The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Luigi M-MATE BASEPLATE ?

kuau

Workshop Member
Well after shooting with my M9 for over a month now, I am finding that I should probably use a tripod, Not always of course but I guess my hands shake to much sometimes :eek:

So I am thinking about getting a Gitzo 1541 tripod with the Gitzo 1780 BH,
amazon has them for 145.00 right now. I really don't want to go with the RRS BM9 Base Plate, etc.. but I was concerned that the OEM M9 baseplate is not that strong for attaching a QR plate like the one from Kirk, I was thinking about getting. So i was looking at the Luigi baseplate. Any thoughts on it?
I like the fact I can get a grey one that matches my M9 and of course the easy access to batter and SD card. Yet is it really any stronger then the OEM plate?
Is it worth the 240.00 on ebay?

Thanks
Steven

weinschela

Subscriber Member
Why don't you want to use the RRS baseplate? It is perfect for tripod use and it appears to be far more sturdy than the oem plate. The M-Mate is a clever idea but with its openings i doubt it is stronger than oem for tripod use and likely weaker especially to any accidental twisting. The RRS with a QR plate is fast on fast off for changing batteries and/ or cards. I dont think they make it in gray but I would choose function over fashion every time.

Don Libby

I've been using the RRS base plate for well over a month now and like it. It actually feels like it strengthens the base over the OEM. It also feels and fits just a little better in my hand.

thrice

I used a kirk QR plate for a while, and it has marred my original baseplate a little. It is strong enough though.

I now use the RRS baseplate and wouldn't go back, it is a MUCH sturdier and lower profile (if just using the base plate with no L or grip) solution.

kuau

Workshop Member
Don, Are you just using the base? Or the whole nine yards, there grip and L bracket?

kuau

Workshop Member
Daniel, same question to you are you just using the base plate minus the grip and L bracket?

Don Libby

Don, Are you just using the base? Or the whole nine yards, there grip and L bracket?
No grip as I don't feel I need one - then again I have a Thumbs Up.

I ordered mine with the L bracket thinking I'd leave it off till I actually needed to use it then after getting it and trying it I've just kept it on. While it dosen't add that much to the camera it does appear to help me in holding it.

Don

kuau

Workshop Member
Well I ordered the RRS plate and L bracket no grip.
See how I live it, if I don't I can always return it to RRS.

Steven

weinschela

Subscriber Member
I use the Rrs with grip but no L. Tbe nice thing about rrs is you can configure it as you like. I happen to like the grip a lot - better than the Leica grip.

thrice

Grip helps me, since I got rid of my thumbs up after it scratched my camera.

It's kinda weird, if I know I'm shooting tripod-bound I use the whole lot (base/grip/L), if I'm going on the street or shooting with flash I'll revert to the OEM baseplate and a half-case.