Site Sponsors
Page 39 of 50 FirstFirst ... 29 37 38 39 40 41 49 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,950 of 2463

Thread: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

Post Thanks / Like

Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

Georg, I shoot street photography, landscape & sometimes portraits. I could have a very used S2-P for 8k Euros while the (new) S 006 would be at 13k Euros (I am assigned in a foreign country outside Europe for my job, so I can have the VAT returned...).

Post Thanks / Like

Local vineyards..

Leica S2 + SMC Pentax-M* 67 300mm F4 ED [IF] @ f/4
    Leica S2 | S-35,70,120,180 | Hasselblad HC 100/2.2 | Pentax 67 M* 300/4 + 1.4 TC| Mamiya C 55/2.8 N, 80/2.8 N, A 120/4, 150/2.8 D | Sony A7r II + various lenses
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/marek.dvorsky.9
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

120 APO CS + Profoto ProB4 w/Octa and 22" beauty dish

same session
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

great images.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, wow, wow! Leica should definitely use these pictures to promote its S system!

Which body did you use : S2 or S 006?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas73 View Post
    Wow, wow, wow! Leica should definitely use these pictures to promote its S system!

Which body did you use : S2 or S 006?
    Thank you Typ 006

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

checking out the 100mm at wide apartures:
    [IMG]L1008273 by paratom511, on Flickr[/IMG]

L1008275 by paratom511, on Flickr
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

one more with the 100mm...nobody here so I can just shoot biological creatures
    L1008289 by paratom511, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Sunrise in Winterland

S (006), 180mm, f/6,8, 1/1000, ISO 800, tripod.@ Beitostølen, Norway
    - ErlingMM

Post Thanks / Like

Went out for a hike in the woods with my 6 year old and the S (006) + 30-90 in tow.

f/8, 2s, ISO 100
    Aravind
    www.akimagery.com
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Roger Daltrey - The WHO Hits 50 at the Birmingham NIA, UK on December 7th this year
    Not sure how many rock photographers use a S006 - the pit isn't the normal S territory

S006 70/2.5 S

Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Two from today walking the dog in the forest around Brussels. Leica S and 30-90 mm zoom.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Georg
    My new website (under construction) at Zenfolio
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The frost outlining those branches almost looks like solarisation!

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

More 100/2 photos please @Paratom
    Hopefully something 1-3m away

Post Thanks / Like

Few quick S questions if you all don't mind.

1) For tack sharp images, what shutter speed would you recommend with 120/70/35? 2xF or more??

2) Raw + JPG writing (one to CF other to SD). Did anyone ever figure out if it writes the RAW then from the RAW creates the JPG. Or are they saved independently of each other (think fotographz was trying to figure this out due to an SD/CF corruption).

3) Would SD formatter third party software for M240 also work on the S?

4) How do people feel about the performance of the 45 vs 35. From what I've read briefly it's better. What about it is better? How's the closer focusing performance of the two lenses?

5) Can anyone comment on the quality of the 45/2.8 Contax645 and 140/2.8 Contax645 lens vs the Leica counterparts? From a portrait perspective, not a landscape one.

6) Who's owned and sold their S-system due to not liking it?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aDam007 View Post

1) For tack sharp images, what shutter speed would you recommend with 120/70/35? 2xF or more??

I try to use 1/250 when possible, but thats mainly due to my kids and not camera shake. Overall I find the slap of mirror really well damped. I had longer exposure times like 1/30 or 1/60 which led to images which I found ok.

2) Raw + JPG writing (one to CF other to SD). Did anyone ever figure out if it writes the RAW then from the RAW creates the JPG. Or are they saved independently of each other (think fotographz was trying to figure this out due to an SD/CF corruption).

3) Would SD formatter third party software for M240 also work on the S? I dont know

4) How do people feel about the performance of the 45 vs 35. From what I've read briefly it's better. What about it is better? How's the closer focusing performance of the two lenses? I feel (only a feeling never did any comparison) the 45 to have maybe slightly more "pop", saturation and contrast. But I never missed anything in images form the 35. The 45 is a little longer and heavier - in this regard I prefer the 35. I would probably decide based on focal lengths.

5) Can anyone comment on the quality of the 45/2.8 Contax645 and 140/2.8 Contax645 lens vs the Leica counterparts? From a portrait perspective, not a landscape one. Sorry, never used the Contax lenses but I use the S-lenses for images of my kids and find the Leica S lenses to render very nice, they are sharp, but with a nice bokeh and a gentle rolloff.

