Thread: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

Quote Originally Posted by ceh View Post
    Marc,
    Thank you,
    however,
    number of star pattern rays of the CFE IF is perfect for me..
    I respect your opinion and preference. However, personally I would be hard pressed to choose any wide lens over the Leica S 35mm because is such an exceptional lens on pretty much all accounts (except maybe personal preference of star pattern).

David Farkas at Dale Photo and Digital sells the Hassey to S2 adapters. He also has Pnetax 67 to S2 adapters. He let me try both a couple weeks ago when I was down at his store. These adapters open up a lot of options for alternative lenses on the S2. Of course you have to manual focus and do stop-down metering, but they work quite well. In fact the S2 viewfinder is so good that I was able to manually focus with the lens stopped down in many cases. That was convenient for the wildlife photos in particular because it saved time.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Marc,
    Thank you,
    however,
    number of star pattern rays of the CFE IF is perfect for me..
    Unfortunately, along with that "star ray count" comes the pentaprism specular highlights ... that is the one thing I always hated about the Zeiss V lenses ... the "Chrysler Logo" highlights. and OOF specular highlights

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Mark,
    Thank you for your responce..
    I will be thinking of it...

Post Thanks / Like

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

another great Mountain Image!

Lets say someone had a new S2 and was looking for CF cards - which card is recommended/known to work good with the S2?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    another great Mountain Image!

Lets say someone had a new S2 and was looking for CF cards - which card is recommended/known to work good with the S2?
    Reeeallly BIG ones!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

...Lets say someone had a new S2 and was looking for CF cards - which card is recommended/known to work good with the S2?
    Does this mean you have an S2 on the way or in your near future?

Now with compressed DNG files in the latest firmware, you don't have to have huge cards. I am getting by with Sandisk Extreme III 8 gb cards. An 8 gb card will now hold 200+ images. I assume a faster CF card would improve burst capture rate and subsequent download to computer. However, the Extreme III have been adequate for my needs. I also have some Transcend Class 10 SDHC secure digital cards in 8 gb and 16 gb, but I haven't shot them without the CF card so I can't say how the do on their own.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gowin View Post
    Does this mean you have an S2 on the way or in your near future?
    No - I picked it up yesterday evening

Thank you with the info regarding the CF card! I first thought I might need faster and bigger cards, but looks like this is not the case due to the reduced size via latest firmware

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Congratulations and the very best of luck with it. Hope you will share some images and opinions when you can...

I am back from my travels and will post again soon. Meanwhile I continue to enjoy CEH's high altitude vistas as well as Kurt and Mark's shots. We need to get some new S2 posters here !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    We need to get some new S2 posters here !!!
    I'd love to post but it will still be several weeks before the S2 that I ordered will be there. I told the dealer that I want at least the 70 and the 35 and preferably also the 120 or 180. I did not want to to have the camera with one lens only and then wait, and wait, and wait.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you with the info regarding the CF card! I first thought I might need faster and bigger cards, but looks like this is not the case due to the reduced size via latest firmware
    Congratulations on getting the S2. I know will enjoy it. You have done your homework and know what you're getting. I look forward to you posting some photos.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GMB View Post
    I'd love to post but it will still be several weeks before the S2 that I ordered will be there. I told the dealer that I want at least the 70 and the 35 and preferably also the 120 or 180. I did not want to to have the camera with one lens only and then wait, and wait, and wait.
    I can say from first-hand experience that the 70mm is flexible enough to use as an only lens for a while. However, I can see value in waiting until your dealer can deliver the whole package. Maybe it will help to prioritize your order for the difficult to get lenses.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you guys for the warm welcome. Also thank you for a lot of information I got here and for the inspiring images. I hope to get the time and light and inspiration to shoot something wich is worth posrting here soon.

I have tried to resist long time but finally stomach beats brain.

Tom

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you guys for the warm welcome. Also thank you for a lot of information I got here and for the inspiring images. I hope to get the time and light and inspiration to shoot something wich is worth posrting here soon.

I have tried to resist long time but finally stomach beats brain.

Tom

Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe it will help to prioritize your order for the difficult to get lenses.
    That was exactly my thinking. Let's see whether it works out.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

family snapshot playing around in the garden (my daughter with mud and me with the S2):

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

family snapshot playing around in the garden (my daughter with mud and me with the S2):
    Damned, that has a nice feel to it. 70mm, right?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Most definitely and a very cute pic of your daughter. Is that mudpie heading straight for the front element of the 70mm?

