The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Noctilux 50mm f 1.0 as a single lens

Muizen

I would like to read opinions of forum members on the following:
I am thinking about going on my M9 with just the Noctilux 50mm f 1.0.
I do not have a Noctilux and thus no experience.

I am ware that it is a heavy lens, which partly blocks the finder and that it has a very shallow DOF wide open, but for me the attraction is that it is a very fast lens.
If I use e.g. 2 lenses the total carrying weight will be the same.
How much of a problem the finder blocking is I don’t know?
Focusing seems to take rather long? Remedy: estimating distance on M9 and then focusing.

I mainly shoot landscapes, historic buildings (interior, exterior), museums, portraits and family, holiday happenings.
As you know in historic buildings and museums, there is low light and flash and tripods are often not allowed, hence the need for fast glass.
Landscape:
- perhaps 50mm is not wide enough?
- Could too much light be a problem at maximum F16 and lowest iso?
Historic buildings, museums:
- Lens sometimes not wide enough?
- Getting close to interesting objects without zoom, not always possible? However given the high resolution of the M9 cropping is a solution?
- Minimum 1 meter focusing distance perhaps a problem?
Portraits:
- Is shallow DOF a problem when keeping sufficient distance if necessary followed in PP by cropping?
Family happenings
- Possible low light situations are no problem.
Thank you in advance for letting me have your experience!

01af

Didn't you get enough replies to the very same question already at dpreview?

Muizen

Dear 01af,
Why do pose this question? Is it forbidden to ask the same question on different forums?
One conclusion: your contribution to this thread does not serve much of a purpose.
That really is a pity,
Harry

esy0345

I use the F1 Noctilux almost all the time - it rarely leaves my M9 unless I need a wider FOV or a sharper image ( in which case I use the 50mm Lux ASPH.) It is softer, so not as good for landscapes as the 50mm Lux ASPH or 24mm 2.8 ASPH. Weight, viewfinder block, and size are never a problem for me. Cropping is an easy answer with 18 MP. FOV and sharpness would be the only limitations of the lens. With busy backgrounds, F1 can sometimes make for harsh bokeh, and decreasing the aperture size is required. At F16 too little light, not too much could be a problem. It is a fantastic lens.

B

boymerang

I can speak from personal experience here having used a Nocti f1.0, with a M8, as my only lens for almost a year now.

Size, weight and focus speed are not an issue for me. I've learned to estimate distance and set it on the lens whilst bringing it up to my eye to focus. It's my perfect lens for candid portraits, at close to medium distances, regardless of lighting conditions. The gentle rendering and shallow DOF is a plus here.

Sharpness when stopped down to f5.6 is good enough for me but I don't think the 50mm EFOV is wide enough for interiors, landscapes, building etc. You're not going to get a very good impression of the interior at f1.0 so a wider lens with deeper DOF is a plus here.

I think you would better off with the new 35mm Summilux-M ASPH or 24mm.

Hope this helps.

Hacker

I mainly shoot landscapes, historic buildings (interior, exterior), museums, portraits and family, holiday happenings.
As you know in historic buildings and museums, there is low light and flash and tripods are often not allowed, hence the need for fast glass.
You will be better off with the 24 f/1.4 and a 50mm lens (any 50mm will really do, though my preference is for the Summilux ASPH).

I do not find the Noctilux covering partially the VF any issue at all.

ramosa

i have pondered this idea, too. for me, it would entail selling off my current set of lenses to get a nocti. (or maybe i could sell three lenses and keep my elmarit 28mm.) (note: i have an m8, not m9, which is related to your mention of cropping.)

i love some of the images out of the nocti. i'd be torn between getting a 1.0 or a 0.95. the 0.95 seems to have benefits in regards to sharpness and focus, but it has detriments in regards to glow, weight and cost.

using just the nocti could have merit for street photography and portraiture, but i would not recommend this approach for landscape and architecture (which are your first two areas of photographic interest). landscape normally requires a wider lens (e.g., 18mm) or a longer one (e.g., 90mm). and a wider lens is generally better suited for architecture.

reading your post, i am left wondering how much experience you have with a RF and whether you have used any lenses with your M9. i don't mean that as an insult, but it's hard to get a read on your experience with a RF and how that may guide your current decision.

my approach has been to build a likable set of lenses (super-elmar 18, elmarit 28, lux 50, and rollei planar 80), but that--in no way--is an innately superior approach. for me, there would certainly be appeal to having, say, just the 28 and a nocti.

Last edited:

Paratom

I have wondered about the Nocti 0.95 quite sometimes but I am not really sure how much advantage it is over a 50lux asph.
Size wise I find the 50lux better suited to the M size wise.

Personally I would feel limited with only a 50mm lens.
If I had to use just one lens I would probably rather have a 35mm.

fotografz

While it is fun to narrow your shooting discipline to one lens, it's pretty impractical for covering the shooting list you mentioned here. Which is why an interchangable lens rangefinder is a nice thing. ;)

My choice to cover your list would be the 28/2 ASPH and 75/1.4.

The 28/2 is one of Leica's best lenses and great for interiors, landscapes and enviornmental portraits.

The 75/1.4 is legendary for it's rendering, especially portraits ... same feel as the Nocti 1.0.

I have the 21/1.4, 28/2, 35/1.4, 75/1.4, 90/2.8 ... and 50/0.95 Noctilux.

Of the 50s ... The 0.95 straddles them all ... the speed of a Nocti without focus shift, the sharpness/precision of the 50/1.4 ASPH when shot @ f/1.4 on up. Partly the look of a f/1.0 Nocti, and partly that of the 50/1.4 ... IMO the best of both. (see Sean Reid's review of the fast 50mms.)

If I ever HAD to limit shooting to one lens, it'd be the 35/1.4 ... but it's a limitation that makes no sense.

My two lens kit is the 28/2 and either the 75/1.4 or 90/2.8.

My most used lens is the 28/2 by a good margin. I have 2 M9s, one dedicated to use with the 50 Nocti and 75/1.4 ... using a ThumbsUp and 1.25X magnifier. The other M9 for all the other lenses with a 1.15X magnifier.

-Marc

ashwinrao1

As a former owner of the f/1 and current owner of the f/0.95, I think I'll weigh in here...the new Noct, in my eyes, is sharp enough and high performing enough to be a 1 lens solution. THe old Noct, a remarkable lens in its own right, is certainly sufficient if you wish that "Look" in your images at f/1. Both are heavy, and may be a bit challenging size wise as a 1 lens only option.

I agree with much of what's been said above, that your best bet may be the 50 lux asph or 35 lux asph as a 1 lens solution. Both are more reasonably sized, high performing, and wide enough in the aperture department to really shine as 1 lens options (plus they focus down to 0.7 m, which is helpful for portraiture....).

It's a matter of choice really, and a good choice to have...

Mitchell

If you want only one lens, the choice of focal length is very personal. I shot exclusively outside, mostly landscape, tending towards intimate and abstract. My most used lens is the 50/1.4. 50mm is the most like the view of our eyes, what is seen through the lens most closely matches what I see before putting the camera to my eye: "the normal lens." Wides and telles put a spin on the scene, Creating compression, or opening space, emphasizing foreground or background. All good if you want that.
For me the wider one gets, the more challenging composition becomes if only there is more stuff in view, and i think the heart of photography is simplification.

Best,

Mitchell

Muizen

With an exception, your response to my request for advice has been most helpful!
On basis of what you all said I have decided not to invest in the Noctilux, although this objective is appealing!
I better select 1) a 50mm and 2) either a 28mm or 35mm and 3) either a 75mm or 90mm.
Thank you all for your thoughts!

ptomsu

Workshop Member
If I would buy just 1 lens for my M9 I would go for the new 1.4/35ASPH - the best lens and the best angle of view.

If I would go for 2 lenses I would rather select the 2/28 ASPH and the 2/75APO.

If I would look for a fast 50 I would go for the 1.4/50ASPH

Having said all that - I also own the 1.0/50 Nocti and I love that lens! Issue is rather that today it became pretty expensive. SO if you could get a reasonably priced one in good condition I would go for it.

rchisholm

Ugh one Lens! That is rough! I agree that while you probably could do one lens, each lens has such a different signature that limiting lenses is difficult just for that reason. For example, I really enjoy shooting a 50. My day to day 50 work: I'm in love with the 50 planar. Does skin and bokeh great, plus is deadly sharp. When I want less dof, I have an old Jupiter 3 that is a sonar design and is simply lovely wide open with smooth, calming bokeh. But I only shoot it wide open!

So it goes with other focal lengths as well... The M9 sensor is so good that the character and drawing any given lens impacts how and when I want to shoot it. Rob

blimey

50mm f.l. maybe tough on interiors. sometimes you will find that they aren't any space to walk back to get an entire subject.

W

wilsonlaidlaw

For an everyday lens, I would consider the Nocti 1.0 is to slow to focus, too fat, too heavy and too compromised with aperture shift to use as such and yes, I have had one. I agree with the poster who said that a 35 ASPH Lux is better. I don't like the way that the 50 ASPH Lux renders but I accept that is a very personal opinion. I p-ex'd mine for a MATE and have not regretted it for one second (well maybe one). The more modern 0.95 Nocti might be able to have an argument made for it as a single lens, being less fat, faster focusing, less compromised but just as heavy.

Wilson

hdrmd

I agree with Wilson. As a single lens it is heavy, slow and cranky. I have had three, and I keep going back to the lens for it's use as a specialty lens. There is nothing like it at 1.0, but for every day, I use a 28mm. DR