I wish some of the lenses (for example the 45) were a little smaller and lighter. Thats about it what I do not like...ah-and the price)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

3) Would SD formatter third party software for M240 also work on the S?

4) How do people feel about the performance of the 45 vs 35. From what I've read briefly it's better. What about it is better? How's the closer focusing performance of the two lenses?

5) Can anyone comment on the quality of the 45/2.8 Contax645 and 140/2.8 Contax645 lens vs the Leica counterparts? From a portrait perspective, not a landscape one.

IMO ...

1) Tack sharp at what viewing distance? The acuity of these lenses is beyond question, so to get the absolute best usually means a tripod, and mirror up ... followed by a monopod and at least 1.5XF. The 120/2.5 and 180/3.5 are a handful when shot hand-held, so the highest shutter speed possible is recommended. I use a Camadapter hand-strap with a dual lug ARCA type Quick Release so I can also have a shoulder strap. That helps a lot with hand-held work, and allows swift mounting/unmounting to a mono-pod (I also use a RRS HD mono-pod head rather than a L bracket).

2) Still don't know.

3) Personally, I wouldn't do it. I believe the SD Society (or some such name I can't recall) offers an "official" SD formatter. I would just buy new SD cards for the S, format them in camera and keep them segregated and dedicated.

4) I have both lenses in CS versions. The 45 is a standout lens but quite frankly we are splitting nano hairs here when comparing the S35 and S45 ... or any of the S Primes. I find that I gravitate to the 35 for "environmental portraits" and use it a lot for group shots and interior people shots ... where I tend to select the 45 when just carrying one lens while walking about (just like I carry a lone 35mm lens on my MM and A7R).

5) I owned both Contax lenses and feel they were fine on the Contax 645 using film and/or a less demanding digital back. The 140 would probably be a fine lens for S portraits because of its character ... but I personally like the S120/2.5 better. I do not think the C45mm is optically in the same class as the S45, but it sure is smaller.

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Marc, thanks for responding in depth.

1) Fair enough. I suppose I should have said the following. I shoot my 5D3 with 35/50 at 125th and get perfect results. The 85 is good on 180th but best on 250th. I'm shooting mainly portraits, so ideally speaking I want this camera for its "portability" I dislike tripods and monopods. Will this be a problem for me? Will I find that I'm shooting the 70mm at 500th and still getting blur from the shutter/mirror. I guess "acceptable" is relative, but something that's good, even for a pixel peeper.
    RRS HD mono-pod head - Thanks for the tip. I'll look into it...

2) Seriously, why hasn't anyone called Leica about this?

3) Yeah I have SD Formatter, used it a few times for the M240, didn't make much of a speed difference. I'll just get a few dedicated cards I suppose. How many other people had the same issues you did so far? It's pretty isolated right?

4) Ok, I don't need both lenses, and if both are great, then I'll just go for the one that suits me better FL wise.. I suppose 45/100 or 35/70.

5) Good to know. I'm a bit scared though that you're calling the C45 SMALLER then the S45.. Yikes, I haven't seen it, but how big is it?!

Post Thanks / Like

Paratom - Thanks for the confidence boost. I'm just about pulling the plug on one of these systems.

Post Thanks / Like

aDam007

I bought in to the S system a few months back, it's a system that has to work for me and earn money, it's a business tool and if it didn't work out it would be replaced immediately. That said, it is by far the best camera I have ever used, both from a functionality and image quality stand, it is an absolute pleasure to use.

I have found the 70mm to be very sharp hand held at normal speeds, perfectly sharp at 100th with good technique, I use strobes with portrait work so less of an issue for me but the 100mm is an amazing lens. For personal work I shoot pretty much always on a tripod so have no problems, I love the 2 second timer as it lifts the mirror straight away then shoots, excellent.

I have come from tech cams to an extensive Nikon kit and even though I still own some Nikon stuff it never gets used, the Leica does everything, I am even preferring to stitch with the 70 rather than use a wider lens on the D800E.

I am working on building my kit, I bought the 70 and 100 straight away as they are my most used focal lengths commercially, I have decided to go next for the 45mm and will follow with the 30mm, for me that would cover everything.

