Site Sponsors
Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast
Results 701 to 750 of 2464

Thread: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

  1. #701
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    860
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    76

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    The last photo with the gnarly tree is my favorite of this set. It would be even better if the bit of dark foliage wasn't in the upper left corner.

  2. #702
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Jupiter, Fla.
    Posts
    1,967
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Very nice Tom... I like the second in the set. Placing a rock on the monument is part of the Jewish tradition and serves as a reminder that the family has visited and the grave is attended and cared for.

  3. #703
    Senior Member ceh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Slovakia
    Posts
    1,506
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    ............................................

  4. #704
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,574
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    Very nice Tom... I like the second in the set. Placing a rock on the monument is part of the Jewish tradition and serves as a reminder that the family has visited and the grave is attended and cared for.
    So I guess this must be the grave of someone special. I like to go there another time with better background information:




  5. #705
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Karlsruhe, Germany
    Posts
    161
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    So I guess this must be the grave of someone special. I like to go there another time with better background information
    Hi Tom,

    It seems the grave of Rabbi Meir from Rothenburg and Alexander ben Salomo.

    There is tons of material available on the Internet, see for example
    http://www.alemannia-judaica.de/worms_friedhof.htm
    (in german language).

    Next time you go there let me know, its about 40 minute drive from my place.

    Regards,
    Ralf

  6. #706
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Jupiter, Fla.
    Posts
    1,967
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by ceh View Post
    ............................................
    Another beautiful photo ceh. It appears you spend quite a lot of time in the mountains.

  7. #707
    Senior Member ceh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Slovakia
    Posts
    1,506
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Thank you all for your comments.
    Very appreciate it
    I used my new 35 mm Summarit
    .................................................. .....

  8. #708
    Senior Member GMB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Heart of Europe
    Posts
    385
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    I picked up the S2 in Germany yesterday. The dealer was the same where Tom had bought his and Tom came to the shop with his family and they, my wife, and myself had a coffee afterward. Unfortunately, it was already getting dark so Tom and I could not go for an S2 shoot out, but may be next time.

    There are, unfortunately, also three issues that I encountered with the camera but I hope they can be fixed easily or are due to user error.

    First, and clearly the most problematic, is that the SF58, which I bought new on Friday, won't fire on the S2 (it works flawlessly on the M9). When on the S2, the flash symbol appears in the view find, the flash it sends out some red lights, but won't fire when the shutter is pressed. I tried everything and several times but without success (I also switched the camera off before putting on the flash and I even reset the camera to factory settings to be sure there was not the odd setting). Any leads appreciated.

    Second, when previewing, zooming into shots is sometimes slow. Specifically, I zoom in, but it takes time before the zoomed picture appears. (Note, I have a new 60MB/s Scandisk card).

    Third, there seems to be an issue with either the information regarding card capacity our my mathematical abilities. My understanding is that compressed DNGs are files of some 39Mb each. Thus, an 8GB card should give some 200 shots and a 16 GB some 400. However, when I put the 16 GB card in, it only showed 201 free shots and the 8 GB card only 101 shots (after formatting).

    Beside the above mentioned issues, overall experience after a half day of shooting pretty good. I realized however, that I will be on a steep learning curve, in particular the very shallow depth of field and risk of motion blurr with the larger sensor. Also, for the past 5 years I only shot rangefinder (Leica M7, 8, 9 and Hassi Xpan), and I have to get used to the size of the S2. But I am hopeful that it will be the beginning of a long and lasting friendship.

    Finally, in the good tradition of this thread, my first S2 shots posted include a dog shot.

    Attachment 40914

    Looking at the other posts, the choice was between a dog, gorgeous models hanging out on the pool, snowy mountains, or little babies. I don't have the latter any more, there are no mountains to speak of anywhere close, and trying to persuade a model to pose in a bikini at 4 degree Celsius seemed a bit of a stretch . So I went for the dog, even though a black dog in poor lightning is not an easy target for the S2. Several shots had the nose but not the eyes in focus.

    The others were grabbed for fun during the walk with the dog.

    Attachment 40915

    Attachment 40916

    Attachment 40917

    Georg

  9. #709
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    860
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    76

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Congratulations Georg. I think the answer to your first problem is simple. The flash has to be set to TTL-HSS, otherwise it won't fire. There is a thread about the SF-58 on S2 over on LUF.