Best of luck on your new purchase and looking forward to hearing of your initial experiences with the S2.

Dave (D&A)

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lovely picture of your daughter. I find myself thinking that the S2 images just have something special to them... hard to express but it just takes great photos. I find the same is true of the M9 and the DMR. I'm afraid I'm in jeopardy of becoming a Leica "fanboy"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great start with your own S2 Tom. You did a great job of capturing the moment. Some would say using an S2 for family snapshots is overkill, but I'm not one of them. The photo has a really pleasing look and feel to it. Plus, family snapshots are a great way to learn how to use the S2 for fast action.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mark,
    of course its overkill for family snapshots but its also overkill for me
    Thank you all for the nice comments.
    The 70 is the only lens I have so far and for now I really like it. Very nice OOF rendering IMO - and I am happy that my S2+ my 70 seem to focus pretty reliable from first impression.
    One thing I feel is that the images from the S2 look a little bit colder than what I was used from the Sinar back/Dalsa Sensor. Something which can not be changed by just changing the WB values.
    Also still experimenting with LR vs C1.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Yes Mark 70 - the only lens I have in my hands so far and I guess it will be my most used lens.

Post Thanks / Like

Tom,

congratulations! Wonderful shot of a very beautiful daughter with a terrific camera!
    I have to agree with Marc, Mark, Dave and David, there's something special to the IQ from this camera.
    When I look at the portrait of your daughter I think its partly the effect of the complementary colors, partly the effect of the shallow DOF with the little hand and the background OOF. (You and the AF on the S2 did a great job focussing on the eyes)

One more thing I'd like to mention as a possible cause for the high IQ of this image is what I would call (in lack of other words to describe what I see) the 'straightforwardness' of the glass which makes it all look so 'realistic' and 'honest'. Quite unlike what I get from my A900 with the Carl Zeiss lenses which can often be a nice combo, but at the same time can give me this 'psychedelic'-3D-curvature of field effects that I think look artificial.

Well, Peter Karbe is my hero...

Anyway, all the best with your new camera.

Peter

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peterv View Post
    Tom,

congratulations! Wonderful shot of a very beautiful daughter with a terrific camera!
    I have to agree with Marc, Mark, Dave and David, there's something special to the IQ from this camera.
    When I look at the portrait of your daughter I think its partly the effect of the complementary colors, partly the effect of the shallow DOF with the little hand and the background OOF. (You and the AF on the S2 did a great job focussing on the eyes)

One more thing I'd like to mention as a possible cause for the high IQ of this image is what I would call (in lack of other words to describe what I see) the 'straightforwardness' of the glass which makes it all look so 'realistic' and 'honest'. Quite unlike what I get from my A900 with the Carl Zeiss lenses which can often be a nice combo, but at the same time can give me this 'psychedelic'-3D-curvature of field effects that I think look artificial.

Well, Peter Karbe is my hero...

Anyway, all the best with your new camera.

Peter
    Thanks Peter and I agree about the lens(es) - one of the reasons why I feel confident regarding the S2 system.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mark,
    of course its overkill for family snapshots but its also overkill for me
    Thank you all for the nice comments.
    The 70 is the only lens I have so far and for now I really like it. Very nice OOF rendering IMO - and I am happy that my S2+ my 70 seem to focus pretty reliable from first impression.
    One thing I feel is that the images from the S2 look a little bit colder than what I was used from the Sinar back/Dalsa Sensor. Something which can not be changed by just changing the WB values.
    Also still experimenting with LR vs C1.
    You know Tom, I've been going through 80+ years of negatives, prints and slides taken by my grandfather, my father, and myself, and I've come to the conclusion that the most important images any sane person ever makes are of their friends and family. I spent several years traveling as a young man, and took literally thousands of images of landscapes, seascapes, buildings, and historic places, etc. Some art, more postcards, most snapshots. I've kept very few of those. But pictures of friends, and especially of family are very dear to me still. Same goes for those taken by my father and grandfather. I can think of no better use for your S2, and you've started it off right.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    You know Tom, I've been going through 80+ years of negatives, prints and slides taken by my grandfather, my father, and myself, and I've come to the conclusion that the most important images any sane person ever makes are of their friends and family. I spent several years traveling as a young man, and took literally thousands of images of landscapes, seascapes, buildings, and historic places, etc. Some art, more postcards, most snapshots. I've kept very few of those. But pictures of friends, and especially of family are very dear to me still. Same goes for those taken by my father and grandfather. I can think of no better use for your S2, and you've started it off right.
    Extremely well put Lloyd, and I couldn't agree more. It's those kind of pictures you described that I keep coming back to and that hold the most interest to me after all these years of image captures. As an aside, I often have to laugh at some of the fashions worn during some of those years, especially those of the late 60's (and of course have to admit that I too wore some of the most rediculous outfits in those days.). I'm just glad the image of me in the orange and black pants covered in big bright yellow sunflowers, is stuck away under tons of boxes, never to see the light of day!

