Site Sponsors
Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 ... LastLast

Thread: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

Quote Originally Posted by KurtKamka View Post
    Here's one with the 35mm lens ... it arrived on Friday. I thought that I'd see what it looked like as a black and white with Silver Efex2.

Kurt

I too have the 35mm S (had it for a few months now). The lack of distortion in a MF lens this wide is spectacular. I used to use the Zeiss/Hassy 40 CFE/IF lens and thought that was the most spectacular of all these types of lenses but the S35 simply takes the prize. I can't compare it to offerings from Rodenstock and Schneider as I have never used those but most others I have and I would take this one over all. I really look forward to your work with them.

Best

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Peter,

Great question ... no offense taken. I usually like my images a little softer ... so I process them that way. I'll post a crop that show you how sharp it is at 100%.

Kurt

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by atanabe View Post
    Yes, got the 70 in the package. I will test all of my lenses and see what lenses to keep out of the bunch. The 70 focuses nice and close, may hold off on the macro for now.
    Al

You really are a cool dude for getting into the S system. Now for sure we need to get the Germany team back together for a reunion shoot and include guys like David Kipper and Kurt Kamka. That would be a hoot.

Post results my friend

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    Thanks David... it was my favorite from the day. Not sure I had the WB dialed in accurately but thought the warmer look gave it more of a vintage feel. Here's another couple that came out pretty well.

One thing that doesn't show up in the photos is that my keeper rate has improved substantially in the few months I've had this camera. Also, my expectation that I could use it extensively without a tripod has proven to be the case.
    David

Very cool work. What lens (or lenses) were you using for this shoot?

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

PeterV,

Here's a 100% crop of the previous image. I added a little sharpening ... the large ice formations closest to the lake are very rounded by air temperatures that have been below freezing and waves that are just above freezing.

Kurt

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Woody,

After a few months with the S2, I'm beginning to see just how good these S2 lenses are to use. It's becoming harder and harder to use any alternative lenses on the camera. My week with the 120 has showed me that although I may like the way the images from the Hassy 110/2 and the S2 combination look, the precise look of S lenses (and the quick AF) is one that I'm quickly growing very fond of seeing.

Kurt

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for the crop Kurt... and I think I would like it in color better.

Woody, all those car show shots were taken with the 70mm.

Post Thanks / Like

Kurt, thanks for taking the time to answer my silly question. The crop comes much closer to what I've come to expect from the S lenses.
    I can understand your PP preference very well, especially when you have a file as sharp is this to start from...
    Maybe it's some setting in ColorEffects that gives the B/W the look it has on the cr*ppy HP laptop I use now since my MBP is in the shop for repair and my Eizo at the office...
    Thanks again for sharing!

Post Thanks / Like

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GMB View Post
    GMB, lovely shots. Can I ask how you are getting down so low on the first...

Post Thanks / Like

GMB, lovely shots. Can I ask how you are getting down so low on the first...
    Thanks David. I actually had to go up because there was a little path in between the fields that as lower than the ground of the fields. It was with the 70 at 6.8.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

David's car photos prompted me post some photos from our trip to the 2011 Cavallino Classic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A couple more from my south Florida trip.

Storm Rolling into Key West

Egret with a Funky Background
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A few more from my recent pregnancy shoot with the S2.

These were shot through a 7'X7' Scrim Jim silk using a wall of light background with 1400 w/s of strobe lighting. Nothing like paying a King's ransom for the best optics on the planet, and then degrading them ...

Attachment 41251

Attachment 41253

Attachment 41252

I've always wanted to shoot a pregnant woman in a Corbusier lounge chair .... something about the shapes mimicking the bump. These were done using a modified 6' Profoto boom mounted strip light (half covered with black velvet, with about 2' left hanging as an apron to kill the spill on the background) ... I used a second 6' strip light laid on the floor in front of me to provide fill and to light the chrome curves. The client bought both of these as prints.

Attachment 41254

Attachment 41255

I used the S70mm for all the above, but also used the 35 and 180 during the shoot. It was all done tethered. The kit was very responsive and agile ... very easy to get the action shots.

Unfortunately, the best stuff I got during the session, including some with the 35 and 180, are private.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Mark Gowin;296400]David's car photos prompted me post some photos from our trip to the 2011 Cavallino Classic.

..this picture is great.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE Mark Gowin;296404]A couple more from my south Florida trip.

Storm Rolling into Key West

[/QUOTE]
    ..briliant picture.Do your plan to print it out?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Kurt- I really like the bach shot and the B&W tones.
    Marc - really nice- personally I like the one against the light and the other one you posted before (on the wall) best.
    Those old cars....makes me feel my S2 is cheap
    Georg, I like the first one.

Cheers, Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    A few more from my recent pregnancy shoot with the S2.
    These were shot through a 7'X7' Scrim Jim silk using a wall of light background with 1400 w/s of strobe lighting. Nothing like paying a King's ransom for the best optics on the planet, and then degrading them ...

I've always wanted to shoot a pregnant woman in a Corbusier lounge chair .... something about the shapes mimicking the bump. These were done using a modified 6' Profoto boom mounted strip light (half covered with black velvet, with about 2' left hanging as an apron to kill the spill on the background) ... I used a second 6' strip light laid on the floor in front of me to provide fill and to light the chrome curves. The client bought both of these as prints.

I used the S70mm for all the above, but also used the 35 and 180 during the shoot. It was all done tethered. The kit was very responsive and agile ... very easy to get the action shots.

Unfortunately, the best stuff I got during the session, including some with the 35 and 180, are private.

-Marc
    Excellent professional work.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ceh View Post
    Excellent professional work.
    Thanks!

Importantly, I think it further demonstrates how diverse the applications of this camera can be. At home in the mountains or the studio, at exotic destinations or on a neighborhood stroll, etc. In any conditions come rain or come shine. With and without image manipulation. All the different stuff being posted here. Not bad for a young system

Oddly, I've yet to mount it on a tripod except when testing it. Can't wait to apply it to a wedding shoot.

-Marc

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Importantly, I think it further demonstrates how diverse the applications of this camera can be. At home in the mountains or the studio, at exotic destinations or on a neighborhood stroll, etc. In any conditions come rain or come shine. With and without image manipulation. All the different stuff being posted here. Not bad for a young system
    -Marc
    You are too modest Marc... What I think your shots demonstrate is that a talented, experienced photographer with creative ideas and an expert's knowledge of lighting can get superb images. Had to read the part about the black velvet modified strip light twice until I got what you meant. Thanks for sharing that...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You are too modest Marc... What I think your shots demonstrate is that a talented, experienced photographer with creative ideas and an expert's knowledge of lighting can get superb images. Had to read the part about the black velvet modified strip light twice until I got what you meant. Thanks for sharing that...
    Thanks David!

Yeah, it's a lot cheaper than the Profoto Egg Crate modifier for their 6' strip-light ... when the camera gobbles up all the money, you have to improvise

I originally got the idea of the apron from some of the Chimera Lanterns, which come with aprons to control spill.

Here's another lighting improvisation for ya that I used on an image I can't show ... get some of that copper mesh, ball it up and stuff it in the reflector (modeling light off) ... absolutely wonderful effect ... I often use it in the Profoto Ring-light and the skin just looks fabulous.

-Marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Kurt, Mark, CEH...simply lovey shots, all of them and truly illustrates what Mark emphasized in his post...that the S2 has great versitility in a wide variety of applications. The Pentax 645D has a bit of that too (currently testing out that system extensively)....but the current (and recently discontinued) line-up of Pentax "FA" AFs series) unfortunately are quite good but cannot present to the sensor what these Leica lenses are capable of.

Kurt, your street photography with the S2 reminds me greatly of similar work you did with the M9 and 50mm f0.95..which is a standout. CEH, your mountain shots and spectacular and Mark, loved the images at the car show...detail and colors just pop, and I really like the composition of the gentleman with the yellow car! If I left anyone out, it's simply from lack of time.

Marc, lovely work....truly exceptional shots of the expecting mom and couple, and am impressed by the many of the creative poses and imaginitive lighting you employed. Thanks everyone.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

Temperature inversion :-(

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

CEH,

Used to hate inversions which were fairly common in the central valley of California...almost makes one want to wear a mask. Amazing how dull and oppressive it can be.

