The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Never too early to start shooting Leica

dfarkas

Workshop Member
You know it's never too early to start teaching the young ones about photography. Today, my daughter Sophia (15 months old) learned about taking pictures with an M8. She was pressing the shutter and checking out the funny pictures of Mommy and Daddy on the LCD. We even found a nice little Gitzo for her that was about her size.

The only thing she didn't like was when her SD card filled up... but then, who can blame her. :)

Kids are fun.

David

Hank Graber

Those last 2 of her reaction to the image coming up on the LCD are priceless. I still have the same reaction myself when I nail it :)

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Great series David. Now just wait until she turns seven, and starts asking Santa for one of her own, with a Noct of course <Grin>.

bradhusick

I love the last one. Her smile is great!

You're setting a precedent - she will only shoot with Leica, drive Ferrari, fly Gulfstream, sail Hinckley, etc.

That was your intent, right?

woodyspedden

David

I have been waiting a long time to see some images of Sofia and I must say these were worth the wait. Thanks for posting

Woody

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Thanks for the kind words.

I'm not sure if I'm creating a monster or not. :) Sophia certainly has an appreciation for the finer things in life, that's for sure. Hopefully she won't be asking Santa for too much too soon.

I started shooting with an SLR and printing in the darkroom at 7 years old. My plan is to step up her pace just a bit. :D With digital, it is just so easy now. And no Fisher Price cameras! Maybe not an M8, but maybe a D40 or D-Lux 3 or something like that. And I think we'll let her keep the Gitzo Basalt tripod, too. It fits her nicely and no one else seems to want it (too small).

David

irakly

hehe, she will have zero tolerance to low quality optics when she grows up. i started showing my daughter contax and leica pictures when she was six (admittedly, your girl has a substantial head start). then she got canon g4 a few years ago. then last year in her school photography class she had to shoot film, so i gave her contax n1 with 1.4/50. she told me at some point "i don't quite understand... even 6x4 B&W prints from both cameras look very much different, like something is wrong with canon, but i do not understand what" :)

David K

Workshop Member
Gosh David... I can't believe how big she is. Time really does fly. I look forward to Sofia giving the lighting seminar one of these days. As the father of two daughters I like my girls on that side of the camera :)