Dave (D&A)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    Extremely well put Lloyd, and I couldn't agree more. It's those kind of pictures you described that I keep coming back to and that hold the most interest to me after all these years of image captures. As an aside, I often have to laugh at some of the fashions worn during some of those years, especially those of the late 60's (and of course have to admit that I too wore some of the most rediculous outfits in those days.). I'm just glad the image of me in the orange and black pants covered in big bright yellow sunflowers, is stuck away under tons of boxes, never to see the light of day!

Dave (D&A)
    Thanks Dave. And I know just what you mean. I had my white cuffs and collars, Nehru jacket, tie-day, etc... even sported alternatively a Fro and then a long ponytail. Yup, better left unseen, those pix of me from my psychedelic days.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Yes Loyd,
    some months ago my grand grand father passed away and going through images of the last years I was a) happy to find a good one of him in higher age (he was not the one who wanted to be on photos) and b) many memories came up when I went through the pictures.
    Now I am glad I have those images.
    As of today we now have 2 small kids and also this is/will be a time in my life which will not not last forever. I am living today but I also like to have some memories and a good image together with some imagination is enjoyable for me.
    The thing with the S2 is that I feel I can combine spending time with family and taking photographs a little easier. And right now I feel fine to use the S2 even for images where I do not need this high IQ.
    Of course I am not planning to use it just/only for family/friends images.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Slammed AGAIN!

No sooner did I finish shoveling 1.5' of snow off the walk ... then along comes another dump of the white stuff ... Grrrr! ...

Kinda pretty though, so I took a little stroll with the S2 ... the only thing remarkable about the snaps is that they were taken in a blizzard without regard for the MFD camera, which had wet snow piled up on it until it was mostly white instead of black ...

(I need a REAL photo job to exercise this pup! )

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'd feel sorry for you Marc, but it's snowing again here on this side of the big lake this morning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This Leica gear acquisition habit is costly. If you want to avoid lusting after more, you have to refuse all impulses to try out the gear. I have the 70 and the 180 was thinking that I could just get by with the 110/2 as a nice in-between portrait lens.

That is, until I tried out a 120 a friend is lending me over the weekend while he uses my 180 at the Super Bowl. Size-wise, it is shorter than I expected and is about the same length as the Zeiss 110/2 with the adapter. It's wider than the Zeiss, but not awkwardly so. Focus is noisier with the 120 than the 70 and the 180 ... more of high-pitched whirl sound.

In the town just down the road, they hold an annual winter festival with the central activity revolving around a bed race between local businesses on the frozen river that flows through town. I thought that this might present a great opportunity to see how I liked using the 120.

Bottom line is that the 120 is no disappointment. It flat out delivers sharp details and a crisp look that fits in well with the other S lenses. I'm glad the lens is currently very hard to secure as it'll provide me with some time to start saving.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by KurtKamka View Post
    I'd feel sorry for you Marc, but it's snowing again here on this side of the big lake this morning.
    Thanks Kirt, that usually means it'll dump on us by evening ...

Oh well, at least someone is having fun ... my sister-in-law and her hyperkinetic doggie "Princess" ... fun practice with the S2 AF and 180. Further proof that the "serious" S2 can also do double duty as an everyday "goof-off" camera

The S2 did as well as my Sony A900 ... probably because the subject is such a contrast to the background ... some of them were even done with AFc.

-Marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yep, it's snowing again.

-Marc

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yep, it's snowing again.