    The second problem isn't a problem. It is a compromise chosen in the recent version of firmware. Previously the zoom was rather instantaneous, but now there is a delay in image rendering after about the second or third zoom step. I think this has something to do with the later firmware using larger preview jpgs to speed up tethering image preview. I am sure I will be corrected if wrong. Bottom line is the delay in image review rendering is now normal. That wasn't the case a few months ago.


    The third problem regarding the number of images per card is perhaps because you didn't select compressed DNG. Your math is correct in that you should be able to get about 200 compressed DNG images on an 8 gb card. Perhaps when you toggled to the compressed DNG, but didn't confirm the selection in the menu by pressing the click-wheel.

  10. #710
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    860
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    76

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Oh, I forgot to offer you some encouragement in getting familiar with your new S2. The more shallow depth of field has been and still is a challenge for me to adapt to. The need for more shutter speed and/or better handheld technique doesn't take as long to adapt. Although it can be frustrating at time, the learning curve coming from 35mm to MF is well worth it when you get it right.

  11. #711
    Senior Member GMB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Heart of Europe
    Posts
    385
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Mark--Many thanks for your prompt response. The fact that the flash did not work really caused me a headache. With TTL-HSS is worked.

    As regards the number of shots, the odd thing is that it makes no difference whether I check compressed or not .

    Thanks also for the encouragement. I am really looking forward to trying out the camera in good light. That should help.

    Cheers,

    Georg

  12. #712
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by GMB View Post
    I picked up the S2 in Germany yesterday. The dealer was the same where Tom had bought his and Tom came to the shop with his family and they, my wife, and myself had a coffee afterward. Unfortunately, it was already getting dark so Tom and I could not go for an S2 shoot out, but may be next time.

    There are, unfortunately, also three issues that I encountered with the camera but I hope they can be fixed easily or are due to user error.

    First, and clearly the most problematic, is that the SF58, which I bought new on Friday, won't fire on the S2 (it works flawlessly on the M9). When on the S2, the flash symbol appears in the view find, the flash it sends out some red lights, but won't fire when the shutter is pressed. I tried everything and several times but without success (I also switched the camera off before putting on the flash and I even reset the camera to factory settings to be sure there was not the odd setting). Any leads appreciated.

    Second, when previewing, zooming into shots is sometimes slow. Specifically, I zoom in, but it takes time before the zoomed picture appears. (Note, I have a new 60MB/s Scandisk card).

    Third, there seems to be an issue with either the information regarding card capacity our my mathematical abilities. My understanding is that compressed DNGs are files of some 39Mb each. Thus, an 8GB card should give some 200 shots and a 16 GB some 400. However, when I put the 16 GB card in, it only showed 201 free shots and the 8 GB card only 101 shots (after formatting).

    Beside the above mentioned issues, overall experience after a half day of shooting pretty good. I realized however, that I will be on a steep learning curve, in particular the very shallow depth of field and risk of motion blurr with the larger sensor. Also, for the past 5 years I only shot rangefinder (Leica M7, 8, 9 and Hassi Xpan), and I have to get used to the size of the S2. But I am hopeful that it will be the beginning of a long and lasting friendship.

    Finally, in the good tradition of this thread, my first S2 shots posted include a dog shot.

    Attachment 40914

    Looking at the other posts, the choice was between a dog, gorgeous models hanging out on the pool, snowy mountains, or little babies. I don't have the latter any more, there are no mountains to speak of anywhere close, and trying to persuade a model to pose in a bikini at 4 degree Celsius seemed a bit of a stretch . So I went for the dog, even though a black dog in poor lightning is not an easy target for the S2. Several shots had the nose but not the eyes in focus.

    The others were grabbed for fun during the walk with the dog.

    Attachment 40915

    Attachment 40916

    Attachment 40917

    Georg
    Georg!

    Nice, natural looking first post of images.

    Not problems but user error

    The SF58 will not fire unless set to TTL HSS in the flash menu under mode. If set to TTL, it will not fire. It is just the way it is.

    The capacity of the card is determined by full RAW files ... when I have the camera set to uncompressed DNG, the number is 403 with a 32 Gig Sandisk Extreem Pro, with the camera set to Compressed DNG the number remains at 403. 201 shots with a 16 gig card is correct. What is important is that it shows what you have left as you shoot.

    Can't answer the zoom question without seeing how fast it actually is for you.

