The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica 24 Elmarit vs 28 Cron

David K

Workshop Member
I've owned the 24 for a while now and consider it an outstanding lens. For no particularly good reason I've decided to buy the 28 Cron and see if I like it better. I'd guess few folks keep both these lenses in their kit and was wondering which you prefer and why. As I've mentioned in another thread, I haven't had much luck shooting wide open with the luxes (which was my initial motivation in getting into the M system). This is mostly my fault (can't see well enough to focus in low light) but also in part because the lenses back-focused and I've lost confidence in (or maybe patience with) Leica to adjust them properly. Appreciate any comments that might help in my never ending quest to fall in love with this system :)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
David the 24mm is a extremely sharp lens and has a lot of contrast but the 28 cron seems to have more look to it and is smoother toned. If i had to pick between them than the cron would be it. I like the focal length better on the M8 . But both lenses are best in class

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
David,
I find the 24 ideal for close-in street and I usually pack it for Europe or Asia, but the 28 is the lens cap on my wide body most of the time.
I also find the 24 is useful for hand held pano stitches which it does better then the 21, of course the 50 does better still, but I don't have the patience.
The 50 lux has earned its place on my long body.
-bob

D

Digital Dude

I had the 28 and now, the 24. They are soOoo very different in the way they draw, that owning both (aside from costs) is easily justified. I miss the 28-cron but not quite enough to give up my silver 24-Elmarit. The differences are truly dramatic!
Regards,

Last edited:

David K

Workshop Member
Great... Bob has both, that figures since he's got two bodies. Well, off to Dale Labs with wallet in hand. Thanks for the responses... just waiting for someone to tell me that I need a second body, then I can just shoot myself :)

D

Digital Dude

Great... Bob has both, that figures since he's got two bodies. Well, off to Dale Labs with wallet in hand. Thanks for the responses... just waiting for someone to tell me that I need a second body, then I can just shoot myself :)
Good luck and enjoy! BTW: I sent you a PM ~
Regards,:thumbup:

harmsr

Workshop Member
David,

I am still going through the same question. I sold my 21 as it never got much use. Currently, I have the 28 Cron ASPH, 35 Cron ASPH, 50 Lux ASPH, and 90 Elmarit.

On my M7, I use the 35, 50, 90 combo and don't like the 28. (Actually had Leica NJ change all the framelines to just 35/50/90)

On the M8, I use the 28, 50, 90 combo. However since I love shooting the 50 focal length, when I just take an M8 and one lens it is always the 35.

For what I now use the M8, I really don't want a larger kit than just 3 or 4 lenses. This is driving me to consider the 24 over the 28, which should be a nice jump in focal length for use on both the M8 and M7.

Now my problem is that they draw differently and both have situations in which I prefer them. I wear glasses and the 28 is easier to see on the M8 than the 24.

I still have a loaner 24 to compare to my 28, so I guess that I need to get out this weekend and shoot them in real situations some more to make a decision.

I'd love to hear what you decide and why.

Best,

Ray

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Hey I'm always in for a present. LOL

Seascape

I have never liked the 28mm focal length on my M6's, so I dont currently own one. However the 24mm always was the perfect complement to a 35mm lens for film work.

Now that I have a M8 the 24 ASPH is an even better fit, and a very usable focal length on the cropped sensor.

On either film or digital the 24 ASPH, is truly a Leica classic, the image quality never ceases to amaze me.