-Marc
    Count yourself lucky - here it's deep drab grey and very windy, no kind of photographic weather (I'd much rather have snow and cold) . . . . and now I'm jealous of Tom and his S2 as well (congratulations Tom).

Actually, much bigger congratulations Tom . . . and when do we get the pictures?

I'm not doubting my decision, just that sometimes it's not a comfortable one!

all the best
    have a great week.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Count yourself lucky - here it's deep drab grey and very windy, no kind of photographic weather (I'd much rather have snow and cold) . . . . and now I'm jealous of Tom and his S2 as well (congratulations Tom).

Actually, much bigger congratulations Tom . . . and when do we get the pictures?

I'm not doubting my decision, just that sometimes it's not a comfortable one!

all the best
    have a great week.
    You will succumb.

What cannot be conveyed here are what the prints look like ... M9ish only bigger, AF and 180mm

-Marc

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You will succumb.

What cannot be conveyed here are what the prints look like ... M9ish only bigger, AF and 180mm

-Marc
    Sssshhhhhhh

You're being unkind

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That's alright Jono. Take solace in your fast glass. Us S guys top out at f2.5.

Feel better now?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

We have moved house over the last week which coincided with massive rain storms here in Melbourne ( of course ) so not too much chance to play yet..still here is a snap from this afternoon just because

It has been interesting to compare it against my other systems...I never thought I would find a camera to challenge my love of the M9 - this thing is like a DMR in steroids,,,

and I want to go shooting with it - it is so much a pleasure to hold and use ..

Pete

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    It has been interesting to compare it against my other systems...I never thought I would find a camera to challenge my love of the M9 - this thing is like a DMR in steroids,,,

Pete
    Hi Peter,
    I like that image and I also agree with your statement how good the camera feels in the hand. The simplicity of the user interface (even if some may say Leica overdid it a little), the solid feel of body and lenses.
    By the way so far I am pretty happy with the accurancy of AF which had been my biggest concern (besides price) before having used the S2.
    Now if I could only decide between 120mm and 180mm as my third lens.

Hope to see more images form you soon,
    Tom

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

We have moved house over the last week which coincided with massive rain storms here in Melbourne ( of course ) so not too much chance to play yet..still here is a snap from this afternoon just because

Pete

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

...and I want to go shooting with it - it is so much a pleasure to hold and use ..

Pete
    You summed up the S2 experience quite well. That feeling doesn't go away. I still feel that way a year later.

Congratulations on getting the S2.

Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Peter,
    congratulations.
    Lens Summarit 2,5/35 is on the way
    Austrian Alps

Post Thanks / Like

You summed up the S2 experience quite well. That feeling doesn't go away. I still feel that way a year later.
    OK I'm ready for an inheritance. Can't decide who I'd want it from though.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Peter... glad to see you got your new kit. From what I've been reading in the papers you guys have had more than your share of bad weather down under. Hope that improves and you get some time to shoot.

Finally had a chance to play with the Hassy 110/2 with the adapter. This shot was more of a test to see how well I could do with MF and whether the DOF was too shallow. He's a local model... she's his wife. I shot their wedding a year or so ago and they are still in that wonderful first blush of love and romance.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by doug View Post
    OK I'm ready for an inheritance. Can't decide who I'd want it from though.
    Tough choice when you don't know how old folks are... you'd likely get more from Peter but you'd get it quicker from me

Post Thanks / Like

Hi David,
    you have a photo where the lady of focus?
    A man is out of focus..
    I think the same position...

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi David,
    you have a photo where the lady of focus?
    A man is out of focus..
    I think the same position...
    As a matter of fact I do Focus here was on the inside of her near eye.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow..
    great

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    As a matter of fact I do Focus here was on the inside of her near eye.
    I like this one better.

David
    David Farkas
    Leica Store Miami

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I also like the second one better. Looks great!

I dont have the time I wish I had but shot a little bit more now with the S2 and have to say I am very happy with the camera so far.
    The color and curves and tones of the files are just how I like it, they look like what I feel to have seen in reality with maybe a very very slight push in saturation and pop. (Letting al paramters like they were)
    Specially Skin which I find the most difficult thing wth many cameras.

With some cameras I own the images look great on the display but later on I am sometimes disappointed and in full size they look slightly worse, with the S2 it seems the opposite, they look good on the display and even better in full size later on.