Site Sponsors
Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 22 30 31 32 33 34 42 ... LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,600 of 2467

Thread: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

Wonderful colours, Georg, and really nice photos - I like the one with the Colony Hotel the best, for the evening atmosphere. Regards, Martin

Post Thanks / Like

when did u get this lens, it seems production has stopped and nothing is coming to usa
    Quote Originally Posted by GMB View Post
    Time for some shots with the super versatile 30-90 on the S2:

White and yellow car (@30mm)

Jerry's (@51mm)

Surf Style (@90mm}

Coca Cola (@52mm)

Colony Hotel [email protected])

Sunset (@31mm)

Pelican (@87mm)

Alligator (@87mm)

Relax (@34mm)
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by msadat View Post
    when did u get this lens, it seems production has stopped and nothing is coming to usa
    They're becoming available. I bought mine from Derek Danois ("ddanois") who found it at Allen's Camera in Pennsylvania. It's a wonderful lens.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure how true it is but the last time I inquired about the 30-90 (before receiving and selling it to Joe) I was told that Leica US was receiving about 1 piece per month.

It's worth checking with some of the Leica stores directly to see what the expected time frame might be as of today.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Tom. But forget the "may be". You know that you will become weak but don't yet have to guts to admit it.
    try to resist try to resist. and it is so expensive, and so heavy anyways, and so good and flexible ;( try to resist

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

woody
    Woody's twitter feed
    Woody's daily photo blog
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paratom View Post
    try to resist try to resist. and it is so expensive, and so heavy anyways, and so good and flexible ;( try to resist
    If it had CS I would be sold on it... a great travel lens.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Gotta stay out the S forum... Great shots all around.
    Priolite Ambassador | Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Touching up some S2 pix from the last summer; this is from the Mamiya 200mm F2.8 APO probably at F2.8. One of my favorite medium format lenses. More 200mm APO pix here.

John
    www.pebbleplace.com / Facebook
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

This wonderful thread is almost passing 100.000 page views, that calls for a celebration!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paratom View Post
    Just to make resisting a bit more difficult: There was a Leica representative responsible for the S System at my dealer yesterday. We talked about the zoom and I told him that I was very happy with it. He then showed me prints of test pics done by a German pro (sorry--forgot the name) with 30+ years of experience. He shot a Porsche 911 in his studio with studio lightning comparing the zoom a 30, 35, 70 and 90 mm with the 30, 35, 70 and 120 primes. Tripod, mirror lock--the whole thing. The full frame shots showed the entire back of the car even with some space to the left and right. He than had prints (aprox 35x55 cm) showing just half of the number plate and a bit around it (I assume 100% crops or pretty close). The only difference you could see was that the zoom had slightly more micro contrast. In other words: If there is a discernible IQ difference, the zoom may actually have the edge.

This means that, from an IQ / picture taking point of view, the only / main reason to shoot with the primes is that they are faster. This is IF you want to the very narrow depth of field they offer. For many occasions, I actually want more depth of field than I get from my 35 and 70 wide open.

Of course, there are other reasons why the primes may be preferable (CS, less weight etc.)

The other comment that he made was that the 350 mm project is apparently dead. He said Leica had done a calculation for the lens, and it would have cost about 10k EUR and the weight would have been about 4kg. So it seems that for long glass, the Hassy lenses plus adapter is the way to go--at least for the foreseeable future.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Georg
    My new website (under construction) at Zenfolio

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

10,000 euro? That's all? I would have thought 15-20,000 euro for that lens...the big APO modul system was 15-20000 dollars for one lens back during the R system, wasn't it? Not saying I would buy one, but 10K Euros for 4kg of Leica glass seems like they would be pricing it pretty aggressively...
    Given how good the Leica lenses and designs are, I think they would be better off designing a very good tele-converter to go with the 180mm (in fact, my guess is that they are already working on it...it seems like a no-brainer). I used the 2x APO converter with the 180mm on the R system, and while it made the lens a little dark, it was still incredibly sharp wide open. You did lose a bit of quality, but when it is so high to start it is barely noticeable, and certainly preferable to spending tens of thousands of euros on a lens that you might use only occasionally. If you are a nature photographer and always use a 350, it's a shame, but for everyone else it would probably be a better option.

P.S. A few years ago I found a great deal on a 350mm f/4 FE lens, which I purchased. It has an interesting look, especially when used on medium distance subjects, but I have not found it to be all that useful on the S2. Sure, it covers the focal length, but the performance on 40mp is not that good until you stop it down to f/8 or higher, and at that point the shutter speeds are usually quite low which makes it more useful for landscape and static objects than for fast moving ones like wildlife. I think if you want a truly bang-on lens for this focal length for the S2, your best bet is probably the pricey Superachromat, 300 f/2.8 FE monster, or the H series version.
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Or the amazing 350/4 Zeiss lens for Contax 645, used with the recently announced S-C adapter. With autofocus, autoaperture etc. That lens can be purchased for around Eur3000 second hand. It is very big an heavy though. But possibly better than the 300 mm lens for the H system.

Post Thanks / Like

The other comment that he made was that the 350 mm project is apparently dead. He said Leica had done a calculation for the lens, and it would have cost about 10k EUR and the weight would have been about 4kg. So it seems that for long glass, the Hassy lenses plus adapter is the way to go--at least for the foreseeable future.
    If thats true, it would be really sad. But I do not understand the logic of the arguments. Prices was never an issue with Leica products. Stuart is right, just take a look at the prices of the Leica R 1:4/400 mm Apo-Telyt-R. The argument regarding the weight is also quite strange, long glass has is weight. Here as well the weight of the 400 mm Apo-Telyt-R is 3850g. So whats the big deal? I hope the Leica guy you meet is a salesman and does not have all the infos.

Post Thanks / Like

Two test shots with the S2 and 120MM on the first outing.

Attachment 74028

Attachment 74029
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lovely, but come on now...show us what's going on in some of those windows...
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!

Post Thanks / Like

One of the more depressing new condo developments across the hudson...

Post Thanks / Like

The skyline view

Post Thanks / Like

Georgs beautiful images have added to my interest in the S Zoom. I am curious about its mechanics; does the lens barrell extend during zooming and/or focusing and if so, does the hood move with it or is its mount fixed as is that of the 120?

Post Thanks / Like

Having loads of undeveloped S2 pictures, coming from a discussion with my wife about MM, M9-P, M240 and the S, I thought this is a good time to post a S shot. The S is still one of the most amazing cameras I have ever used.

Kunene River, Namibian border to Angola. S2 + 30mm; stitch out of 5 pictures

Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, I have not really been posting many photos to web forums lately, but I feel inspired by the thread! Here are a few photos taken with the S2, all in Iceland, where I live. I have been working on a series with the working title of Neopolitans...basically, the idea is to have an interplay between the sky, horizon and earth. We often get interesting weather conditions here where the sky, horizon and foreground are all in fairly different states. So these are all roughly composed that way. Most of these are from East Iceland, one of the most beautiful places I have seen.

Likes 16 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Stuart, a very strong serious!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Plus one from me, Stuart. Good stuff indeed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you both! I have more in the series, from the M9 as well (it actually started it), but I still have not arranged them in an internally consistent way. It needs more work, in any case. I just wish we would get some summer here...almost July and it is still cold and rainy! We might not even have summer this year I guess...that said, most of these were taken in autumn, so I guess it doesn´t really matter after all!

Post Thanks / Like

S120CS...
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Richardson View Post
    Thank you both! I have more in the series, from the M9 as well (it actually started it), but I still have not arranged them in an internally consistent way. It needs more work, in any case. I just wish we would get some summer here...almost July and it is still cold and rainy! We might not even have summer this year I guess...that said, most of these were taken in autumn, so I guess it doesn´t really matter after all!
    You want summer ill trade you 118 today for whatever you got. The snakes are hiding.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

9.7C/49F and Cloudy. Hasn't really been out of the 50s this summer. Generally we get up to the 60s, at least on nice days...been cloudy or rainy most of June though. Usually I am fine with the weather here, but it has been a really cold spring and summer...just a bit too cool this year. You can keep your 118 though!

Post Thanks / Like

After waiting nearly 18 months, I finally got a Lee Big Stopper.
    Anxious to experiment, I went to the Virginia Museum where there
    is a staircase alongside of which is a stepped waterfall, and at the
    top of which is a terrace with small falls.

Attached are the first two images with the Big Stopper. It
    certainly encourages "creativity", but there is a large element
    of "trial and error" for each image to achieve the desired amount
    of "creaminess" or just the right amount of suggestive movement.
    (e.g. the light swirls in the horizontal image are pollen pods
    moving through the swirling water.)

Noteworthy, the S2 had no issues with the longer (up to 35 seconds)
    exposures. There was slight magenta toning on the vertical image
    perhaps from the viewfinder which I forgot to cover. But, this was not
    an issue when converted to B&W (Nik Silver Effex).

The S2's "long exposure correction" really works to eliminate any
    "noise", although it does test your patience in the field waiting for
    it to count down from say 35 seconds!
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

That said (see above), the S2 does well with just a ND gradient (4x5)
    held in front of the 70mm lens. Again, it is trial and error as to how
    long to expose to create the effect.

Post Thanks / Like

Color version ... this was taken while driving through the Dam..

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Richardson View Post
    9.7C/49F and Cloudy. Hasn't really been out of the 50s this summer. Generally we get up to the 60s, at least on nice days...been cloudy or rainy most of June though. Usually I am fine with the weather here, but it has been a really cold spring and summer...just a bit too cool this year. You can keep your 118 though!
    Perhaps it's a make up call for the double summer last year. Fabulous, and unusually warm weather, as I recall.

Post Thanks / Like

The other comment that he made was that the 350 mm project is apparently dead. He said Leica had done a calculation for the lens, and it would have cost about 10k EUR and the weight would have been about 4kg.
    !!

I hope this doesn't affect the price of the Contax 645 350mm Teleapotessar. I have almost figured out how to pay for a used S2 and the Contax 350.

Oh well... I'm enjoying the pictures posted here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by doug View Post
    !!

I hope this doesn't affect the price of the Contax 645 350mm Teleapotessar. I have almost figured out how to pay for a used S2 and the Contax 350.

Oh well... I'm enjoying the pictures posted here.
    There is always the HC300mm... also very sharp and far lighter. cheaper too ..

Post Thanks / Like

Hello All,

Leica recently posted my work with an S2 on a couple of their blogs. Scott Tansey: A Profoundly Panoramic Vision of the World, Part 1 « The Leica Camera and Scott Tansey: A Profoundly Panoramic Vision of the World Part 2 « The Leica Camera. Hope you enjoy the images and the words.

Scott

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Very impressive, Scott. Congrats on the recognition, and bigger congrats on the stunning images.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your kind words. Slowly leaving my shyness behind. Have had a blast with the S2 since August 2010.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Very impressive, Scott. Congrats on the recognition, and bigger congrats on the stunning images.
    Can't add much more Scott. Pretty cool.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Tansey View Post
    Hello All,

Leica recently posted my work with an S2 on a couple of their blogs. Scott Tansey: A Profoundly Panoramic Vision of the World, Part 1 « The Leica Camera and Scott Tansey: A Profoundly Panoramic Vision of the World Part 2 « The Leica Camera. Hope you enjoy the images and the words.

Scott
    Beautiful image's Scott but also a very good interview....

melantye

First time using S 120mm for a macro flower shot, wish I had the micro prism screen... If anyone knows the name of this flower please let me know
    Last edited by melantye; 7th July 2013 at 21:19.

Post Thanks / Like

Good Morning Yong,
    Your beautiful image is of a passion flower of the Passiflora genus, most likely a hybrid variety.
    A word to the wise here: if you buy one of the microprism focusing screens, install it VERY carefully. I had a great bit of difficulty with mine and ended up scratching it badly, nor do I believe that I am the first to do so. I believe that they are packaged upside down but am not certain about this.

Douglas Benson.

melantye

Quote Originally Posted by pesto View Post
    Good Morning Yong,
    Your beautiful image is of a passion flower of the Passiflora genus, most likely a hybrid variety.
    A word to the wise here: if you buy one of the microprism focusing screens, install it VERY carefully. I had a great bit of difficulty with mine and ended up scratching it badly, nor do I believe that I am the first to do so. I believe that they are packaged upside down but am not certain about this.

Douglas Benson.
    Thank you Douglas!

Post Thanks / Like

Multitasking

This is Epiphyllum strictum, an epiphytic, thornless, night blooming cactus that grows wild on my property. The flowers are very fragrant but short-lived; by mid morning they are wilted and the previously crystalline white petals are tawny. This image was shot at ~6:00 AM all the while I was feeding the mosquito hoards.

Leica S2 P / 120 Macro at F/11 / Iso 160 / ~10 seconds
    Last edited by pesto; 8th July 2013 at 13:47.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice! The Chinese often associate these flowers with women of extreme beauty... short-lived, and only show their beauty at night.
    David Young
    My journey into Leica: LeicaLux.com

Post Thanks / Like

Can the 30-90 zoom replace the primes in terms of depth of field? Zoom users, do you ever find yourself in need of shallower DOF?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looks like the theme now is flower images taken with the 120 Macro . Here's a picture of a Gloriosa Rotschildiana, growing wildly in the Bigodi Swamp in Uganda. I had no idea what this flower was called, however my mother knew.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mmbma View Post
    Can the 30-90 zoom replace the primes in terms of depth of field? Zoom users, do you ever find yourself in need of shallower DOF?
    I think on the short end (30 and 35mm) the difference between the zoom and the primes is negligible. As regards the 70 mm, while one cannot obtain the extreme narrow DOF of the prime, the zoom still permits to isolate the subject.

In fact, this was one of my concerns when I got the zoom, and it turned out not to be an issue in practice. Also, if I want really narrow DOF, I take the 120.

Having said that, while I may part with the 35, I have no intention to part with the 70. Not only because of its superb rendering and narrow DOF, but also because of size and weight.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Georg
    My new website (under construction) at Zenfolio

Post Thanks / Like

Rough morning after a bit too much catnip.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Red Rock Amphitheater, Morrison, CO
    Leica S2/Leica 35mm

Hi...I am new here. Just got the S2 and 2 lenses (70/35mm) few days ago. I am glad I bought them. It's a remarkable system and the lenses are the best!
    Thanks to Douglas, Joe, Derek, Cenek and Rob for your kind advices.
    Special thanks to Derek and Rob for sending me files to look at and Joe who sold me this fantastic lens (shipping the lens even before receiving the payment )
    Best
    Pramote
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard Pramote. I look forward to seeing your fantastic images.

DAB.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pesto View Post
    Welcome aboard Pramote. I look forward to seeing your fantastic images.

DAB.
    Thanks very much Douglas! Pramote