The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica 24 Elmarit vs 28 Cron

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
David,
When I first bought my M8 and was having lens angst both Guy and Jack gently (LOL :D) guided me to the 28 cron. It lives on one body.
At that point i only had one body but after spending on the 28 cron everthing but the Noctilux seems either cheap or reasonably priced. So, I fell off the M cliff and bought a second body. The 50 lux lives on this one.
I've been considering going back to one body but this thread is helping me change my mind and possibly pare back lenses instead...although I don't want to do that until after Photokina.

Glad the focusing worked out. Enjoy it! But buy a second body :eek:
Nothing gentle about it , this is the best lens they make in my book.

David K

Workshop Member
No offense David, but I believe this particular model could make any lens look good. However, the 28 Cron does a great job here and complements the model well.
Mark,
No offense taken and you couldn't be more right about the model... first time shooting with her and she's a real pro. Kidding aside, this is obviously not what I plan on shooting with the M8/28 Cron... Nikon, Canon, MF or even the DMR are better for this kind of work but I think this combo more than held it's own.

David K

Workshop Member
David,
When I first bought my M8 and was having lens angst both Guy and Jack gently (LOL :D) guided me to the 28 cron. It lives on one body.
At that point i only had one body but after spending on the 28 cron everthing but the Noctilux seems either cheap or reasonably priced. So, I fell off the M cliff and bought a second body. The 50 lux lives on this one.
I've been considering going back to one body but this thread is helping me change my mind and possibly pare back lenses instead...although I don't want to do that until after Photokina.

Glad the focusing worked out. Enjoy it! But buy a second body :eek:
Terry,
Guy and Jack encouraged me to go for it too. A second body is a non starter for me. I doubt my wife can spot the difference between the 28 Cron and the Elmarit but there'd be no way to hide a second body, especially a chrome one with a brown Luigi case, (which is what I'd love to have) that you're carrying at the same time.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
David,
Well if you get different colored cameras to go with different outfits she would understand.
-bob

Terry

Terry,
Guy and Jack encouraged me to go for it too. A second body is a non starter for me. I doubt my wife can spot the difference between the 28 Cron and the Elmarit but there'd be no way to hide a second body, especially a chrome one with a brown Luigi case, (which is what I'd love to have) that you're carrying at the same time.
Hi David,
just goofing around with you! That being said, the chrome with the Luigi case (thank you Woody) is a very visually attractive combo.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
David: Just factor in the overhead for a spree at Prada and you should be fine.

:D,

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
You may be onto something here... how about a matching Luigi case and shoe ensemble :)

David,
Just send Luigi one of your local alligators.
I am sure that he can make a case and matching shoes for both of you.
Also, please stay away from Woody's yellow Hassy, yellow is so not your color:ROTFL:
-bob

David K

Workshop Member
Prada should be a four letter word... I guess if you only count the "a" once, it is. Now that I think about it, that works for Gucci too :) Read an interesting article in the NY Times that "normal" clothing is actually about 10% cheaper than it was in 1998 (adjusted for inflation) while "luxury" brands have gone thru the roof. A quote: "Thursday Styles ran a 10-year comparative price check for, the highest gain, 104 percent, was for the Speedy bag, followed by a $1,900 Lady Dior bag (73 percent higher) and a $325 Diane Von Furstenberg wrap dress (71 percent higher)." I wonder where Leica lenses would wind up.

woodyspedden

David,
Just send Luigi one of your local alligators.
I am sure that he can make a case and matching shoes for both of you.
Also, please stay away from Woody's yellow Hassy, yellow is so not your color:ROTFL:
-bob
Bob

How can you possibly knock something as subtle as canary yellow?

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
The true measure of a man s creativity is the extent he will go to justify his toys! I grew up with a pro ..my dad..he is 88 and yesterday he said he needed a new car that gets better mileage(and Mom drives the Avalon about 1000 miles a year) . I could come up with 10 bullet proof excuses in about 5 minutes. For example, I got this in a trade for some of the stuff I wasn t using ?

harmsr

Workshop Member
Well, I went shooting all day yesterday with the M8 and the 24 plus the 28.

Wearing glasses, I decided the 24 was just to difficult for me on the M8. Looking at the files again, I agree with the others. I just like how the 28 draws better.

It is not a focal length that I use on the M7, but it wins out.

My kit is now the M8 with 28/50/90 or for a single lens then the M8 & 35. The M7 is the 35/50/90. The confusion in my head is now gone.

For me the second body is not really an option either, as this is my light kit. The other restricting item is that I just sold all of my Nikon gear and am moving to MF for the second camera set. That is an even more slippery slope than Leica.

No matter how creative you get with justifying the new gear, you always do end up paying the spouse with something.;) Why is it that women are clothes / furniture nuts and guys are gear nuts?:rolleyes: Sometimes, I'm not sure which is the more expensive.

David - Glad you are happy with 28 Cron.

Best,

Ray

David K

Workshop Member
Bob

How can you possibly knock something as subtle as canary yellow?
Woody,
May not be subtle but it's got other things going for it. It would be a great choice to sling over your back while riding a bicycle at night so you don't get sideswiped by inattentive motorists. (Maybe not so good to shoot with during the yellow-jacket mating season.) Walk up to the valet with that camera in your hand and tell him you lost the ticket to your yellow Ferrari... who could doubt you. There are those who think the Beatles' song Yellow Submarine was inspired by a photographer who used that camera to shoot an album cover. Endless possibilities :)

David K

Workshop Member
Why is it that women are clothes / furniture nuts and guys are gear nuts?:rolleyes: Sometimes, I'm not sure which is the more expensive.
Take a walk down Madison Avenue in NYC and tell me how many camera stores you see there. No doubt in my mind which sex wins the spending war:)

David K

Workshop Member
Went looking for some shots that I took with the 24 and found this one. My wife, Marcie and my son, Zachary at a brokers' open house... Nothing to complain about with the IQ from this lens either.

woodyspedden

Woody, all you need is a matching color Corvette and you are set!
Hey Jack

When in Germany this summer with Porsche/Leica (and of course Guy!) Phyllis and I drove the canary yellow Cayman and absolutely loved it. Surprisingly I thought it was much more fun to drive than the Carrera 4! Go figure

Woody

D

Digital Dude

Clinical or not, when I’m shooting more than one person in a group, I prefer the 24-Elmarit. Dave's photo does well to illustrate my preference. Of course, I have no doubt that I will own another 28 for those warmer shots that I truly miss.
Regards,

Last edited: