The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Migrating M8 to M9

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
I think I've made up my mind to replace my original M8 with an M9. I'd like to use my CV 15, ZM 21/2.8, 35 Summicrons (III, IV), and 75AA with it - this is my main motivator, to get rid of the crop. These are all uncoded. What should I do in terms of coding and adapters to get the most out of them with an M9? Is there anyone (DAG?) who will code the ZM 21 mount? Or is this lens destined to never do well on it and I should bite the bullet and replace it with a Leica? 21 and 35 are by far my favorite focal lengths.

Terry

I have a 21 elmarit (for sale) if you need to make the switch. You can test it out with your 21 side by side.

jonoslack

Hi Jan
I'm sure you won't regret it
But the CV 15 isn't fab on the M9. I don't know about the Zeiss, it's certainly worth trying with the different coding options. My guess is that it might work best with the coding for the 28 elmarit.

mwalker

Subscriber Member
I think I've made up my mind to replace my original M8 with an M9. I'd like to use my CV 15, ZM 21/2.8, 35 Summicrons (III, IV), and 75AA with it - this is my main motivator, to get rid of the crop. These are all uncoded. What should I do in terms of coding and adapters to get the most out of them with an M9? Is there anyone (DAG?) who will code the ZM 21 mount? Or is this lens destined to never do well on it and I should bite the bullet and replace it with a Leica? 21 and 35 are by far my favorite focal lengths.
My 50 is at DAG right now being 6 bit coded $125

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Thanks Jono - I use the 15 mainly in lieu of a 21 on the M8, and think it will be more of a novel^h^h^h^h^hspecial tool on the M9... Sort of like the CV 12 (which I have as well) on the M8 today.

I did do the deed and ordered an M9 from Dale in FL. Doing a longer trip to Indochina in December-January, which gave me the final motivation for this. It's a scary lot of $$$$ though. :eek: Now I gotta sell off some unused gear (and a big pile of IR filters) and the M8 to pay for it. :) But FF and no IR problems, quiet operation... :cool:

jonoslack

Thanks Jono - I use the 15 mainly in lieu of a 21 on the M8, and think it will be more of a novel^h^h^h^h^hspecial tool on the M9... Sort of like the CV 12 (which I have as well) on the M8 today.

I did do the deed and ordered an M9 from Dale in FL. Doing a longer trip to Indochina in December-January, which gave me the final motivation for this. It's a scary lot of $$$$ though. :eek: Now I gotta sell off some unused gear (and a big pile of IR filters) and the M8 to pay for it. :) But FF and no IR problems, quiet operation... :cool:
Hi Jan
Honestly - despite the slightly anti atmosphere around here, if you like rangefinder the M9 delivers the goods!

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
One more question... I assume the M9 has the same internal geometry as an M8, and my 5cm Summitar can't be collapsed on it without hitting the shutter?

atanabe

Agree with Jono that the CV 15 is not a good performer on the M9.

Originally traded in my M8 for the M9 in lieu of selling a kidney but bought an M8 again as a backup. Something to consider as the price of an M8 is very discounted now and will be a good backup for your trip. Then you can have a wide on the M8 like the CV 15 and have a normal on the M9 and just switch cameras when needed.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
The Biogon 21/2.8 looks great with the M9 manually set to 11134. The rendering is much more pleasant than on the M8 where it looked really harsh, almost brutal - never mind vignetting and color shift. It looks a lot like it does with E200 Pro on the M6. I need to shoot more, but think the plan for now is to simply get the Biogon coded alongside the 35/2 (IV) and 75/2AA. The 75 also is right back where it should be - reminds me why I love this lens so much. It's absolutely fantastic. The 35 looks wonderful. So this seems like the trio I'll be sticking with and will send to DAG to get coded. I may not bother with more rarely used lenses, like the 135 T-E.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Guys, I haven't coded any of my own uncoded lenses. For $125 each, I can keep manually setting them up the few times I need to use one, or find some less expensive way to code the EXIF information on import!

Jan, welcome to the slippery slope. David at Dale is a great guy to work with. I bought my own M9 from him also.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Chuck, I'm sure you're aware of your part in this madness, due to letting me fondle your M9. Just reminding you of your corrupting influence. :LOL:

On a more serious note, I was trying out my assorted lenses on it last night and already forgot to change the coding manually several times. The 75 and 35's are probably fine without it, but the Biogon 21 definitely needs the correction; so I'll get that coded at least. Mainly so I don't forget. It really does look like a horse's behind without.

The CV 12 on the M9 is utterly insanely wide... And not half bad, at least in shifts and vignetting. Correction needed is about the same as the 35/2 IV, i.e. very little.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Got some time to dash out and about a bit with the Biogon 21... and also start up with LR3.

The first one looks a bit garish, but I hadn't found the LR3 saturation dial yet. :)

And I blame the poor framing of the second one on forgetting to put the 21 VF in the bag and winging it. :)

Last edited: