The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M9 Telephoto Options

iiiNelson

So I've read numerous threads regarding the telephoto options on an M9. I'm going to be buying one within a month or so (maybe as soon as net week.) My question is still a toss up between 75/85/90mm. I'm actually planning on buying mostly Zeiss glass for the M9 because generally I prefer the "pop" and more three dimensional look I see from the lenses. The only problem is that Zeiss has limited options and I looked through a used 75/1.4 Summilux today which is going close to the same price as a Zeiss 85/2.

I'm leaning toward a 21/35/75-90 kit but the long side is what gets me right now. I'm used to a 90 equivalent (from Micro 4/3 Macro lens) but a 75mm may work too. 85mm is a "happy medium" but I've yet to look through a 85/2 as it seems to be pretty rare to find...

bradhusick

I am very fond of the Leica 75 f/2 if that's not too far out of your budget. If you have plenty of light, the Leica 90 f/4 macro is a great and compact lens that collapses. I know you like Zeiss, but don't overlook these.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I too have been puzzling over the "long end" and have decided on the 75 Cron ASPH (which I'm awaiting - it's in the mail) because it will focus to 0.7 metres which is important to me. Most of the other longer lenses go to 0.9 metres or further.

Bill

iiiNelson

No the 75/2 shouldn't be "too far" out the budget. It's close enough to the same price as the 85/2, 90/2, and a used 75 'Lux that I'm not too concerned. My only concern was the "signature" of the photos. I'd ideally like my main lenses to have close to the same signature. If I went the Leica route I'd try to keep it all Leica though which I'm not opposed to. A two lens Leica kit will cost me more than a three or four lens Zeiss kit.

I really wanted to stay with the faster glass when at all possible but I did look at the 90/4 Macro as well. Seems plenty sharp but I expect to do as much indoor shooting as outdoor.

bradhusick

I had a 75 lux that I sold pretty quickly. Too hard to nail the focus, too large, too heavy. 75 cron is a much better combination of features and only gives up 1 stop.

ashwinrao1

Agree with Brad. 75 cron is more useable....

But at times, that 75 lux has a look that no other lens can match.. but for daily use on an m, it's somewhat bulky...Leica's biggest lens, once you factor its lenth and weight in....well, I guess the new Noct weighs more...:LOL:

ashwinrao1

FYI, the 90 elmarit f/2.8 and 90 macro elmar f/4 are sharp lenses with similar pop to the zeiss, but given your vision of your photography, I might suggest that you stay in family with Zeiss, which has a more uniform look than Leica when it comes to lens style/look...

D&A

Ashwin Wrote >>> "Agree with Brad. 75 cron is more useable....
But at times, that 75 lux has a look that no other lens can match.. but for daily use on an m, it's somewhat bulky"<<<

Ashwin nailed it....two very different lenses depending on what ones shooting opjective is and one rarely can be confused for the other, optically speaking. To me, the 75 cron f2 is sort of like the Lecia 50mm f1.4 asph...in that it's sharp from the get-go (wide open), relatively compact and easy to nail focus wide open..especially with the 75 cron.

Personally when I've used the 75mm Lux, I like to match it with a 35mm that also sort of has a well defined "signature" in other words how it draws.

Brad had an excellent suggestion regarding the 90mm f4 macro, with enough light...small, sharp and versitile.

So many interesting lenses...now its a matter of winning the lottery :)

Dave (D&A)

danlindberg

I too have had some thinking to do before signing the ordersheet. I went for the 75/2 Cron and in the end it was the close focusing ability that nailed it for me.
Now it is only the uncertainty of delivery that bothers me. I want it noooooooooow.....
I ordered mine 3 weeks ago and the shop has no deliverydate yet. they recieved their first 75 Cron two days ago and that was ordered a whole month before me. Hmmmm, hope for good news in a couple of weeks!

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
I've owned both the 75 'Lux and now the 75 'Cron. The close focusing distance is better with the 'Cron, a major factor for myself, the weight is half, focus is easier to nail, and the look of the lens past f2 is better to my eye with the 'Cron. I guess if you have the money to own the 75 'Lux just for it's one wide open look, I say go for it. In my bag though, the 'Cron will get a lot more work. If I'm going to be carrying around the weight, it better get used a lot, or it doesn't stay in my bag for very long. I've no extra capacity for dead weight. While I also love the look wide open from the 75 'Lux, I consider it a specialty lens, not a "go to for focal length" kind of a thing. Can't even shoot it wide open remember without a bag full of ND filters if the sun is out.... add some more weight you will rarely use.

