Site Sponsors
Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 ... LastLast

Thread: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

Post Thanks / Like

Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    David

I sold all of my gear, including the M9 and all the lenses, to get my S2 system. (Hell I am already almost 74 so one kidney is good enough LOL). The 120mm was in the mix from the very start. This is not a new OMG I really want/need this lens. If there were not a macro lens at this focal length I don't know that I would have gone the S2 route. (Although now that I have the system if I knew then what I know now, I would have bought it anyhow!

I am just starting to use the 350SA as it arrived UPS today. I was disappointed that the tripod mount for the SA is a Hasselblad one and all my tripod heads are fitted for Arca Swiss. I shot just a few test shots mounting the lens and camera directly to the tripod using the LBracket on the camera. But I won't do this much as this puts a lot of stress on the bayonet mount which I really don't want to destroy anytime soon. So if you or others know of a quick fix way to go from the Hassy mount to the Arca Swiss mount, please let me know.

Woody
    Woody,

I am actually interested how you feel the S2 compares to the H4D60. I read all your posts about the H4D60 with great interest and I kind of was worried that during that time you did almost no posts about the S2

Why I am interested is because I am in a similar position - I have still my H3D39 and an Flextight X5 (which I BTW do not use any longer) and would sell all of that, maybe also including some of my M glass, to buy into the S system. But I still cannot make up my mind.

So your thoughts owning both Hasselblad and S2 would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Peter

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gowin View Post
    Tom, your daughter is a cutie and very photogenic. I was hoping to see some shots of her with the 120mm and these are great.
    Thanks Mark,
    normally I wouldnt bother to post so many images from my kids, but I thought (from the other thread) that some might be interested to see some images from the 120.

So far I am really happy with my decision for that lens - I have to say however that I find the 70 to also work very well for close distance portraits. I find the 70 to have a very nice cminimum close focusing distance, and a very very nice Bokeh for a "normal" lens, plus being slightly longer than many normal lenses it does a great job as well + being the most compact (if one call it compact) of the S2 lenses.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    [SIZE="2"]

Presenting Mrs. H. Dumpty:

Attachment 41103
    Normally I am not that much a fan of "manipulated" images but this one I really like a lot.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I wrote before about focusing the 120 with its shallow DOF a bit difficult for moving subjects.
    I just did some focus test shooting a spider lens cal at small to medium distance and accurancy is very good. This is great. I might repeat myself but I really did not expect the AF to work that precise.

Now we just need true focus in a firmware update (just kidding)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Woody,

I am actually interested how you feel the S2 compares to the H4D60. I read all your posts about the H4D60 with great interest and I kind of was worried that during that time you did almost no posts about the S2

Why I am interested is because I am in a similar position - I have still my H3D39 and an Flextight X5 (which I BTW do not use any longer) and would sell all of that, maybe also including some of my M glass, to buy into the S system. But I still cannot make up my mind.

So your thoughts owning both Hasselblad and S2 would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Peter
    Hi Peter, I will be taking a H4D/60 for a test drive this coming week. I will be comparing files from it against my S2 and H2F/39 Multi-Shot in a controlled studio environment. This will strictly be a "best case" scenario file comparison of resolution and lenses for practical applications often faced in the studio with very consistent Profoto lighting ... not a handling, ergonomics, etc. which is a whole other testing scenario.

I do not consider the S2 a replacement for my far more versatile Hasselblad system. However, the opposite is also true ... the Leica is more compact, weather resistant, and promotes "take with" over any other MFD system, while beating out any 35mm DSLR in resolution, file size, and optics.

The objective of this test-drive is to determine whether to replace the 39 Multi-Shot with the H4D/60 ... in particular how the Dalsa sensor performs in single shot verses the 39 back shot in Multi-Shot mode ... (I'll compare in single shot also, but I already know the answer to that question ). I also already know that the CF/39 Multi-Shot out performs the S2 ... but only when shot MS, not single shot ... MS being limited to static compositions while tethered to a computer.

If there is anything I can try for you, let me know and if I have time I'll try to accomplish it. PM your e-mail address and I'll try to send a few RAW files for you to review.

-Marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    Normally I am not that much a fan of "manipulated" images but this one I really like a lot.
    Thanks TOM! It means a lot coming from you guys.

I'm not a huge fan of manipulated images either, but I just couldn't help myself when this "egg" idea popped into my noggin. I had to try it.

The only thing I manipulated on the rest of the shoot was the lighting.

-Marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I wrote before about focusing the 120 with its shallow DOF a bit difficult for moving subjects.
    I just did some focus test shooting a spider lens cal at small to medium distance and accuracy is very good. This is great. I might repeat myself but I really did not expect the AF to work that precise.

Now we just need true focus in a firmware update (just kidding)
    Can't wait to get my mitts on this lens. However, one thing I already know will be a short coming is the f/22 max aperture for a macro. f/22 with a MFD lenses is tough as it is ... I ran up against that during my most recent studio shoot where the strobes forced stopping down, and I had to use a ND filter to make it work at the lowest ISO. In this case it had to be a polarizer, since I didn't have a 82mm ND for the 70mm. But a MFD Macro used as a macro with a f/22 max aperture is going to be really tough to use if you want DOF. My HC120 Macro goes to f/45, and refraction aside, sometimes you just need it.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Although I haven't commented, please continue posting as many images as you'd like to post, Tom, Marc, CEH, Woody, Mark, David and whomever else I'm missing. It's great to see how many different ways that the S2 is being used. You guys are putting together a nice string of excellent shots. The S2 certainly seems to be used more as an all-around system (with some caveats) than I think most people would have imagined when it was first announced.

Kurt

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    David

I am just starting to use the 350SA as it arrived UPS today. I was disappointed that the tripod mount for the SA is a Hasselblad one and all my tripod heads are fitted for Arca Swiss. I shot just a few test shots mounting the lens and camera directly to the tripod using the LBracket on the camera. But I won't do this much as this puts a lot of stress on the bayonet mount which I really don't want to destroy anytime soon. So if you or others know of a quick fix way to go from the Hassy mount to the Arca Swiss mount, please let me know.

Woody
    Woody I just screw in an arca style plate to the bottom of a Hasselblad tripod mount..I took a quick snap of the set up I have for the Hasselblad mount I use on a 200 series blad with Kirk style plate screwed into the bottom..similar RRS plate would have same facility.
    Last edited by PeterA; 5th March 2011 at 05:36.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    Woody I just screw in an arca style plate to the bottom of a Hasselblad tripod mount..I took a quick snap of the set up I have for the Hasselblad mount I use on a 200 series blad with Kirk style plate screwed into the bottom..similar RRS plate would have same facility.
    Peter

No doubt this will work so thanks.

Only problem is that this makes for a much less stable tripod mount given that you need to use the already not so stable Hassy clamp. I have one of these from my 501 days so I will just need to get the correct RRS mount to begin to use it and see how stable it really is.

Again thanks for the solution.

Woody

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

today, 120 f4.0 slightly cropped:

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Beautiful daughter, Tom.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by KurtKamka View Post
    Beautiful daughter, Tom.
    And what a wonderful age...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here are a few shots from a couple of weeks ago when I dropped by the state capitol in Madison to see what all of the demonstrations were about. I didn't realize they would still be continuing as the weeks have progressed. All were with the 70mm lens.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Kurt and David.
    The poor little girl has to compensate for my lack of time to go out shooting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Woody, I have been working on Al about the S2 to the point of sending him DNG files I took with my S2 and his Hasselblad 350mm. It is a good combination - not as good as the 350mm SA but still pretty good.

We are not giving up on you Al. Take a good long look in the ark.
    I took a look and it was beautiful! Just found a deal on a used one in perfect shape. At my local, facilitator, pusher - dealer .

Will post images soon once the incisions heal for my kidney.

Al
    Al Tanabe

Post Thanks / Like

Liking the S2-P with the 35mm and 70mm.

My Son - WIth Leica S2 - Color by ZoomPhotog, on Flickr

S^2 Grunge by ZoomPhotog, on Flickr

Baby Girl! by ZoomPhotog, on Flickr

His two sons! by ZoomPhotog, on Flickr

The Conversations! by ZoomPhotog, on Flickr
    | Leica M9 | 35mm Summilux ASPH | 50mm Summilux ASPH | 50mm Noctilux ASPH | 75mm Summicron ASPH |
    | Leica S2-P | Grip | 35mm Summarit ASPH | 70mm Summarit ASPH | 120mm Summarit ASPH|

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zoomstop View Post

The Conversations! by ZoomPhotog, on Flickr

Twins?

I like The Conversations a lot!

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Bagan, Myanmar - 120mm, ISO 640, F6.8, 1/350s
    Thank you for looking,
    Arif
    www.arifiqball.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by atanabe View Post
    I took a look and it was beautiful! Just found a deal on a used one in perfect shape. At my local, facilitator, pusher - dealer .

Will post images soon once the incisions heal for my kidney.

Al
    Congratulations Al. You don't need both kidneys anyway. Now all you need is the Hasselblad to S2 adapter from David Farkas and you are set.

I hope you got the Leica 70mm with the S2 to have one autofocus lens. It is surprisingly flexible and produces excellent images.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Congratulations Al. You don't need both kidneys anyway. Now all you need is the Hasselblad to S2 adapter from David Farkas and you are set.

I hope you got the Leica 70mm with the S2 to have one autofocus lens. It is surprisingly flexible and produces excellent images.
    Yes, got the 70 in the package. I will test all of my lenses and see what lenses to keep out of the bunch. The 70 focuses nice and close, may hold off on the macro for now.
    Al Tanabe

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Congrat's Al. Please do not tell me your dealer has a spare 120mm... seriously, don't tell me

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That's great news Al. Now we need to start planning a trip to get gang from the Germany trip back together. Hopefully we can get some more folks to come along as well ( David, Kurt, others).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think we should plan an S2 get together somewhere this spring or summer. Perhaps a long weekend? Maybe somewhere centrally located with great shooting possibilities. Thoughts anyone?

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think we should plan an S2 get together somewhere this spring or summer. Perhaps a long weekend? Maybe somewhere centrally located with great shooting possibilities. Thoughts anyone?
    Been thinking the same thing. I think Woody is heading to Florida one of these days and Mark has expressed a desire to come back but I'd be down for anyplace with good shooting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes, we do need to get back together again!
    Al Tanabe

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

That's great news Al. Now we need to start planning a trip to get gang from the Germany trip back together. Hopefully we can get some more folks to come along as well ( David, Kurt, others).
    when do you plan to go and which areas?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Germany would be centrally (between Russia/China and America on the other side)

Its a great idee even though I am afraid I wont be able to make the long trip to the US at the moment.

Its cool that there are more and more people shooting the S2 are posting here.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Arif,
    like allways I also like this one with its tonality a lot. looks a bit like an old large format image. Great!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Arif,
    Loved the Myanmar shot! The atmospheric haze really makes the shot work adding the sense of depth.
    Al Tanabe

Post Thanks / Like

Arif,
    like allways I also like this one with its tonality a lot. looks a bit like an old large format image. Great!
    Thank you Tom! The 120 is indeed a very versatile lens and I like how it draws.

Quote Originally Posted by atanabe View Post
    Arif,
    Loved the Myanmar shot! The atmospheric haze really makes the shot work adding the sense of depth.
    Thank you very much Al. I am mostly a people photographer so this was new territory. Am very satisfied with what I am getting from the S2.

Thanks again,
    Arif
    www.arifiqball.com

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cloudy day at the local car show which is a blessing with all that shiny chrome.

Here's a couple that brought back memories...

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    Cloudy day at the local car show which is a blessing with all that shiny chrome.

Here's a couple that brought back memories...
    Love the last one David!
    David Farkas
    Leica Store Miami

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by zoomstop View Post

Great series ZoomStop. This one is my favorite - it makes me smile. The processing is great here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Arif, I looked through your Myanmar portfolio and it is very impressive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

David K, I agree with David F I like the last one the best, but all three are a pleasure to view. The cloudy day worked out well. I prefer it to dealing with bright chrome highlights.

Post Thanks / Like

Great stuff everybody.

Tom--Your portraits show why I want the 120 (and you really make your cute daughter shine.

Arif--It must be a dream to travel Myanmar with a S2 and M9. I was there in 1987 (with a Canon AE1 and a zoom lens) on a student backpacker trip (it was about 6 months before the political unrest and one could travel as individual tourists). I still remember Pagan and that I regretted having been there without a tripod. Spectacular scenery and light. (Thanks also for the write up of the workshop.)

Marc--Enjoyed the portrait of the pregnant lady .

Mark--The third car has a lot of atmosphere.

Kurt--Nice reportage style of shooting.

We finally had some good light this weekend. Attached are 3[ examples. The construction shot is about 100 meters away from where the EU Commission is. I should have done it with a tripod thought to get a bit more depths of field. If the weather holds, I'll try to shoot it again on next week.

