The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Special Limited Edition Noctilux-M

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Leica has just announced a special, limited edition Noctilux. These will be the very last 100 Noctiluxes ever made. They come in a special, custom humidor box hand-made by Elie Bleu Tabletier in Paris. Only 100 are being offered world-wide, which means only a handful will be offered in the US.

Price is $16,100 for this collectable edition. Delivery will start in July 2008.

You can check out more info on our website:

Leica Special Edition Noctilux-M 50mm f/1.0

M

matmcdermott

So you're paying $10,000...
for a wooden box...
albeit a remarkably beautiful...
wooden box.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Oh yea put me first in line to buy a lens i can't shoot. Problem is some num nut will buy them. They need to make product that sells to users not collectors

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Oh yea put me first in line to buy a lens i can't shoot. Problem is some num nut will buy them. They need to make product that sells to users not collectors
Guy,

Leica collecting is a whole other world. People will pay tens of thousands for an original MP. Non-working prototypes fetch four or five figures. Limited release lenses like the 35-70 Vario-Elmarit sell used for 3 times what they cost new. Hey, forget lenses and Leica... think about special edition watches, cars, motorcycles, handbags, shoes (!!!), stamps, coins, etc. Would you call a purchaser of a Chronoswiss Regulateur a Tourbillon Squelette nuts for spending $65,000? You can buy a watch for 10 bucks that tells the time, but the Chronoswiss is a work of art and made in limited numbers.

Leica is not desperate or opportunistic. This is the oldest product in manufacture right now, introduced in 1976. It has always held a certain mystique. Leica is just giving collectors and the lens itself a send-off worthy of a legend. I'm sure this set will increase in value as time goes on.

I'm told that the hand-made humidor alone costs roughly half of the price! Apparently these are some of the best humidors made in the world. It would seem that people even collect boxes. :)

Wait till Photokina and you will see products made to be used. But, give Leica and Leica collectors a break. To each their own passions and addictions. :)

David

mwalker

Subscriber Member
But Guy, you can store your cigars and your Noctilux in the same box...I'm waiting for the gold plated M8 to be the suprise at Photokinia then one can have a bling bling around their wing wing
:confused:

robsteve

Subscriber
Might be time to sell my Noctilux. For $16,000, I will throw in the M8 too and a humidor made to fit :)

Robert

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Guy,

Leica collecting is a whole other world. People will pay tens of thousands for an original MP. Non-working prototypes fetch four or five figures. Limited release lenses like the 35-70 Vario-Elmarit sell used for 3 times what they cost new. Hey, forget lenses and Leica... think about special edition watches, cars, motorcycles, handbags, shoes (!!!), stamps, coins, etc. Would you call a purchaser of a Chronoswiss Regulateur a Tourbillon Squelette nuts for spending $65,000? You can buy a watch for 10 bucks that tells the time, but the Chronoswiss is a work of art and made in limited numbers.

Leica is not desperate or opportunistic. This is the oldest product in manufacture right now, introduced in 1976. It has always held a certain mystique. Leica is just giving collectors and the lens itself a send-off worthy of a legend. I'm sure this set will increase in value as time goes on.

I'm told that the hand-made humidor alone costs roughly half of the price! Apparently these are some of the best humidors made in the world. It would seem that people even collect boxes. :)

Wait till Photokina and you will see products made to be used. But, give Leica and Leica collectors a break. To each their own passions and addictions. :)

David
I know, I know . i just cringe when i see the money spent on collecting. I like to use the stuff to much to stick it in a box with my Cubans cigars. Just me i am not a rat packer . It does not get used in a week it is sold. LOL

robsteve

Subscriber
BTW, did anybody tell David we met a kid on a skateboard in OLD San Juan who said he used to work for Dale ? He recognized the Leicas.

Robert

dfarkas

Workshop Member
BTW, did anybody tell David we met a kid on a skateboard in OLD San Juan who said he used to work for Dale ? He recognized the Leicas.

Robert
I assume that you met Jose. Good kid. He decided to move back to PR about six months ago.

Small world, I suppose.

David

robmac

For the love of God....

So, for the price of an M8, a Noct plus a couple of nice Asph lenses you get a Noct (that will still need to go to Solms for calibration) and a humidor. Nice margins if you can (and they will) sell them.

As for the humidor...I tried more types of humidors than I can count for my various 'gars (there are some benefits to being Canadian....;>)over the years . Conditioned them, etc., etc. They looked really nice, but the best cigar keeper by far? A large tupperware container with the humidification unit (really just $0.10 of florists foam in a grilled housing) from my last 'real' humidor (nice unit, birds-eye maple) that my wife now uses for some potpourri. Pop the top every couple of days to ensure they don't get (gasp) too moist and Bob's your Aunt.

Don't know whether to laugh or just light a cigar and quietly shake my head....Collectors, ya gotta love'm.

Last edited:

4season

In a small way, my horizons have been broadened today ;) I had no idea such things existed. This reminds me of the suede-lined cherry boxes Leica issued as dealer displays for the A La Carte program a few years ago: Those were really, really well made.

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
Can I get it with with a Komodo Dragon leather focusing ring?

I had hoped Leica was past this sort of nonsense but I see they are not.

Just make the last hundred and send them out as they would any other lens.

They don't need to be talking to Elie Bleu Tabletier about boxes but to production engineers about a cheaper introduction model.

jonoslack

Well then
If that means that Leica gets $1.6 million to go towards R&D for the next M, then that suits me down to the ground. Just as long as I don't have to pay $16000 for a second noctilux (with a nasty plastic lenshade)
:)

stephengilbert

Two questions: Do they figure that the fact that the lenses will never be mounted on a camera will cut down on the need to correct their focus problems, and does this lens (and its announcement) have anything to do with photography?