The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica M9 Titanium

Amin

Why does everybody get so grumpy about these limited editions Leica do?
They're for collectors - and they make Leica lots of money (otherwise why do them?) - it's not going to slow down R&D on the products we do want (quite the contrary, it'll provide funds for them).

Buy them? Hell no - I've been around Crete for the last couple of weeks with my M9 bodies, and they're currently looking definitely used - these titanium cameras are going to sit in glass cases in collector's houses - good for them I say, especially if the funds generated means that maybe we will have REAL LCD framelines in a 'sensibly' priced M10.

. . . . . . but I still don't understand why people get so het up about silly prices for items they don't want or need to buy - I really don't.
Agree. Better yet, someone with lots of money can use the heck out of one of these and leave it looking plenty used. Some people spend more than this on a watch. Why not a camera?

Buying this versus the M9 is a lot like buying a D-LUX 5 instead of an LX4. If you have the cash and like what you see, who's to judge?

As for Leica, it isn't as though they're only making these limited editions. They're taking steps forward (they made the M9) and as a side issue, they're doing this stuff. I don't see the shame in this, and I highly doubt that making this sort of limited edition takes away much of their resources from developing for their primary customers.

Last edited:
B

bdickers

I would guess that the Titanium M9 has done more to drive people to the Leica website than any standard form of advertising could do. I haven't seen any photography-related website that that isn't discussing this camera.

Ben Rubinstein

Apparently this is now known as the M9 Tit. As in you would look like a right tit buying one (does that translate to US English?).

As for Leica making it rather than something for the 'masses'. They probably know very well that in this economy they will make more selling to the very rich than trying to pursuade the 4/5s of Americans who luckily still have jobs to shell out $6000 for the M9 and probably the same again in lenses.

jonoslack

Agree. Better yet, someone with lots of money can use the heck out of one of these and leave it looking plenty used. Some people spend more than this on a watch. Why not a camera?
HI Amin
I hope you're well - thanks for chipping in - I bet there are some around here who've paid more than this for a watch . . . and probably one that doesn't keep such good time as a cheap casio (assuming it doesn't have the same movement :ROTFL:). At least the M9 Tit actually takes as good shots as the M9.

As for Leica making it rather than something for the 'masses'.
Hi Ben
Who said they're making it 'rather than' anything?
Good luck to them!

Lloyd

Hi Ben
Who said they're making it 'rather than' anything?
Good luck to them!
Well, given Leica's relatively limited production capacity, it seems reasonable to assume that making the 35 lux for the Tit, is "rather than" making them to fill the backorders.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
After keeping quiet for some days WRT M9 Titanium I must finally say that I like what Leica has done:

1) This camera shows several innovations, (grip, finder, finder masks, form, ergonomics, etc) which I think are pretty cool and hope that could find entry into the normal M9 or M10 line in the future.

2) Such designs always pave the way for new ideas and it is really time to bring in new ideas in this 50 year old M concept.

3) If this helps Leica to generate revenue, then it might be bad for some standard customers, but finally great for Leica and their cash flow, which in turn will allow more innovations and research for future Leica camera generations.

Meanwhile I like this M9T concept and would buy an M9 if Leica would build it in the design and way of the M9T.

jonoslack

Well, given Leica's relatively limited production capacity, it seems reasonable to assume that making the 35 lux for the Tit, is "rather than" making them to fill the backorders.
HI Lloyd
Well, it's limited to 500 copies, so it isn't going to make much difference . . . and anyway, it doesn't sound like they would be going through the normal production line - so I'd have thought that the effect on deliveries would be pretty minimal (and none of us know where the bottlenecks are anyway). I can't see that it's going to have much of an effect on deliveries for normal people.

What confuses me is why so many people find the concept so offensive? They are, after all, there to do business, and if you can sell out 500 cameras at that price in a week or so . . . wouldn't you do it?

all the best

cam

Jono--

i take no offense that they did it, only wish that they made more (if the orders are there). the more money for Leica, the better for all of us in the long run.

the only thing that has me gutted is that there will be no traditional looking ti body -- which would, possibly, be my dream camera.... :(

jonoslack

Jono--

i take no offense that they did it, only wish that they made more (if the orders are there). the more money for Leica, the better for all of us in the long run.

the only thing that has me gutted is that there will be no traditional looking ti body -- which would, possibly, be my dream camera.... :(
HI Cam
I hope you're well, and that the weather there is better than it is here . . . brrrrr. We just went from 30C to 8C and it's not nice!

I know what you mean - but you'd have to be wealthier than me to use this kind of priced camera for a day to day knockabout!

Maybe next time!

cam

HI Cam
I hope you're well, and that the weather there is better than it is here . . . brrrrr. We just went from 30C to 8C and it's not nice!

I know what you mean - but you'd have to be wealthier than me to use this kind of priced camera for a day to day knockabout!

Maybe next time!
LOL!

i'm not and i can't... hell, i can't even afford the regular M9 full price! i was just hoping they'd release some updated camera so others would dump their "old" M9 :p

brrrrrrrr is right -- we had hail yesterday! hail in september? sacrilege!

sven

For those of you still interested in this camera, LuLa is not correct, it is not sold out. I spoke with 2 dealers and they were ready to preorder for me today. One of them talked with Leica and confirmed availabilty.

So if you have been eyeing this, go for it.

Btw before someone asks, I did not order one.

Svenjosh

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
For those of you still interested in this camera, LuLa is not correct, it is not sold out. I spoke with 2 dealers and they were ready to preorder for me today. One of them talked with Leica and confirmed availabilty.

So if you have been eyeing this, go for it.

Btw before someone asks, I did not order one.

Svenjosh
Well, you have the opportunity to be the first on this forum since I have seen no reports here so far.
-bob

cam

Well, you have the opportunity to be the first on this forum since I have seen no reports here so far.
i think we may have made it such that anybody who did get one would be a little embarrassed to admit it...

sinwen

If I were an R-System user I'd be pissed...
You are right, I am a R & M owner and was pissed off since the first M8 ! But I am not going to say more because when I said my mind, it didn't pleased many, I loved Leica and was angry !
I am not surprised by this "event", they just carry on, I won't turn back to Leica, the page is turned, pity to see this marketting policy, it's so ludicrous.

jonoslack

I am not surprised by this "event", they just carry on, I won't turn back to Leica, the page is turned, pity to see this marketting policy, it's so ludicrous.
. . . but if it makes a profit which can then be used to make a camera which will use your R lenses?
I really don't understand what's ludicrous about it . . . .if they sell, but I'm sure they will, certainly my dealer has no doubt that they can sell as many as they can get (not to me I'm afraid!).