Site Sponsors
Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 ... LastLast
Results 851 to 900 of 2464

Thread: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

  1. #851
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Hollywood, FL
    Posts
    580
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Great stuff guys! I've been off the grid for a few days and just checked in.

    Georg, I love these landscapes. Very clean and pure. Love the green and blues. My favorites are the first two.

    Woody, the first weeks are amazing as they change so much, so fast. It's a great time to record and you're doing an excellent job.

    Kurt, I agree with the other comments. These shots of the protests are fantastic. The color and separation are just incredible. They just pop off the screen. If I crank the AC way, way down I might feel like I was actually there. Although, right now I'm in Rochester, NY and it's pretty cold and snowing, so I guess I could just bring the laptop outside...

    Tom, your daughter is very cute. Really like how you capture her playfulness. Also, as Spring approaches, it seems like you are getting that really nice light too.

    CEH, your mountain vistas continue to impress and inspire. I am in awe of the beautiful serenity and that you manage to continue to capture it so well.

    Mark, I wish I made it up to the Cavalino Classic with you guys. Even with the overcast weather, you got some real winners. I know Josh is drooling over that white 458 Italia.

    Marc, nice studio work. Perfectly lit and very clean. I like hearing how the camera works very well in high-pressure situations from people who really push it like you do.

    David K, one of these days, I will have to come shooting with you and Andre, just like old times. Really nice shot of Morgan. Great composition and lighting.

    Keep up the good work everyone. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

    David
    David Farkas
    Leica Store Miami

  2. #852
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,395
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by dfarkas View Post
    Great stuff guys! I've been off the grid for a few days and just checked in.

    Georg, I love these landscapes. Very clean and pure. Love the green and blues. My favorites are the first two.

    Woody, the first weeks are amazing as they change so much, so fast. It's a great time to record and you're doing an excellent job.

    Kurt, I agree with the other comments. These shots of the protests are fantastic. The color and separation are just incredible. They just pop off the screen. If I crank the AC way, way down I might feel like I was actually there. Although, right now I'm in Rochester, NY and it's pretty cold and snowing, so I guess I could just bring the laptop outside...

    Tom, your daughter is very cute. Really like how you capture her playfulness. Also, as Spring approaches, it seems like you are getting that really nice light too.

    CEH, your mountain vistas continue to impress and inspire. I am in awe of the beautiful serenity and that you manage to continue to capture it so well.

    Mark, I wish I made it up to the Cavalino Classic with you guys. Even with the overcast weather, you got some real winners. I know Josh is drooling over that white 458 Italia.

    Marc, nice studio work. Perfectly lit and very clean. I like hearing how the camera works very well in high-pressure situations from people who really push it like you do.

    David K, one of these days, I will have to come shooting with you and Andre, just like old times. Really nice shot of Morgan. Great composition and lighting.

    Keep up the good work everyone. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

    David
    Thanks David, I was very pleased with the whole tethered operation ... never once had to reboot or anything (like has happened in past with other finicky FW systems).

    At first I was put off by the proprietary USB connection at the camera that precluded use of any other easily available USB cord , but quickly saw the wisdom of it compared to jinky connections on MFD backs and 35mm DSLR cameras ... which has always been an issue while tethered. I'll just get a spare S2 tether cord as back-up.

    What would be interesting is trying a powered USB hub to see if the tethered length can be increased for larger studio environments and bigger sets. Another 10' to 15' perhaps?

    Speaking of studio work, my S120 Macro is supposed to arrive here today ... and the first thing I'm going to do is shoot my typical automotive fabric assignment and compare it to recent ones with the same fabric done with the HC120 Marco on a H2F CF/39 Multi-Shot AND the big gun H4D/60 ... I want to see just how much the Leica optics brings to the party

    -Marc

  3. #853
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Hollywood, FL
    Posts
    580
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Thanks David, I was very pleased with the whole tethered operation ... never once had to reboot or anything (like has happened in past with other finicky FW systems).

    At first I was put off by the proprietary USB connection at the camera that precluded use of any other easily available USB cord , but quickly saw the wisdom of it compared to jinky connections on MFD backs and 35mm DSLR cameras ... which has always been an issue while tethered. I'll just get a spare S2 tether cord as back-up.

    What would be interesting is trying a powered USB hub to see if the tethered length can be increased for larger studio environments and bigger sets. Another 10' to 15' perhaps?

