The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

jonoslack

ISO 1250 cleans up nicely in LR3. The image gets a bit too smooth (plastic looking) and looses some pop (DR and contrast). However, it may be possible to find better settings with some practice. Still, its better than not getting the shot.

That's so fantastic Mark
I can feel Doug's wallet disintegrating in the background :ROTFL:

doug

I can feel Doug's wallet disintegrating in the background :ROTFL:
can't get blood from a turnip
can't get money from my wallet :D

OTOH once the proposed 350mm APO-Telyt-S becomes reality I'll be checking under my sofa cushions, in every vending machine coin return, and I'll sit on the street corner holding out my hat to passers-by ;)

Mark,
Stop looking for alternate lenses and just save up for the 180. That is incredible detail!

Al
I have been off today selling body parts (e.g, less used toys) to help pay for a Leica S 180mm. Even with a 180mm I will still want a 350mm or longer. The Hasselblad 350mm CF makes the most sense for the foreseeable future. Who knows when Leica will come out with their S 350mm or how much unobtainium it will cost.

woodyspedden

ISO 1250 cleans up nicely in LR3. The image gets a bit too smooth (plastic looking) and looses some pop (DR and contrast). However, it may be possible to find better settings with some practice. Still, its better than not getting the shot.

Full Frame - 180mm at ISO 1250

Crop

Great stuff Mark.

I am still vacillating between the 120 and the 180 but I will probably get the 120 because I want macro capabilities. I just bought a mint Zeiss/Hassy V 350 SA which I love more than any other 300mm lens I have seen. ( I never tried a Leica Module lens but Kurt owned them all as I recall so he may have some thoughts on this manner.) So that would leave me with a lens stable of 35 S, 70S, 110 Zeiss, 120 S and 350 SA Zeiss. Should cover my needs near as I can see. The 180 of course doubles as a fine portrait lens but with the Hassy FE 110 2.0 my portraits needs are covered big time.

Love to hear any comments from the various S2 users as to their lens experiences.

Woody

woodyspedden

I have been off today selling body parts (e.g, less used toys) to help pay for a Leica S 180mm. Even with a 180mm I will still want a 350mm or longer. The Hasselblad 350mm CF makes the most sense for the foreseeable future. Who knows when Leica will come out with their S 350mm or how much unobtainium it will cost.
Don't know about the Leica 350 pricing but used Hassy/Zeiss 350 SA's are still over $10K for a good quality lens! It is special but very expensive.

I will post shots from it as soon as it arrives

Woody

David K

Workshop Member
Hey Woody, had to chuckle at the phrase "should cover my needs...". As if that's ever stopped any of us from getting more gear :) On a more serious note I think you've got a heck of a lineup there and the 350 SA is as good as it gets.

PeterA

Well I am still waiting for my adaptor so I cant post with any Zeiss glass ...
That 350 SA has to be one fo the mst desireabel lenses ever made - congratulations Woody!

btw - has anyone had any issues with SilverFx Pro and S2 files? ona PC I can't get the stuff to process back LR3...

and with Aperture I cant get the files to actually show up..

Pete

fotografz

Great stuff Mark.

I am still vacillating between the 120 and the 180 but I will probably get the 120 because I want macro capabilities. I just bought a mint Zeiss/Hassy V 350 SA which I love more than any other 300mm lens I have seen. ( I never tried a Leica Module lens but Kurt owned them all as I recall so he may have some thoughts on this manner.) So that would leave me with a lens stable of 35 S, 70S, 110 Zeiss, 120 S and 350 SA Zeiss. Should cover my needs near as I can see. The 180 of course doubles as a fine portrait lens but with the Hassy FE 110 2.0 my portraits needs are covered big time.

Love to hear any comments from the various S2 users as to their lens experiences.

Woody
WOW! A Zeiss 350SA ... can't wait to see what you get from that. The closest I ever got to that kind of optical power was a Zeiss/Contax 350 APO which I adored. I simply do not use a lens that long often enough to shell out the big bucks for one ... but it'd be interesting to see the results.

Just give me a matched APO 1.4X extender for the 180AF and I'd be good for most anything. Also hoping for a 1:1 ELPRO for the 120 Macro like the R-100mm Macro. IMO, those two additions to the S system would provide more reasons to own both the 120 and 180.

Still waiting for my 120 ... and waiting, and waiting ...:ROTFL:

-Marc

You mentioned the 350mm SA a while back Woody. Clearly you were serious about it. Congratulations on finding one. You have a great lens line up planned.

Al clued me into the 350mm SA a few months ago so I started looking. I was only able to find one on eBay and the price made me reprioritize my lens line-up. In fact it made the 180mm price seem more reasonable (if that's possible). I will get a 350mm eventually.

woodyspedden

You mentioned the 350mm SA a while back Woody. Clearly you were serious about it. Congratulations on finding one. You have a great lens line up planned.

Al clued me into the 350mm SA a few months ago so I started looking. I was only able to find one on eBay and the price made me reprioritize my lens line-up. In fact it made the 180mm price seem more reasonable (if that's possible). I will get a 350mm eventually.
Mark

I have been waiting a long time for the 350 SA. If Leica do bring out a long lens for the S2, or as Marc Williams says an teleconverter for the 180 I may look again as autofocus still is a priority where possible. (Old eyes and all of that) If I ever do decide on such items, I believe that my 350SA, assuming I take pristine care of it (which I always do) will be worth at least what I paid for it. It is just that special a lens.

Anyway, I look forward to posting some images with it. I should have it this week although my daughter delivers her new baby tomorrow and Phyllis and I are taking care of the other two boys so I have no idea how much free time I will have in the immediate future.

Best

Woody

woodyspedden

Hey Woody, had to chuckle at the phrase "should cover my needs...". As if that's ever stopped any of us from getting more gear :) On a more serious note I think you've got a heck of a lineup there and the 350 SA is as good as it gets.
Hey David

I got this lens from Son and you know how much gear he has to sell. I never say never but I hope this lineup takes care of all my shooting needs. Any more is just plain gear lust although there is nothing inherently wrong withy that!

Hope to see you in Florida later this spring (Probably around May 15th

Woody

fotografz

Mark

I have been waiting a long time for the 350 SA. If Leica do bring out a long lens for the S2, or as Marc Williams says an teleconverter for the 180 I may look again as autofocus still is a priority where possible. (Old eyes and all of that) If I ever do decide on such items, I believe that my 350SA, assuming I take pristine care of it (which I always do) will be worth at least what I paid for it. It is just that special a lens.

Anyway, I look forward to posting some images with it. I should have it this week although my daughter delivers her new baby tomorrow and Phyllis and I are taking care of the other two boys so I have no idea how much free time I will have in the immediate future.

Best

Woody
Forget the lens chatter ... we better see some baby pictures with the S2 Woody!!!!!

Best to shoot them right after birth ... then again at 6 months when they have some sort of personality to exhibit. Go Grandpa, GO!

All the best,

-Marc

ceh

Forget the lens chatter ... we better see some baby pictures with the S2 Woody!!!!!

Best to shoot them right after birth ... then again at 6 months when they have some sort of personality to exhibit. Go Grandpa, GO!

All the best,

-Marc
+1:):)

David K

Workshop Member
btw - has anyone had any issues with SilverFx Pro and S2 files? ona PC I can't get the stuff to process back LR3...

and with Aperture I cant get the files to actually show up..

Pete
Can't help you Pete...I'm a mac guy. David F uses a PC... you might try him.