    -Marc

  13. #713
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Jupiter, Fla.
    Posts
    1,967
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Contrats on the new kit Georg and glad most of your issues got resolved quickly and painlessly. You should make sure you have the (recently released) latest firmware. I don't know if the speed of the CF card makes a difference in zooming speed but I do know that my 90MBS CF card works faster than the 60MBS that I replaced (which is not the case on my Nikon D3S). Unfortunate since the 90's are 2x the price of the 60's (I know because I ordered some more today). Glad you posted your issues because I learned something I didn't know from the answers.

  14. #714
    Senior Member GMB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Heart of Europe
    Posts
    385
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Georg!

    Nice, natural looking first post of images.

    Not problems but user error

    The SF58 will not fire unless set to TTL HSS in the flash menu under mode. If set to TTL, it will not fire. It is just the way it is.

    The capacity of the card is determined by full RAW files ... when I have the camera set to uncompressed DNG, the number is 403 with a 32 Gig Sandisk Extreem Pro, with the camera set to Compressed DNG the number remains at 403. 201 shots with a 16 gig card is correct. What is important is that it shows what you have left as you shoot.

    Can't answer the zoom question without seeing how fast it actually is for you.

    -Marc
    Thanks Marc. I am really happy I joined the club (no Gaucho Marks second thoughts here ). Your many postings on this forum and on LUF were a great help for me. Odd thing with the counting, but once I noted that the number did not change whether the setting was compressed or not, I realized that it must be something stupid.

    Georg

  15. #715
    Senior Member GMB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Heart of Europe
    Posts
    385
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    David, Thanks. The speed for zooming is not an issue in practice. I was merely concerned that it could be a hint that something was wrong with the camera. Obviously it is not, and that's the most important.

    Georg

  16. #716
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,574
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Hi Georg,
    I think thats one of the main differences between Canikon shooters and Leiconians: The first group prefers cat images and the second group dog images
    The weather was so bad here today that I was afraid you wont have a chance to go shooting but obviously you did have a chance to get some nice shots.

    The DOF is really shallow but I still believe the thransition between sharp plane and OOF-areas is more smooth than with smaller sensors.
    I like shooting wide open a lot. Also specially with the 70mm Summarit the Bokeh is really smooth.
    I know there are some people who had problems with the S2 AF but personally I am so far convinced that the AF-System is up to focus this kind of shallow DOF.

    Hope you have fun with your new camera and we really enjoyed to meeting you and your wife + plus I appreciate that you spent the last hour with daylight in a cafe with us instead of fooling around with your new camera (sorry for that)

    Tom

  17. #717
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2,270
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    52

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Welcome to the club Georg!

  18. #718
    Senior Member ceh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Slovakia
    Posts
    1,506
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    ................................

  19. #719
    Senior Member GMB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Heart of Europe
    Posts
    385
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    Welcome to the club Georg!
    Thanks Peter. A great club indeed, but the entry fee is pretty stiff!

  20. #720
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Jupiter, Fla.
    Posts
    1,967
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Another beauty ceh...

  21. #721
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,704
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by GMB View Post
    Any leads appreciated.

    Finally, in the good tradition of this thread, my first S2 shots posted include a dog shot.

    Attachment 40914
    HI Georg
    Whilst I'd like to congratulate you on your S2, I find it impossible, as I'm jealous.

    As for the dog - what a lovely dog - we had one just like that - same nose, same expression. I hope your's is just as wonderful as our splendid Blue.

    So I can, at least, congratulate you on the dog!

    all the best

    Just this guy you know

  22. #722
    Senior Member GMB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Heart of Europe
    Posts
    385
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    HI Georg
    Whilst I'd like to congratulate you on your S2, I find it impossible, as I'm jealous.

    As for the dog - what a lovely dog - we had one just like that - same nose, same expression. I hope your's is just as wonderful as our splendid Blue.

    So I can, at least, congratulate you on the dog!

    all the best
    Jono,

    The dog, a 8 month old Flat Coated Retriever, is indeed lovely (sometimes too lovely because he wants to show his affection in manners that humans do not allways appreciate .

    As to being jealous, if I remember correctly, you could have bought the S2 but decided against it. So may be it's time to reconsider--Guy has said the several times already . The new Nocti and the 24 lux should not be too difficult to sell

    On a more serious note, I also was hesitating a long time whether the S2 would suite my style (I used rangefineders exclusively since 6 years and love the spontenous and direct style of shooting). I the end, the lust for the bigger sensor and the bigger files won over these concerns. I am curious how it will pan out.