    Speaking of studio work, my S120 Macro is supposed to arrive here today ... and the first thing I'm going to do is shoot my typical automotive fabric assignment and compare it to recent ones with the same fabric done with the HC120 Marco on a H2F CF/39 Multi-Shot AND the big gun H4D/60 ... I want to see just how much the Leica optics brings to the party

    -Marc
    Marc,

    We use a 16' active USB extension cord and it works great. We put a little gaff tape around the connection between the extension cord's female socket and the male end of Leica cord as there is no lock on standard USB. We've used this setup on quite a few professional shoots and it worked perfectly.

    http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-U02...0112155&sr=8-1

    They make them longer, too.

    Very true about the reliability. Digital techs have been extremely impressed with the robustness of the S2's tethering. They are amazed that you can connect/disconnect without power cycling the camera and/or computer. Really nice when technology just works the way its supposed to.

    A proprietary cable is a small price to pay for not having a loose FW cord bring the shoot to a screeching halt while everyone waits for the tech to reboot the Mac Pro (the fastest computers seem to take the longest to boot, too). Not a happy scenario, but a common one.

    David
    David Farkas
    Leica Store Miami

  4. #854
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,395
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    S120 Macro showed up today ... first shots with it ... quick shots (various f/stops of the old Kodak pocket camera including @ f/2.5)... varying the lighting and color temp a bit : Some of this selective focus stuff kinda looks like it was shot with T/S :

    Attachment 41477

    Attachment 41478

    Attachment 41474

    Attachment 41475

    Attachment 41476

    Dare I say it? At first blush, I believe the legendary Zeiss Contax 120/4 Macro has finally met its match

    -Marc

  5. #855
    Subscriber Member KurtKamka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,232
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    26

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Ssshhh, Marc! Don't post any of the good stuff until I can find a copy.

    On a serious note, does anyone know where I can currently find a copy of the lens? I have my name on a list ... but it might be awhile before I make it to the top.

  6. #856
    Subscriber Member KurtKamka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,232
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    26

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Thanks for the comments, Mark and David.

    Doug, it's very likely that I saw your nephew. There were quite a few photographers positioned all around the capitol.

  7. #857
    Senior Member GMB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Heart of Europe
    Posts
    385
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    All--Thanks for the comments on my shots. There is some really good stuff from everyone here.

    Kurt, Your street shots are very inspiring. I assume some of them are shot with the 180 which also produced Mark's awesome bird shot. So that is very tempting and I was almost thinking of canceling my order for the 120 (which I have no idea when it will show up) and pick up the 180 that is sitting in my dealer's shop. But them Marc posts this...


    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post



    -Marc
    ...and I knew that I could not possibly not get this lens. So may be both???

    Anyway, I am still experimenting and learning with the beast. Here is a shot of my favorite model, wife, best friend, and patient victim and supporter of my photographic endeavors . Shot with the 70 handheld, not cropped (I would crop it for a print).

    Georg


  8. #858
    Subscriber Member KurtKamka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,232
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    26

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Hi Georg,

    Yes indeed, several of the shots were with the 180. It provides an excellent amount of separation between subject and background. The 70mm shot you just posted shows off that lens very well. It's interesting how that shot has a DMR type of look to it.

    Kurt

  9. #859
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Jupiter, Fla.
    Posts
    1,967
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Marc, thanks a lot... I think you just cost me a bundle. Those are seriously beautiful shots.

  10. #860
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    860
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    76

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    You are killing me Marc. I have shot the 120mm before and worked very hard to forget how good it is. Now you come along and rub my face in it. The roll off from in focus to out of focus area is outstanding - not to mention how sharp it is wide open at f2.5.

    This is cruel and unusual treatment.

  11. #861
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,395
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Guys, I am serious ... my greatest regret when leaving the Contax 645 system was the loss of the Zeiss 120 Macro ... and this lens is better right off the bat. Not only is the focus fall off superb, the front Bokeh is absolutely excellent ... not many lenses can pull that off. This is a world class leading optic IMHO.

    Now where the heck is the 1.4XAPO for the 180, and the S24mm ... oh wait ... I have no money left ... well, just enough to buy the skid pallet of Raman Noodles I'll be eating for the next year.

    We must suffer for our art ...

    -Marc

  12. #862
    Senior Member atanabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Napa Valley, CA
    Posts
    432
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    MUST NOT LOOK . . . MUST NOT LOOK!

    The good news is that my Hassey to S adapter will be here in a couple of days. This will at least give a chance to see how they all perform and to contemplate selling a portion of my liver. I'll do a comparison of the CFV vs the S2 using the same lenses - should be interesting not for absolute resolution but character of the image.

    Great images Marc, the 120 looks great. Need to check on how much I can get for my left lower lobe of my liver. Right kidney gone, so this should balance the old body out.
    Al Tanabe

  13. #863
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,574
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gowin View Post
    You are killing me Marc. I have shot the 120mm before and worked very hard to forget how good it is. Now you come along and rub my face in it. The roll off from in focus to out of focus area is outstanding - not to mention how sharp it is wide open at f2.5.

    This is cruel and unusual treatment.
    Forget it- I tried to resist the 180 in favor for the 120 but looking at the images here reminds you all the time about what lens you would also want.

    How can we get freedom from that? Get all 4 available lenses but what when the next lenses come ??
    Last edited by Paratom; 15th March 2011 at 03:28.

  14. #864
    Senior Member GMB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Heart of Europe
    Posts
    385
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    Forget it- I tried to resist the 180 in favor for the 120 but looking at the images here reminds you all the time about what lens you would also want.

    How can we get freedom from that? Get all 4 available lenses but what when the next lenses come ??
    I reached the same conclusion on my way to the office this morning.

  15. #865
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,535
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by dfarkas View Post
    Marc,

    We use a 16' active USB extension cord and it works great. We put a little gaff tape around the connection between the extension cord's female socket and the male end of Leica cord as there is no lock on standard USB. We've used this setup on quite a few professional shoots and it worked perfectly.

    http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-U02...0112155&sr=8-1

    They make them longer, too.

    Very true about the reliability. Digital techs have been extremely impressed with the robustness of the S2's tethering. They are amazed that you can connect/disconnect without power cycling the camera and/or computer. Really nice when technology just works the way its supposed to.

    A proprietary cable is a small price to pay for not having a loose FW cord bring the shoot to a screeching halt while everyone waits for the tech to reboot the Mac Pro (the fastest computers seem to take the longest to boot, too). Not a happy scenario, but a common one.

    David
    Wrong so I would be very careful ONCE again what you are referring too. Phase this does not happen, cord comes out there is no reason to reboot C1 it will recognize the Firewire and you can continue on. Also I am not in favor of a proprietary cord which means i would have to buy 3 of them at a fairly good cost over standard Firewire cables. You can reboot any Mac BTW in 20 seconds with even a second rate SSD drive.

    Once again as a dealer here get your facts straight before speaking of other systems.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  16. #866
    HCHeyerdahl
    Guest

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Hi,
    I have been following this thread for some time. Many lovely shots and obviously I am tempted to jump from FF DSLR to MF S2. However, I am a bit conserned by the limited DOF. Is there any way to view EXIF data like iso and aperture for the shots posted?

    Chris

  17. #867
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    860
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    76

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    I use a plugin called efixeverywhere for safari and firefox browsers on a Mac. It works great. All you have to do is place you cursor over an image then press and hold the control key and a window will pop up with the efix data.

  18. #868
    Senior Member ceh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Slovakia
    Posts
    1,506
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots



  19. #869
    Subscriber Member KurtKamka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,232
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    26

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Lovely composition and black and white conversion, CEH.

  20. #870
    HCHeyerdahl
    Guest

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gowin View Post
    I use a plugin called efixeverywhere for safari and firefox browsers on a Mac. It works great. All you have to do is place you cursor over an image then press and hold the control key and a window will pop up with the efix data.
    Thanks!
    Never knew such plugins existed. I am on win7, but a quick google search lead me to Opanda and it works very nice.

    Chris

  21. #871
    Senior Member GMB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Heart of Europe
    Posts
    385
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gowin View Post
    You are killing me Marc. I have shot the 120mm before and worked very hard to forget how good it is. Now you come along and rub my face in it. The roll off from in focus to out of focus area is outstanding - not to mention how sharp it is wide open at f2.5.

    This is cruel and unusual treatment.
    Mark--Live is all about priorities. In anticipation of new lens purchases, I just found new premises. Still need to convince my better half of the advantage of the central location.


  22. #872
    Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,511
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by GMB View Post
    Mark--Live is all about priorities. In anticipation of new lens purchases, I just found new premises. Still need to convince my better half of the advantage of the central location.

    May need a bit of lighting upgrades....


    Bob

  23. #873
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    860
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    76

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by GMB View Post
    Mark--Live is all about priorities. In anticipation of new lens purchases, I just found new premises. Still need to convince my better half of the advantage of the central location.
    Good one Georg. The sad thing is its not that far from the truth when it comes to buying Leica gear.

  24. #874
    Senior Member ceh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Slovakia
    Posts
    1,506
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    .....................

  25. #875
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Rye, NY
    Posts
    113
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Guys, I am serious ... my greatest regret when leaving the Contax 645 system was the loss of the Zeiss 120 Macro ... and this lens is better right off the bat. Not only is the focus fall off superb, the front Bokeh is absolutely excellent ... not many lenses can pull that off. This is a world class leading optic IMHO.

    Now where the heck is the 1.4XAPO for the 180, and the S24mm ... oh wait ... I have no money left ... well, just enough to buy the skid pallet of Raman Noodles I'll be eating for the next year.

    We must suffer for our art ...

    -Marc
    I think the leica 120 is the best macro I have used..there is no possible way that marc's flower shot could have been made with another lens..tell if I am wrong here. I think this is the best sample I have seen using the macro capabilities combined with the wide aperture; incredible intense color balanced with the softness of focus falloff.. you nailed this one for sure.
    I still would love to see an hts1.5 type solution for the camera..would be pretty cool on a 24mm and for me a 100mm f2 would work well here too.

  26. #876
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Jupiter, Fla.
    Posts
    1,967
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by paulmoore View Post
    I think the leica 120 is the best macro I have used..there is no possible way that marc's flower shot could have been made with another lens..tell if I am wrong here. :
    No doubt it's a stellar lens... but not sure there aren't equally good one's around. My Rollei glass held it's own head to head with the Leica lenses. I may have something that will compare favorably with the Leica 120 makro in a few weeks and we shall see...

  27. #877
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,395
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    No doubt it's a stellar lens... but not sure there aren't equally good one's around. My Rollei glass held its own head to head with the Leica lenses. I may have something that will compare favorably with the Leica 120 makro in a few weeks and we shall see...
    "Equally good" is a relative term don't you think David?

    Lots of great Rollei glass, that is for sure (my buddy has a collection of them). Same for some of the Zeiss optics like the 110/2, 250/350SA. However, Personally I'm totally over using dumb adapters, manual stop-down and being confined manual focus . Been there done that with Mamiya/Aptus/Zeiss, and HasselbladHD/Zeiss V.

    I bought this camera primarily for AF and handling, with every confidence that the lenses would be stellar system wide. A system I specifically like because it is spontaneous and quick ... with pretty fast max apertures. BTW, Rollei makes an AF MFD Macro with a 2.5 max aperture?

    When the CS version arrives, I'm on the list to move to it ... which will make the S120 even more diverse and unique. All we need now are either coupled extension tubes or an APO Elpro.

    -Marc

  28. #878
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,395
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by paulmoore View Post
    I think the leica 120 is the best macro I have used..there is no possible way that marc's flower shot could have been made with another lens..tell if I am wrong here. I think this is the best sample I have seen using the macro capabilities combined with the wide aperture; incredible intense color balanced with the softness of focus falloff.. you nailed this one for sure.
    I still would love to see an hts1.5 type solution for the camera..would be pretty cool on a 24mm and for me a 100mm f2 would work well here too.
    That shot was "nailed" hand-held using AF BTW.

    Paul, another thing I took note of was that not only does this lens offer super high performance wide-open at a best in class aperture ... it appears to also do so stopped all the way down. In theory, the de-fraction limit should be around f/11 (maybe f/16?) for a sensor this size and pixel density (according to the Cambridge site calculator) ... but it is darned hard to detect at f/22. APO and Leica's version of micro contrast at work here?

    (I'm not a tech expert by any means ... I just go with what I see in the images so I may be off base here).


    -Marc

  29. #879
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Jupiter, Fla.
    Posts
    1,967
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Personally I'm totally over using dumb adapters, manual stop-down and being confined manual focus . Been there done that with Mamiya/Aptus/Zeiss, and HasselbladHD/Zeiss V.

    I bought this camera primarily for AF and handling, with every confidence that the lenses would be stellar system wide. A system I specifically like because it is spontaneous and quick ... with pretty fast max apertures. BTW, Rollei makes an AF MFD Macro with a 2.5 max aperture?

    -Marc
    My preference would be to avoid the adapter route too but at $7k a lens and limited availability it's something I may have to live with for a while. Accurate AF is a very big plus for me as I still struggle with MF on some of my modeling shoots especially with low camera angles and low light/back light situations. Truth be told, a Hassy with WLF and TF might be a better solution for those situations but after shooting the S2 for a while I'm just not going back to that form factor. And no... there is nothing in the Rollei macro lineup with a 2.5 max aperture. But since I still have all my Rollei glass (and nothing to shoot it with) it can't hurt to experiment.

  30. #880
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Jupiter, Fla.
    Posts
    1,967
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by ceh View Post
    .....................
    I like the mood you've captured here...brings back fond memories of past ski trips.

  31. #881
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Rye, NY
    Posts
    113
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    No doubt it's a stellar lens... but not sure there aren't equally good one's around. My Rollei glass held it's own head to head with the Leica lenses. I may have something that will compare favorably with the Leica 120 makro in a few weeks and we shall see...
    I have the rollei lenses.. yes they are good.. the 90mm macro is really nice.. but it is 90 f4 and manual .. as marc has pointed out.. there is nothing in the rollei line that meets the 120mm leica..period.

  32. #882
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Jupiter, Fla.
    Posts
    1,967
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    If you can't be with the one you love... love the one you're with

  33. #883
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,395
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    My preference would be to avoid the adapter route too but at $7k a lens and limited availability it's something I may have to live with for a while. Accurate AF is a very big plus for me as I still struggle with MF on some of my modeling shoots especially with low camera angles and low light/back light situations. Truth be told, a Hassy with WLF and TF might be a better solution for those situations but after shooting the S2 for a while I'm just not going back to that form factor. And no... there is nothing in the Rollei macro lineup with a 2.5 max aperture. But since I still have all my Rollei glass (and nothing to shoot it with) it can't hurt to experiment.
    Understood, and I most certainly grasp the thinking having done the same many times myself.

    -Marc

  34. #884
    Subscriber gogopix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,383
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Understood, and I most certainly grasp the thinking having done the same many times myself.

    -Marc
    Dear Marc and David

    I am keenly interested in your perspective S2 vs MFDB, and your comments on the use of lenses and adapters is following mine. I have many great Hassey lenses, and of course have the C645 lenses, AF. I have been using the 350/4 AF for birding and it just has trouble finding the exact image. AF cant read minds
    That said a lot of shots are OOF or missed with MF. Thus I was interested in how the hassey adapter on the S2 worked. Does it confirm focus? For me that's almost as good.

    My probelm is being 68, bum shoulders (now a broken wrist, skiing!) and although I have in to upgrade from P65+ to IQ180, I may switch to S2. I am sure there will be a ready market for a discount on an IQ180 with warranty 3yrs, and there are still a lot of C645 to absorb my stuff (I bought years ago, so I dont need to squeeze ever penny out!)

    I would be left with M9, S2 and hassey lenses. A lot for just a serious amateur.

    Marc have you completely given up on adapters? if you had the 350 SA wouldn't you want to try on the S2? (or can it be used on the H system?

    regards
    Victor

  35. #885
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,395
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by gogopix View Post
    Dear Marc and David

    I am keenly interested in your perspective S2 vs MFDB, and your comments on the use of lenses and adapters is following mine. I have many great Hassey lenses, and of course have the C645 lenses, AF. I have been using the 350/4 AF for birding and it just has trouble finding the exact image. AF cant read minds
    That said a lot of shots are OOF or missed with MF. Thus I was interested in how the hassey adapter on the S2 worked. Does it confirm focus? For me that's almost as good.

    My probelm is being 68, bum shoulders (now a broken wrist, skiing!) and although I have in to upgrade from P65+ to IQ180, I may switch to S2. I am sure there will be a ready market for a discount on an IQ180 with warranty 3yrs, and there are still a lot of C645 to absorb my stuff (I bought years ago, so I dont need to squeeze ever penny out!)

    I would be left with M9, S2 and hassey lenses. A lot for just a serious amateur.

    Marc have you completely given up on adapters? if you had the 350 SA wouldn't you want to try on the S2? (or can it be used on the H system?

    regards
    Victor
    Victor, I think it has everything to do with how and what you shoot.

    Like you, I used a Contax 645 with both the Zeiss AF lenses including the 350/4 APO ... and a NAM-1 adapter to use my relatively vast collection of V lenses both CF and FE. It became more and more apparent that outside the studio, I wanted/needed AF for my style of more spontaneous shooting. When it became crystal clear that the C645 would never improve the AF, I moved on to the H system ... which has continually improved the AF system, and along with it my In Focus hit ratio ... culminating with True Focus and the H4D/60 where DOF and focus accuracy is even more critical. IMO, minor differences in optical qualities pales in comparison to too many OOF shots.

    Then along comes the S2 with unquestioned optics (IMO), and AF. When I tested the S2 before buying into the system, almost all the time was spent testing the AF and form factor for my style of shooting.

    I also just "LOVE" getting older ... where the sins of youth visit themselves on you with a vengeance I have a bone-on-bone arthritic sports knee that should have been totally replaced a decade ago, and I broke a couple of toes in the Studio a couple of weeks ago ... good thing I don't have a wedding to shoot soon Plus when younger, I severely damaged my right eye, and it is also getting worse faster than my left eye ... making AF more important. I can focus the M even with the 0.95 because I use mags ... plus rangefinders are easier to manually focus anyway.

    So, lugging around a really big system is something I'm less inclined to do now ... but I'm addicted to file quality.

    The only adapter I now own is one to use Leica M lenses on a Sony NEX ... and I don't consider it a serious item, more for fun. I truly am not interested in any adapted anything and sold all of my V system and even the CF adapters to use V lenses on the H camera ... even though the H had focus confirmation with manual V lenses. It was all just too slow.

    Sure I'd like to "try" a 350SA on a S2 ... but it is not something I'd ever buy ... I just do not use longer lenses very much ... actually hardly at all. I'd like to see a 1/4X APO extender for the Leica S180 and that would be all I'd ever need.

    So, it is all predicated around what and how you shoot.

    -Marc

    Me in my "Big Zeiss Lens" days ...

    Attachment 41732

  36. #886
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,574
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    One thin I have to add in the MF vs AF discussion is the center AF point "problem" when using shallow DOF (which I like to use).
    As many know here I take many images of my kids and want the focus on the eyes. Focus and recompose can be a problem here, not only because it might slightly change the distance caused by the different angle when recomposing, but also because after recomposing until waiting for the right moment (expression of the face for example) the subject (or myself) might have slightly moved.
    So I realized that I often end up and keep the center AF point of the S2 on the eye, which means I have to crop afterwards to get the framing I want.
    This means I loose some resolution.
    True focus (like the Hassy) might help for some part but not solve the total problem.
    Various AF points would be really a serious advantage for me (I used it all the time with Nikon).
    In good light the nice viewfinder of the S2 helps however and even though my eyes are not as good as the AF in most case it helps to judge if the focus is still fine and I can manually correct if needed.
    Here is also one point where fast lenses help, because they lead to a brighter viewfinder and shallow DOF which both help for manual focus.

  37. #887
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,395
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Wouldn't body sway or subject movement affect critical focus no matter where the active focus point was located in the viewfinder?

    Apparently, how far from center that auxiliary AF points can be placed is an issue for current technology. Even AF points in a 35mm DSLR aren't really placed very far from center ... and tend to be less sensitive than the center one even when touted as being improved cross type sensors. It seems even less spaced out when that current technology is overlaid into a MF viewfinder. I wonder what the technological issues are that prevent a more useful placement of AF points? I wonder why, with today's computerized abilities, that three separate AF systems couldn't be included ... One center, and two others at either side ... selected with a simple rocker switch like the mirror control on a car?

    I use off-center compositions frequently when shooting people, which I do a lot of since I mostly photograph weddings, environmental portraits, and a fair amount of wiggle worm active kids at play. I also favor wider apertures to isolate the subjects.

    After a full year of using Hasselblad's True Focus/Absolute Position Lock feature I've found it to be the best solution currently available even compared to the multi-AF sensors in the Canon 1DSMKIII, Nikon D3/D3X and Sony A900 I've used extensively. The reason is that it always uses the more sensitive center AF point, and that AF point can be placed anywhere in the scene even the very edge of the viewfinder, so the focus/recomposing action is faster than wheeling AF points around in a 35mm DSLR window. The trick is to practice the decisive moment of TF lock-on, and swiftly recompose-shoot without hesitation. The other practice one has to master is to rotate for recompose using the wrists as the pivot point, not the body at the hips because that can tend to introduce body sway more easily.

    TF is NOT faster if one uses a 35mm DSLR auxiliary AF point as the lock/shoot without any slight recomposing. Which I tend to not like because the AF point placements are grouped around the center to much.

    Manual focus tweaks are always possible with modern clutch type lenses like the S line, but I've found that pretty hard in lower light. I suppose a really good fresnel screen would help.

    -Marc

  38. #888
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,223
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Marc Wrote--->"Even AF points in a 35mm DSLR aren't really placed very far from center ... and tend to be less sensitive than the center one even when touted as being improved cross type sensors. It seems even less spaced out when that current technology is overlaid into a MF viewfinder. I wonder what the technological issues are that prevent a more useful placement of AF points? I wonder why, with today's computerized abilities, that three separate AF systems couldn't be included ... One center, and two others at either side ... selected with a simple rocker switch like the mirror control on a car?"<<<

    Marc, dead on! On the Pentax 645D MFD body, there are 9 AF points in the VF to select from, all clustered around the center of the frame. Shuttling from one to another isn't near as fast as in say in a Nikon D3 and spacing of them as you say, is too close for any practical advantage except one that I can think of at the moment. When a irregular shaped subject/object "close-up" fills the frame, such as a arrangement of flowers, it then becomes easier to select a focusing point and and keep it precisely locked on, without disturbing camera/tripod set-up. Except for this and I'm sure other exceptions, its generally more intuitive to use the center AF point (which seems more sensitive than the others) and just recompose, especially while shooting landscapes at infinity.

    I too have wondered what the technical issues were that prevented an array of AF sensors to be placed, so that they were able to be spaced out and placed near the sides and top/bottom of the viewfinder as well as the center, in some acceptable fashion without cluttering up the entire view inside the VF. Maybe user selected overlays (called up via a button or menu option) that allowed the photographer to select an overlay that fit their application at the time of shooting. Sort of like calling up electronic grid lines in some DSLR's.

    Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 20th March 2011 at 07:07.

  39. #889
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Jupiter, Fla.
    Posts
    1,967
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Victor, I have the Hassy adapter for the S2 and it works well but it's dumb, i.e. no chip to provide communication between the lens and camera. I've been told by a guy who understands this stuff better than I that developing such a chip is feasible (this was in the context of my asking if I could somehow get my Rollei lenses working on the S2). I've shot the 110/2 and 350 SA on the S2 and the results are superb. I haven't shot with the new Leica 120 macro but, based on the shots Marc posted, I'd say it would make the 110/2 redundant. On the other hand, if you're not shooting macro and don't use that focal length often, you can save $4-5k and still get great results. And Leica doesn't yet have anything to offer in the SA range. I could have used my 350 SA and 1.4x for shooting the super moon last night

    As far as AF goes... the Nikon D3 is light years better than anything I've shot in MF. The MF players need to work through whatever technical difficulties there are to improve this. IMHO, this is the weak link in the MF chain...

  40. #890
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    Posts
    2,075
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Victor, I think it has everything to do with how and what you shoot.

    Like you, I used a Contax 645 with both the Zeiss AF lenses including the 350/4 APO ... and a NAM-1 adapter to use my relatively vast collection of V lenses both CF and FE. It became more and more apparent that outside the studio, I wanted/needed AF for my style of more spontaneous shooting. When it became crystal clear that the C645 would never improve the AF, I moved on to the H system ... which has continually improved the AF system, and along with it my In Focus hit ratio ... culminating with True Focus and the H4D/60 where DOF and focus accuracy is even more critical. IMO, minor differences in optical qualities pales in comparison to too many OOF shots.

    Then along comes the S2 with unquestioned optics (IMO), and AF. When I tested the S2 before buying into the system, almost all the time was spent testing the AF and form factor for my style of shooting.

    I also just "LOVE" getting older ... where the sins of youth visit themselves on you with a vengeance I have a bone-on-bone arthritic sports knee that should have been totally replaced a decade ago, and I broke a couple of toes in the Studio a couple of weeks ago ... good thing I don't have a wedding to shoot soon Plus when younger, I severely damaged my right eye, and it is also getting worse faster than my left eye ... making AF more important. I can focus the M even with the 0.95 because I use mags ... plus rangefinders are easier to manually focus anyway.

    So, lugging around a really big system is something I'm less inclined to do now ... but I'm addicted to file quality.

    The only adapter I now own is one to use Leica M lenses on a Sony NEX ... and I don't consider it a serious item, more for fun. I truly am not interested in any adapted anything and sold all of my V system and even the CF adapters to use V lenses on the H camera ... even though the H had focus confirmation with manual V lenses. It was all just too slow.

