The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I've ugly-fied my M9

L

LCL999

I did something similar with my M7. I masked the red dot and the big white writing with black electrical tape. The reason was not so much to hide it from muggers (very few in Sydney) but to make the camera less conspicuous to potential subjects.

The tape was not very successful. After about a year the got all slimy, no longer held the tape. End result was the tape fell off but the sticky glue was left behind. I will get around to cleaning it up with metho soon.

Chris C

....The tape was not very successful..... fell off but the sticky glue was left behind. I will get around to cleaning it up with metho soon.
Whilst understanding a need to personalise a camera's appearance [I once painted a camera --- shock horror], some gentle observations in this thread suggest that some tape adhesives bond more strongly over time [and especially with exposure to daylight]. I'd strongly recommend that you clean the adhesive gunk residue off sooner rather than later in case it is a type that sets excessively hard and damages the underlying finish [can you guess that I'm writing from experience?].

................. Chris

Double Negative

Not Available
People just don´t know what they´re seeing...
I've found this to be mostly the case. Those that know - will just know. But for the average person on the street, they'll just see a quaint old camera.

Throw a Luigi/Zhou case on there and you'd be surprised... I don't know how many times I got the "is that an old [film] camera?" question from random passers-by. One reason I opted for the "rally" (almost natural) leather color.

I've been in some sketchy parts of the world with my M gear, and I've never been hassled. Carrying a Canon 1D Mark IIn w/24-70mm f/2.8L zoom (complete with hood) was a totally different experience, however. I was eyed up and down everywhere I went. And if you've been to Ocho Rios, Jamaica... It got to the point where I just didn't want to carry it in the open, first off - and ended up taking less and less pictures.

BillN

as a matter of interest has anyone painted over the red dot with black paint - will ordinary enamel use to paint models be OK

(I understand that Leica will not give out or sell black "red dots")

blimey

too paranoid. you're in nyc and like any new yorker, just practice caution...

trust me, they, as in the unscrupulous are looking more on the big cameras with the red ring on the lens.

blimey

as a matter of interest has anyone painted over the red dot with black paint - will ordinary enamel use to paint models be OK

(I understand that Leica will not give out or sell black "red dots")
you can request a red dot from leica. they will send you one. use a flat black spray paint. spray from a distance and take your time. let it dry and then use a nailfile or sand paper to remove the paint on the word leica.

ive done this on my m8 then. i cannot find the painted black red dot to show you at the moment.

kevin

...if I am that worried about my camera being stolen, should I even be there in the first place?
And secondly, if you're worried about using your camera, isn't it entirely possible that a cheaper camera that you don't care much about might actually take better pictures?

dseelig

If I saw that camera I would steal the lens and not the body.LOL Normal people just do not understand leicas any one that does would not steal it. David PS I am an ex NY er born and raised there for 42 years.

MCTuomey

If you're feeling like a target, it might be more helpful when shooting to dress yourself down, not shave for a day or two, carry a ratty bag (diaper ones work well), sport hat hair, etc.

leicashot

Looks more like you're worried about scratching it the same way asians put plastic wrap around their furniture and remote controls ;)

jev

Vlad

I think you need to change your mindset, I live in NYC, have the same combo, just use rational approach on where you are and when to pull it out. I have see people at a gunpoint for their metro card, muggers don't care what you have, but they care what they can get from you. One thing I can suggest avoid using flashy camera bags that makes you look like a tourist, i.e. you become potential target. Overall NYC is one of the safest places I know, on the other hand I had some fun situations in Bolivia, Russia, East Asia but again if you use rationale you should be fine.

Have fun shooting

summiluc

Like so many already, I'll say that thieves aren't the smartest and don't recognize the cost of some things. My house was broken into two months ago and the thief went into my home office. He/she went to the desk that had a Leica R9/DMR with 100 macro, a Hassy 500 with CFV and 40mm lens, a set of Leica binoculars, and a Leica M8 with 50 'lux ASPH on it. These things were left them alone but the thief did take a 6 year old MacBook.