I was very close to buying the Otus lenses for the Nikon but on trying the S I was blown away, viewfinder, ergonomics, everything, I may sound like a fanboy but I promise you, if it didn't work I would be out straight away but I love it, it makes me want to shoot all the time.

Have fun if you go for it, for what I do it's the perfect camera.

Mat

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mat,

Thanks for the informative response. When it comes to Leica we're all fanboys a little bit. To be honest, I'm using the M system right now for work. With the odd Canon shoot here and there.

I have an idea of how I'd like to use the camera system, but I think user experience is tops for me. Since most of the time IQ requirements are met with cameras that are 10 years old. I use the M240 cameras because I just love the user experience more then anything. And I've gotten so use to RF focusing, that I'm fast enough for my needs.

With that said, the idea is to ween myself off the M system a little bit, by way of the S system. If it doesn't happen, I guess I'll just sell it off and go back to the M + Canon. BTW when I mean ween, I just mean that I want to be happy enough with another system, that I'm less reliant on the M system for work.. And so I end up using it as more of a personal small camera.

You guys all seem to love your systems. And I've talked to a few people who sold their s-systems but have nothing but good things to say about it.

I've used it briefly in Singapore for a test shoot (S006 old firmware), and honestly I hated it. But it wasn't because of the system, or the end results. Mostly it was because of the level of hype the system was given by the people who lent it to me. I was under the impression it was a sports camera the way these reps were talking. Going on about using it for Polo playing, Racing, Indoor sports.. By god my Canon 1Dx can't even keep up with some of the polo ponies I shoot! So when I tested the camera with a simple bridal shoot, I found myself struggling to get people in focus while they walked towards me. I ended up having to rely on manual focusing. Which in turn made me just put the camera away and pull out my M240.. But that was more a matter of me not being mentally prepared to deal with the shortcomings of the system.

Brings me to my last question..

Has anyone used the Split Screen? I've seen a video, looks great. Wondering about it's real world usage. I had one in my film camera YEARS ago, and enjoyed it.

Thanks again for all the attention!

Post Thanks / Like

I thought about buying the split screen with the initial purchase but decided to give the standard screen a go, coming from D800's, the difference in the viewfinder is incredible, I'm a huge manual focus fan, I use it 90% of the time and it is so easy with the standard screen that I haven't bothered to change.

With the firmware upgrade the focusing is excellent, very quick on the 70 and 100 although I don't use focus tracking, I have shot a couple of skiers doing tricks recently but went for pre-focussing on a point and hitting it at the right time, rather than a number of shots before and after from a faster camera, I end up with the single shot that I wanted, just a different way of working to the faster cameras. I don't do weddings so no idea how I would approach people moving towards me.

It sounds like you are ready to try it and see how it turns out, seems the best way to me, the prices on the 006 are really good at the moment so worth a punt in my opinion.

Mat

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I once had a split Screen in the S2 but sold it with the S2. I find Manual Focus works also quite good with the Standard Screen.
    AF is very accurate but ist not nearly as fast as a fast Canon or Nikon camera.
    Sometimes I miss a shot with the S which I could have nailed with a Canikon DSLR, but the rate of Special shots is higher with the S (in my experience).
    I think the big viewfinder helps to really see what you photograph. I also really like how the lenses draw, inlcuding the out of Focus Areas.
    If there wasnt that massive size Advantage (and low light advantage) of the M I would just allways use the S.
    I think one other "davantage"of the S it forces me to use primes.
    I seem to take better Images with primes.

Post Thanks / Like

Paratom - "Davantage" indeed. I used zooms once a LONG LONG time ago.. I actually picked up a zoom the other weekend, a friends zoom. I was really weirded out by it. It was strange and foreign.

Good to hear. I guess I'll start with the standard screen and only buy the spilt if I'm not having a good time after about a month or so of usage.

BTW Mat, I love your "first picture shot with the S-system". Amazing animals, beautiful coloring!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Adam, it's not a shot I ever thought I'd get with the S, handheld as I jumped out of the car, ISO800, autofocus was spot on and I really like the rendition.

I think trying the standard screen is a good idea, it really works great and changing screens is easy if you go that route.

Looking forward to seeing some of your shots with it.

Mat

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Paratom - "Davantage" indeed. I used zooms once a LONG LONG time ago.. I actually picked up a zoom the other weekend, a friends zoom. I was really weirded out by it. It was strange and foreign.