Georg

Attachment 41174

Attachment 41175

Attachment 41176

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI Georg - the first and last shots are fine . . . but the middle one is lovely!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kurt, I meant to comment on your photos as well and got sidetracked. I enjoyed your photos and you showed the S2 is up to this type of photography. The vivid colors and selective focus make for interesting photos.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Georg,
    very nice shots. Great Bokeh in the second.
    So how do you like the S2 so far? Does it fulfil what you expected it to be?
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Arif, I looked through your Myanmar portfolio and it is very impressive.
    Thanks Mark, I had a great trip and felt really good shooting there. The S2 was great but my D3S did not do so well with the sensor getting too dirty to be unusable after the tenth day.

Thanks for looking,
    Arif

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GMB View Post

Arif--It must be a dream to travel Myanmar with a S2 and M9. I was there in 1987 (with a Canon AE1 and a zoom lens) on a student backpacker trip (it was about 6 months before the political unrest and one could travel as individual tourists). I still remember Pagan and that I regretted having been there without a tripod. Spectacular scenery and light. (Thanks also for the write up of the workshop.)

Georg
    Thanks Georg,

It was really great to have the S2 and the M9 and I could choose what I wanted to use. 1987 must have been great int hat very few people made it out there so you must have seen it very raw. The light and scenery was spectacular and the people amazingly friendly.

Thank you for reading the writeup on the Steve McCurry workshop on my blog. It was unbelievable

Thanks again,
    Arif

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Georg,

So how do you like the S2 so far? Does it fulfil what you expected it to be?

(Jono: you would have given the same answer.)

On a more serious note, I think image quality is unbelievable. The system is quite portable (although I still need to work on my lens changing technique). All basic controlls are quite intutitive (the AF lock is particularly useful). Finally, I think that coming from the M9 (rather than a Canikon) helps because you are trained to do things deliberately rather than relying on the camera to do it for you.

I now need to order a new printer (still hesitating between the Epson 4900 or the Canan 6300 with a slight prefrence for the latter--the Epson 7900 is out because of the clogging issues) because I seriously think that the real potential of the camera, and its advantage over the M9, only shows in prints.

Georg

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dfarkas View Post
    Love the last one David!
    Thanks David... it was my favorite from the day. Not sure I had the WB dialed in accurately but thought the warmer look gave it more of a vintage feel. Here's another couple that came out pretty well.

One thing that doesn't show up in the photos is that my keeper rate has improved substantially in the few months I've had this camera. Also, my expectation that I could use it extensively without a tripod has proven to be the case.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Mark and Georg.

Love looking at the exotic locales you capture so beautifully, Arif.

Georg, thanks for adding to the richness of the thread.

David, I can see your comfort level increasing with the S2 in your shots. They seem to be less planned and more spontaneous which makes them feel more natural. I don't think that it can be emphasized enough how much of pleasure it is to shoot with the S2 ... I'm getting that feeling from your shots.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's one with the 35mm lens ... it arrived on Friday. I thought that I'd see what it looked like as a black and white with Silver Efex2.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's one with the 35mm lens ... it arrived on Friday. I thought that I'd see what it looked like as a black and white with Silver Efex2.
    That's sand on the beach, right? Just kidding.

Nice stuff Kurt. I'm sure you will put the 35 to good use.

David
    David Farkas
    Leica Store Miami

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dfarkas View Post
    That's sand on the beach, right? Just kidding.

David
    So used to seeing snow from Kurt that I had to double check myself.

Kurt, thanks for the kind words. Was wondering if you're shooting your reportage style shots handheld or using a monopod. I gave mine to a friend a while back and have been thinking of replacing it with the one from RRS that Marc recommends.

Post Thanks / Like

Not criticizing, just a question:
    How come this last 35 mm beach shot does not look sharp?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks David and David. It's ice at the bottom of the bluffs along the edges of Lake Michigan. Here we are in March, and we still have a good amount of snow cover that hopefully will go away before the end of the month. Although, we're watching the forecast for another potential snowstorm on Wednesday.

Most of the time, David, I've gotten into the habit with medium format of trying to glance at the shutter speed reading before I push the shutter in aperture priority. That's helped me avoid wanting/needing to use a monopod for pj types of work. I do use a handstrap that seems to make me steadier. It only becomes dicey in low light where I try to brace myself against a wall, pillar or the shoulder of beautiful blonde to steady myself.