The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Greatest birthday present ever...

P

Photon

Hi guys (and the occasional girl),

pls. allow me to steal some of your precious time for a few words and a little introduction as to celebrate this special day...

while receiving the warm GetDPI-congrats for my birthday today, for which I humbly thank you, I'm also standing with my nose pushed against the window... as the postman is about to deliver something I never ever could have dreamed of: a brandnew blackpainted M9...:bugeyes: :salute:

I've lusted for a Hasselblad, Phase One, Rollei etc. for more than two years, but after much research and a lot of thinking I decided on the unique combination of also top-notch picture quality and ultimate convenience in handling that the Leica M9 provides. My aim with this magic machine is (conceptual) fine art, portraits, street scenery and the occasional landscape(s). Wildlife I will continue to shoot with my Nikon-set (from 18mm up to 600mm) which I have not been forced to sell (yet).:clap:

It will take some time before I will be able to post the first shots though, because I dont know which second hand lense(s) would be best to start with (as I like to shoot on various focal lengths). Possibilities are a CV 28/1.9 asph., a Zeiss Planar 50/2.0, a CV Nokton 50/1.1, a Summarit 75/2 or a (Tele) Elmarit 90. That money in this case will be an issue, will be obvious...

Well, time wil tell...

Thanks for reading!

Ton

HTML:
www.tonvanmourik.com

fotografz

Was it a self inflicted Birthday gift? Or are you married to a Neurosurgeon? ;)

Either way great choice! Hope you take to the rangefinder way of seeing things. :thumbs:

-Marc

D&A

Ton wrote: ---> "I'm also standing with my nose pushed against the window... as the postman is about to deliver something I never ever could have dreamed of"<<<

Well if you're like me Ton, and you shoot (look through the viewfinder) with your left eye, your nose is getting good practice being pushed against the window waiting for the post man....as your nose will be firmly pressed against the M9's LCD when you shoot!! :)

Happy Birthday Ton....what a great way to celebrate!

Dave (D&A)

P

Photon

Thanks for your remarks, guys. That 's what I love so much about GetDPI: people who really take delight in the joy of others. We should have more of that in this world...

Anyway, today I finally unboxed the M9. Holy macaroni, this is how cameras should be made! What a craftmanship, what a feel. What in the world took me so long? Can't wait to decide on my first decent lens, which very well could be a Zeiss Planar 50 f/2 ZM.

Warmest,

Ton

www.tonvanmourik.com

mathomas

Congrats on the camera! I'm envious. I have a Planar, with hood, box, etc. I can sell you (but it's silver). PM me if interested.

m_driscoll

Thanks for your remarks, guys. That 's what I love so much about GetDPI: people who really take delight in the joy of others. We should have more of that in this world...

Anyway, today I finally unboxed the M9. Holy macaroni, this is how cameras should be made! What a craftmanship, what a feel. What in the world took me so long? Can't wait to decide on my first decent lens, which very well could be a Zeiss Planar 50 f/2 ZM.

Warmest,
Ton

www.tonvanmourik.com
Ton: Congratulations on both your birthday and the M9. It does feel great when you first pick it up, doesn't it? Have fun. Cheers, Matt.

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

P

Photon

@ Mike: thanks for the offer but I 've run out of black paint...:ROTFL:

Godfrey

Happy Birthday!
Enjoy your new camera!

I've been through this equipment "expense-fantasy-desire" infatuation cycle many times. It's fun: savor it.

But when the magic of the absurd price and infatuation with the fantasy wear off, when it becomes just another camera to use, you'll still find it a superb piece of equipment. That's usually when I can finally get to work and enjoy the camera for what it is.

And make photographs, which is what brings me real joy. :)

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Ton, Congratulations and belated BD wishes. I just got my M9 last week and am sharing your excitement.
I have both the Zeiss Planar 50 f/2 and the CV 28 f/1.9. Both are nice on the M9. Which one you pick first, depends on your favored FOV and what you like to shoot. Summarit 75 f/2.5 is an excellent lens, but I personally would find 75 to be too long if it was my only lens.
BTW, I never worry about whether a lens is silver or black. They all are beautiful.

P

Photon

Bit the lens bullet today and bought the Zeiss Planar 50 f/2 (thanks for sharing your kit, Cindy) to begin with. Wavered a little between this lens and her beautiful sister (Sonnar 1.5) but the alleged focus shift problems of the latter scared me off.

Will share my first shot in the gallery tomorrow...

Warmest,

Ton

www.tonvanmourik.com

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Ton,
I think you made a good choice with the Planar.
I checked out your gallery and your work is outstanding. I'm looking forward to your first shots.