The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
The first hockey pucks dropped on frozen lakes, ponds and streams. Kids played after school and adults on weekends in conditions much different than those found in well-lit, temperature-controlled rinks that now dot the upper Midwest and Northeast of the US and most of Canada. When Mother Nature shakes her fist and the cold of winter returns, both traditionalists and non-traditionalists can be found participating in local outdoor pond hockey tournaments that take place on winter weekends.

All images are with the Leica S2 and 180mm Tele-Elmar.

Good stuff everyone. Kurt and CEH are making the most out of winter and David is making us all jealous with the swimsuit photos.

Kurt, are you manually focusing the action hockey photos?

David K

Workshop Member
Doing a little shooting with the S2 down at the one of the local yacht clubs and some fellow asked me what kind of camera I was using. Told him a Leica and he said he never heard that name and wanted to know if it was as good as a Canon. I told him "almost" :)

I find the 35mm has really great DOF stopped down... I like it a lot. These sailboats sure look complicated to a stinkpot guy like me.

D&A

Kurt, great hockey shots...a sport I played a lot of during high school school/college days and beyond. Did you scream out "hooking" when the 4th shot was taken? :) Playing outdoors on the frozen pond is the next best thing to last weeks "Winter Classic" in Pittsburgh.

One question Kurt and it may be an iPad thing since I am currently viewing images on it for the moment. In you 2nd shot, those plastic pane doors in the background on the left side of the image have what appears to be heat distortion of some kind..like hot fumes. This wasn't a consequence of something that caused distortion with the S2 or S2 180mm lens itself? I wouldn't think so?

Love the atmosphere in the 1st & 3rd shots, although they all have something to offer.

David it was jarring to go from the frozen tundra of Kurt's shots to yours, but love the depth of color that was captured in the small details, against the expansive white boats, masts etc....yet still retaining good shadow detail/dynamic range in the buildings on the left side. The expansive depth of field certainly adds to this image!

As for CEH's shots, especially the chair lift one....I keep returning to it always finding something new to focus on in terms of how the image was rendered by the S2. That winning lottery ticket better find it's way to me pretty soon...LOL!

Dave(D&A)

Last edited:
Dave, that waviness you refer to in Kurt's second photo looks like heat related atmospheric disturbance. See the guy trying to warm his skates by the fire.

doug

Stunning images CEH! What a beautiful place. I really enjoy your images both with the S2 and the M. Great eye!
I have to agree. The compositions and the location are very appealing.

ceh... love this last shot and what it says for the portability of the S2.
+1 - and Kurt's hockey photos equally demonstrate the S2's handling advantage.

D&A

LOL Mark..I did mention spome type of heat distortion in my original post "but", when viewing on the ipod, I had the image stretched (cropped) at the midpoint of the iceskates. This meant I cut off the fire, so I didn't know where the ditortion was coming from. and my eye was focused on the distorted panes in the background. Teaches me to wait till I get back to a regular computer (as I am now), before making comments :) Thanks though for mentioning this!

CEH, even at web resolution, the detail in your image(s) is quite remarkable and you have a wonderul eye for landscapes. Nicely done!

Dave (D&A)

ceh

Gentlemen,
thank you for your kind words.
S2 is a great camera.:)
Image of the Austrian ski resort Elmau.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Mark, the hockey shots are with the AFc setting. I wanted to test it out to see how quickly the camera was able to focus for action type of shots.

Dave, the others were correct, it is smoke and heat rising from the fire.

Here are a few from earlier today while walking around in a snowstorm with the Zeiss 110/2.

Last edited:

Paratom

Kurt,
great images with the 110.
How is your keeper rate with manual focus?

One more question: if you use the S2 in your personal environment - do many people ask you about the camera? And if friends ask you about the price-what do you tell them?

...One more question: if you use the S2 in your personal environment - do many people ask you about the camera? And if friends ask you about the price-what do you tell them?
In my experience with the S2, I do get questioned from time to time about the S2. Most of the time it is from other photographers, the majority of which have never heard of Leica. They are curious about it probably because it is not a brand they recognize and they almost always ask me how much it cost. I avoid the question and try to provide a generic response such as "its a pretty good camera" and shift the conversation to their camera or something else. I don't advertise the cost of the camera because I don't want to become a target (in case the wrong person overhears the conversation) and I don't want to come across as a bragger or make people feel I think I am better than them (I'm not).

There have only been one or two photographers who have recognized the S2 for what it is. They are very inquisitive and, I if conditions permit, I hand over the camera to them to check out.

doug

There have only been one or two photographers who have recognized the S2 for what it is.
About a year ago I met a photographer who was not familiar with the DMR and when he saw the size of the camera and the name on the front his eyes popped out, he stared for several minutes from several angles, then finally asked if I was using an S2.

Paratom

I have some slight concerns that if I used a camera with such price and anybody of friends and family would find out the price they think I have too much money or like I was spending money in a non responsible behaviour (maybe they are not that wrong here)
With the M-lenses nonbody expects the price.
With a MF camera you can allways tell the price of the camera (which is not so high) and not tell the back is extra ;)
I just wondered if other hobbiest also have this "problem" (not a big thing- in the end I know I worked for the money and its my own decission and we still have enough food on the table - and too much food isnt healthy anyways)

David K

Workshop Member
And if friends ask you about the price-what do you tell them?
This is really no different for any expensive item, e.g. watch, jewelry, automobile. For those friends of mine who are well to do it's not a problem for me... they all have their own priorities. I can tease them about the cost of their car, or house, or how much they spent on their last vacation. For those to whom such an expenditure is hard to fathom because of their limited means I try to be sensitive to their situation and avoid a direct answer.

GMB

This is really no different for any expensive item, e.g. watch, jewelry, automobile. For those friends of mine who are well to do it's not a problem for me... they all have their own priorities. I can tease them about the cost of their car, or house, or how much they spent on their last vacation. For those to whom such an expenditure is hard to fathom because of their limited means I try to be sensitive to their situation and avoid a direct answer.
+1

People in Europe are also a bit more discrete about these issues than people in the US and unlikely to ask you directly how much it costs. And if they ask, you can allways say "expensive but worth it." Funny enough, it most likely socially more acceptable to by a Porsche for 100k Euros than a camera and a few lenses for 40k simply because most people cannot imagine why on earth one would spend that amount of money on a camera.

Anyway, it's my money and my life and unless I would put the well being of my family in jeopardy, I see no reason not to do it.

BTW, as far as the M lenses are concerned, I am telling everyone that I only rented them because they all appreciated in value. In fact, the increased value of my lenses compensates for the loss in value of the M8 and M8.2. And assuming I would have invested the money in stock at the beginning of 2007, I did way better....