The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M9 Lens Coding

iiiNelson

So my M9 came today (well actually yesterday but I just picked it up today) and I was wondering what everyone was manually selecting/ coding their non-Leica lenses as. I currently have a ZM 50/2, a CV 28/2, and a CV 50/1.5 that I already used on mirrorless cameras. Still awaiting my Leica 90/2 ASPH to come back and trying to decide on going ZM 21/2.8, ZM 25/2.8, ZM35/2, or Leica 35/2 for the third or fourth lens.

Either way what's the ideal 6-bit coding options? I've looked through a lot of threads and it's funny how you can never find what you're looking for when you need it... :banghead:

iiiNelson

I just meant the codes that everyone is using in the menu but I may have found a site for that maybe...

iiiNelson

I already do read it but I was trying to get a quick reference. No matter I have the Nokton and Ultron in the Buy/Sell forums now... I have two 50's and 28 doesn't really do it for me.

L

LCL999

Does anybody know the code for a Voigtlander 12mm Heliar? I'm guessing the same as the SUper-Elmar 18mm.

Double Negative

Not Available
I just use a Sharpie fine/regular tip marker and hand-code all my lenses. I picked up a steel template (similar to the De-coder from MT) from a guy that made them on LUF a while back.

I typically code for what's listed on the "Leica M Codes" site, or the closest Leica equivalent. I try to code each lens uniquely if I have multiples in that focal length (which is somewhat easy since they're all different apertures). Sometimes though, especially in the case of the M9 - some codes are better than others (meaning they differ from the list) - and I use those where possible.

The biggest impediment to coding for what you want are the framelines that a particular lens brings up. It restricts your options and sometimes they might not be the best...

Then of course, the markings rub off over time. Not a big deal, just hit the marks with a Sharpie again. This depends on how often you change lenses, of course - and if they have a groove in the coding area.

Considering the cost, time and hassle of proper coding, it's a good way to go. That having been said, there's nothing like a hard-coded lens that you never have to worry about again...

iiiNelson

Does anybody know the code for a Voigtlander 12mm Heliar? I'm guessing the same as the SUper-Elmar 18mm.
Super Elmar is relatively new and is coded. I assume you can use the 16mm setting from the WATE in the menu if you're using on M8 (maybe M9 too.)