The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I've ugly-fied my M9

Vlad

I am a little paranoid to wield my M9 around town late at night, so I've decided to turn it a bit uglier with gaffer tape.

This is just stage one, I may take it a bit further, not sure. I actually like the feel of the rough tape, it provides extra grip. :thumbs:

D&A

Vlad,

The M9 slowly but surely is becoming unrecogonizable but that Lens can be spotted a mile away as that band of tape around the hood does little. Thats why I'm suggesting for you to send me the lens for safe keeping and I'll even make sure it's exercised a bit by using it regulary :)

Serious, the rough tape actually looks good and probabaly provides some grip. What I don't know is how stelth it becomes by taping the camera and whether this will deter potential theifs. Guess it all depends what they are after. This is always one of those debatable issues, but no dount it can't hurt and it certainly can only help. Funny, I used to do the same thing to my Spotmatics when I lived in the "city" years ago and headed down to the bowey late in the day and early evening to shoot...a time when the "City" was at the height of crime at the time.

Dave (D&A)

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I would recognize that camera even if it was re-sprayed yellow LOL
-bob

Vlad

Vlad,

The M9 slowly but surely is becoming unrecogonizable but that Lens can be spotted a mile away as that band of tape around the hood does little. Thats why I'm suggesting for you to send me the lens for safe keeping and I'll even make sure it's exercised a bit by using it regulary :)

Serious, the rough tape actually looks good and probabaly provides some grip. What I don't know is how stelth it becomes by taping the camera and whether this will deter potential theifs. Guess it all depends what they are after. This is always one of those debatable issues, but no dount it can't hurt and it certainly can only help. Funny, I used to do the same thing to my Spotmatics when I lived in the "city" years ago and headed down to the bowey late in the day and early evening to shoot...a time when the "City" was at the height of crime at the time.

Dave (D&A)
The tape on the lens was just for sh*ts and giggles, to make it match the body. I realize it's hard to hide the massive front lens element out of sight, that's why my sunlight shooter is of the lux variety. Much less conspicuous. :toocool:

I don't know if it'll deter thieves, but it sure makes it look less shiny and new, more like a piece of crap held together by tape. We shall see.

jonoslack

I don't know if it'll deter thieves, but it sure makes it look less shiny and new, more like a piece of crap held together by tape. We shall see.
Seems to me that any thief who would recognise an M9 without gaffer tape would recognise one with it (that shape).

What I'm certain of is that ANY camera thief will know that a camera with gaffer tape on it MUST BE WORTH STEALING!

cap'n bill

To most people the M series aren't proper cameras, just some odd looking snapshot camera. Proper cameras are big and have have humps, huge lenses and wide straps with the makers name on and real photographers take pictures holding the camera at arms length to see the screen.

PeterA

Well I am for anything that makes the photographer comfortable with their camera if gaffer tape floats your boat - go for it! If you feel safer with gaffer tape well that's the important thing.

one thing I do know - is that if you walk around like a potential victim- you exude potential victim status ..and that attracts attention...o how you feel about your being on the street is much more important than many realise.

fotografz

Have fun removing the tape later.

The safety factor is all predicated on street muggers and thieves having a discerning eye. As Peter said, they have an instinct for easy marks ... especially victims that are paranoid ;)

When some dirt bag steps out of an alley way and whacks you with a baseball bat, or stuffs a pistol in your face, he won't be picky about what he steals off of you ... he'll steal everything. The down side is that the Pawn Shop will only give him a few bucks for your crappy looking $17,000. camera.

Hope I run across it in the Pawn Shop window for $100. :ROTFL:

retow

The opportunistic street thief, most likely, doesn't know about Leica. But grabs whatever there is, to learn about its "value" later. The ones who know are not hanging around at dark street corners.
I believe dandy dressing, expensive watches, trendy sunglasses, the iphone or latest Android glued to the ear, the ipad looking out of the messenger bag, a bold Nikon, Canon etc strap around the neck much more scream, "look at me" rather than the odd looking Leica M in the hand.
Last Sunday, I walked across Brooklyn bridge in NYC and also spent some time in very busy Chinatown. Only twice did somebody notice my M9, a teenager telling his parents "look, a Leica", and a young lady smiling and discreetly waving her beaten up film Leica at my digital M and wishing me fun.

jlm

Workshop Member
anyone actually had one ripped out of their hands?

i live and work in brooklyn and manhattan. no way would i gum up my cameras

there is way more $ value walking down any street in manhattan in bling adornment, even by Leica standards. don't see many taped up rolexes

charlesphoto

Vlad,

What't the rlease button you have on there? I'v been thinking about trying one lately and like the simple look of yours.

Charles

BTW, I tape up my logos but with the 3M artists tape. Actually, I think if you really wanted to make it ugly, grey duct tape with shredded edges would be the best. Throw a little bondo and grey primer on for good measure! :)

Vlad

anyone actually had one ripped out of their hands?

i live and work in brooklyn and manhattan. no way would i gum up my cameras

there is way more $ value walking down any street in manhattan in bling adornment, even by Leica standards. don't see many taped up rolexes
That's a good point. Gotta put everything into perspective.

Vlad,

What't the rlease button you have on there? I'v been thinking about trying one lately and like the simple look of yours.

Charles

BTW, I tape up my logos but with the 3M artists tape. Actually, I think if you really wanted to make it ugly, grey duct tape with shredded edges would be the best. Throw a little bondo and grey primer on for good measure! :)

The soft release is the concave Match Technical Boop that I got from Popflash. I have this one and a red convex soft release from RapidWinder. I like them both equally, though my thick fingers are more comfortable on the Boop.

or you could just spend a few months in Afganistan shooting for the press
I am too much of a pansy to do that. :lecture:

mjm6

Vlad,

You think it's ugly now, just wait until you try to take the gaffers tape off!

I prefer to be discreet with my cameras, and not look like an easy target, rather than uglify them up. But either way, I like to keep a camera for a long while, and whether taped up or not, it'll end up have a bunch of wear on it, which makes it less of a target I suppose.

---Michael

cam

i have to agree that it's much more of a mindset and the attitude in which you carry the camera, rather than what it looks like.

if you're paranoid enough to tape it up to uglyfy it, you're also probably walking around thinking it will be stolen -- a victim waiting to happen.

i've been in many less than the savoury situations with my M8 and Nocti and don't give it a thought... and, if i do, i think of what a marvellous weapon it would be! that chunk of glass could do some serious damage :p

People just don´t know what they´re seeing...

When I used a Nikon D200 with 17-55/2.8, people stared, or were startled by the sound. During the 8 months I´ve carried the M9 (un-uglified...) daily, only 4 or 5 people have recognised it as a Leica, and 2 of these were old pro photogs (their eyes sparkled...).

So, I don´t worry any more than I would just handling my i-Phone or wallet on the street. Prospective muggers take what they get; they´re not too selective.