The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M9 + Thumps up Ep-1

kuau

Workshop Member
Still getting the hang of my M9 and deciding on which lens I like to use.
I have a Thumps up EP-1 on my M9 right now which I like the way it handles but...
I want to use my little Leica flash sometimes and it's a pain in the butt to get the Ep-1 off.
I was thinking about trying the leica grip for the m9 how does this compare with using a EP-1 or do most people use both at the same time??
I also order a half case for my M9 from Zhou, still waiting for it to arrive, but then it dawned on me that if I want to put my M9 on a tripod/monopod I have to remove the half case uggg again seems like a hassle to me.

Any suggestion on what to do?

Steven

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I found that I either used the Thumbs up or a grip but the pair together wasn't necessarily needed.

The Leica grip, PhotoEquip MD-grip or the Really Right Stuff grips are all very good. I found it best to have a grip base for use on the tripod and a standard base for use with my Luigi case.

D

disambiguated

I use the Thumbs Up! and the grip together - so far, I haven't made use of a flash unit on my M9.

Hopefully, the Match Technical folks will come up with some kind of hotshoe extender which allows use of both the Thumbs Up! and a flash unit together - perhaps you should write them and ask?

D&A

I use the Thumbs up when the camera is in a case (which has a built in grip). When I have the need to use the camera on a tripod, I take camera out of its case and put on a Leica grip which has a small Arca swiss type QR plate attached to it. It takes a moment but have found this is the quickest solution for me. Rarely though do I carry the Leica grip w/QR plate unless I feel I'm going to need/use it. I I find having both a grip (from either a Lecia grip or one built into thecamera case and a thumbs up in addition)..provides the best feel for me personally. Having one or the other (though not a grip AND a thumbs-up at the same time) also provides additional grip over a "naked camera" and some prefer to use it this way. I prefer to have both.

Recently there seems to be a more elegant solution to using the camera with possible tripod use in both horizontal and vert. orientations from RRS. Since I don't have it (yet), I'll let others who have recently tried out this addition, chime in...and I believe there is also a thread describing its (RRS) use.

*** I too am a bit perplexed as to why the newest Thumbs-up like the CSEP-1 with hot shoe, doesn't make contact with the camera's hot shoe when the little allen key bolt is cinched down. Not sure if there would be a technical or liabilty issue but if the shoe on the thumbs up was to become a "hot shoe" or if a new model was designed as one...I think this would be a great boon to the product. Just a thought, especially since Tim the designer is so creative. Just a thought.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

charlesphoto

I don't know, I found the Thumbs Up to be great on my M8 and totally unnecessary on the M9. Might be the better material on the black M9 or I might have just grown out of it. Not having it does make using flash, finders etc more easy and accurate. But each to their own - it is a great device if one feels they need it. I have an M8 grip I use sometimes and it also has it's pros and cons.

Peter Klein

Another thumbs-up for the Thumbs Up. I consider it a necessary part of my M8. For the rare occasions when I use flash on the M8, I just take it off and live with it.

Some people have affixed a little stick-on rubber "foot" to the right rear of the M8. It's circular and about 1 cm in diameter. 3M makes them. That serves the same purpose as the Thumbs Up, but doesn't block the hot shoe. I think the Thumbs Up is so good that I'll put up with the inconvenience of taking it on and off occasionally.

Unless I'm very much mistaken, the latest Thumbs Up models have a cold shoe for use with an external finder, not a hot shoe for flash. A couple of years ago, I asked Tim Isaac of Match Technical about making a hot-shoe version of the Thumbs Up. He told me that he had considered it, but concerns about product liability made it a no-go. Many people don't understand that many older flashes have a high trigger voltage that could fry the M8's circuitry, and might blame the Thumbs Up if they damaged their M8.

--Peter

Last edited:

Don Libby

I had originally thought I might need a grip however after trying the Thumbs up I found I didn't need it. I also gave thought to a really nice leather home for the M9 until I thought more and decided I just didn't want the hassle of taking it out every time I needed to change the card or battery; that was all before RRS came out with their new bottom plate and I now more glad I didn't get a case as I'd never be using it.

Just my 2¢

Don

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Once I used the Thumps Up on my M8, I never used the grip again. And as I never used flash on my M8 the Thumps Up was on all the time.

I must say that I had combined the whole thing with a Y-strap, which made the handling and carrying of the M8 really a pleasure, very save and quick!

weinschela

Subscriber Member
"Recently there seems to be a more elegant solution to using the camera with possible tripod use in both horizontal and vert. orientations from RRS. Since I don't have it (yet), I'll let others who have recently tried out this addition, chime in...and I believe there is also a thread describing its (RRS) use."

I recently got the RRS base plste and grip combo. I find it very well made and better "fitting" to my hand than the Leica grip. It is smooth however and would benefit from some kind of leather like covering. I have tried one from cameraleather - applied it on my own from an uncut sheet, and that helps but i may continue to experiment. I've not used Thumbs Up. Too afraid I'll catch it on something and end up with a camera repair I don't need.

stephengilbert

Another vote for the RRS base plate and grip. I've used both the Leica grip and the RRS one, and find the RRS version much better, better made and more comfortable to hold. Plus, its base fits Arca/RRS tripod clamps.