Good to hear. I guess I'll start with the standard screen and only buy the spilt if I'm not having a good time after about a month or so of usage.

BTW Mat, I love your "first picture shot with the S-system". Amazing animals, beautiful coloring!
    I use zooms with the Sony but I often make the big fault to zoom in instead of Walking a Little closer, and I sometimes Forget about the "effect" of a certain focal length.
    When using primes I know These primes and choose the focal length according to my "Vision" of the shot.

Post Thanks / Like

Since there is a small discussion on S (S2) and lenses... Here is one question. It has been treated already, also in this Forum/Thread , but here it is again.

I am a newcomer to the S world, using a (very lightly) used S2 for now and with the intention to upgrade to S (006) at some point. I am a Leica M user and was a Hasselblad H/V user, but sold all H stuff and kept some V lenses which I now use on the S2. I do landscapes and close-ups mainly in nature, mainly in the mountains, often with tripod/monopode. I started thinking of the 30 + 70 + 120 primes, but I am getting more and more convinced about the 30-90 zoom + 120... A little less weight (compared to the couple 30 + 70), a little less quality in the corners probably, but much more flexibility and - above all - more limited need of changing lenses in dusty, rainy and windy environments, reducing sensor exposure to all sorts of particles...

Is this a wise decision, or the primes would be - much - better than the zoom?
    Last edited by Ant58; 12th January 2015 at 11:38.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ant58 View Post
    The zoom is good, not so sharp in the corners fully open, stepping down 1-2 stops helps. The main "problem" with this lens is aperture, it is a daylight lens, but a very good and versatile one. I sold my 30mm after I got this one, felt redundant. But later a bought the 24 (fantastic !)
    - ErlingMM

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ant58 View Post
    Since there is a small discussion on S (S2) and lenses... Here is one question. It has been treated already, also in this Forum/Thread , but here it is again.

I am a newcomer to the S world, using a (very lightly) used S2 for now and with the intention to upgrade to S (006) at some point. I am a Leica M user and was a Hasselblad H/V user, but sold all H stuff and kept some V lenses which I now use on the S2. I do landscapes and close-ups mainly in nature, mainly in the mountains, often with tripod/monopode. I started thinking of the 30 + 70 + 120 primes, but I am getting more and more convinced about the 30-90 zoom + 120... A little less weight (compared to the couple 30 + 70), a little less quality in the corners probably, but much more flexibility and - above all - more limited need of changing lenses in dusty, rainy and windy environments, reducing sensor exposure to all sorts of particles...

I have the Zoom,it's no match for the primes..and no CS option..but its handy in certain situations.

Rob
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RVB View Post
    I have the Zoom,it's no match for the primes..and no CS option..but its handy in certain situations.

Rob
    I think the zoom is fantastic, in particular for travel of nature work where you carry your gear on a hike. I would like to see examples where the zoom is no match for the primes--and an explanation what "no match" means in this context. The primes are faster, but for most situations this does not make a huge difference, certainly not for any landscape work.
    Georg

Post Thanks / Like

Primes are fast, the zoom isn't. The CCD sensors are not really great at iso higher than 320 (IMO). So if I see great interest for the zoom with the next CMOS 007 generation, I don't really see how it can be optimally used with the CCD bodies ?
    Jump to iso 800 and higher for enough speed ? then a D810/A7r could possibly do the trick (better ?). Use a tripod to fight the speed problem and you lose the 'easy for travel' aspect.
    Considering the climate of the region where I live I often have to use iso 320 and F4 or faster.
    Are you guys using your zoom with high iso and with satisfaction or only in bright daylight time ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GMB View Post
    I think the zoom is fantastic, in particular for travel of nature work where you carry your gear on a hike. I would like to see examples where the zoom is no match for the primes--and an explanation what "no match" means in this context. The primes are faster, but for most situations this does not make a huge difference, certainly not for any landscape work.
    Georg,the edges and corners are not even close to the primes,I'll post examples tomorrow.It's not bad at the wider end but past 55mm the difference is quite clear.

Rob

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much for all the comments, and I will eagerly follow what comes next, as can still decide between the 30+70 and the 30-90.

Corner sharpness can be an issue, but very rough sample shots I took with the various lenses did not display such a huge difference at f/6.8 or f/8. However, it was nothing scientific, so I am curious about more refined tests in controlled situations.

The zoom is slower, yes, and that worries me - also for the pleasure of looking into the finder. But in practice, I tend to close to at least f/6.8 for landscapes, and prefer to carry a light tripod, and when hiking, I did not find that using it makes things "much" more cumbersome. A bit yes, but it is not street photography anyway... While it would be nicer, as I mentioned, not to change lens all the time when the wind is blowing around leaves and dust... Right now I use ISO 160 and 320 with Hassy V lenses (50 CFE, 120 macro and 180) while waiting to make up my mind about the Leica ones...

So, waiting for more input!! Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

Ant58 - I have no idea how good or bad the zoom is. But if the way you shoot suggests that the zooms limitations wouldn't bother you, then I'd say go for it.

However, is it really that much more troublesome to carry two lenses in a small camera bag along with your body and tripod? Because if it isn't, you get the flexibility of speedy lenses and you know the IQ is at least a touch better then from the zoom.

And at the end of the day, you seem more worried about IQ then anything else. Or else you would run around with a D810 and lenses.

---------------

Another question set from me.
    Would a Gitzo traveller tripod be sufficient for the S? Asking because I'm trying to figure out which tripod to pack for the odd time I want to do some tripod work. Would love to get away with using a lighter easier to fold up and carry tripod.

I read somewhere that the 70s has a built in filter. As in, the front element is covered by glass. Should I not attach a filter to the lens then? I usually put filters on my lenses when walking around as it's easier to clean the filter, and if damaged easier to replace.

Is the sensor on the S similar to work with when compared to the M9. In the color sense, and also in the sense where it's better for me to shoot a black frame at iso 320 then punch it up to 1250 then it is to shoot straight 1250?
    Because I find with both the M9 and M240 it's better to underexpose and bring it up a stop or two. Turns out cleaner and with better colors.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I think the Zoom is specially interesting for the wider range, where you do not loose much Speed compared to the primes.
    I sometimes can decide if I should bring 30 or 35 or even 45mm.
    If I bring 30 or 35 I think the gap to 180mm is so big I want to also bring 70mm.
    So for bright conditions, or for People who do landscape and do use a tripod, the Zoom could probably make life easier and the luggage lighter.
    For example bring the zoom + 180mm, or the zoom and the 45/2.8 if you are not sure if you run into a "dark" Environment.
    On the other side I use the S a lot for Family and Portrait where I want a certain short exposure time to freeze movements, and there I often do use the f2.0-4.0 f-stops.

Post Thanks / Like

However, is it really that much more troublesome to carry two lenses in a small camera bag along with your body and tripod? Because if it isn't, you get the flexibility of speedy lenses and you know the IQ is at least a touch better then from the zoom.

And at the end of the day, you seem more worried about IQ then anything else. Or else you would run around with a D810 and lenses.
    aDam007,

thanks fort the comments!

Right, I am using the Leica S for IQ... I was using the Hasselblad H4D before, excellent IQ but I found the camera system a bit too heavy for my knees and shoulder to carry around for few-hours hikes (getting old, and carried too many weights in the past...). Also, I was won by the beauty and ergonomics of the Leica S... And one needs to change from time to time...

What worries me in having the primes is not so much to carry two of them, but the need for changing lenses in dirty environments... When you change lens it seems that a stove mouth opens in the camera!!

Another question set from me.
    Would a Gitzo traveller tripod be sufficient for the S? Asking because I'm trying to figure out which tripod to pack for the odd time I want to do some tripod work. Would love to get away with using a lighter easier to fold up and carry tripod.
    I use a big Gitzo when I do some wildlife telephoto shots (not with the Leica...),
    a smaller Manfrotto for the MF and a super-small plastic, ridicoulous tripod for the Leica M. This latter is something that any serious photographer would laugh at, but... it is perfect for the little Leica even for rather long exposure times.

When I looked at the Gitzo model you indicated, it did not really excite me for the 4-section leg structure (I prefer 3) and for the central column... But I was unable to find, till now, a similar model with 3 sections and no central column.
    Any suggestion is very welcome in this sense. But for stability, I was happy with my Manfrotto for MF, so I think that size would be good.

