The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

In honor of Guy and his new forum, some photos with his lens!

Stuart Richardson

A couple of years ago I bought a used 28-90mm f/2.8 R lens from Guy. It was in perfect shape. I think he had sold it in favor of the 35-70/2.8. In any case, it was my first zoom, and I was expecting ease of use, not prime-surpassing performance. I was wrong, it is a superb lens. Every bit as good as the prime lenses I have used. It is now my most used R lens. Anyway, here are some of my favorite shots with it...I thought my first images posted at this forum should be with Guy's lens!

Ok, that's enough!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Hey I want that back:ROTFL:

Stuart these are wonderful and you certainly put it to excellent use. Thanks and welcome here now go have some fun and enjoy. BTW load these in the gallery. i said this yesterday but i love waking up in the morning and seeing the random images every morning and new gallery images , makes this site look really nice. Jack and I designed the existing software and made many changes to it to show off folks work and it just looks awesome in my view

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Outstandig images Stuart, and what a great early post --- thanks for sharing!

Guy Mancuso

The beauty of it when you sell something is to see what folks can do with it and that is the cool part.

I also love the 28-90. It has all of the wonderful qualities of Leica glass, and in a very compact package. The only negative aspect of this lens is that it is a bit slow at the long end, and therefore tricky to use in low light.

Stuart Richardson

I agree. I generally focus at 70mm and then zoom to 90mm if necessary. Though it is slow, one of the nicest things about the lens is how good it is wide open. I would assume that almost every picture I posted was shot at f/2.8 or f/4 on the aperture ring (so wide open or one stop down from wide open). Maybe a few were at f/5.6 on the ring, but that is about as far to the right as I ever get...
So while it is slow and that can be a problem for focusing, the lens is fantastic wide open.

W

workingcamera

Yes really nice shoots Stuart… the fidelity and the colour just wonderful

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Hey ... I think that was originally my lens. I bought it and shipped it off to Guy after I purchased a 35-70/2.8. He subsequently did the same thing. It's certainly a fantastic performing lens and as one of the last new R lenses, demonstrates what Leica is capable of producing in the R line-up. Kind of makes you salivate to think about what might be released for the R line-up next year.

By the way, that's taking nothing away from a fine photographer, Stuart, and his shots.

Kurt

Stuart Richardson

Thanks for the compliments guys.

And thanks to Kurt and Guy! I can't believe that lens had two owners...it looked absolutely mint. You certainly took care of it well. It has held up extremely well though, so perhaps the Leica build quality helps...

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Stuart, I purchased it new and had it for about 2-3 weeks. Guy probably had it for the same amount of time or less. So, in effect, the paint probably wasn't even dry on the finish. :D

Guy Mancuso

:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Kurt is actually worse than me and i am really bad at buying and selling. Seems that is all i do anymore. but i love this stuff and trying them all out is a blast.

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Back in the FM days, I used to refer to you guys as the "day traders." Almost every day you had a different equipment sig. :)

David

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Maybe we secretly want to be Leica dealers ... next best thing to crack. The Leica addiction will probably empty your pockets quicker.

But, in Guy's (and my :D)defense, unless you are a Leica dealer or have one nearby, it's difficult to get a handle on all of the particulars, handling, resulting images without trying these lenses first. Everyone in the online world has an opinion (and isn't afraid to share it) but I trust my own eyes most.

Kurt

Guy Mancuso

I agree Kurt you just don't know sometimes until you try them. At least that is the excuse i tell my wife. :ROTFL: