The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I've ugly-fied my M9

Godfrey

I see you belong to the Leica Black Tape Society.

One other member of this august body whom I know also black tapes the LCD on his M8.2, all except a little rectangle so he can see the histogram when he presses the review button. Purity.

(He is a spectacular street photographer. Whether the tape helps or not I dunno, but he likes the affectation so what the heck. :)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Well Vlad I like it. On the bright side, if you can get the tape off later without problems you'll doubtless have kept the edges from getting scratched or worn. Ditto the lens hood.

I agree with the other comments about giving off the "victim vibe" - a lot of truth in that.

I'd love to see the same camera & lens in a couple of years time - that'll be the LBTS reference model by then.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Here's the rule of thumb I use. I ask myself if I am that worried about my camera being stolen, should I even be there in the first place?

Better than gaffer tape is a 9mm autoloader in your side pocket.

ramosa

i also have gaffer tape on my M8, but covering less of the surface (just the labels). i'm not sure if it deters anyone, but, perhaps, the less informed street thieves.

Double Negative

Not Available
With the weight of this combo and a good strap, I wouldn't let a thief close enough to steal it. I'd simply bludgeon them with it. ;)

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Carlos, it's Rice, Beans, and Doritos cooked into a Pie out here. We have a more "Mexican" influence in California :D

cam

i was wondering where my sudden craving for Doritos came from... could it be because i'm thinking about getting an M9?

nah, my starving student diet was always Top Ramen... i'm jealous you guys get crunch :p

V

Vivek

Vlad, What kind of pictures the ugly-fied outfit spit out?

Or, is it just a show piece?

proenca

you could just remove the logo you know.....

someone will have fun with alcohol these days....

/sarcastic mode off

now seriously, why the heck you do that ? good Lord.... theives steal because they are opportunistic. if you leave your M9 unatended in a coffee table a thief will grab it. either be a M9, M8, M7 or a Canon 10D that is worht 23048 times less than almost any Leica.

Leicas attract , by default , less attention : they do not have huge SLR lens, usually they dont have owners that carry two mules and a donkey carrying their lenses and tripods, their straps dont have a camera manufacturer in big lettering...

But ye, gaffa tape for the win...

meowzilla

Good job Vlad !

I have done the similar in the past but......the glue or residue is just nasty...

I remember there is some kind of solution to clean out the residue and glue easily, anyone clue ?

thrice

Good job Vlad !

I have done the similar in the past but......the glue or residue is just nasty...

I remember there is some kind of solution to clean out the residue and glue easily, anyone clue ?
Any of the citrus based 'goo remover' products on the market will zap the goo while leaving the paint/chrome unharmed.

Vlad,

Way too ugly. I mean seriously. I will help you. I am ugly.

So send my the ugly M9 kit and that FUGLY D3X. Save yourself by getting a 5d mk2 and just shoot some cool fusion like the hip people do. :D