    Georg
    Last edited by GMB; 1st March 2011 at 02:28. Reason: Typo

  23. #723
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,704
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Hi There Georg

    Quote Originally Posted by GMB View Post
    Jono,

    The dog, a 8 month old Flat Coated Retriever, is indeed lovely (sometimes too lovely because he wants to show his affection in manners that humans do not allways appreciate .
    Don't worry - they settle down a bit when they're about 10

    here's a link to a little memorial for our last flatcoat:

    Flatcoat Retriever Porn

    Quote Originally Posted by GMB View Post
    As to being jealous, if I remember correctly, you could have bought the S2 but decided against it. So may be it's time to reconsider--Guy has said the several times already . The new Nocti and the 24 lux should not be too difficult to sell
    Well, there's want and need - and I'm trying to be grownup on the 'need' front. Which doesn't for a moment stop me being jealous!

    Quote Originally Posted by GMB View Post
    On a more serious note, I also was hesitating a long time whether the S2 would suite my style (I used rangefineders exclusively since 6 years and love the spontenous and direct style of shooting). I the end, the lust for the bigger sensor and the bigger files won over these concerns. I am curious how it will pan out.
    Georg
    It sounds like we had pretty much the same concerns, but jumped in different directions - Mind you, I do sometimes wonder if I keep out of the MF ratrace simply to annoy Guy!

    Just this guy you know

  24. #724
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,574
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    ...Well, there's want and need - and I'm trying to be grownup on the 'need' front. ....
    I guess thats why you got the Nocti and 24Lux

  25. #725
    Senior Member GMB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Heart of Europe
    Posts
    385
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi There Georg



    here's a link to a little memorial for our last flatcoat:

    Flatcoat Retriever Porn


    Well, there's want and need - and I'm trying to be grownup on the 'need' front. Which doesn't for a moment stop me being jealous!

    Nice shots of your dog. I took about a 100 of ours over the past months but focussing with manual focus is quite a challenge.

    For a hobbyist, who does photography for fun and not to earn a living, "need" is the wrong concept, IMHO. I may need to make some photos for the family album but for that I "need" neither the M9 or the S2, let alone the lenses I have. I got the S2 because I thought that I would enjoy taking pictures with it as well as the pictures I will take it. I hope this works out--if yes, it was the right decision, if not, I'll sell it.

    Georg

  26. #726
    Senior Member ceh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Slovakia
    Posts
    1,506
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    Another beauty ceh...
    Thank you David,
    I still have some pictures..

  27. #727
    Senior Member GMB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Heart of Europe
    Posts
    385
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by ceh View Post
    Thank you David,
    I still have some pictures..
    ceh -- Your mountain shots are really cool, in the true sense of the word, I am afraid.

  28. #728
    Senior Member ceh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Slovakia
    Posts
    1,506
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    .....................

  29. #729
    Senior Member atanabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Napa Valley, CA
    Posts
    432
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Great shots everyone!

    Every time I venture onto this thread I am reminded of the last scene in the film "Raiders of the Lost Ark" where the ark is opened and one must not look into it or else they will perish. In this case I think my wallet will perish if I keep on looking.

    Must not look! Must not look!
    Al Tanabe

  30. #730
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    Posts
    2,075
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by atanabe View Post
    Great shots everyone!

    Every time I venture onto this thread I am reminded of the last scene in the film "Raiders of the Lost Ark" where the ark is opened and one must not look into it or else they will perish. In this case I think my wallet will perish if I keep on looking.

    Must not look! Must not look!
    C'mon Al

    Most of our German trip group have migrated to the S2 and for good reasons. I know that at least Roger Dunham, Mark Gowin and i have the system and I firmly believe that Al Tanabe should join as well. Plus other really outstanding photogs like David Kipper and Marc Williams (Fotografz) have entered the fray as well. Also since you have many fine Hassy V lenses you don't have to immediately jump to all the S2 lenses. David Farkas can sell you an inexpensive Hassy to S2 adapter and Bob's your uncle! I am using the adapter with the Zeiss FE 110 2.0 and trying the Zeiss 350 SA as well (It arrives tomorrow!) I know I will love the quality and the the images from the 350 SA but it is (as you know) extremely expensive and I need to think through how often I will use that focal length before jumping in.



    It is expensive, but worth it.

    Best

    Woody

  31. #731
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Kyoto, Japan
    Posts
    45
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    It is expensive, but worth it.

    Best

    Woody
    Hi Woody,
    Apologies for the late congrats on the family addition. I was traveling to Myanmar with a Steve McCurry workshop and took the S2 with me to field test and was very happy with the results. The portability is great and the 120 is a great lens (I only took the 120/35 combo). Sorting through my pictures, I am very happy with the fact that I can crop a lot out and still get huge files to play with. Most of my files required very little post processing and the B&W are very decent if I may so so myself.
    Best regards,
    Arif
    www.arifiqball.com
    http://blog.arifiqball.com/

  32. #732
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,574
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Some first shots with the 120:






    can you smell it actually it didnt

  33. #733
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    860
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    76

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Congrats on getting the 120mm Tom. It is a stellar lens as you already know. They have been pretty scarce since their introduction so you are fortunate to get one so quick. As I recall Marc also has one enroute to him soon.

    Inwas very tempted tonged the 120mm due to it's closer focus distance and faster aperture, but in the end I decided the extr reach of the 180mm was more important to me.

    I look forward to seeing more great photos from y and Marc wi the 120mm.

  34. #734
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    860
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    76

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    C'mon Al

    Most of our German trip group have migrated to the S2 and for good reasons. I know that at least Roger Dunham, Mark Gowin and i have the system and I firmly believe that Al Tanabe should join as well. Plus other really outstanding photogs like David Kipper and Marc Williams (Fotografz) have entered the fray as well. Also since you have many fine Hassy V lenses you don't have to immediately jump to all the S2 lenses. David Farkas can sell you an inexpensive Hassy to S2 adapter and Bob's your uncle! I am using the adapter with the Zeiss FE 110 2.0 and trying the Zeiss 350 SA as well (It arrives tomorrow!) I know I will love the quality and the the images from the 350 SA but it is (as you know) extremely expensive and I need to think through how often I will use that focal length before jumping in.



    It is expensive, but worth it.

    Best

    Woody
    Woody, I have been working on Al about the S2 to the point of sending him DNG files I took with my S2 and his Hasselblad 350mm. It is a good combination - not as good as the 350mm SA but still pretty good.

    We are not giving up on you Al. Take a good long look in the ark.

  35. #735
    Senior Member atanabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Napa Valley, CA
    Posts
    432
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Guys, unless I win the lottery, or for some reason, my significant other goes wild and crazy allowing me to buy such a wonderful system, I will have to wait. Or I may have to sell one of my M9s and 90 AA and 24 Elmarit and my Hassey CFV and . . . oh yeah right kidney

    But seriously, I am impressed with the image quality, both from the sensor and especially from the lenses. It is a system that I am considering, but in the future.

    Kindest regards,
    Al
    Al Tanabe

  36. #736
    Senior Member atanabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Napa Valley, CA
    Posts
    432
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    C'mon Al

    Most of our German trip group have migrated to the S2 and for good reasons. I know that at least Roger Dunham, Mark Gowin and i have the system and I firmly believe that Al Tanabe should join as well. Plus other really outstanding photogs like David Kipper and Marc Williams (Fotografz) have entered the fray as well. Also since you have many fine Hassy V lenses you don't have to immediately jump to all the S2 lenses. David Farkas can sell you an inexpensive Hassy to S2 adapter and Bob's your uncle! I am using the adapter with the Zeiss FE 110 2.0 and trying the Zeiss 350 SA as well (It arrives tomorrow!) I know I will love the quality and the the images from the 350 SA but it is (as you know) extremely expensive and I need to think through how often I will use that focal length before jumping in.



    It is expensive, but worth it.

    Best

    Woody
    Woody,
    The 350 SA would still be less than a 350 f3.5 Leica lens in any case. The 350 SA is a stellar lens, I only wish that I could actually get to use one. THe value of it will still be there years down the line as it is a pretty rare lens out there. Enjoy it! That is the beauty of the S2 and adaptors is the freedom to add other lenses to the mix.

    Regards,
    Al
    Al Tanabe

  37. #737
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,574
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gowin View Post
    Congrats on getting the 120mm Tom. It is a stellar lens as you already know. They have been pretty scarce since their introduction so you are fortunate to get one so quick. As I recall Marc also has one enroute to him soon.

