Site Sponsors
Page 33 of 50 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 35 43 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,650 of 2467

Thread: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

Pramote, you are going to need a bigger bag. And maybe a bigger car. I hope you are not trying to complete with Graham.

Post Thanks / Like

My Pleasure! Glad to see that your S system arrived. All the best.

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Landscapelover View Post

Red Rock Amphitheater, Morrison, CO
    Leica S2/Leica 35mm

Hi...I am new here. Just got the S2 and 2 lenses (70/35mm) few days ago. I am glad I bought them. It's a remarkable system and the lenses are the best!
    Thanks to Douglas, Joe, Derek, Cenek and Rob for your kind advices.
    Special thanks to Derek and Rob for sending me files to look at and Joe who sold me this fantastic lens (shipping the lens even before receiving the payment )
    Best
    Pramote
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Meet my Tiger. A 3 months addition to my family. White and brown English Bulldog

Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    Pramote, you are going to need a bigger bag. And maybe a bigger car. I hope you are not trying to complete with Graham.
    No! Bigger bag is not necessary, I can put them in another bag I also use the Think Thank belt like you do.
    Graham...Actually, I warned him few weeks ago to keep an eye on me

Best,
    Pramote
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ddanois View Post
    My Pleasure! Glad to see that your S system arrived. All the best.

Derek
    Thanks very much Derek for your friendship! I truly appreciate it.

Pramote

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mt. Evans, CO
    Leica S2/Leica Summarit S 35mm

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mt. Evans, CO
    Leica S2/Hasselblad HCD 28mm

Post Thanks / Like

A bit of interior architecture... intentionally desaturated

S2 28HCD

Attachment 74863
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

A family of great blue herons
    S2 with Mamiya 500 APO.
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

It's been raining a lot down here lately.
    S2 P / APO Elmar S 180 at f/8 / ISO 160

Post Thanks / Like

Lauwersmeer, last week

Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mt. Evans, CO
    Leica S2/Hasselblad HC 300mm

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mt. Evans at ~ 14, 000 ft
    Leica S2/Hasselblad HC 300mm

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kornati islands, Croatia. This week. S2 with HC210/4 lens, handheld from a fast going speedboat.

and two with the Summarit 70, on the Mana Island

Last edited by baudolino; 19th July 2013 at 05:10.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Krka National Park, Croatia

Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Downtown Denver
    Leica S2/Leica 120mm Macro

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Downtown Denver

- Marc

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    My "Like" button doesn't work ... so I just wanted to say I love the feel of this shot.

- Marc
    Thanks very much Marc!
    I've just got the lens and walked around the 16th-Street Mall with only this one. I wasn't disappointed!

Pramote

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Downtown Denver

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Everyone,

Just got an S2, 70, & 35. I also use my Hassy lenses via adapter.

Dragonfly taken with the S2 & Hassy 120mm. Train engine taken with Leica 35mm.

Thanks

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful images!

I had the chance to try one. Wonderful picture quality but just too big for me to carry around on a daily basis as I do the M9 - but then that's not the point of this camera - and a little tricky to focus on moving subjects.

---
    My current project: brusselspeople.tumblr.com
    Shooting film and digital with various (mostly Leica) rangefinders

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe the wrong place to ask but...
    I'm selling my IQ180 (family reasons) and am looking to another - more convenient - system to use.
    So I have an eye on the S2 system. Reading everywhere that the 'S' lenses are exceptional and that the camera body is a joy to operate (compared to the Mamiya DF camera f.i.).

Ok, great, very good points. But my concern is about image quality. It's already hard to downgrade from 80 to 37.5 million pixels (yes 80 millions pix are addictive), it would be even harder if the Kodak sensor of the S2 sits in a complete other league.
    From what I could check from downloads (dng files on RedDot forum) I'm not happy with the kodak sensor quality:
    * limited dynamic range (ugly burned highlights and dirty blacks)
    * strange colors (flashy sky f.i.) in Capture 1 & Lightroom 5
    * Noise even @ base iso160

Honestly, looking at those 5-6 downloaded images gives me souvenirs of my good old Nikon D2X camera sensor (not implying that the S2 has the same sensor quality than a D2X, just saying that the re-worked DNG I've seen do look like).

Caution !! (big, huge caution):
    Those remarks are based on just a few downloaded DNG files of street shots photos (with what's looking to be a dull sky). Capture 1 does not support an S2 profile / Lightroom 5 is new to me for color (only using it for my MM black& whites). I'm used to the quality of one of the best available sensor (IQ180).