    Sure I'd like to "try" a 350SA on a S2 ... but it is not something I'd ever buy ... I just do not use longer lenses very much ... actually hardly at all. I'd like to see a 1/4X APO extender for the Leica S180 and that would be all I'd ever need.

    So, it is all predicated around what and how you shoot.

    -Marc

    Me in my "Big Zeiss Lens" days ...

    Attachment 41732
    Marc

    I just finished a week long trial with Son Minh Pham's 350 SA and with the S2 you can make truly remarkable images.

    I did not buy it ultimately simply because lugging it into the field with the body, several other lenses and a tripod is just more than I can handle at my age and physical condition. If I was still in my 50's it would be a no brainer! I don't often wish to be younger but when it comes to field work I certainly do.

    Woody

  41. #891
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Jupiter, Fla.
    Posts
    1,967
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Thought I'd share something I just learned with those who do plan on using adapters with the S2. Apparently the S2 "remembers" the aperture setting on the last Leica lens that was mounted before using an adapter. So, if you were shooting with the 70mm at f/8 and then decided to use a lens with an adapter the camera will not meter properly... all the shots will be seriously overexposed. That's true for both aperture priority and manual mode. The workaround is simply to put on a Leica lens and open it wide, e.g. 70mm at 2.5. Don't need to shoot there, just set the lens. Then switch to adapter with (in my case) 110/2 and the camera meters properly... again, in both aperture priority or manual mode. Drove me nuts trying to figure out what was wrong. Once again having a knowledgeable dealer is worth it's weight in gold.

  42. #892
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    860
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    76

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    David, that is news to me. I am thoroughly confused because I used both the Hasselblad and Pentax 6x7 adapters on the S2 when I went to the Everglades and changing the manual aperture certainly seemed to affect the metering. I didn't have many images with exposure problems and the ones I did have were more toward over exposure. Maybe I was lucky and coincidently set the S lens aperture open before switching to the Hassey or Pentax lenses.

  43. #893
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Jupiter, Fla.
    Posts
    1,967
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Mark, it was news to me too. Happened once before and I stumbled upon the fix without knowing it so when it happened again I didn't have a clue. I suspect you had the last Leica lens mounted open wider than the max aperture of what you were shooting with the adapter. Be interesting if someone else with an adapter could try to recreate what I found. I'd guess it's a universal S2 issue since David F knew what the problem was and how to resolve it.

  44. #894
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,574
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Wouldn't body sway or subject movement affect critical focus no matter where the active focus point was located in the viewfinder?
    ...
    The point I mean when shooting portrait its not like focusing/composing/pressing the shutter because you would wait for the right moment meaning there are delays between those actions.
    I usually have C-AF on the AF button. When I can keep the AF-point on the eye means I can continous focus right until the moment when I press the shutter release.

  45. #895
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    Posts
    2,075
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    Mark, it was news to me too. Happened once before and I stumbled upon the fix without knowing it so when it happened again I didn't have a clue. I suspect you had the last Leica lens mounted open wider than the max aperture of what you were shooting with the adapter. Be interesting if someone else with an adapter could try to recreate what I found. I'd guess it's a universal S2 issue since David F knew what the problem was and how to resolve it.
    Mark and David

    When I first bought my adapter I had these metering issues (Hassy adapter from Dale Photo). David Farkas made it clear that when removing the lens currently on the camera you had to have it set at the wide open aperture. Have not had a problem since.

    Woody

  46. #896
    Subscriber gogopix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,383
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Thanks all
    Interesting comments, including about the effect of the 'calandar'

    Marc, agree shooting and style drive a lot of considerations. That's why the "fly before buy" is so important.

    David(s) the adapter issue is not surprising. On each shoot with Hasseys I have to rmind myself of the 'slide the ap lock, compose, check meter, stop down...." but once set I can fire off a number of shots faster than AF!

    Right now. I need to see what th IQ180 does for me... but THAT is for another thread

    all the best, guys
    Victor

  47. #897
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    860
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    76

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    Thank you for setting me straight David and Woody. I must have been very lucky when I used the adapters because I had no issues. I came away with very positive experience.

  48. #898
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,574
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    with the 35mm this morning:

  49. #899
    Senior Member ceh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Slovakia
    Posts
    1,506
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    ................................

  50. #900
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,574
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

    I didnt realize she nearly lost her Jeans until I looked on the image afterwards.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •