The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

24 Lux opinions?

rchisholm

I'll admit it: the 24 lux is the one Leica lens that attracts me... 1.4 and creatively wide... I'd love to know opinions on this lens, especially compared with the zeiss 25 2.8. The bokeh of the lux looks smooooooth, and I really enjoy the 24mm look on full frame. All opinions/thoughts are appreciated! Rob

weinschela

Subscriber Member
I have it and love it. It replaced my Zeiss 25 and I have no regrets. Using it on M9. An excellent walk around lens if you like wider than 28. A matter of personal taste but I think 28 isn't wide enough so I go WATE, 24, 35, 50.

ashwinrao1

Yup, agreed. Had the Zeiss 25 f/2.8, and it was a lovely lens, comparable in signature, size, and IQ to the Elmarit 24 mm f/2.8. However, the 24 Summilux is a whole different beast. I am in love with the lens. It is a true wide, with the ability to creatively control depth of focus. Stopped down, it becomes very sharp, yet has a less clinical signature than the Zeiss 25 (there's something organic about the signature, and I hate to talk in vague terms, but it's thre)....

I wholeheartedly recommend the 24 lux, if the price is not too much for your wallet and given that you enjoy the wide perspective. It's as wide as I typically go with my M9, and I am very happy with it. I suspect that it will be a lifetime lens for me...

Here are a couple of random examples:

Best,
Ashwin

Last edited:

Paratom

I replaced my 24 Elmarit with this lens.
I really like it and also shoot it wide open quite often.
Not allways easy to nail focus though.
If this justifies the price? I am not sure.
You pay a lot of money for those 2 stops.
The Bokeh is nice but I would not call it totally smooth. Sometimes it can be a little "alive"

Double Negative

Not Available
I'd love a 24 Lux, as I really enjoy my 2,8/25 Biogon and wouldn't mind the extra speed. The price is just a bit steep... If I need the speed I fall back to the 1,2/35 Nokton. Both lenses are still 1/3 the price of the Lux!

The Lux seems to have that same ASPH look of the latest 35 (v2).