the lion's share of the use - but it's more to do with the minimum focus than the f1.4. But then the size of the 35 'lux isn't that great (especially without the lens hood).

I have had a Noctilux, and I did like it - but in the end the times I wanted to use it (bars mostly) was the time I was most scared of losing/dropping it, and also the time I most appreciated something small. So it went. I do sometimes miss it in theory, but I can't ever remember thinking 'I wish I had a Noctilux' when I was actually out shooting.

I'd also like a 75 'lux . . . . but having tried Cam's this week I know I don't want the extra weight (and I love my 75 'cron anyway).

I'm actually equivocal about the 35 'lux (lovely though it is) - on the other hand you couldn't prise my 50 'lux off my camera.

So, for me, I'm pretty happy the way I am right now, and my real criteria is a mixture of speed / minimum focal length / size.
Jono,
thank you. do I understand right that you have not finally decided to keep the 35lux or the 35 Summarit (or both?)
I agree on the 50lux which I would not want to give up.
I put my order for a 35lux "on ice" of today and will try to cinvince myself that I dont need it haveing the 24 and 50 at f1.4 and the Summarit in between.

Paratom

Jono's experience seems to match mine pretty well. In the end I used the 50mm lux pre-asph as my main lens unless I was using the 28 cron.
My main issue with the 50 nocti was that razor thin dof and an open loop focsing mechanism in dark situations with my far from perfect eyes ended up disappointing more often than not.
-bob
Both the Nocti 1.0 and older 35/1.4 asph were not reliable enough for me regarding focus shift - so these older designs-as nice as they are - are no alternative for me personally and caused the same disappointment that you seemed to get.

I assume the new designs are more predictable here. Still the 50/0.95 is just too expensive, big, long minimum focusing distance - so I find the 50/1.4 a much better compromise.

With 35mm I find the decession a litle harder.

cam

just chiming in as i am someone that uses my fast lenses wide open quite a bit.

my favourite combo if i'm out for the day and know i will go well into the evening is to shoot the 35/1.4 (pre-asph or asph, starting at f/8 if there's sun and then slowly going down to f/1.4) until the light fails and i have to change to the Nocti for f/1...

i love the 35 Lux in all its incarnations but, to be honest, the bokeh can be less than pleasing at times when it's stopped down. if i know i am only shooting with sunlight or in conditions where i can keep the ISO low, i stick to my first generation 35 Cron. pleasing always, at times spectacular! (because of the coating, however, high ISO gets too muddy.)

now the Noctilux is a lens unto itself -- i love love love it! i love it all apertures, as a matter of fact. the only downside, of course, is the 1m close focusing... i imagine i will be using quite frequently when (when?) i get an M9. the Nocti (i have an E58 f/1) along with the 75 Lux (sorry, Jono, we disagree here) are the last two lenses i'd part with.

in your shoes, though, i think having both the 24 and the 50 at f/1.4 should be enough -- especially if you're on full frame... i think i'd look for a used f/1 before buying the 35 Lux if i was in your shoes and had what you do. f/1 is special.

however, you have to be willing to risk it and take it into those bars at night. otherwise, why bother?

ETA: oops! just saw your response to Bob... never mind.... i'll shut up now.

jonoslack

Tom; To be fair to the old Nocti - I didn't find focusing too hard.
I ended up shooting a whole wedding reception with it (mostly wide open) on the M8, as the official photographer was a little . . . . erm. It was fine.

Sam and Anna

I don't disagree with you about the 75 'lux Cam except for the significance of the size - yours was lovely (even if it did front focus by abut 3ft 6 on my M9 :p).
certainly agree with you about taking it to bars - but then it's big, even if you aren't worried about it's safety (and the 0.95 is quite a bit bigger again). . .
Let's face it, with respect to these lenses, on an M9, all roads lead back to the current 50 'lux; Small, Fast, Great Bokeh. Generally speaking in combination with a 28 'cron.

Double Negative

Not Available
f/1.0 or f/1.4 is nice when you need it, but the rest of the time you have to schlepp around a bigger, heavier lens that's probably a lot more expensive - compared to something much more "reasonable" the other 95% of the time.

I can't say with authority, as I don't have a Nocti (yet?) but it's the same way with my 1,2/35 Nokton. I love it to death, but I'd much rather roam around with the 2/35 Biogon ZM or 2,5/35 Color Skopar most of the time. Of course, when I expect low or available light, it's my first choice...

Ricnak

The 35/1.4 is my favourite lens on the M9. I usually use it wide open.

Mine is "broken". The aperture ring has no clicks and the focus ring often jams up. I can't bring myself to send it off for repair. The thought of being without it......

I have the 50/1.4. I use it less. The 50/0.95 - If I had one..... I would be dreaming.

f 10

I use the Noctilux almost exclusively at open aperture.
When there is too many light, I go and screw a gray-Filter on it

Knorp

I use the Noctilux almost exclusively at open aperture.
When there is too many light, I go and screw a gray-Filter on it
Same here, as much as possible wide open and if needed I add a 0,6 or even a 0,9 Grey ND slim line filter [ES60].

Kind regards.

Knorp

now the Noctilux is a lens unto itself -- i love love love it! i love it all apertures, as a matter of fact. the only downside, of course, is the 1m close focusing... i imagine i will be using quite frequently when (when?) i get an M9. the Nocti (i have an E58 f/1) along with the 75 Lux (sorry, Jono, we disagree here) are the last two lenses i'd part with.
I'm with you CAM, the 75'lux and 50'noct is my favorite combo, too.
But what's big compared to the mad Summarex 85/1.5 ?

All the best.

cam

I'm with you CAM, the 75'lux and 50'noct is my favorite combo, too.
But what's big compared to the mad Summarex 85/1.5 ?

All the best.
alas, i never have gotten my hands on that beast, sigh... perhaps if i make it up your way, you might let me have a play? that and the Thambar have always been ones i've been dying to play with!

to the OP:

i think the secret is to love what you have and have what you love.

anything else is incidental, no matter what people may say you need...

i know cameras are said to be only tools, but good glass is something else altogether -- if you bond with it, it shows. if you don't, that shows too.

it' true, at least, for me.

Paratom

Thank you and I agree. Some lenses I just love and cant even explain why.
For example even though the 24/2.8 is a great lens I never used it much.
Now after replacing it with the 24lux I use 24mm much more often-even though its still the same focal length.

alas, i never have gotten my hands on that beast, sigh... perhaps if i make it up your way, you might let me have a play? that and the Thambar have always been ones i've been dying to play with!

to the OP:

i think the secret is to love what you have and have what you love.

anything else is incidental, no matter what people may say you need...

i know cameras are said to be only tools, but good glass is something else altogether -- if you bond with it, it shows. if you don't, that shows too.

it' true, at least, for me.

cam

Thank you and I agree. Some lenses I just love and cant even explain why.
For example even though the 24/2.8 is a great lens I never used it much.
Now after replacing it with the 24lux I use 24mm much more often-even though its still the same focal length.
hmmm, maybe you should consider the 35 Lux?

i think it really depends on how, what, and where you shoot... my pre-asph 35 Lux rarely left my Epson until night fall; the 35 asph Lux was (and will be) the same on my M8.

i often wish i had wider, but honestly can't afford it... still, i will go out with the bigger, longer, 35/1.4 lens more often than not because there are so many times i need it wide open and f/2 or slower won't cut it. granted, my favourite shooting venue used to be the Paris metros (which i don't have any more) and dark bars and cafes... i love going out to shoot at night as well.

winter is coming, with the overcast weather and early nightfall. get the 35 Lux and i think you may find that you'll start using it a lot more and yes, wide open. it isn't that big, truly, and the capability to get a little closer is priceless.

when i said i'd start out at f/8, that was when i was more in documentary mode of shooting (swift moving parades and the like)... i still prefer to shoot wide open if i want to isolate a subject -- i like the challenge and i love the look.

whilst my Nocti and my 75 Lux are pry from my dead hands lenses, the 35 Lux is what is i use day in, day out. it's my workhorse. i haven't regretted buying it for a second!

give yourself a chance to fall in love with 35mm all over again :D

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I am using all my LUX's many times wide open. Knowing that it might result sometimes in unsharp (out of focus) results, if I am not careful enough. But if you can nail the shot you are rewarded by a superb result. No matter if I use my Nocti, 35 Lux, 50 Lux or 75 Lux.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Tom,

On the M8, my favorite lens was the 35lux because I find that I really like the 50mm focal length on a full frame camera. So I made the radical choice to sell most of my other lenses when I started using the M9 and purchased the Noctilux ASPH. I use it as my do everything lens. With an ND filter in my pocket I've found that it is the lens that I use 90% of the time followed by my 75lux. I also still have a 21lux and 35lux, but they have been collecting dust.

The new Noct is very sharp wide open and is easier to focus on the M9 than I would have imagined.

Kurt

gero

I am shooting much less this year and when I do, I do it for joy and relaxation. I take ether: the 35 lux preasph or both that and the canon 25 3.4. I use ether the M8 or the M5. I usually shoot close to wide open. I got a chance to get the haselblad wide camera (also 35mm) and it is so nice.

Last edited: