Site Sponsors
Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast

Thread: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

Hi Tom ( glad you are enjoing your camera - beautiful shots of yoru daughter!), Marc ( I told you if you bought one I would -) Mark -thanks, CEH ( love all those beautiful Alpine shots -looking forward to some 35mm shots) and David enjoiyng your posts and looking forward to the arrival of my adaptor as I have a few high quality Zeiss lenses I wish to try..finally David Farkas thanks for all your help too -

The weather down here has been awful across the continent from floods to bush fires extreme weather events are common to Australia but it has been a frustrating summer this year.

I will be looking to make up some of my own profiles for the camera - perhaps those of you a bit more advanced in this area might like to swap notes?

Thus far I only have the 70 and I must say it is the best 'normal' focal length lens I have ever used - this is saying something for me - as a person who owns 5 different Leica M 50's! I judge a system by the way the lenses draw - this 70mm is not only super sharp - but also delivers a lovely OOF rendition when required as well as being able to focus very very close...amazing.

I am thinking the 35mm will be my next addition..

Pete

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well - Peter, love your coffee cup - Tom - great shots of Carolin . . .

Of course I'm getting vicarious pleasure from all your excitement . . . . and if you believe that

must stick to decision

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    Hi Tom ( glad you are enjoing your camera - beautiful shots of yoru daughter!), Marc ( I told you if you bought one I would -) Mark -thanks, CEH ( love all those beautiful Alpine shots -looking forward to some 35mm shots) and David enjoiyng your posts and looking forward to the arrival of my adaptor as I have a few high quality Zeiss lenses I wish to try..finally David Farkas thanks for all your help too -

The weather down here has been awful across the continent from floods to bush fires extreme weather events are common to Australia but it has been a frustrating summer this year.

I will be looking to make up some of my own profiles for the camera - perhaps those of you a bit more advanced in this area might like to swap notes?

Thus far I only have the 70 and I must say it is the best 'normal' focal length lens I have ever used - this is saying something for me - as a person who owns 5 different Leica M 50's! I judge a system by the way the lenses draw - this 70mm is not only super sharp - but also delivers a lovely OOF rendition when required as well as being able to focus very very close...amazing.

I am thinking the 35mm will be my next addition..

Pete
    Hi Peter

Just a note to you. I went exactly the same route as you and bought the S2 with the 70mm lens. I was committed to using that combination thoroughly to see how the camera performed as opposed to my usual approach of buying every lens available and thus never really pinning down the system.

I had the Hassy FE 110 2.0 and bought the Hassy to S2 converter from David Farkas to use with it. Of course using this combination required total manual operation i.e. focus, metering etc. However it was a very short learning curve and man this is the portrait combo of a lifetime. This lens, with virtually any compatible body, is just stunning. If anyone owns a really good copy they should keep it forever.

I am planning to buy the 120 Macro and finally I am looking for a very good copy of the Zeiss/Hassy V 350 SA for long work. I think this total system will suffice for most if not all of my needs. So I am looking forward to spring and acquiring all of this gear and head for the canyons of the American Desert Southwest.

Hope this is somewhat helpful to you in assessing your needs as well. Email me if you would like to comment or ask questions.

Your friend

Woody

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    Hi Peter

I had the Hassy FE 110 2.0 and bought the Hassy to S2 converter from David Farkas to use with it. Of course using this combination required total manual operation i.e. focus, metering etc. However it was a very short learning curve and man this is the portrait combo of a lifetime. This lens, with virtually any compatible body, is just stunning. If anyone owns a really good copy they should keep it forever.

I am planning to buy the 120 Macro and finally I am looking for a very good copy of the Zeiss/Hassy V 350 SA for long work. I think this total system will suffice for most if not all of my needs. So I am looking forward to spring and acquiring all of this gear and head for the canyons of the American Desert Southwest.
    Hi Woody,

one thing I have experienced over the last days is that even wide open at least the 70mm lens (the only one I have now) shows every little bit of detail in skin-which is sometimes not wanted.
    So I either have to learn how to soften in post, or I eventually thought that in some cases a lens with a little more "gentle" drawing - like maybe the 110/2.0 Zeiss -might be the way to go.
    But then I also plan to get the 120mm and ask myself -how often would you use the 110 fully manual when one ownes the 120 with AF and automac f-stop etc. So far I have resisted to go for the 110 Hassy.
    In the end i think it should be possible to do some post processing if images are too sharp. I think Marc has shown some example where he had done this with a plugin.
    Do you believe yours will get much use after you have the 120 Macro?
    I also wonder if Leica will bring a particular portrait lens, like a 100/2.0 for the S System.

It seems that the user base of S2 people is growing, which is also good for us since it lets me hope that Leica will continue to expand the system. (However I still hope for my bank account that they will keep the number of lenses offered limited )
    Tom

Regards, Tom

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    I'm as big a fan as Woody of the Hassy FE 110/2 and if I'm not mistaken that's one of my copies he's shooting with. Good thing I didn't take his advice and keep it forever. Since I don't shoot macro I will probably pass on the Leica 120 which is very close in focal length and probably not an optimal portrait lens. The 180mm, however, is an outstanding portrait lens. My good friend Andre Rowe and I shot this model recently... as usual, his shots are better... so I'll post a few of his images. Kidding aside my experience with the S2 (and MF in general) is that it rewards good technique and penalizes bad dramatically. Very small differences in focus can have a great effect on the final result.
    Do you think the 180 draws different than the 120 besides focal length?

Post Thanks / Like

DavidK,
    which can illuminate??

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    Do you think the 180 draws different than the 120 besides focal length?
    I have not shot with the 120 so have no opinion. David Farkas would be a better person to ask.

ceh... not sure I understand the question but if you're asking about the lighting, it's the Broncolor verso pack with the P65 reflector.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I have not shot with the 120 so have no opinion. David Farkas would be a better person to ask.

ceh... not sure I understand the question but if you're asking about the lighting, it's the Broncolor verso pack with the P65 reflector.
    Thanks David- I now have decided to go for the 120 - I believe for my use its more flexibel (with its macro capability, also short focusing distance should help for "tight" portraits, and also I think I like the focal length plus its faster). I am sure here and then I might miss the reach of the 180 but maybe a 180 (or a longer focal length?) in the longer future.

Any body any tips how to smoothen portrait images if they are to sharp ?

For now I am skipping the 110 as much as I loved it on my Hy6. I want to (try) to keep this kit simple/not too many lenses.
    Dont know what happens if I would see a real cheap sample of the 110 though.

Tom

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks David- I now have decided to go for the 120 - I believe for my use its more flexibel (with its macro capability, also short focusing distance should help for "tight" portraits, and also I think I like the focal length plus its faster). I am sure here and then I might miss the reach of the 180 but maybe a 180 (or a longer focal length?) in the longer future.

Any body any tips how to smoothen portrait images if they are to sharp ?

For now I am skipping the 110 as much as I loved it on my Hy6. I want to (try) to keep this kit simple/not too many lenses.
    Dont know what happens if I would see a real cheap sample of the 110 though.

Tom
    Tom,

Get a Zeiss Softar-I for the 120 macro ... it'll look like a 110/2 then : -) Nothing like the Softar.

For Post work ... take a look at OnOne Photo Tools 2.6 plug-in The Portrait enhancement tools are excellent and
    they can be applied selectively, or as a one button solution. It's my go to software for weddings and portraits. Fast, easy, reversible.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Tom,

Get a Zeiss Softar-I for the 120 macro ... it'll look like a 110/2 then : -) Nothing like the Softar.

For Post work ... take a look at OnOne Photo Tools 2.6 plug-in The Portrait enhancement tools are excellent and
    they can be applied selectively, or as a one button solution. It's my go to software for weddings and portraits. Fast, easy, reversible.

-Marc
    ..excellent tip
    Thanks.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Tom,

-Marc
    Thank you Marc!

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I don't feel that any lens is too sharp for portraiture. Yes, you can always soften in post, but I prefer better makeup and retouching that doesn't destroy the natural texture of the skin (if we are talking commercial/fashion/advertising work). I'd so much rather see texture than the dreaded plastic skin of certain heavily-AA'd cameras and photographers who are a little too aggressive on the negative clarity slider (-100!!! ).

Although.... just applying -10 clarity in LR will do wonders for skin, without going too far.

To get back on topic, the 120 is a phenomenal portrait lens. And, so is the 180. They both have a very similar look with very sharp in-focus areas and smooth bokeh in the OOF zones.

David
    David Farkas
    Leica Store Miami

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tom, David F's suggestion about reducing clarity in LR is a good one. I use that myself if I'm bypassing CS5. I'm not familiar with the software Marc uses but if he's using it I'm quite sure it's very good. My software of choice is Portraiture by Imagenomic. Bit of a learning curve but not too difficult and it operates as a plug-in within CS5 (or LR) which I like. Pretty sure they have a trial download if you want to give it a test drive.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My daughter's new puppy. Remarkable eyes on this dog. It also replaced a boyfriend that I wasn't too thrilled with The closeup is a crop from the first image. All with the 70mm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Beautiful eyes. Good job on the photos. Puppies don't usually sit still very long - at least not with their eyes open.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Beautiful shots David - and a great 'fatherly' thing to give your daughter. That dog will only ever love her and protect her his whole life.

What type of dog is that -btw?

Pete

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Pete... it's a Siberian Husky. Probably not the best breed to raise in Florida but it's the one she fell in love with. I haven't had much experience shooting dogs but I like to get down low when I do. The picnic table was a blessing, especially with no WL or right angle finder.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

pretty eyes and very well captured.

Post Thanks / Like

Pete... it's a Siberian Husky. Probably not the best breed to raise in Florida but it's the one she fell in love with. I haven't had much experience shooting dogs but I like to get down low when I do. The picnic table was a blessing, especially with no WL or right angle finder.
    Beautiful photos of the pup & daughter. She should be sure to have a well-fenced yard for the dog, Siberians are escape artists and when they get loose they love to run (that's what they were bred for!). My Siberian was almost 15 years old when he passed away last summer.

Post Thanks / Like

My daughter's new puppy. Remarkable eyes on this dog. It also replaced a boyfriend that I wasn't too thrilled with The closeup is a crop from the first image. All with the 70mm.
    ..beautiful photos

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

not typical MF area to shoot 2 week old babys in available light (thats what you do when you have a baby and a new camera and are tight up at home)
    640 ISO pushed 1 stop 1/25 Sek handheld (with some "sofa" support for my arm) - I think the S2 is very well damped.
    I tried the clarity minus10 here.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

not typical MF area to shoot 2 week old babys in available light (thats what you do when you have a baby and a new camera and are tight up at home)
    640 ISO pushed 1 stop 1/25 Sek handheld (with some "sofa" support for my arm) - I think the S2 is very well damped.
    Congratulations Tom. Beautiful shot of a beautiful child.

Post Thanks / Like

..absolutely great shot
    Leica S2 is so universal

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Gorgeous dog. Those eyes are amazing.

As a father who's been in the same position, I have to ask, has your daughter ever had a boyfriend you were thrilled with? (Never happened to me, so I was just wondering.)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Gorgeous dog. Those eyes are amazing.

As a father who's been in the same position, I have to ask, has your daughter ever had a boyfriend you were thrilled with? (Never happened to me, so I was just wondering.)
    Since my daughters are 3 years and 2 weeks old only the guys are not showing up yet - so I have some time left. Until then I can exchange some of my camera gear with heavy weapons to express myself

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Beautiful shots David. That Husky has some amazing eyes for sure!

But as beautiful as your daughter is, as a father myself I would have bought her a pet Bengal Tiger instead... mite stand a chance of keeping the boys at bay a slight bit longer

Post Thanks / Like

A few photos from the S2. These are unedited, straight from camera, jpeg, resized in LR3 1200 pixel max length, saved at 90%.

A few more, including edited copies can be found here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevenj...57626035639916

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Welcome to the forum Steve. I enjoyed your photos posted her and your flickr link.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Steve, good to see another S shooter join us.

Chuck, keeping the boys at bay with a Bengal tiger is a fine idea. The way my daughter showers love on that puppy he's more likely to lick than bite.

Lloyd, "thrilled" is not a word I'd use to describe any of the suiters I've seen so far. Still waiting for that college athlete, Rhodes scholar, well brought up type with no ink to come knocking on the door

Tom, your images aren't showing up for me. Hope to see them soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just familiarizing myself with the S2 and 70mm

L1000225-Edit.jpg by Peetey, on Flickr

some cold morning Melbourne (summer) light...

L1000243.jpg by Peetey, on Flickr

some late afternoon golden light

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by seattlesteve View Post
    A few photos from the S2. These are unedited, straight from camera, jpeg, resized in LR3 1200 pixel max length, saved at 90%.

A few more, including edited copies can be found here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevenj...57626035639916
    Steve, if you told me these were shot with a M9 I'd have not questioned it.

The B&Ws are what you should have posted here ... very nice!

Did you shoot these as jpegs? How are you converting those B&Ws?

-Marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

A great Sunday morning, when I left the house it was still foggy and then the sun came out with some great light.
    I quickly left my tripod at the side of the track and walked up shooting handheld because I did want to take advantage of that light and didnt know how long it would last.
    The only thing I missed was a wideangle lens, but on the other side I have to say its very nice to go out with just one lens, so you focus your search of subjects and your thinking on this one specific focallength / FOV.
    The detail if you zoom into the image is scary.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A great Sunday morning, when I left the house it was still foggy and then the sun came out with some great light.
    I quickly left my tripod at the side of the track and walked up shooting handheld because I did want to take advantage of that light and didnt know how long it would last.
    The only thing I missed was a wideangle lens, but on the other side I have to say its very nice to go out with just one lens, so you focus your search of subjects and your thinking on this one specific focallength / FOV.
    The detail if you zoom into the image is scary.
    Beautiful.

-Marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

same thing, different aspect ratio

Post Thanks / Like

same thing, different aspect ratio
    Both pictures are amazing.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

and some detail at 70mm/f2.5

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Original model for Michelangelo's 'Finger of God' found nailed to a tree in central Wisconsin.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

one more detail from that morning and then the obligatory family sunday afternoon walk image which you are used to see from me

Post Thanks / Like

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ceh View Post
    not only a beautiful image but also I really would like to be there in the snowy mountains.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

another beauty CEH - I like the two apposite diagonals and the mist obscuring the lines on the back lower diagonal of the peak - snow shoes?

Post Thanks / Like

another beauty CEH - I like the two apposite diagonals and the mist obscuring the lines on the back lower diagonal of the peak - snow shoes?
    Thank you for your comments
    Peter,
    I use a climbing irons.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ceh View Post
    Thank you for your comments
    Peter,
    I use a climbing irons.
    Rather you than me . . . I like skis myself, and going downwards is a favorite too.

That's a lovely photo - stunning, I want to be there, preferably with an S2!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have a few more images from my trip to the Valley of Fire that I posted on my blog if anyone is interested. Too many to post here without boring everyone to death.

The images were with the S2 and the 70mm and 180mm lenses.

Here's the blog address: www.kurtkamka.com/blog

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=KurtKamka;289993]I have a few more images from my trip to the Valley of Fire that I posted on my blog if anyone is interested. Too many to post here without boring everyone to death.

The images were with the S2 and the 70mm and 180mm lenses.

Here's the blog address: www.kurtkamka.com/blog

Fantastic scenery, Kurt. My favorite is this one:

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice Kurt - I like the way your shots dont have that over processed look. CEH - thanks for posting these mountain and snow views - and yes I am jealous (like Johno).

Keep em coming - very motivating imagery.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks and Peter.

Peter, there is really a lot of room in the S2 files to make them look however someone wants to process them. That's a huge positive for me as I feel like I process my files differently every time I open them up ... depending on my mood.

Here are a couple of images from yesterday with the Zeiss 250/4 FE lens. It's a lens that's an ok performer on the S2. It lacks the sharpness of the S series lenses and comes with a healthy dose of CA in bright situations ... but it's kind of nice to have it in the bag considering the price.

Kurt

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great images guys. A pleasure to be able to see these different locations without freezing (CEH and Kurt) or traveling half way round the globe (Peter) Tom, loved those stream shots you posted above. I've been traveling quite a lot lately and bring my M9 to scout locations. Now that I know where to capture some good shots I will have to bring my S2... although the M9 is no slouch by any means.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kurt indeed I guess thats why I have always liked the 30-40 megapixel MFD backs - so much 'information' to play with and lots of elbow room. I am wating for an adaptor from David at Dale to test each CF/CFE and F/FE series lens I have on the S2 - unfortunately I sold my copy of the 250. But if all the Leica lenses are as good as the 70mm from Leica - it seems I am going to have to pay the price - the 70mm has knocked my socks off.

David looking forward to your shots!

Post Thanks / Like

Kurt indeed I guess thats why I have always liked the 30-40 megapixel MFD backs - so much 'information' to play with and lots of elbow room. I am wating for an adaptor from David at Dale to test each CF/CFE and F/FE series lens I have on the S2 - unfortunately I sold my copy of the 250. But if all the Leica lenses are as good as the 70mm from Leica - it seems I am going to have to pay the price - the 70mm has knocked my socks off.

David looking forward to your shots!
    Well, Peter, let me know how they work out. I have both 250 and 350mm SA lenses and on the Contax they are sharp but a little dull (just Too analytical, and post processing has been tough). The S2 with the Leica color balance and saturation could really complement the zeiss glass....

I may rent the S2 for an Italy shoot just to test the Zeriss as well... now that my shoulder has healed I may be able to compare with the IQ180 (if it gets here in time)

S2 is still on the horizon, but with live view and focus mask, the IQ180 opens up a lot for me on the Alpa AND for R lenses... I have a capture group slide that I have mounted for the R and can use my P65+ with the Leica R modular lenses some vignetting but wow, a net 40MP 800mm Leica F4 is something. With the Iq180 it will be 60MP in the image circle.

anyway, lots to look forward to now...

Best regards
    Victor