The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica 24 Elmarit vs 28 Cron

cam

i got to try out the 28 Cron today and it really is an astonishing lens! beautifully sharp but not clinically so, and creamy beyond belief. truly gorgeous, gorgeous lens!

Terry

i got to try out the 28 Cron today and it really is an astonishing lens! beautifully sharp but not clinically so, and creamy beyond belief. truly gorgeous, gorgeous lens!
Cam, Cam, Cam oh what a long way you've come in a very short few weeks. :ROTFL::ROTFL:

LCT

Agree! Probably one of the very best Leica lenses ever.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Frank:

There is only one version of the 28 Cron, the current asph 28 Summicron.

D

Digital Dude

Where I live, the only way you try is to buy. I started with the 28-cron and I should have left well enough alone. I was simply hell bent on something sharper so I purchased a 24-Elmarit from Woody (thanks). It does well, what it’s designed to do, although it’s no substitute for the 28 by any means. So I purchased a 35-cron to fill the hole between the 24 and my 50-lux. Now I’m exhausted and I'm still not fully content. I should have listened to Guy from day one. ~
Regards,

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Where I live, the only way you try is to buy. I started with the 28-cron and I should have left well enough alone. I was simply hell bent on something sharper so I purchased a 24-Elmarit from Woody (thanks). It does well, what it’s designed to do, although it’s no substitute for the 28 by any means. So I purchased a 35-cron to fill the hole between the 24 and my 50-lux. Now I’m exhausted and I'm still not fully content. I should have listened to Guy from day one. ~
Regards,
I'm not wrong often when it comes to glass. Been there done that and have the gold t-shirt more times than I can count. But reality is you really have to try things and see if it fits you. The only true way to know if you like something or not. Nice thing is with Leica you can sell without losing much money and purchase something else. One system in the end you don't take much of a loss but just getting in is very expensive to begin with so wise to be right as you possible can. In my book there still the best images in 35mm that come from the M8 and DMR. Although Nikon is on there heels lately. But Leica needs to reinvent itself in this new market or folks like many here will be looking at Nikon as a cheaper way in with good quality and sometimes good is enough for many. Than some like myself have looked or purchased MF to bring it up another notch or two. What I have been seeing lately on this forum is a split from the M8 to Nikon on one side and MF on the other. Leica needs a M9 Full Frame at a price the same as the D3 or just slightly more to retain it's customer base. They have to figure a way to lower costs and pass that on to the customer or Nikon and maybe the new Canon 5DII will start digging into that customer base as they get better. Be interesting to see what comes out of Photokinia. This truly will be in my mind the defining moment for Leica and if they miss there mark than there will be hell to pay but if they introduce the correct products than they will do well. But now there is just to much competition to screw up. They need a winner out of the gate. i know we all cherish our M8's but it has not been the smoothest ride and you know the saying folks . Screw me once but you will not screw me twice. Not fond of the word there but you get my drift. They have to produce a winner right out of the gate, no real problems and no issues. Rock solid from day one. I like Leica products very much but they need to smell the coffee and listen to folks like us that are buying there stuff.

D

Digital Dude

Hi Daniel,

You have three very nice lenses there. What factors are you not completely content with?
There is no substitute for experience, and I certainly haven’t cornered that market so my views are somewhat tenuous. In hindsight, the 28’ was the perfect lens for my style of shooting. I simply got wrapped around the axel with “try this – try that”. As a sidebar, Guy’s comments are painfully clear although I haven’t found that you can get back anywhere near what you paid for a “new” Leica lens. Still, I will “endure to the end” or at least until September.
Regards,

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Found a Woody shot this was his car the second one was mine. Issue is i wish it was in my driveway instead. LOL

D

Digital Dude

Heah Guy!
If I'm not mistaken, that is now "my" 24-Elmarit that Woody is holding? Actually, the silver car is much more regal and matches your watch!
Regards,:D

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

The yellow one was a bit much for me . I like to hide a little more. LOL

I think he had the DMR there.