The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica X1 has new competition

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
I plan to get my order in as soon as one can. If the interest reflected on their web site by its crashing is any indication this will be a hot product. X1's will depreciate very fast with a real competitor offering the things Leica should have offered. It seems to me more like an updated CL (sans interchangeable lenses) than the X1 or any other camera. Sony better get some good lenses to market fast or the NEX will be forgotten by the serious user.
I want one too. This reminds me of Konica Hexar AF in the film days.

sven

This looks like a great little camera with some innovative features. I hope it performs as good as it looks. One spec (other than the viewfinder) that I found interesting is the "built-in 3 stop ND filter".
I was also looking at this feature. One my peeves with micro 4/3 is the limited dynamic range that it blows highlights very easily if not carefully exposed. Lot of things to look forward to, in this camera.

Svenjosh

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Besides everything else it just looks like fun to own. Obvoiusly not the most important element but looks alone are really nice.

CharlesK

Kudos to Fuji for listening and understanding photographers. I really hope it fills the niche...., or at least now sets the new standard, that we all benefit from.

RichA

This is not a Leica camera but surely the camera is aimed at "Leicaisque" photographers. This should give the X1 some serious competition.

This is the new camera released by Fuji. It is a 35mm f/2 fixed focal length cam with all the other Fuji goodies. Check out the link http://www.finepix-x100.com/

Svenjosh
The camera looks beautiful, but I think the final destination for that sensor is a DSLR body.

barjohn

Why would you need those micro lenses on a DSLR? Seems to me it is best suited to applications like a pro NEX.

peterb

The 'hybrid' OVF is something that I could not understand why Leica or anyone couldn't do before. I mean if little red diodes could be super imposed onto a reverse Galilean optic why not an LCD with frame lines (that could be REALLY accurate) and other data that could be determined by the user to keep things as uncluttered as possible. Sean Reid sorta balked at the idea when I'd mentioned it on another forum (a question on how the Leica M9 might be improved) but I'm delighted to see that Fuji has stepped up to the plate.

While I think going to all the trouble to make it look 'retro' is a bit unnecessary and would have preferred making it the best it could be regardless of previous approaches I love the simplicity of dials and the elimination of what I've always seen as unnecessary 'scene' modes that only add to complication. All in all keeping it simple.

The 12.whatever APS-C sensor is a little disappointing in that low noise sensors of up to 18 MP have been achieved and Fuji's track record hasn't always been that stellar. I also hope the optic (which I think is wonderful even though others have mentioned disappointment that the unit doesn't have interchangeable lenses) is up to snuff. There's a lot of good modern glass out there particularly from the likes of Leica, Zeiss and Nikon. Even Sigma has ground some decent optics too.

I hedged at the X1 when stories of it's sluggish AF surfaced along with disappointing construction in both dials and skin. I hope this is executed to a higher degree of finish and lives up to the hype in both the press release and the PDF I just downloaded.

Vive la underdog.

barjohn

I predict that X1 sales will drop very quickly and prices for used ones will fall even faster. There are just too many short comings in the X1, slow AF, battery doors, un-glues coverings, slow performance, poor LCD resolution, loose dials, thumb wheel focusing, can't select just RAW, and the list goes on. Add an OVF and a handgrip to the X1 and it is no longer very portable. If I owned an X! I would have it already listed for sale.

Terry

I predict that X1 sales will drop very quickly and prices for used ones will fall even faster. There are just too many short comings in the X1, slow AF, battery doors, un-glues coverings, slow performance, poor LCD resolution, loose dials, thumb wheel focusing, can't select just RAW, and the list goes on. Add an OVF and a handgrip to the X1 and it is no longer very portable. If I owned an X! I would have it already listed for sale.
Why not wait a day and see what Leica is going to announce....actually only half a day.....;)

barjohn

Will it make any difference to the X1? In other words, will it dramatically alter the existing X1? I seriously doubt it as the sensor in the X1 is a limiting factor on fast AF. If it is an X2 it will still negatively impact the X1. The same would be true for a new X of some kind.

Frank Petronio

Not Available
I bet it costs more than a (new) X1 and is more in the $2500 to $3000 range.

It's not competing against the X1 so much as the M9 itself.

It bested the X1 and M8 well before the specs were even announced. They're going after the more rational potential buyers of M9s, this is the ideal camera for a Canikon pro to get as their photo-journalistic travel camera. Fuji realized it could never catch up with DSLRs and this way they can capture all those Canon and Nikon users without causing them too much trauma -- they won't need to sell all their gear in order to get the Fuji in addition to what they already have.

My hunch is Canon and Nikon won't have anything to counter until next year, and they are apt to screw it up. I hope I'm wrong and they all introduce competitive cameras tomorrow, but if they do then they really got a lot better at keeping secrets.

If Fuji gets the user interface right it will be an instant classic, the best camera for 3-4 years, several cycles.

Last edited:

barjohn

The price someone has discerned from a Japanese web site is that it will be between $1400 and $1700 US in Japan. If that is true, it will probably be a little less here if other cameras are any indication. I just wonder if Fuji will be able to build them fast enough to meet the demand, especially should they surprise everyone and make them available before Christmas.

sven

The price someone has discerned from a Japanese web site is that it will be between $1400 and $1700 US in Japan. If that is true, it will probably be a little less here if other cameras are any indication. I just wonder if Fuji will be able to build them fast enough to meet the demand, especially should they surprise everyone and make them available before Christmas.
It will be only available in 2011 according to the PDF. Hope it is not a prototype but a fully developed camera, considering there is so much interest in this camera

cam

i am running, not walking, to the Fuji booth on Wednesday!!!

oh, major major lust! and to think, i was just eying picking up a second-hand Hexar AF....

Frank Petronio for the win! (wherein the named poster nails it dead to rights.)

I bet it costs more than a (new) X1 and is more in the $2500 to $3000 range.

It's not competing against the X1 so much as the M9 itself.

It bested the X1 and M8 well before the specs were even announced. They're going after the more rational potential buyers of M9s, this is the ideal camera for a Canikon pro to get as their photo-journalistic travel camera. Fuji realized it could never catch up with DSLRs and this way they can capture all those Canon and Nikon users without causing them too much trauma -- they won't need to sell all their gear in order to get the Fuji in addition to what they already have.

My hunch is Canon and Nikon won't have anything to counter until next year, and they are apt to screw it up. I hope I'm wrong and they all introduce competitive cameras tomorrow, but if they do then they really got a lot better at keeping secrets.

If Fuji gets the user interface right it will be an instant classic, the best camera for 3-4 years, several cycles.

lambert

The X100 looks like an amazing camera and seems to offer an array of bells and whistles but the one box it doesn't tick is [] compact camera.

The key reason I still plan to buy an X1 is that it still the best quality compact in town.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Superb specs! If these really hold in practice then it is definitely a new state of the art.

I discussed a similar idea about OVF/EVF combination in LUF several years ago, nothing happened except bashing. I think Leica and Leica fans are not really that progressive.