The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Would you buy your M8 again?

David K

Workshop Member
I am less enthusiastic about the M8 than I was before I got it, probably due to unrealistic expectations on my part. I envisioned myself shooting wonderful wide open lux shots at 35, 50 and 75 and the occasional Noct masterpiece as icing on the cake. Turned out that between focus shift on the 35, backfocus on the 50 and 75 luxes and the Noct that I didn't realize my vision. The camera is a superb travel companion for me but, truth be told, I still like my DMR better. Keep in mind I am not a "street" shooting kind of guy so much of what appeals to others with this camera is wasted on me. Nevertheless, I am delighted to see that the overwhelming response to this camera is positive. I'm a Leicaholic and proud of it :)

Stuart Richardson

Yeah, it's sad that not all the camera -- lens combinations worked all that well. Mine focused spot on with the 35/1.4 asph and the 75/1.4 in all the shots I could take, but the lens coding did not work and the rangefinder was out of vertical adjustment slightly. So I sent it in, and it came back with the lens coding working, the vertical adjustment perfect, but now the 75/1.4 is no longer spot on. I have not had the heart to try the 35/1.4 wide open at .7m yet. It's always something, right?

D

Digital Dude

Based on today’s market and recent events, I’m not so sure. However, I still like my M8 and Leica lens set of 50/24/35 so I consider myself quite vested in my own right.
Regards,:cool:

irakly

I am less enthusiastic about the M8 than I was before I got it, probably due to unrealistic expectations on my part. I envisioned myself shooting wonderful wide open lux shots at 35, 50 and 75 and the occasional Noct masterpiece as icing on the cake. Turned out that between focus shift on the 35, backfocus on the 50 and 75 luxes and the Noct that I didn't realize my vision. The camera is a superb travel companion for me but, truth be told, I still like my DMR better. Keep in mind I am not a "street" shooting kind of guy so much of what appeals to others with this camera is wasted on me. Nevertheless, I am delighted to see that the overwhelming response to this camera is positive. I'm a Leicaholic and proud of it :)
hm.... i am shooting 50 and 35 summiluxes wide open just fine. the only lens that gives me a headache is 2/90, but i already figured how to adjust focus to compensate.

David K

Workshop Member
hm.... i am shooting 50 and 35 summiluxes wide open just fine. the only lens that gives me a headache is 2/90, but i already figured how to adjust focus to compensate.
Wish I could say the same :( I am going to limit myself to the wide end with this system and see how that works out. This is still the best travel kit out there and I really don't want to give up on it.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
i would in a heartbeat
Da-dump da-dump ... (that's another heartbeat :D )

I simply love mine. Both of them. The worst thing is that they tempted me back to another film M after a couple of years in the wilderness shooting just digital and after selling my M6TTL. :wtf:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Had I known the pain to get my M8 working (focusing) with all my M lenses and knowing today's quality coming from a D3 or D300 I would definitely NOT.

The D300 I count as a similar stealth camera as the M8, I know a bit larger, but far more fast and comfortable especially when used with a zoom like the 18-200.

And the D3 gives me far superior image quality and again much more comfort due to AF and the Auto ISO, which I really miss now when using the M8.

Would I buy a FF M Digital? If this beast comes I would anticipating Leica have learned their lessons in focus accuracy, several helpful functions etc.

:toocool: