The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Meet the Newest X!

cam

makes me regret not being not being around for Paris Photo in November!

seriously, this is so ridiculous it's kind of fun... pity i don't like the lens on the X1 because this could be an absolute hoot to shoot!

and Hermes orange, yum!

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I guess some cameras are fashion accessories in the manner of certain watches and automobiles. You can't blame a savvy marketeer for jumping at the opportunity to make some money, after all that is what most business is all about.
I just hope that Leica does not go the way of Montblanc, the company that used to make great pens and which now just pretty much works on the fashion accessory side of things. So far, I really doubt that will happen to Leica as they still do a very credible job on the fundamental engineering.

-bob

Last edited:

Terry

I agree Bob. The cameras work and the photographers who use them are generally very happy. I'm convinced that if that part of the mold is broken the market for the special editions will also go away.
I tought the interview I saw from Photokina to be interesting. They equated the special editions to concept cars that they actually put into production in small quantities. They specifically said that some of the technology in these models will make their way into the regular models in the near future.
I said it in the other M9 thread if this pays for the new R&D it is fanatic!

Terry

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I honestly don't care what jewelry camera's they make my one and only concern and always has been for Leica is make sure these special editions don't interfere with regular production of products that the regular shooter buys. We have to see faster turns on lenses for the S2 and improvements towards the M9 towards a M10 and such. I do agree on these special editions it is a chance to try new technology and than pass that down towards the normal products. Obviously Formula 1 is a good example of that process as a lot of technology does get passed down to the everyday cars we drive or want too buy. Does not hurt these things actually make some money.

I know when we see these things it does give a bad impression and I admit it bugged me at first because we are waiting on product. Leica does need to produce faster though and that maybe something they need to work on. If they did that maybe the up in arms thoughts would pass. I see two sides of this coin but if they get product out faster than the jewelry stuff most likely would not get under folks skin. If the collectors want to pay that kind of money for special editions what the hell make the money and keep the company going, why not. We all know the saying a fool with his money Yada yada yada as long as it is not ours. LOL

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
If Leica ever wants a test subject with "aging eyes" for some kind of focus-assist rangefinder I am their man!
-bob

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I honestly don't care what jewelry camera's they make my one and only concern and always has been for Leica is make sure these special editions don't interfere with regular production of products that the regular shooter buys. We have to see faster turns on lenses for the S2 and improvements towards the M9 towards a M10 and such. I do agree on these special editions it is a chance to try new technology and than pass that down towards the normal products. Obviously Formula 1 is a good example of that process as a lot of technology does get passed down to the everyday cars we drive or want too buy. Does not hurt these things actually make some money.

I know when we see these things it does give a bad impression and I admit it bugged me at first because we are waiting on product. Leica does need to produce faster though and that maybe something they need to work on. If they did that maybe the up in arms thoughts would pass. I see two sides of this coin but if they get product out faster than the jewelry stuff most likely would not get under folks skin. If the collectors want to pay that kind of money for special editions what the hell make the money and keep the company going, why not. We all know the saying a fool with his money Yada yada yada as long as it is not ours. LOL
Well if it makes money...
To a business, money is like oxygen, so it does not necessarily hurt.
-bob

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I could use some oxygen actually. LOL

I agree Bob it does not hurt for sure , it's cash and cash is king.

cam

Bob,

i will make sure not to wear my Montblanc watch when i meet you ;)

(i do have a Hemingway, though, that is always in my purse)

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Bob,

i will make sure not to wear my Montblanc watch when i meet you ;)

(i do have a Hemingway, though, that is always in my purse)
Cam,
Wear what you want.
I am a bit of a fountain pen nut, so I am a bit sensitive to the way that they have treated that line. Precious resin? I would forgive them that if they had not reduced the quality of feel in their nibs.
-bob

D&A

Now wouldn't it be a "true" a la carte if they let the buyer submit their own film strip of neagtives for this particular limited production X1 that they personally purchase? (yea I know the film strip pictured around the camera shown is smaller than 35mm).

I think Guy and others had it right. If Leica would catch up on their regular product line, then most would have a different perspective regarding these up scale luxury editions. I noticed just before Photokina, Leica delivered (at least here in the States) more M9's to dealers than almost the entire previous 6 to 9 months "combined". I wonder if that was to soften the blow to the reaction of the M9 titanium....so that others couldn't complain that Leica was spending it's time and money on the M9 Ti, rather than getting the regular production M9 out to their customers?

Dave (D&A)

Terry

Now wouldn't it be a "true" a la carte if they let the buyer submit their own film strip of neagtives for this particular limited production X1 that they personally purchase? (yea I know the film strip pictured around the camera shown is smaller than 35mm).

I think Guy and others had it right. If Leica would catch up on their regular product line, then most would have a different perspective regarding these up scale luxury editions. I noticed just before Photokina, Leica delivered (at least here in the States) more M9's to dealers than almost the entire previous 6-89 "combined". I wonder if that was to soften the blow to the reaction of the M9 titanium....so that others couldn't complain that Leica was spending it's time and money on the M9 Ti, rather than getting the regular production M9 out to their customers?

Dave (D&A)
While M9 supply has been constrained it seems that most people have been able to get them in their hands. If we think about what's come since last Photokina we've gotten new:
M9 and -
21 lux, 24 lux, 35 lux, 50 nocti and I think I'm missing another wide lens.

X1

S2 and on the fourth lens.

How many posts have we seen about Nikon being impossibly slow on getting new lenses out the door to replace a very old prime line up?
Ask the same for Sony
And so on...

I'm not trying to give Leica a free pass that they have no issues but people seem to forget the scope of what has been released.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Cam,
Wear what you want.
I am a bit of a fountain pen nut, so I am a bit sensitive to the way that they have treated that line. Precious resin? I would forgive them that if they had not reduced the quality of feel in their nibs.
-bob
Cam,
Actually that Hemmingway is a fine looking pen.
It is more stuff like the Bohème Papillon that I find over the limit

-bob

cam

While M9 supply has been constrained it seems that most people have been able to get them in their hands. If we think about what's come since last Photokina we've gotten new:
M9 and -

X1

two wides, i think: 18/3.8, 24/3.8

Cam,
Actually that Hemmingway is a fine looking pen.
It is more stuff like the Bohème Papillon that I find over the limit
my Hemingway, alas, is merely a ballpoint -- i learned my lesson about carrying a fountain pen around... it is a fine looking pen, indeed, bold and simple! more importantly, everyone that uses it comments on how good it feels in the hand.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
two wides, i think: 18/3.8, 24/3.8

my Hemingway, alas, is merely a ballpoint -- i learned my lesson about carrying a fountain pen around... it is a fine looking pen, indeed, bold and simple! more importantly, everyone that uses it comments on how good it feels in the hand.
Actually it reminds me a bit of a larger version of the 1929 Pelikan, actually closer to the 1935
-bob

M9 and -

X1

How many posts have we seen about Nikon being impossibly slow on getting new lenses out the door to replace a very old prime line up?
Ask the same for Sony
And so on...

I'm not trying to give Leica a free pass that they have no issues but people seem to forget the scope of what has been released.

Good point Terry. Leica has been really busy since the last Photokina. Oh and you can add their superwhammydine (Parodvit sp?) projector and Cine lens line as well to their accomplishments over the last two years. Pretty impressive.

Also, you made a good point by comparing Nikon. I read on one of the blogs that Nikon didn't have samples of some of their newly announced lenses at Photokina - not even pre-production or mockups.