Last edited:

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I have both the 24 and the 28C but my favorite lens on the M8 is the 21ASPH. Not because of how it renders but because its the perfect FOV for street work. Its as wide as you can go and not have problems with distortion(the old 28mm equivalent). I shoot quite a lot of my street work form the waist level (hyperfocal on a predefined spot) ..for this you generally need the 21 to keep from cutting off heads,feet etc. I tried this with the 24 and it just wasn t as easy (although you should be able to adjust so its probably me). So I start with the 21 and then generally go to the 35 on the other body. The 24 works if I want to start with the 18 or the WATE . The 28 is a good choice for evening shooting. So its a 28/2 and a fast 50 at night. The 24 and the 28 are really different ...the 24 is razor sharp and contasty like the 50Asph ..the 28 also has excellent sharpness ,slightly less contrast and smooth bokeh. As always its depends on your intended useage.....for people in color the 28cron wins , for travel the 24 because images jump off the page and the 21 for street . Yes you need a 2nd M8! LOL Roger

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I've been through them all too, and here is my final take:

My three favorite focals on the M8 are the 21, 28 and 50. The 28 and 50 are my regular "body caps" for my two bodies -- and yes David, you really should TWO of them for serious street use as you can never swap lenses as fast as you need to. Sorry, but that's the way it is :)D). Depending on the situation or how I feel, I may replace the 28 with the 21 for a wider street perspective -- totally agree with Roger here!

While the 24 is an awesome optic, I feel it is somewhat clinical in it's rendering (a great thing if you like that) and as has been said, a different look than the 21 and 28; different juice. In the end, I usually found the 24 either too wide or not wide enough, and with the looks being more similar, preferred the 21/28 combo instead. Though I would not argue against anybody preferring the 24/35 (it and the 35 Cron Asph share similar renderings IMO)... Heck, if you can justify owning them all, more power to you, but I'd for sure opt for a second M8 body over two additional "tweener" optics.

My .02,

David K

Workshop Member
Well I picked up the 28 Cron from David at Dale and I think I'm in love... with the lens of course :) I guess which lens you prefer also has something to do with what you like to shoot. Stopped by the beach after my visit to Dale and elbowed my way into my friend Andre's shoot. Shot a bunch with the Hy6 and some lights and then decided to try out my new lens. I am very pleased to say that focus is dead on with this lens wide open, a major consideration for me... although I believe the attached shot was stopped down to f/5.6.

David K

Workshop Member
I know... I know... this is not what this lens is for and these images probably have no place on the Leica M forum, but it's nice to know you can use it for this in a pinch :) BTW, this one was shot wide open.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Its dangerous to hang out here! I ve used 2 M bodies since I first got into the system . I would agree with jack I would sell lenses to get a 2nd body. It changes the way you use the system and actually makes using all your lenses practical. I think about every shoot and try to pick 3 or 4 lenses that should work . Two on the bodies and one in each pocket of my vest . On a longer trip I take 6 or 7 lenses ...but only carry 4 at a time. The big change for me will come if they introduce new wide primes at fotokina...an 18/3.4 or a 24/2 would get my attention. how long can you hold you breath!:D

D

Digital Dude

Well Dave, these photos really make me miss my 28-cron to a point of extreme illness. The rendering and balance is remarkable. What on earth was I thinking when I sold it? Granted, it’s a bit unfair since this subject could just about make any lens look great, but still.
Regards,:rolleyes:

dseelig

Well in terms of 2 bodies there is an alternative get a mate. That has become my body cap in outdoor light. David

Terry

David,
When I first bought my M8 and was having lens angst both Guy and Jack gently (LOL :D) guided me to the 28 cron. It lives on one body.
At that point i only had one body but after spending on the 28 cron everthing but the Noctilux seems either cheap or reasonably priced. So, I fell off the M cliff and bought a second body. The 50 lux lives on this one.
I've been considering going back to one body but this thread is helping me change my mind and possibly pare back lenses instead...although I don't want to do that until after Photokina.

Glad the focusing worked out. Enjoy it! But buy a second body :eek:

Last edited:

David K

Workshop Member
Thanks for all the good advice and kind words but a second body is simply out of the question for me. The MF vampires have sunk their teeth into my wallet and won't let go. I've come late to the 28 cron party but this one's a keeper.

No offense David, but I believe this particular model could make any lens look good. However, the 28 Cron does a great job here and complements the model well.