If you are making any 'Lux your primary lens, you either need to shoot at night or sell your "vampire stake" and join the light with a 75 'Cron. Very consistent look from it across the aperture range, and a lot less money to tie up in a specialty item.

Hacker

I use both, including the ZM 85mm, and a few more. Try some of the older lenses, they are really good and you really cannot go wrong with lenses in this focal range.

Paratom

I have used the 75/1.4, 75/2.5, 90/2.8.
Sold the 75/1.4 since I found it harder to focus than the 75 Summarit and heavy. I also do have some problems to focus reliable the 90/2.8.
So 75 for me is a very flexible focal length and I prefer it over 90.
The 75 Summarit works very well so far. I thought about replacing it with the 75 to get the shorter minimum distance and maybe even more "warmth" than the Summarit?
I would recommend the 50cron without owning it (I expect it to have same character like my 50 Lux).

Leicadoc

I wouldn't hesitate to go longer to 135.
I use the Canon 135/3.5 on the M8 as well as my MP and have been delighted with the results. It is a nice length to have in the bag. The Canon or the Nikon LTM will run you less than. 200 US, even for a great copy. I use a magnifier to focus on my M8, mostly because my eyes require it for sharp focus. These lenses are just a little slower than the Elmarit 135, but are much less expensive. For the money, they are one of the best kept RF secrets, IMO...

Seascape

I recently moved my 90 AA Cron for a 75 Cron, and I am very happy with the results. While the 90 AA is a super sharp lens, the 75 is an equal performance wise, and somewhat more versatile.

Just did a 2 week trip with just a 35 Lux ASPH and the 75 Cron ASPH, these lenses complement each other extremely well as a travel kit. I found that 80-90% of the images were taken with the 35, so the 75 does not get used that often, and being smaller and lighter than the 90 AA or 75 Lux is definitely an advantage.

The fact that it is also excellent up close, is an added advantage :thumbup:

Double Negative

Not Available
Can't go wrong with any of the Zeiss ZMs, IMO. I love mine.

As for a telephoto - this is where Zeiss falls a little short (no pun intended). They offer two 85mm lenses, neither of which I'd really recommend. The 2/85 Sonnar is big, heavy and expensive and the 4/85 Tele-Tessar is a tad slow.

I'd suggest a Leica 2,8/90 Elmarit-M. A deal in the Leica world and a smashing lens.

Don Libby

Taking a break from reviewing and processing images from the latest trip and catching up here on all the news.

I've been using a 90mm since the day I got my M9 in February and am very pleased with it. I also decided in May to move up to the 135 f/3.4 and finally got that the very day we left for our trip to Jackson Hole.

I've been more than pleased with the image quality of the 135 both in terms of wildlife and landscape.

I don't have a 75 and am currently on the fence as to if I really need it as I have the 50 and 90.

I am very pleased that I got the 135.

Don

woodyspedden

Taking a break from reviewing and processing images from the latest trip and catching up here on all the news.

I've been using a 90mm since the day I got my M9 in February and am very pleased with it. I also decided in May to move up to the 135 f/3.4 and finally got that the very day we left for our trip to Jackson Hole.

I've been more than pleased with the image quality of the 135 both in terms of wildlife and landscape.

I don't have a 75 and am currently on the fence as to if I really need it as I have the 50 and 90.

Don
Don

If you have the 90 cron I definitely would spare the expense and not buy the 75 Cron. If you have the 90 elmarit you might find the sharpness and close focus attributes of the 75 Cron to be worthwhile for you

Woody

ptomsu

Workshop Member

Don
Don,

I own both - the 1.4/75 and the 2/75 APO. I do love them both for the obvious area they are best suited for.

BUT - if I had no 75, I would buy the 2/75 APO as this is a really killer lens. No matter if you have 90 or 50! I LOVE that lens.

Go for it!

Try to find a used one (this is what I did with most of my M lenses).

Cheers

Peter

PS: I also own the 3.4/135 APO, which I bough almost 8 years ago (used) for my M6 and I still used it with great success on my M8. So I understand that you are pleased with that lens.

Lloyd

I've shot both the 75 Cron and the 75 lux, and of the two, the Cron got much more work, although I did like the look of the lux wide open. Just too hard to focus and too dang heavy. As for 90s, I've owned 5 of them (still have 3), And I actually like my Elmarit and the CV APO Lanthar the best. Both are very sharp, and lightweight. Ironically, the only 75 I have at the moment is the CV 75/2.5 Heliar, which is a great lens and dirt cheap. I haven't tried the new CV 75/1.8, but I've seen some very impressive results from it. A very impressive "pop".