    Inwas very tempted tonged the 120mm due to it's closer focus distance and faster aperture, but in the end I decided the extr reach of the 180mm was more important to me.

    I look forward to seeing more great photos from y and Marc wi the 120mm.
    Hi Mark,
    I had a hard time to decide between the 2 lenses (as I only wanted to get one of them now).
    I think I will still want one longer lens one day in the future though.

  38. #738
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,704
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    Some first shots with the 120:




    can you smell it actually it didnt
    All lovely Tom - but especially this one. These are the sort of shots that cause me most pain!
    I will be strong, I will be strong!

    all the best

    Just this guy you know

  39. #739
    Senior Member GMB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Heart of Europe
    Posts
    385
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    Some first shots with the 120:



    Glückwunsch Tom . The second shot is very nice. Is that full frame or did you crop?

    I called Herr K. but unfortunately he only got one 120 . Let's hope that a second one arrives soon.

    Meanwhile it looks like the weather will be nice over the weekend so that I can finally put my S2 to good use.

    Georg

  40. #740
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by atanabe View Post
    Guys, unless I win the lottery, or for some reason, my significant other goes wild and crazy allowing me to buy such a wonderful system, I will have to wait. Or I may have to sell one of my M9s and 90 AA and 24 Elmarit and my Hassey CFV and . . . oh yeah right kidney

    But seriously, I am impressed with the image quality, both from the sensor and especially from the lenses. It is a system that I am considering, but in the future.

    Kindest regards,
    Al
    It's worth it ... except for the Kidney ... maybe ...

    Did my first "studio" shoot with the S2 yesterday, and I couldn't believe how agile it is to work with. Pics to come.

    -Marc

  41. #741
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,574
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by GMB View Post
    Glückwunsch Tom . The second shot is very nice. Is that full frame or did you crop?

    I called Herr K. but unfortunately he only got one 120 . Let's hope that a second one arrives soon.

    Meanwhile it looks like the weather will be nice over the weekend so that I can finally put my S2 to good use.

    Georg
    Hi Georg,
    I think this one is full frame.
    We have very nice weather here as well right now.
    First impression of the 120 indicates that the S2 AF is up to the task of such shallow DOF, but lets see.
    The motor for the AF of the 120 has to really do a job when focusing from close to infinity. And you can hear that which scared me a bit in the beginning. I am looking forward to shoot some portraits with it soon.

  42. #742
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Did my Pregnancy studio shoot last night with the S2. About 2 hours of steady shooting tethered to LR3.3 (I tested the new Leica shuttle and IMO the preview window is too small with the preview itself to low quality when at its largest size). Probably okay if shooting to a 13" or 15" laptop but I'm shooting to dual 30 monitors with the library browser on one screen and the full screen preview of the last shot taken on the second monitor. I prefer LR for checking details at 100% or 200% anyway, and can show clients some quick adjustments if necessary. The capture speed wasn't an issue at all ... I'd shoot an uninterrupted series, and for basic stuff the LCD shows you on set, then check it out on the big screens to see what else I might want to do.

    The S2 performed flawlessly, and was very agile in use. I had pre-planned about 6 or 7 idea scenarios and had the lighting staged and ready, so we could go from one idea to the next by eliminating lighting components (I posted the pre-production of the lighting in the GetDpi Lighting forum a couple of days ago).

    Here's the first one that I'm working on ... this client was lots of fun, and up for doing anything with-in tasteful boundaries.

    Presenting Mrs. H. Dumpty:

    Attachment 41103

    She was shot with the S-35mm, and then further distorted in PS ... then added to other layered shots to complete the image. I had planned on shooting her sitting on a table, but thought better of it ... no accidents with a pregnant woman please. So I had to shoot from floor level which wasn't optimal. What was nice about having such a high resolution and extraordinarily sharp image is the ability to manipulate the file with less apparent destruction. When complete I'm proposing that this image be printed 30" tall and framed for the Baby's room.

    More to come

    -Marc

  43. #743
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    Posts
    2,075
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by atanabe View Post
    Woody,
    The 350 SA would still be less than a 350 f3.5 Leica lens in any case. The 350 SA is a stellar lens, I only wish that I could actually get to use one. THe value of it will still be there years down the line as it is a pretty rare lens out there. Enjoy it! That is the beauty of the S2 and adaptors is the freedom to add other lenses to the mix.

