Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

I enjoy the mountain photos as well.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Every so often I visit Bethesda by the Sea church in Palm Beach to take some photos. Thought I'd try my hand at capturing the beauty of the stained glass windows there. Even when the shots don't turn out as well as I'd like I always enjoy my time there. Not sure my rabbi would approve

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. The IQ of this camera is EPIC. As a new M9 owner, maybe I should have saved up 4x the scratch to jump into these waters... but I kid my photographic talents. Great thread everyone!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am sure your rabbi would approve David as an Orthodox Christian our priests constantly remind us of the fact that we are Judaeo Christians I guess that means an eye for an eye and the other one loking gthrough an s2 viewfinder? good to see you using your S2 so much
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The stained glass window photos are excellent David. I am impressed with the colors and evenness of illumination.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think all of us who shoot MF have, on more than one occasion, marvelled at the detail that these cameras are able to capture. Here's an unretouched, poorly exposed shot that's headed for the trash bin but I thought I'd share it (and the the lightened crop of the base of the cross) as an example of what's in these files if you look hard. So much more than the eye can see.

Kind of a funny story from this shoot. I'm in the Church alone and two fellows walk in and see me with my camera and tripod and the first words out of their mouth are: "Is that the S2?". Turns out they were architectural photographers scouting the location for a workshop they are holding there.

Pete, I reach for the S2 much more often than I ever did with the Sinar/Hy6 kit. Thats a big part of why I made the switch.

Mark, next trip down we should go there together with Roger.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I must say there are some lovely photographs in this thread. No exotic locations for me ... we are snowed in and confined to the not so great indoors I don't have gear envy, I have location envy

Did have a short S2 portrait session this past weekend ... typical family portrait at their home: Was told there would be 6 people, there were 9 including a dog and a 5 year old , The location didn't have any space to shoot ... even the 70 was to long and the 35 distorted the people too much ... and the one room I could just barely use the 70 by pressing up against the furthest wall, featured a low ceiling ... so no way to get the umbrellas high enough. Such are the trials and tribulations of a "concierge" photographer. Had an hour to shoot before everyone left for a birthday bash ... 12 different set-ups.

The S2 was tethered to my laptop shooting to LR using compressed DNGs ... pretty quick, but will now use the new shuttle for even faster review. The S2 performed flawlessly.

The one bright spot was it was a Korean family and they "sprung" some traditional Korean wardrobe on me 1/2 hour into the shoot ... here is one with the Grandparents fussing over the 5 year old ...

Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    I must say there are some lovely photographs in this thread.

Marc
    I agree.

As some of you may know, I have been following this thread and others on the S2 for quiete some time. It is now J-Day -3. I will pick up a 70 mm on Friday and the S2 with a 35 mm on Saturday . I only hope we will have some decent light here over the weekend to get it to work.

Georg

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Georg, Congratulations on succumbing to the S2. I look forward to you posting some photos. There is getting to be a pretty good group of S2 shooters hear now. It's great to see the variety of subjects, locations, and conditions the S2 is being used.

David, I will be sure to meet up with you and Roger next time I am down that way. There is a very good variety of stuff to shoot there. Are the church photos from the church you pointed out to Roger and I on our way to the Ferrari show?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    I must say there are some lovely photographs in this thread. No exotic locations for me ... we are snowed in and confined to the not so great indoors I don't have gear envy, I have location envy

Did have a short S2 portrait session this past weekend ... typical family portrait at their home: Was told there would be 6 people, there were 9 including a dog and a 5 year old , The location didn't have any space to shoot ... even the 70 was to long and the 35 distorted the people too much ... and the one room I could just barely use the 70 by pressing up against the furthest wall, featured a low ceiling ... so no way to get the umbrellas high enough. Such are the trials and tribulations of a "concierge" photographer. Had an hour to shoot before everyone left for a birthday bash ... 12 different set-ups.

The S2 was tethered to my laptop shooting to LR using compressed DNGs ... pretty quick, but will now use the new shuttle for even faster review. The S2 performed flawlessly.

The one bright spot was it was a Korean family and they "sprung" some traditional Korean wardrobe on me 1/2 hour into the shoot ... here is one with the Grandparents fussing over the 5 year old ...

Marc
    Marc, whats so impressive to me, technically speaking, in your posted shot is not only the simultanious reproduction and depth of all those bright vivid colors and textures and patterns in their outfits, but of the apparent accuracy and subtleness captured of the skin tones of each individual (seperately)...this aside from the attractive nature of the shot.

Hey wait, this was shot with a Leica...then why are those black socks black, not magenta?

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gowin View Post
    Are the church photos from the church you pointed out to Roger and I on our way to the Ferrari show?
    Yep, that's the one.

Georg, congrats on the new kit. Looking forward to seeing some photos from you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    Hi Woody,
    great to hear about your upcoming family member.
    We just got a little girl 4 weeks ago-I still would recommend to also bring a small and quiet camera. The first images I took were with an x1, you dont want to wake up a baby who just takes its first nap
    However after 4 weeks I think she is now used so much to the shutter of the S2 that it even helps to make her feel compfortable. I think my kids recognize me by the shutter sound of my cameras.
    Tom

Landon Dempsey Fontenot was born this morning at 3:44 MST. He is a gorgeous child and I will be posting images later today or early tomorrow. Right now i need some sleep as i had an all nighter as well. I got into the O.R. for the C section surgery which while a bit gruesome is also interesting if you are into that sort of thing.

Anyway, mother and son are doing really well. I will be going back to the hospital later today and will get more images.

Best

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    Every so often I visit Bethesda by the Sea church in Palm Beach to take some photos. Thought I'd try my hand at capturing the beauty of the stained glass windows there. Even when the shots don't turn out as well as I'd like I always enjoy my time there. Not sure my rabbi would approve
    Wonderful images David........thanks for posting

Woody

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Woody, congratulations and my best to mother, father and child !!!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    Marc, whats so impressive to me, technically speaking, in your posted shot is not only the simultaneous reproduction and depth of all those bright vivid colors and textures and patterns in their outfits, but of the apparent accuracy and subtleness captured of the skin tones of each individual (separately)...this aside from the attractive nature of the shot.

Hey wait, this was shot with a Leica...then why are those black socks black, not magenta?
    Magenta! ... Funny now, not then

I just grab the shot because of the little boy's expression. The intricate detail in the clothing at 100% is astounding. No morie' which I half expected.

-Marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, thats the other thing...the shinny fabric (and pattern) on their outfits would definitely lend itself to moire'. The more I see (of the S2), it's hard not to be impressed. I'm getting the impression from my limited shooting of earler Hassy MFD and currently the Penatx 645D...that the lenses themselves as opposed to the bodies/sensor, may be the ultimate contributing factor to some of these astonishing results. This is especially so, since many backs including the Pentax 645D body, are using similar chips and firmware/electronics are only part of the equation. Sort of the same thing we see with the Nikon D3x...ultimate image quality can suffer even with lenses that are exceptionally good on bodies like the D3s. It takes carefully selected lenses to bring out what the D3x is truly capable of.

Dave (D&A)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Congradulations Woody (to you and your family). We're all looking forward to the upcoming shots of the new little one!

Dave (D&A)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes, thats the other thing...the shinny fabric (and pattern) on their outfits would definitely lend itself to moire'. The more I see (of the S2), it's hard not to be impressed. I'm getting the impression from my limited shooting of earler Hassy MFD and currently the Penatx 645D...that the lenses themselves as opposed to the bodies/sensor, may be the ultimate contributing factor to some of these astonishing results. This is especially so, since many backs including the Pentax 645D body, are using similar chips and firmware/electronics are only part of the equation. Sort of the same thing we see with the Nikon D3x...ultimate image quality can suffer even with lenses that are exceptionally good on bodies like the D3s. It takes carefully selected lenses to bring out what the D3x is truly capable of.

Dave (D&A)
    Yeah, not bad ... ISO 320 no less ... the S lenses definitely rock!

Post Thanks / Like

Congradulations Woody (to you and your family). We're all looking forward to the upcoming shots of the new little one!

Dave (D&A)
    +1

Post Thanks / Like

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    Tom

Landon Dempsey Fontenot was born this morning at 3:44 MST. He is a gorgeous child and I will be posting images later today or early tomorrow. Right now i need some sleep as i had an all nighter as well. I got into the O.R. for the C section surgery which while a bit gruesome is also interesting if you are into that sort of thing.

Anyway, mother and son are doing really well. I will be going back to the hospital later today and will get more images.

Best

Woody
    Congratulations Woody! Let's see some photos.

David
    David Farkas
    Leica Store Miami

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Congrats Woody.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ceh - what a vista!!!

Congrats Woody!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Tom

Best

Woody
    Congratulations Woody! good to hear everybody is doing fine. I am sure you are having a good sleep now.Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

O.K. Guys

Got one hour of sleep so time to get this going.

Landon is doing wonderfully as is my daughter Heather after a not so routine C Section.

The following images are pretty self explanatory. As is always the lighting in the O.R. is grim with super green fluorescents. So I mixed some flash lighting with the Leica SL 58 flash unit. Most images are at ISO 1250 (and I thought the S2 did a very respectable job at this level). A few are at ISO 320. I will get with the kids tomorrow to do better lighting and more professional results. But for now the S2 acquitted itself rather well IMHO as a moving actors P&S!

Comments welcome

Woody

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations! However, I think your tribulations with the lighting were a bit less than your wife's challenges. Glad that you're both doing well. And Heather's weight? She looks healthy!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

From one "Papa" to another Woody, Congratulations. And to your daughter, son-in-law, and the new arrival.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tom in mpls View Post
    Congratulations! However, I think your tribulations with the lighting were a bit less than your wife's challenges. Glad that you're both doing well. And Heather's weight? She looks healthy!
    Actually Tom she is my daughter. If you look at my photo you can see why I am having no more children (Four was enough)

Woody

Post Thanks / Like

Oops...can't...get...my...foot...out...

Obviously I did a very poor job of reading the details. And it's not the first time I've done that.

Congrats, gramps!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very happy for you and your family Woody - congratulations !

Pete

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Babies everywhere.
    first Thomas and daughter Carolin
    Now Woody and grandson Landon
    Hooray!
    Congratulations to all grandparents/parents/new arrivals!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Congratulations Woody. You look very proud holding your new grandson. By the way, ISO 1250 is looking pretty good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    From one "Papa" to another Woody, Congratulations. And to your daughter, son-in-law, and the new arrival.
    Thanks Lloyd

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Congratulations Woody. You look very proud holding your new grandson. By the way, ISO 1250 is looking pretty good.
    Mark

I agree about ISO 1250. Your bird shots were great and as I mentioned I think my shots showed that even under bad lighting (God awful color) ISO 1250 allowed for many memorable shots even if they won't win awards

woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

... (God awful color) ...
    That is when I convert to B&W. When color distracts or doesn't add to the photo, B&W is the way to go.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

That is when I convert to B&W. When color distracts or doesn't add to the photo, B&W is the way to go.
    As the old photo printing saying goes... "If you can't make it right....make it black and white!"

Great stuff, Woody. Get some rest and enjoy your newly expanded family. Best wishes to you, Phyllis, Heather and all.

David
    David Farkas
    Leica Store Miami

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations Woody, to your and your family. Attending the birth of my 3 daughters were the most magic moments of my life. Unfortunately, I did not take a camera with me.

Georg

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

A beaufiful baby!

I have to say you were brave to shoot so early. And that with the S2 and flash. I allways thought I was bad jasing my family with my cameras, now I know I am not alone

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tom, pretty sure you are not alone in chasing the family around with a camera. There's probably a psychologist somewhere specializing in post traumatic posing syndrome for kids like mine...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    Tom, pretty sure you are not alone in chasing the family around with a camera. There's probably a psychologist somewhere specializing in post traumatic posing syndrome for kids like mine...
    + 1. But wait when they get in their teens. My youngest, who liked to posed when younger, now turns away almot anytime I appear with a camera. I hope that will change again.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GMB View Post
    + 1. But wait when they get in their teens. My youngest, who liked to posed when younger, now turns away almot anytime I appear with a camera. I hope that will change again.
    It does . . when they get to their 20's. One of my pleasures is the number of kids friends who use my pictures for their facebook profiles - gratifying.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Since we were talking about it. Here snapshots of our new family member and the proud sister
    640 ISO:

and 1250 ISO:

however I like that one with the K5 better:

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Since we were talking about it. Here snapshots of our new family member and the proud sister
    640 ISO:

and 1250 ISO:

Gorgeous children Thomas.

Congratulations

Woody

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Tom - she's growing up nicely - more congratulations!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

640 ISO:

and 1250 ISO:

Tom,

Don't you see the story that developed in these three images? The first, the little one is all tucked in and his teddy bear safe and sound in his arms. Then in the second image, along comes his sis...and he's a bit startled and grabs "teddy tight"...while she's comforting him and letting him know he's loved and that his "teddy" will be safe and secure with her around. Then in the thrid image while he's content and back to sleep...I can see her little hand reaching around to um... "borrow" teddy"! LOL!

Guess one can read anything into a series of images (its what my sis would have done ....but one things for sure....lovely children and images!

Dave (D&A)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Tom,

Don't you see the story that developed in these three images? The first, the little one is all tucked in and his teddy bear safe and sound in his arms. Then in the second image, along comes his sis...and he's a bit startled and grabs "teddy tight"...while she's comforting him and letting him know he's loved and that his "teddy" will be safe and secure with her around. Then in the thrid image while he's content and back to sleep...I can see her little hand reaching around to um... "borrow" teddy"! LOL!

Guess one can read anything into a series of images (its what my sis would have done ....but one things for sure....lovely children and images!

Dave (D&A)
    Dave,
    thank you -this is a great story! the kind of story the kids love. (and me too)
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tom, you have a beautiful family. I agree the last photo is a keeper due to the facial expression of your daughter.

Dave, wonderful interpretation of Tom's images.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Tom, Mark and All,

I think we can all agree, no matter what trials and tribulations in life that confronts us on a regular basis...our families and children (and for those that have grandchildren) bring an endless joy that can't be measured. They most definitely are the most satisfying (and favorite) subjects to try out our favorite photographic equipment and techniques on.

Dave (D&A)

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Tom, Mark and All,

I think we can all agree, no matter what trials and tribulations in life that confronts us on a regular basis...our families and children (and for those that have grandchildren) bring an endless joy that can't be measured. They most definitely are the most satisfying (and favorite) subjects to try out our favorite photographic equipment and techniques on.

Dave (D&A)
    The flip side is that they make camera gear look cheap by comparison

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Some from the Jewish Cemetery in Worms which is said to be the oldest in Europe (history back to 11th century)