The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any differences in Canadian and German IV 35 'Corns?

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
My broker has told me I made a little more this year than I thought, so I'm rounding out my Leica lenses for the M8. I've found two version IV 35mm 'Crons both rate out about the same.

One is Canada 1982 production and the other is Germany 1994 production. there's about a 500 dollar delta in the two lenses.

Which one should I look at getting? Is there a reason for a premium on the German over the Canadian other than it's newer?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I was under the impression the Canadian is a version 3 and the German is the 4? Regardless, the one I've commented about is a German version.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
:not_worthy::banghead::cussing:

We added more smiles. i think we may need to edit a few. ROTFLMAO

robsteve

Subscriber
John:

They are both the same. The way to tell the Fouth version is the serial number and it had a huge rear element compared to the other Crons.

Looking at Erwin Puts site, the version 4 started after serail number 2,974,250.

The Canadian versions were the ones that got the moniker "Bokeh King". I would save the $500 and get the Canadian version.

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
One is an '82 serial #318xxxx (Leitz Lens Made in Canada on the filter ring) and the other is '94 serial #363xxx and just has Leitz on the filter ring.

So, It looks like I'll go with the Canadian, Hey!
Got to find a hood for it thought.

carstenw

Collectors seem to like the German copies more, but that is not something which should translate into any performance difference, just some kind of snobbism.