The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Would you buy your M8 again?

durrIII

I have almost decided to buy the M8. I shoot with a M6, 35 cron and 50 lux now. Mostly candids and portraits. Knowing what you know now, would you buy your M8 again? Thanks for any advise. Durr

JimCollum

I have almost decided to buy the M8. I shoot with a M6, 35 cron and 50 lux now. Mostly candids and portraits. Knowing what you know now, would you buy your M8 again? Thanks for any advise. Durr
in a heartbeat.. one of my favorite cameras in the last 30 years

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Ditto what Jim said. I *love* my M8s! Point in fact was our recent workshop in Puerto Rico. I took my Mamiya ZD too, but greatly preferred walking the streets with my M8s. Simply cannot beat them for street and travel cameras :thumbs:

Cheers,

M

matmcdermott

After using mine for over a year I've found that all of the usual complaints are overblown in practice, though true enough at the core. The shutter is noisier than an M6, other cameras have lower noise at ISO 1250 & 2500, build quality isn't quite what it used to be (mine is looking more worn after one year than my M6 did after three or four--and I'm not shooting any more). That said I would buy again in a second. In fact I'm thinking about getting another one this summer, though will probably buy used/demo this time due to the price increases.

bradhusick

Yes, in fact, I bought a second one. I keep the 28 cron on one and a 50 cron on the other. Guy called me "the six-shooter" because I had one on each hip.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
For my re-entry to photography I bought a Nikon D2xs in 2006 and then bought an M8 in 2007. I wish I'd bought the M8 first. I almost have to force myself to use the Nikon once in awhile (hmmm, maybe I should sell it :confused:).

As others have indicated, most of the reports concerning the M8's faults are true-ish, but in practice (IMHO) overblown and easily learned/dealt with. And the lenses... simply fantastic. I'd buy again in heart beat.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Well,
I will stop at the two I have.
It is the most enjoyable camera I have ever owned and has generated the best results for two reasons.
1) It has really good image quality
2) I tend to bring it almost everywhere so when pictures happen I have a shutter to press.
-bob

Terry

Yes! Probably the best thing that ever happened to my photography in many ways. Not only did reinforce the basics of DOF, framing, zooming with your feet, etc. etc. etc. but it introduced me to this community of amazing people.

jaapv

Subscriber Member
Yes. As a matter of fact I did, and that was two months after my first one, back when it was still being hammered on the internet too. Never regretted it for a second, even when opening my bank statements:eek:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I still think it is the closet thing to MF in terms of color , tone, saturation and look. Would i buy one again, hell trying to hold onto the one I have for pete sakes. I want something smaller that takes the M glass now:D

robertwright

After using mine for over a year I've found that all of the usual complaints are overblown in practice, though true enough at the core. The shutter is noisier than an M6, other cameras have lower noise at ISO 1250 & 2500, build quality isn't quite what it used to be (mine is looking more worn after one year than my M6 did after three or four--and I'm not shooting any more). That said I would buy again in a second. In fact I'm thinking about getting another one this summer, though will probably buy used/demo this time due to the price increases.
ditto. mine is looking pretty beat up compared to my M6 that I have had much longer, and both have ridden around in the same bag for the same time. I think the black chrome must be thinner?

The screen is a disaster, the anti-glare has come off unevenly although it is not scratched per se.

I would not buy a second body, but I have never had two of anything, so that is not unusual.

What I would avoid is running out and buying a bunch of lenses:confused: like I did, I think I only really use two or three.

Just bought a noct:eek:probably will sell it if I can't figure it out.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I work with 2 m8s and am shooting at a rate of about 1500 images a month. The big changes you will find with digital come form the ability to get immediate feedback . For example .....you can handle all sorts of difficult lighting and know you have it (no more blown highlights on a whole series of images). I often use the "throw away" capability of digital to evaluate a scene and then work on composition or wait for the moment. And of course you can be sure you nailed the focus . I bought a 3rd M8 for backup so that I know I will have two available.

PeterA

The M8 had only 2 design flaws - which stopped it being almost perfect.
1. It isnt full frame; and
2. The silly IR issue.
I agree with Jack, it is a fantastic travel and walk around camera - personally, I cant wait for the full frame version to arrive, so I can add that to my M kit.

jaapv

Subscriber Member
I think the FF issue is totally overblown. In my experience the 1.33 crop has very little influence on the "feel" of the lenses. After getting shorter lenses to compensate:cry:, I find I am back to shooting the 35, 50, 90 combo like I always shot before on film...