The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Leica M9 Neiman Marcus Edition

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Price 17,500.00*

* This gift will be fulfilled by Leica USA. Personal delivery and orientation are available only within the continental United States. Please note: Personalized gifts cannot be returned.

Well, that leaves me out. But I would sure love to have Ostrich Skin on my M9. You guys ever own an old pair of Ostrich Skin gloves? Best there are, in my opinion. Great feel, excellent grip with even wet or greasy hands, and all that hand grease builds up a great looking patina on the skin over time and with use like I give 'em.

I also hate this dang M strap they keep shipping. It's the same cheap *** plastic wonder they've shipped with everything since my first M6, and it still cuts the heck out of my neck unless I have a shirt on with a collar. I appreciate the grip it gives, but don't appreciate the neck irritation when it isn't on my shoulder, which it almost never is. I carry the M to shoot it, not to show it.

Does anyone make a decent leather strap? I used my old R foam rubber strap on my M8, but it is a bit too big really and not necessary on the lighter M body I don't think. Camera straps and camera bags... the bain of my existence. Neither of them ever seems to be "just right" and I already have a closet full of both :deadhorse:

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Yes, -sigh-, isn't she a beauty?
You just earned a +1 in my book as a man with good tastes. :thumbs:

I haven't visited Turkey shooting yet, but it is sure on my short list of must shoot cultural locations. I'd want to stay for at least a year though to just begin learning the language and the customs. It took me seven years living in Mexico
shooting my way through the learning cycle there. I can only imagine what Turkey must be like. Any hints or secret sauces you care to pass along would be most welcome to us all, I'm sure, as no doubt that is PRIME M9 shooting grounds :thumbup:

otumay

Chuck, thank you. It is indeed very difficult, if not impossible to be objective regarding one's country, and I'm no exception. A dear friend from California, who is also a mentor of mine in literature and photography, told me that Turkey was addictive for him. He visits regularly, has a house on the Mediterranean coast and had plans to retire to Turkey (that was before his grandson as born).
The language at first seems difficult, but expats living here get the hang of it in a couple of months. You're most welcome to contact me on any subject regarding Turkey.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Yes, -sigh-, isn't she a beauty?
Stunning! But the price is obscene.

I also hate this dang M strap they keep shipping. It's the same cheap *** plastic wonder they've shipped with everything since my first M6, and it still cuts the heck out of my neck unless I have a shirt on with a collar. I appreciate the grip it gives, but don't appreciate the neck irritation when it isn't on my shoulder, which it almost never is. I carry the M to shoot it, not to show it.

Does anyone make a decent leather strap? I used my old R foam rubber strap on my M8, but it is a bit too big really and not necessary on the lighter M body I don't think. Camera straps and camera bags... the bain of my existence. Neither of them ever seems to be "just right" and I already have a closet full of both :deadhorse:
I just got my M9 on Monday (from Monza/Precision Camera...thank you!). I put my Luigi strap right on it. I have used this strap since the M8 came out in 2006, and it still looks great. It gets softer and more supple with age. I usually don't have a collar on, and the Luigi strap is never uncomfortable. It also has leather protectors to protect the body at the lug connection..

Double Negative

Not Available
If I could a-la-carte an M9 to look like this for a reasonable price, heck, I might have gone for it. It's gorgeous. But for $17.5k? Pass!

...I put my Luigi strap right on it. I have used this strap since the M8 came out in 2006, and it still looks great. It gets softer and more supple with age. I usually don't have a collar on, and the Luigi strap is never uncomfortable. It also has leather protectors to protect the body at the lug connection..
I second this. I've been using Luigi cases and straps for almost three years now on the Ikon and M8 - moved my case/strap to the M9 when I got it. The leather is something else to begin with... But it gets better with age.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Chuck, thank you. It is indeed very difficult, if not impossible to be objective regarding one's country, and I'm no exception. A dear friend from California, who is also a mentor of mine in literature and photography, told me that Turkey was addictive for him. He visits regularly, has a house on the Mediterranean coast and had plans to retire to Turkey (that was before his grandson as born).
The language at first seems difficult, but expats living here get the hang of it in a couple of months. You're most welcome to contact me on any subject regarding Turkey.
Otumay, I was counting on your perspective! And who says you have to be objective about the place you live? Heck man, I get real passionate about parts of the US for sure, and several other places around the world myself. It's the passion for life that makes great photographers... so keep on being just the way you are...

