The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon 50mm 1.2 LTM shots

A

a_summarita

First I want to thank cyberguru for willing to part with this awesome lens a few weeks ago. The condition is pristine, considering how old this lens is and it takes better picture than I imagined (was really worried about sharpness and contrast).

Now I am thinking about keeping this and sell one of my 50mm Asph Summilux or Canon 50mm 0.95. :|

Hmmm – bokeh in the 2d shot is the strangest I've seen. But if you like it....

Did it come from the lens itself, or from sharpening the file?

Kirk

Last edited:
A

a_summarita

lens itself. the bokeh is indeed pretty wild (I've heard Canon F0.95 is even wilder)

Still need to take more shots to find a sweet utilization spot for this lens. Definitely a specialty, not a walk-around lens.

Double Negative

Not Available
^ The Canon f/1.2 and f/0.95 lenses both have some interesting bokeh. More so the latter... Agreed that they're not so much "everyday lenses" though. I tossed around the idea of picking up one or the other myself a few times. Heck, I almost bought THIS lens. :p

Brian S

This is with a Canon 50/1.2 made from parts lenses. Rear module dremeled out of one lens that was welded into place, which missing the front element and had aperture frozen at F16. Used to complete one that was missing the rear module.

Wide-open on the M8,

Tight crop of above.

Focus is spot-on, shimmed the "new lens" for my Canon P, worked perfectly with the M8.

At F4:

Tight Crop:

This is about as bad of a Canon 50/1.2 that you can find. Always use this lens at F1.2 on an M8 and do not worry about color aliasing.

A

a_summarita

Cool stuff Brian!

Double Negative: I am still waiting for my 0.95. It's been with DAG for months :(

Here's another recent canon 50 1.2 shot:

John Black

Pretty easy to find on Ebay for $400 to $600 depending on condition. Given the age of these lenses, it's best to assume a CLA will be needed. And of course, a LTM adapter will be needed as well.

dude163

Yes, I have a LTM adapter for my summaron already, and Ive seen some for around 300 that would need a CLA . tempting, as a Noctilux is a few grand and a Nokton is 900+

Plus I love vintage glass!

rifabagus

In the past I had been lukewarm about it, but over time I have come to cherish it. Make no mistake, it has caused me some troubles over the years. As others have written, there is a learning curve to the lens. The narrow aperture at f1.2 itself requires some practice but even beyond this, the lens has some quirks that, like a good friend, you learn to understand better and eventually start to like. I also have to say that when I started fussing with this lens some years ago I was using the 5D --which I still love-- but having upgraded to various other bodies such as the 5D II and others, the focusing reliability of this lens has improved dramatically.