Is this the same area that had all the snow?

If so what a change.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

..briliant picture.Do your plan to print it out?
    Thank you for the compliments. I doubt I will be printing this anytime soon. I have other prints I want to make before this one. I am happy to have this photo in the bank so to speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A few more from my recent pregnancy shoot with the S2...
    Very impressive set of photos here Marc. I am sure the others you couldn't show are equally as impressive. Clearly this is high caliber professional work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by docmoore View Post
    CEH,

Used to hate inversions which were fairly common in the central valley of California...almost makes one want to wear a mask. Amazing how dull and oppressive it can be.

Is this the same area that had all the snow?

If so what a change.

Bob
    Bob,
    I was waiting for sunset in the area. Some photographers slept overnight on the top of the mountain and in the morning they got totally different scenery. I couldn't stay. I didn't feel fit even during the ascent.
    The photos are from a different location than the previous pictures although the main theme - mountains in the background are the same ..

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for the comment, Dave. I'm very happy carrying around the S2 in most scenarios where I used to carry around the M9. I do miss the 0.95 Noctilux, though. I can get nice separation with the S2 but miss the Noctilux for low-light and inside applications. I just started a new business. So hopefully, if that takes off I'll be able to acquire another Noctilux and M9 at some point in time.

Mark, I don't know how you get so close to wildlife but we're all the better for it.

Marc, really nice work. Beyond the different applications for using the S2, your images demonstrate just how malleable S2 images are to work with for a variety of looks to suit the whims of the photographer.

CEH, there's always a lovely amount of detail in your mountain images.

Kurt

Post Thanks / Like

CEH, there's always a lovely amount of detail in your mountain images.
    Kurt
    Kurt,
    thanks.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gowin View Post
    A couple more from my south Florida trip.
    Egret with a Funky Background
    Great detail and color.
    I just had talked myself into needing just either 120mm or 180mm, deciding for the 120mm (which I really love so far) and allready starting to lust after the 180mm lens for longer reach. This is kind of addictive.

Still I find the S2 to really being all I had hoped for when getting it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    Great detail and color.
    I just had talked myself into needing just either 120mm or 180mm, deciding for the 120mm (which I really love so far) and allready starting to lust after the 180mm lens for longer reach. This is kind of addictive.

Still I find the S2 to really being all I had hoped for when getting it.
    Tom, I had the same struggle deciding between the 120mm and 180mm. It's not as simple of a decision as I thought it would be. In fact, I came to the conclusion that I really wanted both. However, the reality of my depleted toy fund forced me to make a choice. For me, the extra length of the 180mm was more important than the closer focus distance and faster aperture of the 120mm. The other thing nagging at me was that I know I will get the 30 - 90mm zoom as soon as it is available so the 120mm wouldn't be much longer at all. Clearly, I can rationalize just about anything.

I resisted the temptation to post crops of the egret photo. The detail is simply incredible.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gowin View Post
    Tom, I had the same struggle deciding between the 120mm and 180mm. It's not as simple of a decision as I thought it would be. In fact, I came to the conclusion that I really wanted both. However, the reality of my depleted toy fund forced me to make a choice. For me, the extra length of the 180mm was more important than the closer focus distance and faster aperture of the 120mm. The other thing nagging at me was that I know I will get the 30 - 90mm zoom as soon as it is available so the 120mm wouldn't be much longer at all. Clearly, I can rationalize just about anything.

I resisted the temptation to post crops of the egret photo. The detail is simply incredible.
    jaja...I know ;(

First I thought something little longer than 180 would be even nicer. But then I would want AF, and who knows when a 350 really comes, and how big and heavy will it be, also 350 might be even a little too long for my taste.
    The 180 is a lens which is still ok for handholding (at least in good light), and size is still not too big. I am afraid I want one.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Had the pleasure of shooting with Morgan yesterday... she's one of my favorite models. We also did some shots for her Maxim's "hometown hotties" submission but I'll have to wait till she makes selections and get her (and Jack and Guy's) permission to post a few of those. This one's not critically sharp (manual focus) but I think it's good enough for the web.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Many of you saw the shots of my newest grandson, Landon two weeks ago at his birth.

He has now lost the wrinkly look of newborns and is a very handsome fellow if I do say so myself. Looks just like my daughter.

Anyway, here are two shots I like done with the S2 and the Hassy 110 2.0.

Enjoy

Woody

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    Many of you saw the shots of my newest grandson, Landon two weeks ago at his birth.

He has now lost the wrinkly look of newborns and is a very handsome fellow if I do say so myself. Looks just like my daughter.

Enjoy

Woody
    Bravo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bravo!
    Thanks CEH

Woody

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Enjoy

Woody
    Hi Woody,
    very handsom young man!

I hope his voice is not as strong as the one of my small 6 weeks old daughter - I am evaluating different ways of ear protection

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    Hi Woody,
    very handsom young man!

I hope his voice is not as strong as the one of my small 6 weeks old daughter - I am evaluating different ways of ear protection
    He is certainly cute! If my daughter and her 1-week-younger cousin are any guide, Woody and his daughter won't need the ear protection. My observation is that girls have a good strong voice at birth, boys have to develop their vocal abilities before they can inflict any ear damage

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by doug View Post
    He is certainly cute! If my daughter and her 1-week-younger cousin are any guide, Woody and his daughter won't need the ear protection. My observation is that girls have a good strong voice at birth, boys have to develop their vocal abilities before they can inflict any ear damage
    Thanks Tom and Doug

He has a good strong voice but not so loud as to be painful.

Each day he matures and his looks change so. Makes me want to shoot each and every day.

Woody

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Enjoy

Woody
    Better to be the Grandparent now than the Parent ... I still remember zero sleep and poopy diapers

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Better to be the Grandparent now than the Parent ... I still remember zero sleep and poopy diapers

-Marc
    Having had four children of my own, I too am glad to be the Grandparents. I didn't mind the poopy bit too much but the sleep deprivation was horrendous.

Woody

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

S2 and 120mm as P&S ...spring is coming closer - first warmer days.

and with the 35mm:

Post Thanks / Like

Nice shots Tom, particularly #2.

Here are 3 from last weekend. #1&2 with the 70mm and # 3 with the 35 (slight vignetting added in pp).

And here are a couple more of our dog.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Woody and Tom. Never underestimate the power of family 'snaps' as they end up being familial history over time. Lovely shots.

GMB, wonderful colors.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here are a few more photojournalistic shots from the continued labor protests in Madison, Wisconsin yesterday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Woody and Tom. Never underestimate the power of family 'snaps' as they end up being familial history over time. Lovely shots.

GMB, wonderful colors.
    Kurt

I totally agree with you on this. Landscapes do not change very much over the years and in some cases over the eons! But the children don't remain children for very long so capturing them during their lifetimes is truly an art. And then they get the prints and show them to their children and (hopefully) continue the tradition.

Woody

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I love candid family shots. Been going through some old photos of the kids and it makes me nostalgic for the good old days when they listened to me

Kurt, I think this last batch you've posted is exceptional. I think you raised the bar for yourself with these. The shot of the Native American and the flag is fantastic...

Post Thanks / Like

Here are a few more photojournalistic shots from the continued labor protests in Madison, Wisconsin yesterday.
    I keep watching these photos from Wisconsin's protests to see if I can spot my brother or nephew. Here's my nephew's view of the protests:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/os_...26-II.jpg.html

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Georg,
    I much like the first one, and the one with your wet dog.
    Kurt,
    looking at your images one really feels like being there on location.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've been away the last few days and only been able to check in using my iPad from time to time. There have been some really good photos posted in that time.

David, I really enjoyed your photo of Morgan and look forward to you sharing more of her.

Woody, the photos of your grandson are memorable. Your pride shows through your photos.

Tom, as I have said before, I love to see photos of your daughter because she seems so happy it makes me smile. I particularly liked the photo of your wife and baby in this series.

Georg, the first photo is my favorite due to its simplicity and composition.

Kurt, this set of photos is your strongest yet of the Madison, Wisconsin protests.