    Regards,
    Al
    Al

    I just received the lens about 5 minutes ago from the UPS man. I will be shooting all weekend to determine if this focal length makes enough sense to spend this kind of money. I have no doubt this lens is spectacular (The lens originally belonged to David K and he and David Farkas did lots of shooting with it on the S2 as part of the development of the Hassy to S2 adapter) My only issue is whether for my type of shooting I will get enough use from it. However if you remember the line from the movie "Field of Dreams" it went "If you build it, they will come." So we'll see. Anyway, we all need to get back together for an alumni shoot, so if I keep the lens you can take images from both your 350 and the 350 SA and see the differences.

    My 120 should be at David Farkas any day now and that is one lens on my "must" list. If it is all I hope it will be, maybe I will sell my Zeiss 110 F2.0. I said "maybe."

    Anyway, all in all I am getting better results from the S2 than any camera I have owned. Pry it from my cold dead hands.

    Best

    Woody

  44. #744
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,574
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    playing around with the 120 at f2.5 - I have to admit that focusing handhold kids at f2.5-4.0 isnt really easy and I got many images which were slightly off- some were focused fine.




  45. #745
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Jupiter, Fla.
    Posts
    1,967
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Very cool shot Marc... would love to see a larger version of this one.

    Woody, I too am getting some of my best shots ever with the S2... and with a lot less hassle.

    Nice to hear that some of you are already taking delivery of the 120mm. I only view them with one eye open as I'm afraid I will like what I see.

  46. #746
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Jupiter, Fla.
    Posts
    1,967
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    playing around with the 120 at f2.5 - I have to admit that focusing handhold kids at f2.5-4.0 isnt really easy and I got many images which were slightly off- some were focused fine.



    Wow...

  47. #747
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    860
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    76

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Tom, your daughter is a cutie and very photogenic. I was hoping to see some shots of her with the 120mm and these are great.

  48. #748
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    Very cool shot Marc... would love to see a larger version of this one.

    Woody, I too am getting some of my best shots ever with the S2... and with a lot less hassle.

    Nice to hear that some of you are already taking delivery of the 120mm. I only view them with one eye open as I'm afraid I will like what I see.
    Thanks David, It really is pretty cool when viewed large. I'm letting it sit for a day or two before finishing it. Most of the other shots from this session were no where as whimsical ... but I used all three lenses, and I'm very pleased with the whole session ... sure wish I had the 120. Probably get it middle of next week. Exciting camera to use, I must say. Love the feel and responsiveness.

    -Marc

  49. #749
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    Posts
    2,075
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    Very cool shot Marc... would love to see a larger version of this one.

    Woody, I too am getting some of my best shots ever with the S2... and with a lot less hassle.

    Nice to hear that some of you are already taking delivery of the 120mm. I only view them with one eye open as I'm afraid I will like what I see.
    David

    I sold all of my gear, including the M9 and all the lenses, to get my S2 system. (Hell I am already almost 74 so one kidney is good enough LOL). The 120mm was in the mix from the very start. This is not a new OMG I really want/need this lens. If there were not a macro lens at this focal length I don't know that I would have gone the S2 route. (Although now that I have the system if I knew then what I know now, I would have bought it anyhow!

    I am just starting to use the 350SA as it arrived UPS today. I was disappointed that the tripod mount for the SA is a Hasselblad one and all my tripod heads are fitted for Arca Swiss. I shot just a few test shots mounting the lens and camera directly to the tripod using the LBracket on the camera. But I won't do this much as this puts a lot of stress on the bayonet mount which I really don't want to destroy anytime soon. So if you or others know of a quick fix way to go from the Hassy mount to the Arca Swiss mount, please let me know.

    Woody

  50. #750
    Subscriber Member KurtKamka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,232
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    26

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    I borrowed the 120 from a friend for a week ... my mistake. Now I know that I need one. Actually, of all of the current S lenses, it's probably the one I'd use the most. Or maybe that's what the lustful side of brain tells me. The trouble is that I have the other three. At least there are only four lenses (steps) in the current Leica S addiction program. The 120 is a stellar lens ... but so are the others. I'm secretly happy that the roll-out of the S-system lens line-up has been slow ... I'm not certain I could afford anything quicker.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •