The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

75mm Summarit questions...

mjm6

I'm looking at a 75mm lens, and the summarit seems to be the logical one for my purposes...

I've seen the reviews on the lens (Guy's comparisons, etc., and others). However, I havn't seen any that use either film or the M9 as the basis of comparison, so I'm really interested in any corner performance comparisons with an M9 (preferred) or film.

Anyone know of one out there that I haven't found? Anyone have any first hand comparisons or impressions with full-frame cameras?

Thanks,

---Michael

Paratom

I use it on the M9 all the time with very good results even wide open.
Also it focuses very accurate.
The lens is sharp, medium contrast,very good handling, nice bokeh.
I sold my 75/1.4 after having used the Summarit nearly all the time-lighter and easier to focus.
Recently I have thought about the 75cron though - it has a shorter minimum distance.
I cant answer your question regarding the corners - but so far I have not had any complains.
The solid hood makes the lens a little larger but is a very good protection.

kuau

Workshop Member
I have the 75 summarit with my m9 and use it all the time love it
Check out some of my shots on the fun with leica thread most shot with the 75
Steven

akiralx

I have the 75 Summarit and 75 Summicron and like both on the M9 - the Summarit is more neutral in rendition but a very good lens, and has a superbly weighted focus ring. Strongly recommend it.

mjm6

Thanks for the feedback folks. I've been casually looking for one for a while, and haven't found one yet, but when one does crop up, I'll have to seriously consider it.

---Michael

Paratom

I have the 75 Summarit and 75 Summicron and like both on the M9 - the Summarit is more neutral in rendition but a very good lens, and has a superbly weighted focus ring. Strongly recommend it.
Could you comment a bit further on the Cron vs the Summarit?

akiralx

Could you comment a bit further on the Cron vs the Summarit?
The Summicron is quite a bit heavier, similar size to the Summarit if the latter has the metal hood (pretty large), but without it the Summarit is quite a bit smaller (you get metal slip-on caps for both - sadly I have lost the smaller one).

Focusing is easier on the Summarit owing to the smooth action but I find the Summicron easy enough too. For its size with hood the Summarit is pretty light.

The Summicron has perhaps more warmth and is well known for giving good skin tones in portraits (see below), so the Summarit is more neutral. Alongside the 35 Summilux-ASPH (I don't have the most recent version) among modern Leica lenses the Summicron seems to me to show some special quality which is pleasing ('glow'?).

If you use filters (e.g. UV/IR on the M8) they sit better on the Summarit inside the scew-on hood, while they are a bit obvious and unattractive on the Summicron when the built-in hood slides back. For that reason I tend to shoot the Summarit on the M8, and the Summicron on the M9 and film.

If you shoot 75mm only rarely I would get the Summarit.

Summicron:

Summarit (wideopen I think):