I certainly don't want to start any war, just want to express my true 1st impressions / feeling about the few S2 files I could see.
    I'm well aware that the Leica S2 concept does offer a shooting experience that is impossible to match with a mamiya camera.

I'm just seriously worried that the S2 sensor could deliver a 'too limited' IQ for those who have been used to the cream of the crop Phase/Hassy recent sensors IQ.

So if some of you do have experience comparing both sensors (Pramote, Mark ?) I would be happy - with a wide open mind - to read your comments
    Last edited by anGy; 24th July 2013 at 08:48.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If you have seen raw files and you don't like them, you should probably give it a pass. It sounds like you have already made up your mind anyway...
    This is the kind of decision that others can't make for you. You should rent or demo the S2 and shoot some files with it in your own manner of working, and if those don't work for you, you have your answer.
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Thatīs a wise advise. But you guys have more options in the US than in certain european countries for renting material. Will check my options.

It's true I've already made up my mind about the DNG files I've seen. But those shots were also of poor quality (handholded, dull sky) and that does not favor the IQ perception.

Seen other (better) jpg & DNG files on RedDot forum yesterday. I like what I've seen when watched at screen size, lens drawing is beautifull. But some details really were not good at pixel level.

Even if the S2 system is a joy to use, even if the S lenses are the best ones, I personally know I won't be happy if the pixel peeped files don't match the ones of my former Phase P40+ back. I'm ready to make 1 step back in pure file quality (from my IQ180) and get a more flexible/fun system to use daily. But I won't be happy if I have to make 2 steps back and regret the P40+ pixel quality (on purpose not using 'image quality').

Hence my question to the IQ160/180 and Hassy users.
    Last edited by anGy; 25th July 2013 at 01:25.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by anGy View Post
    Thatīs a wise advise. But you guys have more options in the US than in certain european countries for renting material. Will check my options.

It's true I've already made up my mind about the DNG files I've seen. But those shots were also of poor quality (handholded, dull sky) and that does not favor the IQ perception.

Seen other (better) jpg & DNG files on RedDot forum yesterday. I like what I've seen when watched at screen size, lens drawing is beautifull. But some details really were not good at pixel level.

Even if the S2 system is a joy to use, even if the S lenses are the best ones, I personally know I won't be happy if the pixel peeped files don't match the ones of my former Phase P40+ back. I'm ready to make 1 step back in pure file quality (from my IQ180) and get a more flexible/fun system to use daily. But I won't be happy if I have to make 2 steps back and regret the P40+ pixel quality (on purpose not using 'image quality').

Hence my question to the IQ160/180 and Hassy users.
    Why would you think a 38 meg smaller sensor camera will "pixel peep" anywhere near as well as a full 645 80 meg, one or even a 60 meg? That is setting up expectations for failure.

Now, against a 40 meg 1.3X crop frame 645 it could be a better comparison.

I did exactly that. I owned a Hasselblad H4D/40 and a H4D/60. When Leica finally got lenses and updated profiles out the door, my Leica dealer offered to let me test a S2 and a couple of lenses. I was interested because of the S lenses foremost, the convenient form factor, and importantly the dual shutter with leaf-shutter lenses since I use lighting a lot outdoors ... while the H camera uses all leaf shutter lenses, I cannot use the H lenses in focal plane mode for a higher maximum shutter speed of 1/4000 in brighter ambient with wider open apertures like I can with the S2.

So, I bench tested the H4D/40 and the S2 ... objective being that if the S2 IQ came anywhere close, I'd buy it. It did, so I bought it and sold the H4D/40. The tests were apples-to-apples subjects and lighting, shot at the same time then processed in Lightroom which is my favored PP program for workflow reasons ... then finally printed to 17 X 22 for real world comparisons. The S2 IQ generally edged out the H4D/40 by a small margin which I mostly attributed to the all new Leica lenses.

The difference is that the later Phase backs and the H4D/60 are Dalsa sensors, where the H4D/40 and S sensors are Kodak made (now True Sense). My previous Leaf Aptus 75S was also a Dalsa sensor. Similar to different films, IMO each has to be shot and processed for the characteristics of the sensor. If you are use to a Dalsa sensor, and use the same shooting and processing techniques with the Kodak based camera, you may be disappointed. Since I was familiar with both types and used both for a good deal of time, I didn't have any issues.

In general, I like the more natural looking rendering of the S2, which others have also commented on in the "Fun With S2" threads. The S lenses are bightingly sharp and quite contrasy so even standard settings in LR tend to be over-the top. My first S2 shots were a bit crispy until I figured this out.

Really, the only way to evaluate, is to do it yourself and then give yourself time to adjust to the S sensor. Even then, if pixel level viewing is the criteria it may not be right for you.

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Leave your 80 megapixel back on a tech camera with wide angle lenses and some movements to d the stuff the sensors were designed to do - landscape for sure and architecture (maybe)

The S2/S systems kill any other medium format system for the ergonomics alone - if you dont like the S lenses you don't like the best that modern optics can deliver for a large chip - you can always dumb down the IQ of the S system via adaptor and use Pentax/Mamiya/Hasselblad V or H series lenses

The system is awesome - that why they can ask for the big bucks and get them.

Post Thanks / Like

Because of the reasons mentioned above I have to change my system for a more flexible/easy one to use. Had the D800 but finally sold it, uninspired by this unbeatable value for money camera. The new Leica M is too low in resolution (downgrading from 80 meg to 24 is a bit extreme) as I like to print large (40 to 60" wide).
    What's left ? the Leica S system, no other options I can think of.

The concept looks almost perfect (if only lenses could have been lighter and smaller with the same quality...). Those lenses are really appealing in the way they render focus vs out of focus fields, love their cinematic effect.
    Prices to jump in are really good now for a Demo S2 with a set of 3 demo unit lenses.

So the last concern left is the sensor quality of the S2.
    I'm really happy to read your conclusions on that, Marc, and I'm 100% sure I can rely on them totally.
    The downloaded dng's were disappointing to my eyes. I assume it is mainly due to the fact that they were shot handholded, at higher iso (most @ 400iso). And that's no good idea to look at those when you still have tech cam iso35 80meg pixels files in mind !
    Kodak sensor to deal with in a different way than Dalsa is a very good point.

I'm still concerned by some observations (ugly structured noise, banding, dynamic range) and start to wonder if one of the biggest advantages of the new S isn't its iso100 native sensitivity ?
    If yes, I'll have to consider buying it in place of the S2, but that's twice the price for the body and makes the overall budget jump too high.
    Definitively have to try an S2 by myself and get some sleep...

Post Thanks / Like

What a great thread! It will take me weeks to work myself through all the posted photographs!

My first contact with the Leica S system has been a few years back. I have been using mostly 35mm gear and tried myself through a myriad of medium format and 4x5 film gear as I wanted a different look for my street portraiture.

I held a S2 + 70mm in my hands in a shop for about 15 minutes and knew after that experience, that I wanted one badly, but the price would be just prohibitive.

… well forward until a few months ago, when I walked into one of my favourite shops, inquiring for some Mamiya lenses for my ZD, when the shop owner with a big grin put a Leica S2 on the table, giving me to understand, that he could make me a deal, I couldn't resist.

I talked with my boss and we agreed, that I wouldn't want to pay any money towards those expenses, so I swapped a bag of redundant Leica M lenses towards a Leica S2 + brand new 70 Summarit-S and am since some weeks in play and explore mode, getting to know the Leica S.

What a camera this is! I am still far away from climbing the learning curve, as the differences to 35mm and even medium format film are immense!

I am loving this camera so far and hope, to get used to it better, to start using it more instinctively (still fighting the ground glass focussing, as I am more of a rangefinder guy).

Here are a few shots from a recent early morning walk around town:

In my photographic journey, new gear always pushed my brain to learn and change. I have never been comfortable with colours and actually see the world photographically in monochrome, but the S2 real pushes me to start, doing more colour. I love when new gear does something like this - making you see the world with different eyes again!
    Dirk | teknopunk.com | 500px | flickr | facebook
    Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Because of the reasons mentioned above I have to change my system for a more flexible/easy one to use. Had the D800 but finally sold it, uninspired by this unbeatable value for money camera. The new Leica M is too low in resolution (downgrading from 80 meg to 24 is a bit extreme) as I like to print large (40 to 60" wide).
    What's left ? the Leica S system, no other options I can think of.

The concept looks almost perfect (if only lenses could have been lighter and smaller with the same quality...). Those lenses are really appealing in the way they render focus vs out of focus fields, love their cinematic effect.
    Prices to jump in are really good now for a Demo S2 with a set of 3 demo unit lenses.

So the last concern left is the sensor quality of the S2.
    I'm really happy to read your conclusions on that, Marc, and I'm 100% sure I can rely on them totally.
    The downloaded dng's were disappointing to my eyes. I assume it is mainly due to the fact that they were shot handholded, at higher iso (most @ 400iso). And that's no good idea to look at those when you still have tech cam iso35 80meg pixels files in mind !
    Kodak sensor to deal with in a different way than Dalsa is a very good point.

