The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Special Limited Edition Noctilux-M

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
16k is a new VW for my daughter. After her graduation from HS last night if I came home with this , she would probably put the rope around my neck and she would be smart to do it. LOL

Too me that would be graduating with honors.

Tony C.

I'm both amused and amazed by the strong reactions (both here and on other Leica/RF forums) to this small special edition.

First of all, there are still used Noctilux lenses advertised for sale on a fairly regular basis, so it's not as if taking the last 100 out of circulation is going to prevent anyone who is already in the market from acquiring and using one.

Secondly, while none us who are interested in actually using the lens would spend that much extra money for the box and other trappings, I'm not at all sure that it won't be a good investment for those who do acquire them. Let's face it, the Noctilux will remain a legendary lens – for good reason in my view – for a very long time to come. And those who like to collect are likely to consider these final production examples to be very attractive.

Finally, while I am lucky to have originally bought mine at under $3,000 before prices began to spiral out of control, I am not celebrating their escalation in value. I say that because I do not plan to sell, and am increasingly uncomfortable with the idea of taking the lens on trips to places which are not especially safe. Replacing an M8, or any my other lenses, I can deal with. But the time is fast approaching when it won't be so easy to do so with a Noctilux.

robmac

If Solms had to satisfy their burning desire to produce yet another borderline silly collector edition, in stead of a 2x price on the lens plus a $6000 cigar keeper, they would have been better served instead to offer something like:

1. The last 100 Nocts paired with a custom-matched/calibrated a la carte M8 at a lower price or
2. Maybe a Low Light Set commemorating the last 100 Nocts by the above + say a matching serial number 35/1.4 (or a last of the spare parts bin 75/1.4s) for the $16K.

But $16K for an off the shelf $5000 lens and (what is effectively) fancy cedar-lined wooden box? That's a lot of rubles for 3 serial number digits.

Also, the OP's post didn't mention anything along the lines of custom 'Last 100' engraving on the barrel a la the CZ 85/1.2, etc. So, given Leica's sometimes 'erratic' serial number record keeping, will anyone, 10 yrs from now, even know, with any certainty, if the Noct in that box they're thinking of buying is one of the last 100?

Hell, at least they could have filled the humidor with 25 of Fidel's bespoke Cohibas.

robsteve

Subscriber
I don't know why anybody cares. When they sell it will be more cash for Leica and for the existing Noctilux owners, it just makes our lenses worth more.

Robert

robmac

Robert

It's cash for Leica, but can't see it doing anything for existing Noct prices - other than fact that production is coming to an end.

jonoslack

I don't know why anybody cares. When they sell it will be more cash for Leica and for the existing Noctilux owners, it just makes our lenses worth more.

Robert
I quite agree . . . added to which, if they 'invent' $1000000 profit with this, then how many years will that pay for a good R&D guy?

(I don't know the answer to this, but it must be at least three weeks). :)

robsteve

Subscriber
Robert

It's cash for Leica, but can't see it doing anything for existing Noct prices - other than fact that production is coming to an end.
Only time will tell on the Noctilux used price. I am betting it will go up, particularly on a Noctilux that focuses well like mine.

Robert

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Tony you bring up a good point and reason I sold my 35-70 2.8 R lens. I hated the fact that i had a 6k or more lens in my bag that i could damage , lose or get stolen at any given moment. As a Pro i work fast and anything can happen at any given time. I know i have insurance but having a lens you CANNOT replace easily was just to dangerous.

As far as a 16k Nocti, frankly never in my wildest dreams but that is me . i really don't care what people spend there money on. To me it is certainly not worth the investment but than again i am a working class guy with not the means to invest like this but many are so good for them. I rather spend it on more useful gear that I can actually use and make money from. But almost any Pro will say the same thing , there tools and for us that is all they are.

Stuart Richardson

I posted this on photo.net, but I guess my problem is not with the fact that the noctilux is expensive, its that they are charging such an ungodly amount for a lens that is IDENTICAL to the normal noctilux, only in a fancy box and with a special number. With the other special editions you got something just that -- different from what the regular products get you. Now, everyone went crazy when the Titanium M7 kit went for 10,000 dollars, and that was an M7 made out of titanium, along with a 50mm f/1.4 ASPH made of titanium, some book or something etc, only 50 or so. At least that was unobtainable otherwise, looked different (and cool, frankly), and it weighed less than the normal model. Same thing with the MP3 -- it was far cheaper, it looked special and came with a different type of lens that had a marginally different functionality. Anyway, I sort of understand those, though I would not buy them, because their price premium was based on the fact that the actually WERE different. This Noctilux (the lens alone) is more expensive (3 times as much as the MP3 and lens!), yet the only difference is the serial number and the humidor. I know I shouldn't be offended, but I am. It just strikes me as if they are even insulting the collectors.