As far as the language goes, difficult or not, unless I learn the language I can never understand the culture. And understanding the culture to me is what provides the basis for all of my work as a documentary cultural photographer. Without a cultural basis, I feel I am just shooting snapshots :sleep006: Understand the culture, things can start to get interesting ;)

Terry

I got a Luigi strap and half case when I bought an M8 from Woody. I've been hooked ever since. One strap that has turned out to be really useful is the "Essential Strap" it has no hardware at all and you essentially thread it (like sewing) into place. I use these on all my smaller cameras and get the shoulder pad for each. They all do get better with age.

charlesphoto

Yeah, cant' say enough good things about Upstrap, esp for shoulder carrying. Maybe not the prettiest things out there but neither is a $10K camera that's slipped off and hit the pavement! :) This strap feels really secure without all the shrugging one normally needs to do...

otumay

Chuck, just been to your website and checked some of your shots out. Mighty impressed.

You're right about the necessity of learning the language to get a better grip of the culture. For me, these two go together. For example, usage of words, especially adjectives tell volumes about the culture and traditions. You are already aware of these things. Hope you turn out to visit this country :)

V

Vivek

I just got my M9 on Monday (from Monza/Precision Camera...thank you!). I put my Luigi strap right on it. I have used this strap since the M8 came out in 2006, and it still looks great. It gets softer and more supple with age. I usually don't have a collar on, and the Luigi strap is never uncomfortable. It also has leather protectors to protect the body at the lug connection..

Hi Cindy, Would you try and show some near IR shots with your new M9 (comparison comments with the M8 also would be useful)?

I asked here earlier and I do not recall if I ever got any responses on that.

TIA!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Stunning! But the price is obscene.

I'm so happy for you and jealous at the same time. Just not in the cards for a M9 right now but I would love one.

Okay get out and shoot. LOL

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Ok, that's majority votes for UpStrap, so for $27 bucks I'll try it first. Cause it's black. And cause I've bought too many cases, straps, and do-dads by mail that didn't work, but cost a whole lot more than $27 bucks. The most expensive stuff I've found is usually the best, but you got a lot of cheap imitations, sold for just 10% less, to wade through first to find them.

After I win the CA Lottery I'll order one of those expensive Italian leather jobs, in Tan Ostrich, thank you. Hell, I win the lottery I'll probably order a new Ferrari to go with it :D

bradhusick

Ok, that's majority votes for UpStrap, so for $27 bucks I'll try it first. Cause it's black. And cause I've bought too many cases, straps, and do-dads by mail that didn't work, but cost a whole lot more than $27 bucks. The most expensive stuff I've found is usually the best, but you got a lot of cheap imitations, sold for just 10% less, to wade through first to find them.

After I win the CA Lottery I'll order one of those expensive Italian leather jobs, in Tan Ostrich, thank you. Hell, I win the lottery I'll probably order a new Ferrari to go with it :D
Chuck, buy the small, thin upstrap - there's no need for the larger SLR version on the Leica.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Chuck, just been to your website and checked some of your shots out. Mighty impressed.

You're right about the necessity of learning the language to get a better grip of the culture. For me, these two go together. For example, usage of words, especially adjectives tell volumes about the culture and traditions. You are already aware of these things. Hope you turn out to visit this country :)
Otumay, you are too kind. I did that web site myself modifying a template a bit over three years ago now, and decided at the time all that work was for nothing. The basic template doesn't support square or vertical format images without disabling the whole movement thing, and it was just too much work trying to change all that. So I started another design from scratch instead, got no time to finish it, so have had that thing up with a very quick test edit since. Frankly, it is becoming a bit of an embarrassment, so I am seriously considering just taking it down and trying to get something else up as soon as I can.

I'm not sure which is worse, but damaging my reputation by not having a good, extremely tight edit is probably the worst amateur mistake for a paid professional or anybody really serious about photography. Most people only get to "meet" you by what they see of your work on the internet. I get away with having that crap site up only because my market is very specialized, and I have a large stock collection of Mexico and the Mexican Culture nobody else has. For my market, seeing a lot of images quickly is important to tell if it is likely I am going to have what a buyer is looking for.

My problem is without any support for vertical or square, I cut my image database down to less than 20%, eliminating even showing some of my strongest work. My personal preference is using the square.