I'm still concerned by some observations (ugly structured noise, banding, dynamic range) and start to wonder if one of the biggest advantages of the new S isn't its iso100 native sensitivity ?
    If yes, I'll have to consider buying it in place of the S2, but that's twice the price for the body and makes the overall budget jump too high.
    Definitively have to try an S2 by myself and get some sleep...
    Buy into the S system for the glass because going forward we will see a higher res S body in the not too distant future and it will probably have a cmosis sensor,the cmosis sensor in the new M is supposed to be very good and by the time Leica add one to the S they will have fine tuned the performance ..

Rob

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Leica S2/Leica 35mm

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Maybe the wrong place to ask but...
    I'm selling my IQ180 (family reasons) and am looking to another - more convenient - system to use.
    So I have an eye on the S2 system. Reading everywhere that the 'S' lenses are exceptional and that the camera body is a joy to operate (compared to the Mamiya DF camera f.i.).

Ok, great, very good points. But my concern is about image quality. It's already hard to downgrade from 80 to 37.5 million pixels (yes 80 millions pix are addictive), it would be even harder if the Kodak sensor of the S2 sits in a complete other league.
    From what I could check from downloads (dng files on RedDot forum) I'm not happy with the kodak sensor quality:
    * limited dynamic range (ugly burned highlights and dirty blacks)
    * strange colors (flashy sky f.i.) in Capture 1 & Lightroom 5
    * Noise even @ base iso160

Honestly, looking at those 5-6 downloaded images gives me souvenirs of my good old Nikon D2X camera sensor (not implying that the S2 has the same sensor quality than a D2X, just saying that the re-worked DNG I've seen do look like).

Caution !! (big, huge caution):
    Those remarks are based on just a few downloaded DNG files of street shots photos (with what's looking to be a dull sky). Capture 1 does not support an S2 profile / Lightroom 5 is new to me for color (only using it for my MM black& whites). I'm used to the quality of one of the best available sensor (IQ180).

I certainly don't want to start any war, just want to express my true 1st impressions / feeling about the few S2 files I could see.
    I'm well aware that the Leica S2 concept does offer a shooting experience that is impossible to match with a mamiya camera.

I'm just seriously worried that the S2 sensor could deliver a 'too limited' IQ for those who have been used to the cream of the crop Phase/Hassy recent sensors IQ.

So if some of you do have experience comparing both sensors (Pramote, Mark ?) I would be happy - with a wide open mind - to read your comments
    Hi aNGY,

I had the IQ180 but traded for IQ260 and tried all HC/HCD/SK/Mamiya lenses including yours
    The Leica S2 camera body is the best MF DSLR. It's designed for photographers.
    Did I mention about the lenses? The best, my friend!
    Don't worry about 40mp. Although I've never tried to print 44", the 24" print is gorgeous. The JPEG on the web can't do the justice. Don't you think Leica will not come with 60, 80 mp in the future? Investing in Leica lens is liked "Gold" (although Joe told me the lenses are better than gold and I count his words).
    The only drawback is you don't have any more excuse if you don't take good photographs

One great things about using Leica is that you get to know fantastic people who are serious about photography. I've known a few only in the past few weeks.

Life is too short! Don't wait too long.

Believe me, your journey will end, like me.

Best
    Pramote

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Leica S2/Leica 35mm

Post Thanks / Like

Leica S2/Leica 35mm

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RVB View Post
    Pramote,that sky looks like it's on fire..
    Thanks very much Rob for your kind words! I really appreciate it.
    Pramote

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Pramote,
    Thanks for your insights. I had the chance to get one S2 for playing with this week-end.
    What I've seen from the very first tests does not match the DNG file quality I've downloaded from the internet, it is much, much better. Hope the rest of this little test session will keep the same pace !

Just some silly small jpegs,

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

[QUOTE=anGy;527750]Hello Pramote,
    Thanks for your insights. I had the chance to get one S2 for playing with this week-end.
    What I've seen from the very first tests does not match the DNG file quality I've downloaded from the internet, it is much, much better. Hope the rest of this little test session will keep the same pace !

Just some silly small jpegs,
    __________________________________________________ ________

You're very welcome anGy! I hope you will find what you are looking for.
    Pramote
    Last edited by Landscapelover; 28th July 2013 at 10:45.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is the Aspen in front of my home. It's a tree for my new lens test.
    Leica S2/Leica 180mm

Post Thanks / Like

Although a 55mm equivalent focal length lens is a must have in its kit I'm not completely sold on the 70mm but the 120mm is a dream lens, here's a mix of both (don't know how the details & color will survive the jpeg/internet/forum compression...)