D

Digital Dude

I own a couple of VW’s, and in 10-years they’ll likely still have some utility despite the $200.00 fill-ups. As for the dehumidifier, my son uses the $15.00 rubber tubular style for his 5k hand-made jazz guitars. Then again, here in Arizona, humidity isn't high most of the time so I guess that's an environmental perk. Just knowing that many Nocti’ owners paid less than 3k not too long ago is enough to keep me from wanting one. I have a hard time as it is, rationalizing the 9k I vested in three Leica primes. Then again, I’m just a retired Army sergeant with a meager means.
Regards,:rolleyes:

Last edited:

4season

When I was young, we were so poor that we couldn't afford to buy our Leicas packaged in French humidors, no, ours came in these plain cardboard boxes; I was so ashamed.

DaveB

particularly on a Noctilux that focuses well like mine.
I always wanted a Noctilux, but was appalled at the prices they brought. Then last fall an older example, one with the detachable hood, fell into my lap at a local estate auction.

This isn't an easy lens to use by any means. The DOF at 1.0 or 1.2 in normal shooting conditions makes for OOF photos as a result of operator error regardless of how well adjusted the lens may be. I wonder if more than a few of the complaints folks have with their lenses result from it being so much more difficult to use than other 50mm lenses.

It has taken me six months to get good control of it. Now I rarely take it off my camera.

Plus, I'm developing these cool Popeye forearms from carrying the thing.

D

Digital Dude

DaveB
Yeah, that’s exactly how I would have to end up owning one. I dream of stumbling across a lens like this at some cheesy garage sale where the person doesn’t know or care of it’s true value. As it is, I'm one of those unlucky guys' who ends up paying full-ticket for stuff because I never seem to be in the right place ($) at the right time.
Regards,:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Hank Graber

1. The last 100 Nocts paired with a custom-matched/calibrated a la carte M8
That would have made more sense to me considering the difficulty of getting these fast lens dialed in. At least it would have leveraged their expertise and products and had something more to do with actually taking pictures. Selling a cigar box worth more then the lens as a commemoration to a legendary optic is kind of lame.

If they put an M3 finder with just the 50 frame line at the 50 position and a blacked out M8 camera with black logo that would have been even better. Less outside costs to. I'm sure they paid a lot for the cigar boxes, better they move another 100 M8's.

irakly

i find this trick grossly offensive. lenses are made to shoot with them. nobody in a right mind will shoot with a 16K lens. so, leica consciously makes a piece of photo equipment that surely will never be used for its intended purpose. it sucks.

Stuart Richardson

Well, I know I find this a bit out there, but at least it is not as bad as that telephoto that Zeiss made...a telephoto lens so stupid, a human being cannot even lift it. It is the tsar pushka of camera lenses. I wonder what kind of box THAT comes in.

robmac

When I was young, we were so poor that we couldn't afford to buy our Leicas packaged in French humidors, no, ours came in these plain cardboard boxes; I was so ashamed.
Rightfully so...especially if you still have said lenses. Some self-mutilation may be required.
-----

$16K for low-volume high-end gear? No worries - but at least make it look like it's worth something resembling what you're asking for it.

I can see some Marketing 'genius' coming up with the idea (they have to do something all day long), but how it ever got through executive approval REALLY makes me wonder what in the hell Solms is up to.

Summarit lenses one day (nice) and then $16,000 for a normal production Noct in a humidor with $1.00 worth of desiccant in it vs. the usual florists foam (can't recall real name for the stuff) the next.

Nice focused strategy you've got there guys... keep it up.

4season

I'm hoping that Leica uses the profits to help subsidize the R10 prices in the US of A. (Under $5K, he dreamed).

M

Mango

The profit margins are higher on bottled water. And some of us continue to buy what is essentially filtered tap water. Are you one of them?