The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica X1 has new competition

Ben Rubinstein

Georgous camera with a truly awful name, for something so classic, why such an overly digital and forgettable name?

Let's hope they got the AF right, panasonic G1 right.

If they make it with a 50mm equivelant then this could be a camera to retire with (not that I'm even halfway there but might be getting out of photography as a profession).

jaapv

Subscriber Member
It's not competing against the X1 so much as the M9 itself.
:confused: How can a fixed-lens camera compete against a system camera? Or an APS-C against a full frame? Or a Fujinon lens against a Noctilux?

Having said that it seems to me that finally there is a camera on the market that will cause my wife to let the Digilux2 go. :)

Nettar

Hang on a minute there, jaapv. I've used Fujinon lenses on large format, and was very impressed. Hasselblad too reckons they are fine. Nettar

jaapv

Subscriber Member
Ok, I'll have a Fujinon 0.95 50 mm then...:rolleyes: Large format - yes, Fujinon is fine - so are many others. Looked at the S2 lenses lately?

V

Vivek

Fujinon lenses are good enough for me. I use a 50/1.2 on APS-C (NEX5). which is better than what ask of in a f/1.2 lens.

I like the dimensions on this camera. Finally something that is really hand holdable.

X1? What is that?!

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Ok, I'll have a Fujinon 0.95 50 mm then...:rolleyes: Large format - yes, Fujinon is fine - so are many others. Looked at the S2 lenses lately?
Well WRT S2 lenses - one could not care less how fine they are, as long as the S System is there it is today and the mid term future. And as long as Leica has no post processing SW out which comes close to either C1 Pro or Phocus.

BTW - I do love the Fujinon (Hasselblad) lenses. Leica need to invest a lot to come close to the H system.

I do really like the new Fuji camera as far as can be seen from the specs. And wish leica would have incorporated that idea of the VF in their M9. But there is hope for the M10 :))

jaapv

Subscriber Member
I did not say Fuji builds bad lenses, not at all - nor Canon, nor Nikon, but still - there is a reason people use Leica and Zeiss lenses instead..Somebody presented this camera as a competitor for an M9. Makes no sense imo. One of the reasons is lens quality for the 35 mm format. Where did MF slip into the discussion? Is this Finepix competition for a Hasselblad as well?:rolleyes::bugeyes: Anyway, the MTF curves on this Fujinon suggest a good centre and a considerable drop-off to the corners, not in the class of the X1 Elmar, let alone the M9 lenses.
I probably will be buying it though - whenever it appears on the shelves.

Last edited:
C

Coms37

Looks nice indeed, but it's still vaporware though.... before screaming out loud that you'll be buying better await the final production model first. The vaporware orange olympus springs to mind here.
And honestly, on paper I can even make my mother in law look totally up to spec!

clay stewart

Well, I like it, even though it's a fixed lens. I think Panasonic just lost a sale. I was waiting for the GH2 or GF2, but I think I'll just wait for this now. Every thing about it is about perfect, even the grip.

Why have Oly and Pany been asleep so long? This is what most people have wanted for years, the aperture and shutter dials made of metal and an egg timer delayed shutter release. All those flimsy plastic dials without a positive click, just pale in comparison. Fuji deserves my money, for this one. I just hope they nailed the AF speed.

Hacker

A Fujinon aspherical lens @ f/2? This would be interesting, and I'm expecting all round stellar performance.

Paratom

Maybe the X1 WILL have competition with the X100 but let´s maybe first wait and see when it will be really available and how it woks.

The question why Leica has not used a faster lens has been answered by Leica before: because it would have become to big in their opinion. So either the Fuji lens will be bigger or have some other compromises (optical?) or Fuji has managed to overcome the problems and are capable of building a lens smaller/faster at same size.

By the way: Leica promoted the X1 to have a fast AF... so lets see how the Fuji will work.
I have no doubts that they have some improvements and they better should because the camera comes on the marked one year later than the x1 which is quite some time in todays world.

Anyways - competition is good but I dont fin it fair to compare cameras, one which is existant based on the experienced downsides and the other one based on the marketed positive sides.

IMO we should compare either paper with paper (marketing brochures) or camera with camera.

Mark K

A gorgeous camera with fantastic feature. I have no doubt on the optical performance of Fujinon lenses, if any one recalls that Fuji makes many of the large format Zeiss lenses.
I really hope this camera has a sibling which can change lenses....and something that is not too remote.

stephengilbert

"there is a reason people use Leica and Zeiss lenses instead"

No doubt there are many reasons. But there is some disagreement as to what they are.

peterb

Their engraved logo in the back is reminiscent of Zeiss Ikon or Zeiss Jenna...nice touch.

But the video (courtesy of a link posted by ceh) had some curious legalese..."..customized to match the characteristics of the 23mm f2 lens, the APS-C sized CMOS sensor boasts a 12.3 million pixel resolution. This works in tandem with a newly developed EXR processor. The synergy of the two produces the best image quality in the HISTORY OF FINEPIX cameras..."

Uh...I'm sorry but that's not saying much.

Or else there would have been a dedicated FUJI group in this Forum by now. And while I read some posts about Fuji lenses being used they have been few and far between among all the other optics that posters have ooohed and ahhhhed over.

I'm still intrigued. But I'm very much wary of potential hype. Again Fuji's track record has not been one of wows. But that's not to say they couldn't.

V

Vivek

And while I read some posts about Fuji lenses being used they have been few and far between among all the other optics that posters have ooohed and ahhhhed over.
:ROTFL:

How many Noctilux 50/0.95 users are there and how many pictures taken with that lens have been ooohed and ahhhed over by non Noctilux or non Leica owners?

Ben Rubinstein

I think we will have to wait and see on the optics and IQ, sceptecism is healthy, especially with such an unknown but I think we will be pleased, it's a proven sensor at least and Fuji knows how to do colour and DR in the processing pipeline, very well indeed. They also know how to build a camera and we know that they know how to make lenses (the Hasselblad ones).

Whether it will all come together we will have to see.