The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

3rd part leica magnifiers any good??

kuau

Workshop Member
I was thinking about getting the 1.25x magnifier for my M9 and was wondering if any of the "3rd" party magnifiers are any good or do I need to get the leica one for 300.00 $$$ ouch...

Steven

Last edited:

LJL

Well, others will give their opinions and perspectives, but I bought one of the MegaPerls 1.35x units with adjustable diopter, installed it on my M8 when I first got it back in 2006, and have never looked back or removed it. Works perfectly and I think I probably paid about 30-40% of the Leica price. It does not have the fancy little leather case to lose or get in the way, but it has delivered everything I needed and more. (The dioptric adjustment makes it more usable without needing glasses, if you shoot that way.)

LJ

LJL

LJ,
Where can you order the MegaPerl's from?
Well, aside from Terry having one available, there was a place that I got mine from Hong Kong, I think (been a while), but here is a link to a place in Japan that has them in various magnifications:

http://www.unicircuits.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=109

LJ

P.S. I just checked my old orders notes, and I did purchase my device from Unicircuits, as linked above. I think I had to say I was using it for a Nikon telescope or something, as Leica was trying to prevent export of this device to the US, but obviously that has not been working ;-)

Last edited:

David K

Workshop Member
I have a megaperls 1.35 if you want to buy it.
That's the one I use on my M9 and I'm more than happy with it. The adjustable diopter can tend to rotate on it's own... no click stops... but it's easy to reset. Also allows you to share your camera with someone else without unscrewing the Leica diopter.

J

Jeff Day

I've had really good results with the Match Technical Services MAG, and like their Thumbs Up, it is made to a high standard.

Best,

Jeff

ampguy

I've had the Megaperls 1.25 for RD1, loved it, the diopter feature is great.

For M bodies, I have the HK Supplies 1.25x, it's OK, but large, same size as the Megaperls, but no diopter function.

So if you plan to leave one on all the time, factor in any case, etc. mods you might need, and if you use a diopter, the megaperls I think is the only one with it built in.

zombii

I have the Megapearls (now Japan Exposures) 1.35 and it works very well. The diopter is a big plus. You can order directly from them.
http://www.japanexposures.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=43&products_id=109

If you're in the US or Germany, they'll ask you if you're going to use it on a Leica camera since it's a patent violation. If you tell them no, they'll ship it to you. Price is about $200 USD.

I also tried a Match Technical 1.25 which I would not recommend.

kanzlr

I use a HK Supplies 1.25x and despite the low price it is VERY good. No distortions, sharp and comes with a real leather case.