The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mira - CD shoot (M8 & D300)

vieri

Mira, a new Turkish pop group (their website is here)

The album cover image, shot with a D300, is:

Some booklet inner images, Leica M8 & 1.4/75 Lux:

C&C as always are very welcome. I posted this in both the Leica & Nikon forum, if that's too much mods please delete as you please :D

ecliffordsmith

Hi Vieri,

I think the album cover is very strong and the light and focus of the last detail shot is my second favourite here.

Are they a popular Turkish band?

HansAlbert

These photos function as a true depiction of the artists seen, as it were, through the character and feeling of their music. Nevertheless – without any knowledge of this group – the images are able to evoke some more timeless thoughts; after all, at least one main feature of pop music is timeless: the awareness of another attitude to life which appears through the glasses of everyday life as crazy.

The first photo easily associates with "Le nozze di Figaro" I,1, the moment when Susanna has explained the other side of their new room's convenience – the proximity to the womenizing count – and when Figaro is planning a revenge ("Se vuol ballare, signor contino"). The contrast to this scene is revealing: The couple in the photo do not appear as plannning purposeful actions; there are no implements, no writing things, no musical instruments etc., and the young woman instead of issuing a warning or feeling predominant is rather admiring the man and expresses by her pose a somehow hypnotical attraction to him. And the man is only apparently looking at the viewer (photographer); rather he is envisaging something far away, a remote sphere that at the same time is highly present in his heart. As a result a reflective mood is expressed, caused by undergoing the surprising experience of that mighty sphere over their lives. It may be love's power that the visionary look of this man expresses, and it is for the sake of his ability to captivate that sphere that the young woman is spellbound by him and conjointly with him. We see a visualization of a topos: the artist as the mediator or the medium that pulls across the overready mind, unsatisfied in a less intense experience of life, into a more intense sphere of feeling the base frame of life.
The other four photos exhibit two faces of the young woman – trance-like desire for love and mysterious aloofness – and two frames of mind of the man – defence against coldness and painful brooding – which all could be easily fit in a story of lost love by means of another association: Schubert's "Winterreise".

vieri

Hi Vieri,

I think the album cover is very strong and the light and focus of the last detail shot is my second favourite here.

Are they a popular Turkish band?
Thank you Clifford! Glad you enjoyed :D The guy is actually from Portecho, a very popular band here; the girl also is from a different band, quite popular, and this is their first CD so I guess is a little early to say how popular they will be in this configuration, so to speak, but apparently sales are very encouraging for the moment being, as are critics... I surely hope they will sell a boatload of CDs, and that will bring me even more business ;)

These photos function as a true depiction of the artists seen, as it were, through the character and feeling of their music. Nevertheless – without any knowledge of this group – the images are able to evoke some more timeless thoughts; after all, at least one main feature of pop music is timeless: the awareness of another attitude to life which appears through the glasses of everyday life as crazy.

The first photo easily associates with "Le nozze di Figaro" I,1, the moment when Susanna has explained the other side of their new room's convenience – the proximity to the womenizing count – and when Figaro is planning a revenge ("Se vuol ballare, signor contino"). The contrast to this scene is revealing: The couple in the photo do not appear as plannning purposeful actions; there are no implements, no writing things, no musical instruments etc., and the young woman instead of issuing a warning or feeling predominant is rather admiring the man and expresses by her pose a somehow hypnotical attraction to him. And the man is only apparently looking at the viewer (photographer); rather he is envisaging something far away, a remote sphere that at the same time is highly present in his heart. As a result a reflective mood is expressed, caused by undergoing the surprising experience of that mighty sphere over their lives. It may be love's power that the visionary look of this man expresses, and it is for the sake of his ability to captivate that sphere that the young woman is spellbound by him and conjointly with him. We see a visualization of a topos: the artist as the mediator or the medium that pulls across the overready mind, unsatisfied in a less intense experience of life, into a more intense sphere of feeling the base frame of life.
The other four photos exhibit two faces of the young woman – trance-like desire for love and mysterious aloofness – and two frames of mind of the man – defence against coldness and painful brooding – which all could be easily fit in a story of lost love by means of another association: Schubert's "Winterreise".
Hans, thank you very much for your - as usual - insightful critique. I definitely see your points & associations with classical music, probably my musical background pops out, unsolicited, in my photography too. 5, 10, 20, 36, 43, the room has been sized; Winterreise is one of my favorite lied cycles, and the band's idea for the shoot did go very well with mine and the colors i had in mind (cool for him, warm for her). Glad you enjoyed, and thanks again! :D

S

SAKIIMAGES

Vieri
Wonderful images. I love your style and composition. The warm/cold moods for each the female and male singers work very well and are very engaging and intimate.
You have actually have assisted me in making up my mind on the 75 Lux I have on hold.
Great work