The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M9 Battery and the Cold

Gary P

Early this spring I hiked up Mt. Katahdin in Maine, at the top the temperature was about 20 degrees F. The M batteries didn't last long (2 exposures) without requiring them to be heated up in my coat. It was a real pain, my friends Nikon battery worked flawless. I had two fully charged batteries with me and both suffered the same problem. Does anyone know of manufacturer that makes a better performing cold climate battery for the M9?

Thanks, attached are three from my coat heated batteries.

Early this spring I hiked up Mt. Katahdin in Maine, at the top the temperature was about 20 degrees F. The M batteries didn't last long (2 exposures) without requiring them to be heated up in my coat. It was a real pain, my friends Nikon battery worked flawless. I had two fully charged batteries with me and both suffered the same problem. Does anyone know of manufacturer that makes a better performing cold climate battery for the M9?

Thanks, attached are three from my coat heated batteries.
I´m surprised.... In northern Sweden, last winter, I was out for hours in far lower temperatures and had no battery problems at all; don´t even recall a single day when I had to get my spare out. The batteries were just left in the camera, which hung ´naked´ on my chest most of the time, and I shot 40 - 50 exposures on a typical outing.

I don´t use the LCD much, but I always have the camera set at ´discreet´ release; not the most power-conserving choice.

BeeWee

I had a similar issue during this fall where I was out in 0-15 degree C weather for over 24hrs on a camping trip in the mountains. Over the span of about 24hrs, I went through 3 full batteries (2 of which were Leica branded and the third was Pearstone branded), shooting roughly 450 frames which is what Leica quotes for a single battery on the M8 at normal room temperature.