The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

D&A

Dave, I have been wanting to try a long lens on my S2 for a long time. I have kept my Canon system with 500mm because I don't want to give up the long telephoto. Now that adapters are available for the S2 there are several options for longish telephoto. Al Tanabe is loaning me his Hasselblad 350mm CF to try when I'm down in South Florida in a couple weeks. I have been looking around at both Hasselblad and Pentax 67 telephotos and there's seveal options all the way up to the Pentax 800mm beast. My biggest problem is that I don't have history or knowledge of older manual focus / manual aperture MF lenses. Al has been trying to teach me what to look for.
Mark, Interesting! I'm quite familiar with the Pentax 67 system, having used much of it years ago, including some of their long lenses. Of course that was with film and the image related issues that might crop up with their use while interfacing with a digital sensor, I can't say. Some of their glass although good, wasn't ED/APO (depends on the lens) and even those (the non ED glass) would give up something to the more exotic glass of that time or even today. So a lens by lens trial on the S2 is possibly the only way to know. The Pentax ED long lenses were supposedly exceptional in their performance.

I hadn't even considered the Pentax 67 glass on the S2 when I posed my question, since I didn't think there was a S2 adapter for Pentax 67.

I assume (haven't looked at the dimensions), that Penatx 645 glass is out of the question, due to image circle issues when used on the S2?? Reason being is there was some good long glass for Penatx 645, especially their high end 400mm ED glass. Again the Pentax 645 system comprised of older non ED long lenses (originating from the Takumar series) as well as some modern, more recent ED long lenses.

I've heard some good things about the Hassy 350mm CF but thats all I know about it.

Kurt, couldn't agree more since there are so many good R series glass to choose from. In addition (and on a seperate note) I'm surprised the R system was dropped, rather than updated.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

Lloyd

How do you post 150 megabyte tiff files? What size should I reduce to post to this thread?

Thanks,
Scott
Most of what gets posted here is reduced to 72 or 96 dpi jpg files. The forum convention is 900dpi on the long side, but we do get a few longer than that.

fotografz

It doesn't matter if you use 72, 96, 240 or 300 ppi resolution as long as the image is 900 pixels wide or less.

Paratom

Guys-do you have the P Version of the S2?
And do you think the platinum service is worth it for non Pros? (The idea to get a new camera in first 3 month if anything is wrong sounds interesting when buying such a new product).

ceh

-12 degrees Celsius,
Austrian Tyrolia Alps - 5 days, a single battery charge, downhill skiing, backpack kata DT 123, a lens 2.5 / 70...

David K

Workshop Member
Guys-do you have the P Version of the S2?
And do you think the platinum service is worth it for non Pros? (The idea to get a new camera in first 3 month if anything is wrong sounds interesting when buying such a new product).
I considered both and just went with the best deal... but I bought a used kit from my dealer. If I bought a new non-P and it went south in the first 90 days I'd be looking for a new one from my dealer with or without the platinum service :) I think a number of the P version cameras were the original demo units bought by dealers and they are finding their way into customers hands. I'd be cautious about buying a demo unit that had seen extensive rental use. The price differential between the P and non-P cameras is significant. It's a personal decision exactly how much more it is worth. Anyway, nothing ever goes wrong with Leica products so what are you worried about :)

David K

Workshop Member
Thanks, ceh... I am enjoying your shots of the frozen mountains as well. We don't even have real hills down here in Florida. The highest elevation in the state is 345 feet and I've never seen anything remotely that high down here.

This shot was taken by my photographer buddy, Andre Rowe with my S2. He's a much more accomplished photographer than I and has his own distinctive processing style which is targeted to the use of the photo for the model's portfolio. This is the same young lady that was taking cell phone pics from poolside that I posted earlier.

ceh

David K,
Lady is a bit difficult pose..
...but it's imaginative :)
Other light

D&A

What I love about the many varied posted S2 images here is their wide variety of subjects...from landscapes to fashion to reportage. It's not that it isn't/wasn't possible with other MF systems, but that the S2 as a DMF, appeals to a wide range of users and applications and seems based on feedback, that it does extremely well with most all of these applications...not only in imagery but also in its versitility in handling.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

ceh

What I love about the many varied posted S2 images here is their wide variety of subjects...from landscapes to fashion to reportage. It's not that it isn't/wasn't possible with other MF systems, but that the S2 as a DMF, appeals to a wide range of users and applications and seems based on feedback, that it does extremely well with most all of these applications...noit only in imagery but also in its versitility in handling.

Dave (D&A)
I absolutely agree