The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

MacBook Air

J

Jeff Day

Has anyone tried downloading M9 files to the new MacBook Air? I'm curious how well it works for the M9's dng files, as it is based on similar tech to the iPad, which I bought and found to work well with the M9 at all.

Terry

The Mac Book Air is not running the same operating system as the iPad so your M9 files should be fine and you can use regular image processing software.

dannh

I've used both and they both work well. I normally use compressed files though. The 13" felt just like any other MacBook in terms of speed. The 11" wasn't quite as snappy, but certainly will do the job if you're on the road, and the portability of it is just outstanding.

ashwinrao1

I just got a fully loaded 11 inch air, and man, is it sweet. Only issue that I see is screen real estate, but it is certainly fast enough (compared to my 2007 MBP with core 2 duo and 2 gigs of RAM, the MBA is quite a bit faster)...and handles LR3/M9 files very well...

cam

i did M9 DNG (uncompressed) in C1 and then CS3 for play -- all on the old MBA.

it *almost* got my Air in a tizzy, but it survived... if the old one can do it, the new one will have no problem. i definitely recommend upping it to 4GB RAM, though.

J

Jeff Day

Thanks everyone for the feedback on the Air, very much appreciated.

Best,

Jeff

ashwinrao1

Hi! You can see the entire LR3 window, but it's scaled down to size. Images are thus smaller than I'd like, so if you don't mind the size of the 13 inch MBA, I'd go with that for more screen real estate.

However, for me, portability is paramount for the MBA, and I went with the 11 inch version. I can work all of my files to satisfaction using LR3 and Nik, and while it feels a bit cramped, I prefer the size to performance ratio of the 11 inch.

Hope that helps!

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
My wife got the 11" for work - she's a writer and carries a laptop everywhere. I haven't tried LR3 on it (need to check the license before installing) but it seems fast enough that I think it should be fine in a pinch. It runs MS Office and Photoshop CS4 without any trouble. It's obviously not an everyday tool like a 15" MBP, but seems perfect for light travel and backing up SD cards while on the road.

m_driscoll

I picked up a 13", 256gb, 4mb, MacBook Air, a few days ago. I have it with me now on a trip. LR3, Lightzone, and Nik's Complete Software Suite are loaded in. It works quite well enough for post-processing tasks and downloading images and converting to DNG.

I'll probably sell my 15" MacBook Pro and get a second 17" MacBook Pro. The Air is up to replacing the 15" in everything except screen size. Certainly in terms of it's form factor, it makes the 15" seem like a load of bricks. Highly recommended by me!

Cheers,

Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

ashwinrao1

Congrats, Matt. I was tempted by the 13 inch MBP, due to faster processor, more hard drive, etc, but went for the smaller size....I have been satisified with mine as well for basic tasks in LR3 as well as some external editing. CS5 and Nik load FAST!

m_driscoll

I picked up a 13", 256gb, 4mb, MacBook Air, a few days ago. I have it with me now on a trip. LR3, Lightzone, and Nik's Complete Software Suite are loaded in. It works quite well enough for post-processing tasks and downloading images and converting to DNG.

I'll probably sell my 15" MacBook Pro and get a second 17" MacBook Pro. The Air is up to replacing the 15" in everything except screen size. Certainly in terms of it's form factor, it makes the 15" seem like a load of bricks. Highly recommended by me!

Cheers,

Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com
oops! 4gb; not 4mb.

Ashwin: I'm definitely pleased with it.

Cheers, Matt

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Has anyone tried it with PS or with one of the stitching packages (autopano or PTGui). If it packs enough power for these I could be sold on it as a major weight saver.

How about C1 or Phocus? Actually I should ask in the MF forum, and will do so.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Runs C1 Pro 5.2.1 just fine.

Still trying to figure out the LR3 license... apparently I can install it on a laptop or "home computer" at my residence in addition to work. But I only have it on my MBP and don't use it for work - does that mean it hasn't been installed on a primary computer? Am I required to? Can I install it on the MBA as a laptop if I fudge the facts and call the MBP a primary computer? Or do I need to uninstall it first? Can the license even be transfered from one primary computer (which it really isn't installed on yet) to another? From one laptop to another? Do I need to obtain written approval from Adobe - is email sufficient or do I need certified mail? Fortunately, CA is a community property state, so my wife's MBA is mine as well or I wouldn't be able to use my (our) license. The license clearly doesn't permit multiple laptops...

jonoslack

I'm sold too (4gb 256 gb 2.13ghz).
I've been running two versions of windows (7 and XP) plus Aperture - this is something which used to grind down my 17" until I put an SSD and 8gb into it.
The MBA is quite useable, and running Aperture / PS / Nik without VMware it's great.
Definitely up with our year old 15", and of course, the resolution is the same (just need to get a bit closer).
lovely to travel with (I've done two trips now).

trisberg

Can I install it on the MBA as a laptop if I fudge the facts and call the MBP a primary computer?
That is my interpretation, and I don't think you have to "fudge" anything. The MBP is the primary and your MBA is the portable. I don't see anything that specifies what type of computer the primary should be. Just that the secondary should be either a portable computer or a "home" computer if the primary is a "work" computer.

The intent seems to be that the program is licensed for use on one computer at at time, so as long as your wife doesn't use the MBP copy while you are using the MBA one I think you adhere to the license.

-Thomas

weinschela

Subscriber Member
Jan:

Here is a quote I found, which confirms what Thomas has said. One user can run the program on any two machines. To maintain thread integrity, I am using a new Macbook Air 13 with 4G and 2.13 processor and it is up to almost any task you'd like. If you need to run Windoze, it runs it under Parallels 6 as well or better than a native Win machine (just make sure you have the 4G) It is very impressive.

How many computers are covered by a single license of Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3?

Subject to the terms of the software license agreement, the primary user of the computer on which Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 is installed may install a second copy of the software for his or her exclusive use on either a portable computer or a computer located at his or her home, provided that the software on the second computer is not used at the same time as the software on the primary computer. Lightroom is sold as multiplatform software, which means it can be installed on either Mac OS X or Windows.

jonoslack

I think the proof of the pudding here, is that I find myself using the MBA 13" when I have a perfectly good 17" MBP sitting on the same desk (or a 27" imac in the next room).

Terry

I was about 30 seconds away from hitting the buy button last Friday...It truly was an indulgence (something I'm good at) to keep downstairs and replace an aging black macbook. It didn't need to do much more than internet and email. In a rare bit of frugality I resusitated the old MacBook completely cleaning out the hard drive and deleted other old unwanted applications. Ohhh what a difference it made.

If the MBA had come with an embedded 3G chip with a pricing plan like the iPad I am sure I would already own one. Once you have the instant always connected iPad it is really hard to give that up. Without that the MBA is more "stay at home" than always with me.