Site Sponsors
Page 29 of 50 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 39 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,450 of 2463

Thread: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

GMB ... all very nice images, but I love the second one you posted. Beautiful people, colors, emotion and bokeh all in one image.

Post Thanks / Like

GMB...a nice image array showing the flexibility of the S2. I like your travel 'eye' and variety!

I do most of my shooting while traveling, and am curious what percentage of the time you find the auto focus grabs the point you want. Coming from MF Contax and RF MF, I have tried the S2 a few times and it is better, but I still hear the "I mostly use MF" from the pros.

That said, I also hear that the AF has improved with the firmware changes (I still want spot AF!!!)

I am off to Italy for a trek, with the S2 (I am leaning in that direction) and wondered how often the AF would suffice. On previous trips, for landscape and pano I found better performance with focus at infinity (NOT hyperfocal distance; it works in therory, but as Robert has shown here a number of times, HF distance can be a poor compromise, esp for wider lenses.)

Anyway, just curious. I tend toward MF out of habit (doing this for over 60 years! ) but sometimes the AF is needed to get a fleeting image.

reagrds
    Victor

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gogopix View Post
    GMB...a nice image array showing the flexibility of the S2. I like your travel 'eye' and variety!

I do most of my shooting while traveling, and am curious what percentage of the time you find the auto focus grabs the point you want. Coming from MF Contax and RF MF, I have tried the S2 a few times and it is better, but I still hear the "I mostly use MF" from the pros.

That said, I also hear that the AF has improved with the firmware changes (I still want spot AF!!!)

I am off to Italy for a trek, with the S2 (I am leaning in that direction) and wondered how often the AF would suffice. On previous trips, for landscape and pano I found better performance with focus at infinity (NOT hyperfocal distance; it works in therory, but as Robert has shown here a number of times, HF distance can be a poor compromise, esp for wider lenses.)

Anyway, just curious. I tend toward MF out of habit (doing this for over 60 years! ) but sometimes the AF is needed to get a fleeting image.

reagrds
    Victor
    Hi Victor,

Don't know if this will help in any way, but I discovered something about the S2 while shooting weddings, and posted it on Red Dot where it apparently has made a difference for a few other S2 shooters. It seems to help a lot in achieving faster focus and less focus errors.

"Here's a tip regarding the S2 that takes note of how the camera works. When you turn on the S2, the lens starts up and sets itself at the focus distance you last used. If it was @ 5', then the lens sets itself to 5'. Now, for those that have used a manual focus system in past, one effective technique was to set the focus at infinity prior to a shot because for most images (other than close-ups), the lens has less distance to travel to achieve focus. If you have a lens with distance markings like a M optic, look at how they progressively get closer and closer covering greater distances as you approach infinity.

So, one technique that can improve AF speed is to manually set the focus to infinity before you turn on the camera. If a subject is moving toward you, the lens only has one way to travel as the subject successively gets closer. It isn't traveling from a close setting to a farther one and maybe over-shoots it and has to return (hunting) ... it is simply faster to move from infinity for a great majority of shots.

Try it. With practice, it's pretty revealing."

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Marc,
    That makes a lot of sense; I'll try it!
    BTW, sometimes the hardest critics uncover the best results, and I had watched your struggles, and then accommodation then support of the S2. Seeing the images you get didn't hurt!

Anyway, thanks for sharing. As I said, all the numbers and pixel peeping aside, when pros and serious photographers just get satisfying, and sometimes darn impressive results, it can't all be skill...must be something in the equipment that's working!

Thx again
    Victor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Super moonset on May 6th, taken with Hasselblad 350 FE f4 + 1.4x extender (490mm)

L1003891 by AlTanabe, on Flickr
    Al Tanabe
    Likes 11 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

My S2 is back from Solms ...some fun in the garden

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

reagrds
    Victor
    Victor,
    I now have the microprism screen in my S2 but in 90% of subjects/situations the Af works more reliable than my eyes with manual focus.
    For anything not moving I find the AF very precise for most subjects, and I feel I do know which subjects could be tricky for the AF.
    Regards, Tom

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful shots Tom.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paratom View Post
    My S2 is back from Solms
    just curious: why was it in Solms?
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Georg
    My new website (under construction) at Zenfolio

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GMB View Post
    just curious: why was it in Solms?
    When I put the microprism-screen in I found out that the position of the mirror/screen needed some slight adjustment. Now everything is perfect again.
    Very fast and good service.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A group of Cosplay (Costume Play) people gather to share their costumes of Anime characters and just have fun every month.

Gasukan1 by AlTanabe, on Flickr

Gasukan4 by AlTanabe, on Flickr
    Al Tanabe
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Iron Man Revealed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by java240 View Post
    Thank you all for the comments

I have S2 approximately half a year. I bought it from CEH. I also have 35mm 70mm and 120mm to it. I have brought quite a lot of material from Ethiopia. I'll add another photos soon but I have to edit them first.

I do mostly portraits of people and before Leica S2 I had A900 where I used Zeiss 24-70mm 2,8 + Zeiss 135mm 1,8, Zeiss 16-35mm 2,8. I've recently sold system A900. I know comparing these two systems is not fair but I've been photographing with A900 for 2 years.

I shoot 98% of pictures with almost opened aperture. All lenses 35mm, 70mm and 120mm are excelent at this, detail 1:1 is incredible. I'll be printing a lot of photographs at big format and I'm looking forward to it. That was the main reason I bought Leica S2.

Everything was shot in a natural light in Ethiopia, most of the time in shadow. Balancing white in shadow expressing the skin colour is amazing. S A900 had sometimes big problem with it.

In A900 I wasn't satisfied with the result on sharp sunlight(morning and evening), there was always something disturbing with colours. Leica S2 is handling it perfectly. Colours are flawless and DR is superb.

I was really pleasantly surprised with ISO 640, I'll add some photos later.

Photographing with S2 requires a whole different approach autofocus in the centre- tripod in ethiopia is used in 50%

I'm highly satisfied with the system after my trip to Ethiopia.

The first four photos are 120 mm
    There is Exif in all the pictures.
    Java, would you mind telling us a little more about your technique (your photographs are terrific). For instance, are you using the autofocus in these portraits and recomposing, or are you using manual focus. And, are these tripod shots? (They look to be handheld, but thought I'd ask.)

Post Thanks / Like

Well, the Bay of Naples can be pretty misty, yet this is a quite typical scene from The cliffs above Sorrento.

S2 70mm.
    Victor

Post Thanks / Like

and another I liked from one of our treks into the valleys on th Amalfi coast (many paper mills, a while ago! :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all,first post here from an S2 owner,I was drawn to this superb thread and figured I may as well throw a couple of snaps into the mix...

the 2nd one is nothing much but I thought it was a good display of the S70mm performance,very sharp..(although I doubt you could tell from an online jpeg..)

Rob
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

One More night shot from the Dam..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RVB View Post
    Hi all,first post here from an S2 owner,I was drawn to this superb thread and figured I may as well throw a couple of snaps into the mix...

the 2nd one is nothing much but I thought it was a good display of the S70mm performance,very sharp..(although I doubt you could tell from an online jpeg..)

Rob
    The first picture is still made ​​in Schevening, right?

Post Thanks / Like

Sure is Scheveningen...

Post Thanks / Like

These jpegs have suffered badly from compression.. the originals look a look better,,,

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I posted this elsewhere, but thought to add to the S2 image bank on my favorite forum of them all ... thanks to Guy and Jack!

Okay, so I'm shooting a wedding which has a few planned location shots split into two times during the day... location: Michigan Student Union, downtown Ann Arbor, MI.

First are some afternoon Bridal fashion type shots on the Art Museum's steps across the street ... when we get there the sun is blasting the background with dappled light hot spots and the steps are in deep shade. I'm using the S2 and 70mm mounted to a Kirk Grip, Profoto AIR radio on grip handle connected with a PC cord to trigger a 600B AIRs strobe. 27" Profoto gold tint Octa mounted on a mobile boom arm. SF58 in the hot-shoe with a Graslon Prodigy diffuser.

I manually under-expose for the background, and hit the foreground subject with the strobe camera left. Camera is in portrait orientation so I rotate the S2 to the right to place the fill more to the right side of the image. Hard to tell that powerful strobe light was used on these ... I was delighted with the natural looking way the S2 renders subtile light. It was more than I expected given what it looked like to the eye.

This is a perfect example as to why I want the leaf shutter S lenses that shoot to 1/1000 sync ... I would have much preferred to shoot this moving subject at a higher shutter speed than 1/90 or 1/125.

The second mini session after dinner is running late and I'm going to be running out of light by the time we get to a few planned shots. Anticipating this is the reason I brought along the Profoto 600B AIR in the first place.

The original 2nd location (U of M Law Quad in Ann Arbor, MI) is inexplicably locked up and we can't get access ... sun is just about gone now ... we bustle down the street to a giant modern sculpture (by Calder I think), and do the key shot for the day ... by then in the dark : -(

So dark, the S2 with 70mm is struggling to focus ... we turn on the wimpy 50 watt modeling light and wham! the S2 nails focus immediately over and over. I had to shoot these at 1/30 shutter to pick-up the dim ambient, so I used a monopod with a RRS flip head ... only a few exposures showed any slight motion @ 100% ... the S2 loves the Mono-pod!

Client is the daughter of a lighting tech I know. I delivered the prints yesterday and they were stunned by the quality of the large display images (the crushed little jpegs here simply do not do them justice). I mean they were jaw dropping, speechlessly STUNNED and delighted. Good thing too, he has two other unmarried beautiful daughters ...

All in a day's work.

-Marc
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful shots Marc.

Although I have to admit I felt some motion sickness with the two images side by side of the bride.

Seriously though, I love the lighting, you made it look very natural, which I feel is how all lighting shots should look. Especially in the second shot, no one would have guessed the lighting conditions you were in!

Post Thanks / Like

These jpegs have suffered badly from compression.. the originals look a look better,,,
    There's no doubt about it, beautiful shots!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pophoto View Post
    Beautiful shots Marc.

Although I have to admit I felt some motion sickness with the two images side by side of the bride.

Seriously though, I love the lighting, you made it look very natural, which I feel is how all lighting shots should look. Especially in the second shot, no one would have guessed the lighting conditions you were in!
    Thanks.

LOL! Yeah, I see what you mean. Fortunately, those 2 shots will never appear together except here ... I only printed the first version for the bride as well a few after she reached top and turned for the usual bridal shot.

-Marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Skinny bridge at night?

The jpegs do not look all that spectacular. Perhaps you could find an optimal setting for the postings?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    The Skinny bridge at night?

The jpegs do not look all that spectacular. Perhaps you could find an optimal setting for the postings?
    I agree,it was the first time i ever posted here.. I down sampled the original tiff to 20% and then saved a jpeg at near highest quality..(11).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pophoto View Post
    There's no doubt about it, beautiful shots!
    Thanks,My main objective when I took these shots was to familiarise myself with the camera and start customising the buttons so i can get comfortable with it,I am used to canon d series' body's and can use them fluidly ,I haven't really had much time to use the S2 (health issue's at the moment) but so far I love it,and the glass is superb..

Post Thanks / Like

Three great shots,the third one is the star(At least to my eye's...),beautiful light and setting

Post Thanks / Like

Stunning..

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by KurtKamka View Post
    Here are a few more recent shots. Thanks for looking.

Don't want to bore anyone here with too many S2 posts. Lots more on my tumblr feed:
    I'm a little late to the party but these are very good Kurt. How long have you been in the phils? I just moved back home to Canada after living in Manila for 1 1/2yrs. It was challenging to say the least but it was an incredible experience - especially for my kids. I enjoy your photo's - stay safe!

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by atanabe View Post
    Super moonset on May 6th, taken with Hasselblad 350 FE f4 + 1.4x extender (490mm)
    Holy ()*@#$! That's amazing.

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

You might just have been standing on the roof of the houseboat I had for a spell a couple of years back. Lovely shot of the bridge! The Opera Huis on the other side's not too shabby either.

Very lovely picture!

Post Thanks / Like

The S2 is not known for high ISO, and I had in the Vatican Museum and St Peters.
    Here are some interesting hand helds. Even though you are not going to get catalog-like shots, the lighting was interesting to me, esp the 'glow' in the map room and the dust-mote sunlight in the basilica.

I didnt risk 2500, so these are ISO 1250
    1/60
    f2.5 in St P and 5.6 in Museum

regards
    Victor

PS: and something different. The rep for GEICO in Italy (100%)
    looks like they DO smile (or smirk, look closely)
    Last edited by gogopix; 11th June 2012 at 17:08.

Post Thanks / Like

I got to try one out this weekend at Glazer's Seattle Photofest. Let me say I'm in love!

Oh! by onesixeight88, on Flickr

Wind in My Face by onesixeight88, on Flickr

Backstage by onesixeight88, on Flickr

Cheers,
    Chris

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

The S2 is not known for high ISO, and I had in the Vatican Museum and St Peters.
    Here are some interesting hand helds. Even though you are not going to get catalog-like shots, the lighting was interesting to me, esp the 'glow' in the map room and the dust-mote sunlight in the basilica.

1/60

regards
    Victor

2500 on the S2? Did I miss something?

Post Thanks / Like

No, Leica did.

These were likely 2500 equivalent anyway. In the old days (you remember, when ISO was called ASA and went from 16 to 64! ) we used something called "pushing development" Exposed a stop or two faster, or stopped down, then in development increased the time in developer. Was quite a science.

Here, it is pretty simple: I used spot metering, and needed to "push" in C1 by increasing exposure. Sort of similar. Anyway, the files are not as 'noisy' as I thought they would be. Served my purpose, and a shot I would have mssed with 320.

But, say, tell me I am not TOTALY bonkers: the M9 has 2500, yes?

regards
    Victor

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

No, Leica did.

These were likely 2500 equivalent anyway. In the old days (you remember, when ISO was called ASA and went from 16 to 64! ) we used something called "pushing development" Exposed a stop or two faster, or stopped down, then in development increased the time in developer. Was quite a science.

Here, it is pretty simple: I used spot metering, and needed to "push" in C1 by increasing exposure. Sort of similar. Anyway, the files are not as 'noisy' as I thought they would be. Served my purpose, and a shot I would have mssed with 320.

But, say, tell me I am not TOTALY bonkers: the M9 has 2500, yes?

regards
    Victor
    yes, M9 has 2500.

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes it is good to remember...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Double Negative View Post
    You might just have been standing on the roof of the houseboat I had for a spell a couple of years back. Lovely shot of the bridge! The Opera Huis on the other side's not too shabby either.

Very lovely picture!
    Thanks,here is another one that should bring back a memory or two....Elmarit 30mm...

Post Thanks / Like

1/60

regards
    Victor

Impressive,especially considering the iso,which raw converter did you use?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Some new stuff I caught when on vacation in South Haven Michigan last week ... they had a nice gathering of Pierce Arrow Motor Cars ... and before they went off touring, I was able to get off a few shots with the S2, 35mm and 70mm.

It was a bit brutal lighting, but a polarizer helped on a few if them.

-Marc
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Marc,

The last two are my favorites...lovely group overall and I am sure you were pleased to have such a stable of cars to photograph!

Assume these last were with the 70S?

Bob

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by docmoore View Post
    Marc,

The last two are my favorites...lovely group overall and I am sure you were pleased to have such a stable of cars to photograph!

Assume these last were with the 70S?

Bob
    Thanks Bob. The cars were a lucky find ... yes the last two were the 70mm. I did some other detail shots for myself, but they don't seem to sell as well as full car shots.

Actually, the thing I really wanted to shoot was the finish of the Queen's Cup sailing race from Milwaukee across Lake Michigan to the harbor in South Haven ... got up at 5:30AM to get nice light as the sun came up ...

Here are few with the 180mm:

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Impressive,especially considering the iso,which raw converter did you use?
    I use C1 v6 for anything and have for years. I have a generic profile from david Farkas at Dale that works quite well.

Marc is the real S2 expert here, and I believe he uses C1 as well.

LR abd ACR did really nasty things and the detail was surprising less. I should show a 100% crop. They were quite good.

regards
    Victor

Post Thanks / Like

I use C1 v6 for anything and have for years. I have a generic profile from david Farkas at Dale that works quite well.

Marc is the real S2 expert here, and I believe he uses C1 as well.

LR abd ACR did really nasty things and the detail was surprising less. I should show a 100% crop. They were quite good.

regards
    Victor
    Thanks Victor,thats good intel and intel like this the reason I come to this forum so often,I can Learn a lot around here..

Best

Robert

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

with the 120mm handhold...

Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Gorgeous, Tom.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Gorgeous, Tom.
    Thanks Lloyd
    I was shooting with smaller cameras for some weeks - when i browsed the MF-thread I realized its time to bring out the S2 again more often.
    And each time when I take the S2 I am amazed by the IQ. The files just come out of the camera without much/any needs for post processing.
    The S2 works very well for me.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paratom View Post
    Thanks Lloyd
    I was shooting with smaller cameras for some weeks - when i browsed the MF-thread I realized its time to bring out the S2 again more often.
    And each time when I take the S2 I am amazed by the IQ. The files just come out of the camera without much/any needs for post processing.
    The S2 works very well for me.
    When I was in Iceland last month I was finally able to see some large prints of S2 shots, and the level of detail was simply astounding. I'd love to have one, but I don't think it's in my future. I'll just have to enjoy your work vicariously.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    When I was in Iceland last month I was finally able to see some large prints of S2 shots, and the level of detail was simply astounding. I'd love to have one, but I don't think it's in my future. I'll just have to enjoy your work vicariously.
    Ha, I would rather not have a S2 but go to Iceland