Last edited by anGy; 29th July 2013 at 13:03.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Little test shot between IQ180 & S2 on monopod to check lens drawing,

S2 120mm @f2,5 iso160

IQ180 150mm f2,8 iso50

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Studio comparison,

S2 120mm f9,5 iso160

IQ180 150mm f11 iso35

Hard to judge jpegs but to my eyes the Leica S shot is a fraction sharper and I prefer the colour.. (the s120 is an awesome lens)

Rob

Post Thanks / Like

Although a 55mm equivalent focal length lens is a must have in its kit I'm not completely sold on the 70mm but the 120mm is a dream lens, here's a mix of both (don't know how the details & color will survive the jpeg/internet/forum compression...)

Beautiful series!

Post Thanks / Like

Although a 55mm equivalent focal length lens is a must have in its kit I'm not completely sold on the 70mm ...
    Could you elaborate on that? I'm curious to know your thoughts on the 70 mm.

Little test shot between IQ180 & S2 on monopod to check lens drawing ...
    So, what are your preliminary conclusions?

PS: Guys, please stop quoting the images over and over again ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RVB View Post
    ... we will see a higher res S body in the not too distant future and it will probably have a cmosis sensor,the cmosis sensor in the new M is supposed to be very good and by the time Leica add one to the S they will have fine tuned the performance ..
    I know this Cmosis-scenario is kind of like the S-forums general consensus on the roadmap of a future S sensor, but I really do wonder if Leica will go that route, the S being the flagship camera and all. Question is, does this little factory in Antwerp build better sensors than the likes of Truesense, Dalsa, Toshiba and last but not least Sony? We always hear they are able to make relatively small amounts, which was needed for the M and that certainly will be the case for the S. But do they make the 'best' sensor?

One more reason why I don't think this upscaled M Cmosis sensor is likely to happen is that this would yield ~ 37 MP. Though there are some that would be fine with so much resolution, I guess the market will be expecting more progress if Leica introduces a new S sensor at say, Photokina 2014, six years after the announcement of the S2. Which brings up another question: Should they go for better high ISO, higher resolution, or a compromise?

I know, it's all speculation, but I do think it's of paramount importance for the future of the S-line that Leica choose a next generation sensor very carefully, not based on what's available at Cmosis, or what they are familiar with. And also that S users think about their preferred future options and make their thoughts and expectations known to Leica.
    Last edited by peterv; 30th July 2013 at 02:29. Reason: Typo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peterv View Post
    Could you elaborate on that? I'm curious to know your thoughts on the 70 mm.

So, what are your preliminary conclusions?

PS: Guys, please stop quoting the images over and over again ...
    Each & every (good) picture taken with the 120mm is beautiful, crystal clear, with lots of micro contrast in the sharp areas and lovly smooth, natural bokeh in the oof areas. It gives a waouw efffect when discovering the pic on a big screen.
    I don't feel that waouw effect with the 75mm. Pictures are also very good but sharpness and bokeh (also due to a shorter focal lens obviously) are less impressive. That really need to be checked of course as I only made around 100 pictures with the S2.

Comparing the S2 with the IQ is not that difficult, these are 2 quite different systems. Wraping it up shortly in english isn't. Maybe I'll try to make a detailed summary.
    As an executive summary I would just say that the S2 is a clear winner for me when using the systems without tripod. The Phase One DF camera lacks ergonomics and IQ180 need to leave it's native iso and loses its image quality advantages.
    But God this image quality is stellar @ native iso35. And when used with a tripod the DF camera becomes easy to use and a non issue.
    In a studio for instance the Phase system produces richer, tonaly more detailled pictures with more dynamic range and zero noise.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, Iīam new to MF world with my S2 Here are some of my first shots taken
    with this great camera and 120/2.5

f/5.6

f/4
    Last edited by aCIDfire; 31st July 2013 at 08:26.

Post Thanks / Like

ok let's join this thread with some pictures (I hope you don't mind some soft nude picutres in this landscape thread).

S2 with Summarit 70

PS: will have to check how the pictures can be seen fully
    Last edited by stephan_w; 31st July 2013 at 03:54. Reason: adding text

Post Thanks / Like

S2 + Summarit 70/2.5@ f/3.4

Summarit 120/2.5@ f/4 /PPīd with Alien Skin Exposure/

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like