Is the sensor on the S similar to work with when compared to the M9. In the color sense, and also in the sense where it's better for me to shoot a black frame at iso 320 then punch it up to 1250 then it is to shoot straight 1250?
    Because I find with both the M9 and M240 it's better to underexpose and bring it up a stop or two. Turns out cleaner and with better colors.
    This is my experience with the M240 too (underexpose and bring it up a stop), but less so with the M9 I had before. Since the S2/S sensor is similar (but different processor/software I believe) to the M9, I am not sure with the S. Will try!
    Last edited by Ant58; 15th January 2015 at 06:44.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paratom View Post
    I think the Zoom is specially interesting for the wider range, where you do not loose much Speed compared to the primes.
    I sometimes can decide if I should bring 30 or 35 or even 45mm.
    If I bring 30 or 35 I think the gap to 180mm is so big I want to also bring 70mm.
    So for bright conditions, or for People who do landscape and do use a tripod, the Zoom could probably make life easier and the luggage lighter.
    For example bring the zoom + 180mm, or the zoom and the 45/2.8 if you are not sure if you run into a "dark" Environment.
    On the other side I use the S a lot for Family and Portrait where I want a certain short exposure time to freeze movements, and there I often do use the f2.0-4.0 f-stops.
    Paratom, thanks!

Yes, one solution could be the zoom (mainly for wides) and the 120 macro - for close-ups and longer reach... Or the zoom plus a 70 for low-light conditions (I was really struck by the quality of the 70, more mixed feelings about the 30 - but just superficial impressions!).

Mmmmh. Food for thought...

Post Thanks / Like

I'm considering buying this as an alternative to bringing my traveler tripod: Gitzo GT1532
    I'm also not one for so many sections (but the small size of the traveler is hard to beat.)
    The only other tripod I have is heavy, because of the centre column is off centre and can rotate for macro shooting.

Anyway sorry for the off topic post.

Post Thanks / Like

Take a look at the RRS TQC-14 tripod..very light and really sturdy for its small size..

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I use a GT2542L and feel it works fine. I avoid to use the center extension though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would also say that the zoom does not come close to the primes for edge to edge performance, at least at longer range and at longer focal lengths. I kept thinking it was my lens, and brought it to Leica in person. They checked it at the factory while I was there and adjusted it to their best ability, but it still is occasionally soft on the edges. In some photos it does not make a big difference, in others a very clear one. I have posted threads about it before, but am on a trip so not in the position to go find them. That said, at 30-50mm it is mostly very very good, and extremely good on center and over much of the image. The edges suffer, however, particularly in the 70-90mm range. If you look at the MTF, you can see the pattern clearly. The performance is very good, and then takes a dive as you get towards the outer edges. I have not found aperture to help all that much. Perhaps a bit if you compare wide open to f/8 or f/11, but it does not improve very significantly.

I live in a country which is characterized by long vistas with very little atmospheric haze, so clear detail at long distances is very often visible. For this kind of work, I think the prime lenses, in particular the 35mm, 45mm and 120mm are superb. The 70mm is also great, but has a bit of curvature of field that sometimes shows up. Those others are generally perfect all the time.
    Again, just my experience...but if you are primarily into the S system for the high resolution and image quality in highly demanding situations, I would say the primes will be better. The zoom is superb for portraits, events, travel and reportage, and is spectacular in every way other than absolute edge performance.
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tripod info. I'll check them out!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tripod info. I'll check them out!
    I have to add that I did not check thos Combo with tele lens and I dont use the tripod often, I also did not use it with really Long exposure times.

Post Thanks / Like

Shall we have a photograph? Lots of good info but nice to look at some pictures too.

This taken this morning down at the lake.

http://matrichardson.com/
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

mjr - I agree.. I'd love to see more photos. I'm gonna post some as soon as the camera's in my hands. Until then, I'm going to rely on everyone else to make me jealous.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Beautiful Mat! I will post some in the same vein from a few weeks ago.
    Here is one from early afternoon in Iceland...up the hill a bit so it was colder. -8C and blowing 20m/s (45mph)

The wind calmed and the moon came out a few days later:
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Lovely Stuart, I'm heading back to Iceland soon, running a workshop there in September, will pop in and say hi, my brother lives in Reykjavik and Akureyri.

Here's another from a couple of days ago...

http://matrichardson.com/
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

S2,Summarit-S,70/2.5
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

S2, Vario Elmar @60 mm

Georg
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Here it is, a small image from a little mountain stream at the beginning of January. Leica S2, Hasselblad Sonnar 4/180.